The Unbusy

Story of Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Who are they to stop me from joining the investigation?” Seyeon complained before taking another mouthful of red velvet cake.

“Hmm... You know, just the prince, who’s uncle is the prime suspect, one of News Kyunghyang youngest journalist-slash-senior-assistant, and a police officer with promising future as a detective,” Kyungsoo answered without giving his attention away from the cakes.

“You know that you are no help in calming Seyeon down, right?” Jinjoo glared at her friend. “How busy have they been? It has been a while since I saw either of those three.”

“Tell me about it, even I can barely see my husband. The only indication that he went home is, his arm around me when I got woken up at dawn or his disheveled side of the bed,” Seyeon angrily took another bite.

“I know that solving a crime is not an easy task, but I never thought it would take this long,” Jinjoo looked out beyond the café window to the orange leaves falling to the pedestrian zone.

Kyungsoo took a bite of the cake on Jinjoo’s plate, “That is also the reason there are Statute of Limitation.”

“You know what? I am just glad that my father-in-law is not involved in this conspiration,” Seyeon convinced her friends, even though it seems more like she did it for herself.

“They are so busy, if Jongin can’t even spend time with Seyeon, there is no way they will have time for us,” Jinjoo shrugged her shoulder. “On top of the investigation, they are also busy with their own lives.”

“Of course, they are very focus on this case. Imagine if their suspicion is proven to be true, Daeun will be the most sought-after journalist in the country, and Baekhyun will have a beeline to be detective,” Kyungsoo explained.

“We are also busy!” Seyeon defended all the friends present. “You will start your residency in no time,” she pointed to the med student. “You are managing one of the biggest hospitals in the country,” she tapped the heiress. “And I- I am helping children.”

“Still, we are nothing compared to the other three though,” Jinjoo sighed, “We can’t even see Sehun if we want to.”

Kyungsoo calmly sipped on his milkshake, “We are the unbusy.”

 

❧ ❧ ❧ ❧ ❧

 

Kyungsoo stood in front of the laboratory while chewing on the last bite of his chocolate bar. His body shivered when he felt a tap on his shoulder, he turned to the direction of the hand and found his lab partner, Ma Yuri. “My heart stopped for a moment.”

“You should be used to practicing with cadaver by now, it’s your fifth semester of med school,” Yuri dragged Kyungsoo inside.

“I am, in own pace,” Kyungsoo rolled his eyes, “Pardon that I was not drilled with medical knowledge since infancy.”

“Just don’t throw up this time, I don’t want to make another excuse to explain to your girlfriend why you’re wearing different clothes from this morning,” Yuri gave a half-hearted smile and patted her lab partner’s shoulder.

“Oh my goodness! It was one time on the first year of anatomy course!” Kyungsoo defended himself for the nth time.

“Yeah sure,” Yuri answered, her eyes not leaving the cue sheet, practicing today’s procedure in her head. “Have you study the procedure?”

“Yepp, I read it on the way to campus this morning,” Kyungsoo answered nonchalantly.

“Is med school a joke to you?!” Yuri looked up.

“Three times,” Kyungsoo winked, “Let me finish my sentence woman,” he laughed out loud.

“You are really despicable! You only need minions, and I can start calling you Gru,” Yuri smacked Kyungsoo with her papers.

“I might already have one,” Kyungsoo smiled thinking of a certain mini friend of his.

“Stop thinking about Jinjoo and start concentrating on the cadaver,” Yuri warned as the professor entered the laboratory, indicating the students to start putting on their face cover and gloves.

“Welcome to anatomy laboratory,” The chubby professor greeted with a bright smile, “You may uncover your cadavers.”

Kyungsoo did as he was instructed, “Now, you may wonder why we still do this, not a digital presentation or a 3D model, something more futuristic” their third lab partner’s face paled as the professor started his lecture, “The answer is simple, there is no better way to prepare you, than from a direct study with a human body.”

“Are you okay Bongjoo?” Yuri asked their pale friend, Ki Bongjoo, in which he answered with a nod.

“Now it is time for each team to make their incision,” The professor guided, “The student nearest to the head can pick up the scalpel.”

With shaky hand Bongjoo did as he was instructed, “Use your dominant hand,” Kyungsoo reminded him.

“Oh yeah,” Bongjoo switched his hands so fast, he almost cut himself.

“Make your first incision beginning from the region of the jugular vein extending proximally to the chest,” The professor continued.

Five centimeters after Bongjoo started the incision, he ran to the end of the table, where the organic waste bin was situated, he let all of his breakfast out. No one in the room pay attention, it was not something new for a student’s stomach to be each practice.

Yuri took over the task and continue the incision, revealing the sternum. Kyungsoo assisted, he held the opening with a retractor. Yuri looked over to Kyungsoo and smirked, “You are going to be a great assistant for me one day.”

 

❧ ❧ ❧ ❧ ❧

 

After knocking the door twice, the door to the office opened, “Seyeon, you’re coming for lunch, right?” Childfund employee Song Jieun made sure.

Seyeon nodded, “Give me fifteen seconds,” she replied without taking her eyes off the computer. “Are we coming back to the office first, or do we meet up with the vendor right away?” she asked her coworker.

“We’re going to the venue directly after lunch,” Jieun confirmed.

Seyeon took her coat after making sure she turned her computer off, she linked her arm with her coworker as they walked to the parking lot after taking the company’s car key.

“It is such a relieve that you have no more guard following you,” Jieun said as she put her seatbelt on, “Our coworker might understand, but the vendors must be extremely uncomfortable.”

“It was months ago!” Seyeon groaned, “And I know you enjoy the view,” she smiled knowingly at the driver.

“One gotta do what one can get to enjoy their work,” Jieun said as she drove the car out of the parking lot into the busy midday traffic. “My sister passed the palace attendant entry test.”

“Really? That’s great!” Seyeon clapped her hands, “In which department is she planning to join?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter