In the City

Lovestruck in the City
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A year ago, I fell in love. 

 

 

"Team leader, what do you think?" 

"I think it's fine. Of course, we would have to ask the client what they think—but to me it's fine."

As the meeting is adjourned, the employees head back to their cubicles and offices on the floor. 

"Yerin, are you still going later?" the only one left asks.

She heavily sighs, "I have to. I'm not one to change plans last minute nor leave someone hanging."

"But you still don't want to."

"I still don't get why you set this up." Yerin focuses on arranging printed files on her desk.

"You have to move on someday," the taller shrugs.

"You're lucky I can't fire you," she grumbles.

"Uncle loves me! Only he– and dad– are allowed to fire me."

"You're so privileged, Sojung."

Giving her doe eyes, she does a cutesy pose with finger hearts for the other. "I'm the best cousin."

Yerin keeps a blank face, but still reciprocates a finger heart. "Now go do some work."

"Okay~" Sojung was already halfway out the door by that time, not needing to be told.

Once she's alone in her office, she grumbles to herself. "I'm totally fine. I've moved on. I'm the one that breaks hearts. I'm gorgeous." 

After about an hour of reading, typing, drafting, rewriting, and designing, Yerin's eyes burned. She decides to look around her office, allowing her eyes to look at something farther than a foot away, for a change. 

Of course, she can't miss her surfboard that leaned against the corner beside the black leather couch. Six feet tall and three feet wide, it's the biggest splash of color in the midst of monotone walls and shelves.

Yerin thinks she won't ever be able to see it the same again.

 

-----

 

"I'm heading out now. Don't stay too late."

The employees bid her a good night before she heads out to the elevator. 

 

Parking her car into one of the spaces, she takes a deep breath and goes over herself.

Slacks: clean.

Collar: straight.

Shoes: not dirty.

Hair: no strays.

Makeup: could be better.

Breath and teeth: fresh.

Yerin is never one to care for her looks too much, but she doesn't want to embarrass herself or look messy in front of anyone.

She heads to the table as guided by the waiter, and checks the time. She's not too early. The other should be there soon.

She takes her phone out to check her e-mails while waiting.

Delete.

Read.

Reply.

Ignore. 

 

"Jung Yerin?"

The said person looks up from her phone to see the one she was waiting for. 

"Oh hi! Nice to meet you," she stands and puts out a hand for greeting.

"Have you been waiting long?" the other woman asks.

"No no, only a couple of minutes. My office isn't too far, so I got here pretty quickly."

"Same as Sojung, right?"

"She's my cousin, and it's our fathers' business so, given. Shall we order?" Yerin asks politely.

--

"So how do you know Sojung again?" 

"I'm a coworker of Eunha."

"At which job?" Yerin chuckles and takes a bite.

"At the cafe," she giggles. "You're not gonna ask me which one, will you?"

"As far as I know, she only works at one cafe," she giggles back.

"Let me pour some for you," the woman offers, holding the rice wine bottle.

--

 

"Surfing? That's so cool! I've never done it before."

"Yeah, I've been doing it for probably ten years now."

"Where do you go to surf? I mean, you certainly can't here in the city."

With the nonstop talking about themselves, a bit of alcohol in her system, and a full stomach, Yerin was feeling tired. At this point, she could just say anything that comes to her mind and her date wouldn't judge. Would she?

"The past three summers, I've gone to Yangyang. I would stay there for a week or two, and just relax and catch some waves." She takes another sip of her drink in hopes of lessened pain. "But...I didn't go this year."

"Oh? Why not?"

Yerin stiffens and her eyebrows droop slightly. 

"I'm sorry, was that a bad question?" the other worries. 

"Uhm... Just some issues in schedule. My uncle was planning on building a house in the province, and he wanted me to design it." Now while that is true, there's a different sole reason as to why she didn't want to go this time.

"I guess that is kind of a bummer."

---

 

As she parks outside her house, her thoughts still ran rampant. 

Should she keep trying to find her? Should she have gone this summer? 

Because it still hurts.

 

 

 

 

A year ago

"I just arrived... yeah I'm outside... Do they know how I look like?... Okay sounds good. Thank you again, Dahyun." She hangs up and tucks her phone away into her pocket.

Feeling the sun on her skin and the wind through her hair, she felt free again— something she always feels when she comes to Yangyang. 

Looking at how the sun is hitting the airport sign, she takes her film camera out and snaps a picture.

 


"She looks like a model? Pshhh don't joke with me, Dahyun." 

"She really does! She's tall, pretty, skinny, has fair skin, long legs... Trust me, Sinb. You'll know it's her when you get there," her voice still bright through the phone.

Slowing down as she approaches the small airport pick-up road, she scans through the few people that are there. She looks at one woman nearest to her, coming up on her right.

Tall...long legs...skinny...fair skin...pretty? 

She slowly drives past her, distracted. She takes a look at the woman's face and just knows it's her.

 

Pretty? She's not pretty.

She's motherf*ckin gorgeous.

 

"Did you find her?" Dahyun asks through the phone.

"Hyun, I'm hanging up now."

Stopping the car as she comes to her senses, she turns off the engine and steps out.

"Jung Yerin?" she asks from a few feet away.

Yerin looks up from her camera to the direction from where the voice came from. "Uh, yes that's me," she asks, flustered.

"I'm here to pick you up. Dahyun's orders." She flashes a smile as she heads over and takes hold of Yerin's luggage.

"I can put it—"

"No it's fine!"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter