014

Bitter Taste
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Narrator

"Are you sure you're not going?"

          This has been the 20th time she had heard that question and every time it was going to be asked, she would feel guiltier. Haemin knew they really wanted her to go, they even said that they aren't going to get a partner since they wanted her to be theirs. But Haemin is just hard headed like that; if she says no then it's all over. "I'm sure oppa." Haemin said while resting her head on Jake's shoulder. "Too bad, I wanted to show you my moves." He joked making Haemin gawk. "As if you have moves." Haemin teased making the latter pout.

          "But if you change your mind, just call us okay?" Jay said while picking up his bag on the couch. It was finally the day of the Spring Dance, the party would start later at 7 in the evening. Now, it was 11 AM in the morning and by now, the girls would have been prepping up. The guys visited her early in the morning, hoping they could convince her to go. But to their dismay, no is a no. Haemin nodded her head, answering Jay's question. 

          Haemin knew they all weren't happy, they were sad. And knowing that maybe she might ruin their night for not going, she felt guilty, really guilty. She wished that she wasn't labeled as that. She wished she still had more friends like before. She wished she could talk and smile freely in front of everyone. And most importantly, she wished she had the confidence to do all those things. But she couldn't, she tried but still fail in the end.

          "Well, we'll be going now. Take care, will you?" Heeseun said with a smile, Haemin gave them all too. One by one, they gave her a kiss on the head before going out of her house. Once they were out, Haemin heaved a sigh, she then began to whine as a pout was plastered on her face. "Why is life so hard? Why?” She mumbled while burying her face on one of the pillows in the living room. She suddenly heard a bark, she looked down and saw Ruffles looking at her.

          "Why can't I just be a dog like you Ruffles, a dog with no problems. You can just eat all your life." Haemin pouted as she carried the dog in her arms. Ruffles then barked at her as the latter pouted even more. "And then you start being cute again." She then smiled, giving the latter a warm hug as the puppy made a dog giggle in her chest. She was playing with Ruffles to relieve all the stress when her door bell suddenly rang. "Coming." She sang before she stood up to get the door. She twisted it slowly then popped her head out to see who it was. "Oppas, what are you guys doing here? Come on in." Haemin said as she opened her door wide. "N-No it's okay, we just came here to ask if you know…if you're going to the dance?" Jimin scratched his head. Haemin got out from her house as she close the door behind her before facing them with a sad expression. She shook her head lightly, telling them a no. They nodded they're head in disappointment.

          Haemin saw that the guys isn't going to be the only one whom she's going to feel guilty about, it was her guardians too. Haemin knew that her new teachers had done a lot of good things for her and she couldn't even give them something in return, even if it's something easy as this. Seeing those sad expressions being glued on their faces, she felt even guiltier. Haemin looked down, not wanting to see how sad they were, fiddling her fingers together and biting her lower lip in the process.

          "Hey." Someone called making her look up, seeing Namjoon sadly smiling. "If you ever change your mind, just go to this place." He said as he gave her a business card of one boutique. Haemin read it and became confused, she then looked up at the older person. "I know you're confused right now but, just go there if you ever change your mind." He explained as the latter nodded her head.

          Haemin then scanned all of their faces and saw that they had those twinkling spark in their eyes, she knew they were hoping for her to change her decision. Haemin nodded then placed the card in her short's pocket. "I'll think about it." She smiled at everyone, they all nodded in return. "We better get going, we still need to prepare ourselves." Taehyung laughed as Haemin gave a light chuckle. She bid them goodbye before going back inside her house.

          She saw Ruffles lying down on the floor sleeping. "Goof ball." She thought, kissing its small head before making her way to the kitchen to grab some ramyun to eat. Once she was done preparing her ramyun, she immediately ate it. She was eating happily when she heard something pout from a distance. She chuckled when she knew who it was, "Ruffles! I'm in the kitchen!" Right after she said that, she saw her puppy running towards her and jumping, placing her paws onto her thighs.

          "Are you hungry girl?" She asked, Ruffles barked. "Okay, okay." She smiled at her before standing up to give her food. When she was done putting dog food on her plate, Ruffles directly ate it. Haemin sat down back on her chair then continued to eat her ramyun. When she was done, she washed the dishes before making her way back to the living room to watch T.V.

          The T.V showed boring things, there weren't anything fun to watch so Haemin decided to turn it off. She throws her head back and looked at the ceiling, thinking of the possibilities in this world. Her thoughts then went back to the dance, she doesn't know if staying here at home was neither the right thing to do nor attending it either. She thought back at the guys and her new teachers, and the image of their sad expressions clouded her mind. She suddenly thought of a scenario that she didn't even like, them not having fun at all.

           "They have done a lot of things for me. They cared for me, they were the ones who made me confident. They were the ones who told me that I should not lose hope in everything that I do. They are my source of strength. And if everyone judges me just because I'm with them, I don't care anymore. I will go to that party whether it will ruin my image or not. This is for them and only for them. Oppas, I am going to that party." Haemin bawled a fist before standing up from the couch, making her way upstairs to her room to change into some casual clothes.

 

            Haemin arrived safely in a certain boutique. The boutique that was labeled in the business card that Namjoon gave her. She pushed the door open, making the chimes sound, signaling that she came in. Once she did, a lady in her mid-20's greeted her in the counter. Her name tag says Eun Hee. "Welcome ma'am! What can I get you?" Eun Hee asked as the girl only blinked up at her. She doesn't even know why she was there. She was about to say something when Eun Hee cut her off. "Are you perhaps, Yoo Haemin?" She asked, the latter nodded her head after. "That man was right, you really are a beauty." Eun Hee smiled at her making her look confused. "M-Man?" Haemin asked.

          "Oh, he wasn't alone. There were six more of them. And to be honest, they were all good looking." Eun Hee said while fanning herself. "But enough with that, let's get you all prepped up." Eun Hee said as she grabbed Haemin's wrist. "W-Wait—” "No more questions. We're running out of time!" Eun Hee squealed as she successfully pulled Haemin in one of the dressing rooms. "You sit down here." She pushed the blinking latter on one of the chairs that were facing a big mirror. On the side it had a table with lots of makeup sets. And that's where Haemin knew why Namjoon had told her to come here if ever she would change her mind. They had already prepared everything for her.

          "Let's get started" Eun Hee smiled as she started fixing Haemin up. She first did her hair and it took 2 hours to make it perfect. Eun Hee then did her makeup and it took not more than 3 hours. It was already 6 in the evening and they only had an hour left before the dance would start and Eun Hee was doing her best to make Haemin the most transformed girl of the night. When Haemin was all done, they proceeded to what she would wear.

           The guys had already picked out a dress for Haemin to wear so it wouldn't be such a waste of time. Eun Hee helped her wear her dress and Haemin shyly let her. Once she was done wearing it, she then went to wear the shoes they already had prepared for her too. Eun Hee placed some jewelry on her and did some final observation if everything was perfect, Eun Hee smiled.

          "In the count of three, I want you to turn around and see how beautiful you are." Eun Hee said with a smile. "I don't think that's even possible." Haemin frowned. Eun Hee then placed a hand on her shoulder "Dear. Everything is possible." Eun Hee smiled genuinely at the girl. Haemin then nodded and gave her a light smile. "1..." Eun Hee started counting as Haemin heaved a huge sigh "2....3..." When the number three was mentioned, Haemin slowly turned around and saw someone else.

          "Is this me?" Haemin looked at the mirror as she touched her cheeks and saw that the reflection of the mirror was doing everything that she was doing. "I told you, you're beautiful." Eun Hee smiled. "How did I—” Haemin really couldn't believe her eyes. If she was honest, she really thinks she looked beautiful. But the only thing she couldn't accept was, the fact that she was being the one called as such. She then looked at Eun Hee with a sweet and grateful smile. "Thank you." Haemin said then hugged the makeup artist.

          Eun Hee smiled as she rubbed Haemin's back. "Oh no!" Eun Hee exclaimed once she saw the time, "You only have 10 more minutes! We better go!" Eun Hee once again pulled Haemin by the wrist as they both exited the boutique. "Wait! Who's going to drive me there?" Haemin asked ones they were out of the boutique. "I am." Eun Hee simply said as she opened her car. Haemin didn't ask any questions since she knew they were already running out of time. Eun Hee sped her way to the venue where the event was held.

          Once they arrived Eun Hee looked at Haemin with a big smile. "You go in there, and have fun." Eun Hee said, Haemin only frown. "What's with the frown dear?" Eun Hee asked worried. "I don't think I can ever make it. I mean—” "You look beautiful Haemin. And I bet, a lot of boys are going to be drooling all over you tonight. And I bet those men are too." Eun Hee teased. "H-Hey.” Haemin blushed, clearing soon afterwards. "Go on, you don't want to keep them waiting." Eun Hee smiled.

             Before Haemin could go out of the car, she pulled Eun Hee in another embrace. "Thank you unnie, even though I just met you now I feel like I have already met you years ago. I hope we'll be like this always." Haemin smiled. Eun Hee just smiled at her in return. Haemin then got out of the car, with one last wave Eun Hee drove away. Haemin then spun around and face the entrance of the venue. She walked slowly towards it before telling the guards to open the door for her.

 

This is it Haemin. This is finally the day you would show everyone the real you. No holding back. This is for guys.

You can do this.

 

"Okay, this is it Haemin. No backing out."

          She self-coped inside when she saw the guard opening the door for her. She was looking down on the floor when she felt the light hitting her and fancy music can be heard from her ears. She slowly looked up to see the beautiful site of Spring Dance. Everywhere was decorated in crystal white ornaments and the floor had that shiny effect too, it was simply beautiful. She was gazing at everything around her that she didn't realize that all of the attention was on her already. And when she looked ahead, she saw the boys dressed in their best suites, looking at her with the mix of shock and happiness.

         "She's not here yet?" Namjoon asked Taehyung as the two of them were standing at the sides with the rest, the latter shook his head sadly. Jungkook then looked at his watched and saw that it was already time and in less than a second it would be...

          "Good evening Cheongdam Intnational Institute!"…starting. With one last glance at the entrance, the older men then made their way in the middle near the crowd where they were already facing the stage, where the MC for the prom was doing the opening remarks.

           The MC was no other than the gorgeous Queen of the school, Song Ahri. "How is everybody doing tonight?!" Ahri yelled through the microphone, earning cheers and howls by the excited crowd. "I know all of you are all excited especially our dear juniors for this is their first." Ahri stated making the said group smile. "Juniors! Are you all excited?!" She once again asked making the juniors howl and cheer again. Ahri then smiled before talking a little about what's going to happen in the party. Ones she was done, everyone immediately made their way to where the foods were and some were already dancing their hearts out. And still, there was no sign of Haemin. The teachers then became disappointed knowing that they couldn't convince the little girl to come, they were really sad. They were all standing in the sides where it would isolate from everyone but that didn't seem to be a success since they all looked equally as outstanding as each other.

           Some girl students even tried asking them if they wanted to dance, but they refused it. As offensive as it sounds, they wouldn't want to waste their energy on someone not important to them. They only want Haemin to dance with them, her and only her. If Haemin is not going to arrive tonight, then they wouldn't mind going home ahead, at least they can see Haemin there.

            Not far from where they were staying, there was still one group who was waiting for their princess's arrival. Even though they knew that her no means no, they still had hope that maybe she would change her mind. The guys haven't danced with anyone yet, they would really like if Haemin would take their first dance, that's quite their plan. Looking at the entrance, seeing that it didn't open ever since the party had started, they sighed in defeat. They were equally a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter