Chapter 3

By your side, always

“Wake up… Wake up buddy… WAKE UP!”

 

He woke up from sleep when he heard someone’s voice calling after him. He looked around and let out a sigh of relief. He was still in his friend’s room.

 

“What happened to you? Did you passed out?” Junhyung looked at him with a concerned face.

 

“Your dad has been giving you calls for many times and yet you’re still in deep sleep. You okay, buddy? You’re sweating hard.” Junhyung said with concerned tone.

 

“Oh right! I forgot!” Joshua woke up and packed all his stuff.

 

“Appa must be waiting for me. Sorry bud! Need to go now. See you on Christmas night.” Joshua patted him on the shoulder and then leave. Junhyung waved and Joshua went back to his house.

 

As promised, Joshua watched few episodes of vampire diaries with his parents. But he seemed drift away. The dream. Was it real? Why does it felt so real? Joshua shook his head. If that was real, he never thought there would be living humans with such bully. Why are they so cruel? Don’t they have humanity in them? Joshua could not sleep that night. He was so puzzled. Why he felt that the girl was so close? Why he can sensed the pain? Why does it hurt so much?

 

Joshua sat on his bed, looking outside the window from his room. The night sky looked so beautiful. It started to snow already. Joshua reached out to open the window. The cool breeze entered his room, brushes over his cheek. Cold, he thought. The night was cold and quiet. It was midnight already. His neighbors were probably sleeping and drifted in their dreams. He closed the window and sat back on his bed.

 

“I hope she’s okay.” Joshua mumbled, still puzzle either that was a dream or reality. Drifted in his own thought, he fell asleep after that.

 

***

 

(THIS WILL BE POV PART OF THE OC)

 

The night was so silent and cold. I knew it was snowing out there as I could feel the cold. I hugged myself as that was the only thing I could do in order to feel less cold. I laid down and hugged my knees. It was such a cold night. I did not even has mattress nor blanket. The cement floor felt so cold, as cold as ice. I rubbed my hands and let my breathe heat up my hands. Soon after that, I heard my stomach growled so badly. Yeah right, I have not eaten for the rest of the day. Not even a bite of bread. I touched my stomach and started to sob.

 

“I’m hungry…” I mumbled. I did not even remember when was the last time I had a proper meal. It has been for weeks? Or months? I reached out to hold the picture and I slyly smiled. Dad has passed away few months ago due to heart attack. I never knew that dad had heart disease. Not until the day he died. He has kept it as secret and it hurt me a lot. He was such a secretive man. I never know if dad was actually happy or not. I never know if he had a problem or not. That was because dad never show his weakness, never show his sadness though after mom is gone, he never showed if he had conflicts at work. That was because dad had always at my side and made me feeling happy. I never felt lonely even though I never experienced the love of a mother. Mom passed away after giving birth to me. And since then, it has been the two of us only.

 

Dad was everything to me. He was my dad, my mother, my pal, my hero, my foe. He was everything. I was so happy after knowing that dad was going to get married. Finally, I can see dad falling in love again and be happy. Finally I get to experience the love of a mother. I get more excited after knowing that I will have two sisters. But, the world is cruel. The happiness that I ever imagined did not go well as I wished. I felt I was never wanted in the family. I never feel loved. It was empty. Few months after they got married, dad passed away in his room. It was just too sudden. Dad seemed like he was in his deep sleep on the couch. But then I realized, he was not breathing. Tears streamed down to my cheeks and I tried to call him. Why he was not answering? Where is the smile he always gave me? Why he was not responding? It felt like my world has turned to dark. It felt like everything has been taken from me. Dad has left me. I have nobody anymore. Who would take care of me after this? Who will listen to me when I am playing the piano? Who would cheering over me after this?

 

I felt something coming out from my eyes. I let it down and the tears filled my eyes. I missed him so much. My life have been so miserable after dad has passed away. Dad would not be happy if he saw me this way. I hugged the picture, very tight to my chest. Dear God, I know you will not send my dad back. I know dad will not be able to take care of me anymore. But please, I really want to live happy like the way I used to before. Without I realize, I fell asleep and drifted away.

 

(END OF OC’S POV)

 

 

The next morning…

 

Joshua woke up when he heard a knock on the door. It was still early in the morning. He looked out the window. It was still dawn. He heard a knock again.

 

“Shua yaa~ Wake upppp!!” he heard his dad at the door. Joshua unlocked the door and his dad stood in front of the door with a wide smile.

 

“Good morning pal. Such a beautiful morning in’it?” he said.

 

“Ohhh come on. Wake up already.” he said while shaking Joshua’s body.

 

“Appa… It’s still early.. “ he yawned while rubbing his eyes.

 

“Get ready pal. We’re going to the groceries shop later. Before that, need your help to decorate the Christmas tree.”

 

“But it’s still early…” he frowned.

 

“Come on… Christmas is coming in 4 days. Get ready now.” Joshua yawned while walking to the washroom reluctantly.

 

“Grandpa and grandma will arrive soon. We will go fetch them right after grocery shopping.” he heard her father said from outside of his room. Oh right! How can he forgot that his grandparents were coming from Korea. Joshua splashed the cold water to his face. He glanced into his room. Oh my goodness, he really should tidying up his room before his grandparents scold him. He chuckled and started to tidy up his room as fast as he could.

 

After 3 hours of house tidying and decorating Christmas tree,Joshua and his parents went out for groceries shopping like they planned. There was nothing much. The supermarket seemed a little crowded with a lot of people as they were busy shopping for Christmas night. Joshua really enjoy groceries shopping as he can choose anything he wants.

“Shua… What do you wish to have during Christmas? Is pineapple pie good for you?” his mother asked and showed him pineapple jam in front of him.

 

“Anything would be okay, omma. You’re the best cook.” he grinned and winked.

 

“Ohh.. shut up.” her mother chuckled and blushed.

 

“Let’s make spicy rice cake too.” she mumbled.

 

“Oh my gosh… It feels like ages. I miss Korean food.” Joshua agreed. Christmas songs were playing over and over in the supermarket. Sometimes, Joshua would hummed along to the song. An hour after that, the three of them managed to finish and headed to the cashier. Their cart were fulled with groceries: fruits and vegetables, meat and breads, and not to forget their favorite snack; honey chips. Joshua can see some of the staffs were busy putting on decorations around the shop. Some of the kids were caroling along the hallway. What a busy day! Joshua and his parents headed to the parking lot.

 

Omma, let me help you with that.”

 

“Here, take this.” His mother hand him a bag but unlucky, one of the beg torn apart and the fruit scattered and rolled down the parking lot.

 

“Oh my God! My fruits!” he heard her mother let out of sigh.

“Don’t worry omma. I got this.” Joshua tried to help by picking up the apples one by one. Some of them were rolling down under the cars and made it a little bit difficult for him to reach out. He slowly picked the apples and places a handful inside his hoodie.

 

“Four.. five.. six… Less one of it. Ahah! There it is!” he found one of the apple right in the middle of the road.

 

“You went too far, buddy.” he jokes and picked up the apple.

 

“JOSHUAAA!!! WATCH OUT!!” he heard his mother screamed across the road.

 

Then, the world turned dark.