The Verdict

Story of Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Every single senior royal member of the house of Kim gathered in the Throne Hall, from the most senior to the youngest Princess, sans one person, Prince Jongin. Even the King who summoned the royal family looked confused.

“Why do we gather here today? A weekday out of all day. Did we not just saw each other on Sunday?” Grand Princess Consort Areum asked her husband. “Weekdays are usually for official business, and we are rarely invited to the Throne Hall.”

One reason came to the mind of the Grand Princess Consort, she held her husband’s hand excitedly, “Do you think Jusang Jeonha will announce you as Crown Prince?”

“Silent,” the Grand Prince ordered, but he could not hide his smile.

Prince Jongin finally arrived, followed by his cousin Baek Hyun and journalist from News Kyunghyang, Shim Daeun. The three of them bowed to their Monarch, and the King pardoned them. “I see the niece of Hyunjoo Bubuin is here,” the King smiled, “How is your grandfather?”

“Thank you for your consideration, Jeonha, he is well, resting after giving the title of Head Clan to my father,” Baekhyun answered.

“Good, without wasting any time, for what reason you asked us gather here today?” the King asked.

The rest of the royal member looked around and whispered to each other, they did not expect it was Prince Jongin who summoned them. Jongin looked straight to his grandfather’s eyes, “I am here to report a crime Jeonha.”

The rest of the audience gasped, still composed, the King asked, “What crime is it?”

“There is a suspicion about the circumstances around Minseok Seja,” Jongin replied, “It was miss Shim Daeun from News Kyunghyang who started having query,” Jongin signaled Daeun to explain.

Daeun closed her eyes and took a deep breath, “My nam—,“ Daeun’s nervousness resulted her pharynx to dry, she continued after clearing , “My name is Shim Daeun, I am currently working with News Kyunghyang.” She took a step closer to the King, “I suspected and still do, a foul play regarding the death of Minseok Seja and his family, including the late first Crown Princess along with their children.”

The Queen titled her head, her attention directed fully on the journalist, “That is a serious allegation, if you are not able to prove yourself correct, heavy punishment will not be able to be avoided.”

The volume of the mother of the country’s voice brought the audience to their knees. With her head facing the polished floor, Daeun continued, “I will not dare to come to you without strong evidence to support my claim.”

Grand Princess Consort Areum nudged her husband, her arms trembling in fear, while the Grand Prince maintained his composure. The King held his consort’s arm, “Tell us your reason.”

“Both Sejabin had difficult pregnancies, from countless pregnancies only two Princes lived,” Daeun started, “The First Crown Princess even died during labor.”

“It is an unfortunate event but postpartum hemorrhage is not uncommon,” Grand Princess Consort Areum interrupted.

The King raised his hand, “I will do the interrogation, I ask no one to speak without my permission,” he signaled Daeun to go on.

“The late Wonson died two months before her was going to be confirmed as Grand Heir, and the late Wangseson died the day after his confirmation. Our beloved country lost its Crown Prince with no surviving heir,” Daeun took a breath pause, “I do think that is enough reason to start having questions.”

“You have a logical argument, but it is all still only theory,” the King ordered, “Present your evidence to us.”

“With your permission Jeonha,” Baekhyun requested, earning a nod from the Sovereign, “I will invite Moon Cheongran to the Throne Hall.”

The door to the hall opened, a woman stood in the middle of the entrance, slowly she walked inside the room with her head directed to the floor. She expertly arrived beside the police officer without lifting her head once, indicating the years of practice as a palace attendant. “Long live the King! Long live the Queen!” she bowed to the monarch.

“Lift your head and explain your reason immediately!”

The former court lady stayed on her knees, “I recently retired from my position as senior court lady at the Crown Princess' Residence, the reason, because I received a large sum of money from Daegun, as I have completed the task he gave me during the twenty years I worked for both Sejabin.”

The eyes in the hall went to both Grand Princes, as the crease started showing on his forehead, the King asked, “What is the task you were given?”

“To prevent either to conceive a successful pregnancy, giving birth to a Prince, and nurturing a healthy Wonson,” she replied, “Please punish me for my sins Jeonha.”

The Queen walked down the throne, she approached the former court lady and kneeled in front of her, followed by Daeun and Baekhyun who was standing up, “How did you do that?” her trembling voice filled the room.

“I- I put Misoprostol to First Sejabin’s night tea, which she took before bed regularly, and I tricked the Second Sejabin to also take one every night,” she answered, drops of tears started streaming down her face, “It was also me who fed Wonson Thallium,” she showed her hand that became ruined due to direct exposure of the poison.

“How could you do that?!” the mother of the country shook the sinner, “Did they mistreated you? What can a four years old do you wrong?” the sudden stress built was too much for the elder Queen, her body started to lost control and she broke down on the foot of the throne steps.

Princess Mi In and Princess Jungah ran to their grandmother, both of them supported her to stand up, “I will not leave this room without answer!” the Queen refused to leave.

“My dear, you are clearly not in condition to stay,” the King reasoned.

“This wench killed my daughter-in-laws and grandson!” the Queen lost her composure, “Do you also killed my son?!”

“No no no! No, Mama,” Moon Cheongran held the Queen’s ankle, “I would not dare do such thing.”

“Tell me! Is money your motive to do such heinous crime?” the Queen asked in disbelief, the retired court lady kept her silent. With all her might, the Regina kicked the woman holding her leg. “Jeonha! Please sentence her with the most hideous punishment possible!”

“Please calm your anger Jungjeon,” the King urged, “These are all circumstantial claims, do you have any prove to support your claim?”

The former court lady slowly put down the bag on her shoulder, she looked around for someone to take the bane to the culprit’s existence, as there was no attendant present inside the Throne Hall.

Spontaneously Princess Resa stood up to take the bag, however, “Halt in your position Resa Gunbuin,” the King co

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter