Chapter 8

Love Contract
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

He arrived at Jihyun’s house in a record ten minutes as he sped through the highway, and thankfully the traffic lights were on his side.

Knocking the door furiously, he paced around the porch anxiously while waiting for the girl to answer. There was a slight shuffle of the steps before the door opened, revealing Jihyun with swollen eyes and a pack of chips in her hands looking disgruntled.

He gulped nervously as he saw her surprised expression, and then twitched down as she furrowed her eyebrows in frustration. He hadn’t expected it, but she slammed the door right in his face right after opening it.

“Ji!” He banged loudly on the door, “Open up!” He called again but the girl refused to budge.

“Go away, I don’t want to see you.” She cried out and Jungkook’s heart fell. He could hear the crack in her voice and the soft sob through the door.

“I’m really sorry, Ji. I shouldn’t have done that, please open the door and talk to me.” Jungkook pleaded. Minutes passed, and there didn’t seem to be any movement on the other side. Jungkook suspected that the girl might have walked away. Slumping down on her doorstep, he decided to wait for her to open up.

After what seemed like 30 minutes of silence, the door let out a creak, signalling that it had opened up slightly as a head popped into the opening. Jungkook perked up at the sound, snapping his head towards the door to find Jihyun peeping through.

“Go home, Jungkook.” She sighed before wanting to close the door again. He hurried up from his seat and held onto the door tightly, “Please, just five minutes of your time. If you still want me to leave after that, I will.” He said sorrowfully, and Jihyun finally gave in as she pulled open the door wider.

He settled down carefully on the sofa while Jihyun plopped on the seat across from him.

“Shouldn’t you be at prom with Hyorin?” She narrowed her eyes sharply.

“I shouldn’t have suggested bringing her to prom in the first place, not when you’re supposed to be my girlfriend.” Jungkook explained, and Jihyun’s heart wrenched slightly. It felt as if this relationship was an obligation to him, and she hated feeling like a burden.

“Jungkook, is this fake relationship thing weighing you down?” Jihyun asked quietly, and Jungkook widened his eyes as he shook his head, “Why would you think that way?”

“It’s just… you’re still in love with Hyorin, and being in a relationship with me seems to be ruining your chances with her. I don’t want you to feel obliged to be with me.” She explained.

The night alone gave her the chance to think about their love contract. Even though she was upset with Jungkook, essentially their relationship was fake. Jeon Jungkook was still in love with Park Hyorin, and perhaps Hyorin was right, she should really know her place in Jungkook’s life. He’s just being with her because he feels obliged by the love contract they had.

“I don’t feel obliged.” He looked bewildered as he stared at her with those doe-like eyes.

“Are you sure? Because I think you might have ruined your chances with Hyorin by coming here.” She said while he, to her surprise, chuckled.

“Trust me, I’d rather be here than at prom.” He said with a smile while she cocked her head in confusion, “Why?”

“Because you aren’t there, it makes prom meaningless.” Jungkook shrugged, and Jihyun could feel her heart flutter as her cheeks heated up furiously. “There’s Hyorin.” She pointed out but he merely pursed his lips in response, “She’s not you.”

Jihyun could feel her heart racing, and for once, she entertained the thought in her head that Jungkook might actually be feeling something for her. She didn’t hate that idea, not at all.

Before she could process her thoughts, Jungkook had pulled her up from her seat before pushing her towards her room. “What are you doing?” She asked in puzzlement before turning to him.

“You still haven’t shown me your prom dress.” He said simply as he pushed her into her room.

“I’ll prepare some snacks, so change quickly and come out!” He said with a snicker before shutting the door, leaving no chance for her to argue.

Glancing towards her closet, she hesitantly pulled out the sparkly blue dress that she had just dumped in a couple of hours ago. Thankful that it hadn’t crumpled under all the weight of her other clothes, she smoothed out some creases before trying it on.

Putting on some makeup and bringing her hair up into a half-up braid, she tried on her pair of heels after, wobbling slightly before steadying herself and headed out to the living room warily.

Jungkook was focused on opening the chips and he hadn’t noticed her standing there.

Clearing , he looked up and gaped instantaneously.

She looked beautiful.

Standing there in her baby blue dress, Jungkook was at a loss for words as he stared at the girl before him. Gone were the baggy clothes and shorts that she had usually donned on, the sneakers had been replaced by high heels, and her usually no make-up face was coloured with a bit of foundation, blush, and a light pink lipstick.

The baby blue dress donned on jewels which sparkled slightly under the ceiling light, and the silky fabrics hugged her figure nicely before it draped to the floor. He noticed how she was looking shyly to the floor instead of at him, and he closed the distance between them to take a closer look at her face.

“Chin up, beautiful.” He smiled as he put a finger out to lift up her face to look at her while she blushed furiously. He chuckled as the obvious tint of red appeared across her cheeks, and he was sure that it wasn’t because of the blush she had put on earlier.

Sparing her the agony of squirming in embarrassment, he walked over to the bluetooth speaker to connect his phone to it. Setting on a playlist of slow, dancing songs, he put on “Wonderwall” as he slowly made his way back to her.

Extending a hand towards her, she looked at him with a confused stare before he continued, “May I?”

Realizing what was happening, she let out a small laugh before taking his hand. “I can’t dance, Jungkook.”

“You just have to follow my lead.” He said assuringly, placing his hands on her waist as he placed hers on his shoulders.

And all the roads we have to walk are winding

And all the lights that lead us there are blinding

There are many things that I

Would like to say to you but I don't know how

Because maybe

You're gonna be the one that saves me

And after all

You're my wonderwall

As the soft melody of the song and the tapping of two feets across the floor filled the silence of the living room, they moved in silence with a small smile on their faces. The night didn’t feel so cold and empty anymore as they closed the gap between them, with Jihyun lying against Jungkook’s shoulder while he moved her to the music.

“Still want me to leave?” He asked, snickering while she rolled her eyes when she stared into his teasing eyes. “You can leave after this dance.” She retorted back, and the boy laughed heartily - glad that the pent-up feeling in his chest had finally disappeared when he heard her snarky comment.

She didn’t want to entertain the crippling fear that this was just a momentary thing, the fact that Jungkook may still be in love with Hyorin, nor the fact that this was just a fake relationship, she decided to address those feelings another day.

What mattered most was that Jeon Jungkook was right here next to her, and she didn’t want to think of anything else except how safe she felt in his arms.

--

Lunch at school the next day was suffocating.

She looked between the boys who had stoic expressions, with eyes that were throwing daggers at Jungkook when she and the boy had approached the table.

Needless to say, everyone was upset with the stunt that Jungkook had pulled at prom.

Jimin pulled Jihyun protectively to his side and made her sit beside him, but the girl merely patted his shoulder and shook her head. “It’s alright, we sorted things out.”

Jungkook took his seat timidly beside Yoongi as he picked at his food, hyperly conscious of the glares that his hyungs were giving him.

“Okay, stop it guys.” Jihyun spoke up, and the boys turned their attention towards her.

“But Ji, how can you forgive him for bringing his ex to prom!” Jin argued, and Jihyun pursed her lips nervously. “He made up for it last night, give him a break.” She tried to intervene, and Jimin cocked his head in confusion. “What do you mean?”

“I-I realised how foolish I was and left halfway during prom to find Jihyun.” Jungkook smiled slightly at the memory of last night while Jihyun continued, “We still had our own version of prom.”

This time, Hoseok cooed loudly at her words while the boys looked at him with a betrayed expression. “What? It’s sweet!”

It really was. Jihyun thought about last night where they slowed dance to Jungkook’s playlist as she laid on his shoulder while he placed a hand around her back. She didn’t know how to dance at all, but Jungkook’s reassuring directions had brought her to ease.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter