Four Seasons

When Winter Comes...
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

*Please note that there will be a few slightly suggestive themes mentioned.

















 

The familiar thumping sounded against Minjeong’s heart as she approached the back of the school. As the distance lessens, the pace of her heartbeats quickens.

 

It was not Minjeong’s first time being invited for a private talk, be it on the rooftop or the back of the school. But the concept of it sends warmth and tingles throughout her entire body.

 

Minjeong has always been one to enjoy the idea of love.

 

Scenes like walking under a path together as cherry blossom petals filled their view, or sharing an umbrella as they walked home under the rain were Minjeong’s fantasies. You can call it cliché. But Minjeong will probably shrug with a silly smile, just to sink back into her lucid dreams.

 

Spring was obviously here. Minjeong let out a small giggle as the sweet scent of flowers wafted into her nose. The 11th grader will never get tired of the floral that filled her view. Pausing to clear , Minjeong gave her nose a little scrunch as she gave a little pep talk.

 

“It will be different this time.” Minjeong whispered into the wind. “Afterall, the third time’s the charm.”

 

As she turned the corner, Minjeong was greeted by the sight of a boy under a cherry blossom tree. As beautiful the scenery was, the raven-haired could not contain her giggle as she saw the pink that tinted the boy’s cheek.

 

He looked adorable. Especially with the soft pink petals gently blowing by.

 

“Hey.” Minjeong smiled.

 

“H-Hi Minjeong.”

 

As he slowly looked up at Minjeong, the pink that once dusted his face grew a shade darker.

 

“So…” Minjeong trailed. “You have nice handwriting.”

 

The taller boy swallowed before coughing a little.

 

Clearing his throat, he wiped his clammy hands against his uniform pants before gently holding Minjeong’s hands by her fingers.

 

Minjeong could not help but sigh softly at the warmness.

 

“Minjeong.” The boy called without wavering. “Y-you have been in my mind ever since your speech during y-your entrance ceremony.”

 

A small smile pulled at Minjeong’s lips as she noted the stutter in the following sentence. She found it really cute of the gentleman and also, courageous.

 

“You have only been more kind and more beautiful ever since then. And y-you could brighten my day with a single s-smile.” He continued, an arm reaching behind his head, ruffling his back hair sheepishly. “I might have missed my chance last summer, but I won’t this year.”

 

Minjeong watched as he in a breath.

 

She knew where it was going, and she was willing to accept him. But cutting him off would be plain rude. Besides, Minjeong enjoys the fluttering feeling in her stomach. The one she always yearned for.

 

“Kim Minjeong,” the senior bowed as he released his gentle hold on Minjeong’s hands and placed them at his sides. “Will you go out with me?”

 

Despite knowing what was coming, Minjeong could feel the heat against her cheeks as she averted her gaze onto the pile of cherry blossom petals by the wall.

 

“... Sure.” Minjeong let out a whisper.

 

Glancing back at the boy, Minjeong noted that he has yet to move. But the tips of his ears were redder than before.

 

He definitely heard that. Minjeong thought.

 

“I said sure.” Minjeong repeated. This time, a little louder.

 

The raven-haired giggled when the boy stood straight, eyes darting around to look everywhere but at her.

 

“I heard it the first time.” The boy admitted softly.

 

And with that, Minjeong burst into laughter. Smiling awkwardly, the boy ruffled his hair again before joining her.





 

æ





“Hey Minjeong!” Yizhuo exclaimed as she skipped in front of her best friend. “I heard you are up to no good again!”

 

It was lunch break and Minjeong was in the cafeteria saving seats for her friends.

 

Her new boyfriend was still a little shy around her and had requested to have lunch separately. Minjeong honestly did not mind. She found it cute, and anyways, she has to catch up with her friends about that event.

 

Slightly shaking her head, Minjeong scoffed at her teasing.

 

“Excuse you, I did nothing.”

 

“Sure you didn’t, Miss Face-of-the-school.”

 

Yizhuo met Minjeong in middle school, when she was grade 8 and Minjeong was 9. They grew on each other quickly and soon became friends. Of course, that included Aeri who was two grades above Yizhuo.

 

Despite being from different grades, the trio were close.

 

Aeri and Yizhuo were childhood friends since their family moved to Korea. They first met when Aeri’s family invited Yizhuo’s family over for a friendly dinner after a gathering with the group of foreign families within their neighbourhood.

 

And of course, being the quirky girl Aeri was, she got attached to Minjeong ever since they met.

 

“Stop teasing Minjeong!” Aeri laughed as she placed her bento box down. “You speak as if our girl here seduced him.”

 

Yizhuo laughed as Minjeong turned red.

 

“You’re definitely doing this on purpose.” Minjeong grunted as she stabbed a piece of egg roll from Aeri’s lunch and stuffed it into her own mouth.

 

“Hey!” The older gumbled only to have a second piece stolen by Yizhuo. “Oh I give up.”

 

Minjeong high-fived Yizhuo before picking up a piece of bulgogi pork with her fork and fed Aeri.

 

“Now that’s what I call, fair trade.” Aeri spoke with full, gaining a look of disapproval from Yizhuo.

 

Just as Minjeong was about to feed herself, she felt a soft nudge on her arm.

 

“4 o’clock.” Yizhuo whispered discreetly.

 

Aeri looked up and recognised what Yizhuo was talking about.

 

“Please get me water, Minjeong.” Aeri faked a cough, as if choking.

 

“S-sure.” Minjeong turned nervously as she walked to the vending machine.

 

As a familiar face came into view, Minjeong struggled to tear her eyes away before getting caught.

 

“Oh.” She muttered under her breath.

 

Popping a few coins into the slot, Minjeong pressed the buttons for a sprite and a bottle of water. While waiting for the drinks, Minjeong could see the girl stealing a few glances at her.

 

With a small smile, Minjeong strode over with the drinks in hand.

 

“Happy birthday.” The girl placed the can of sprite down with a light clink. “Jimin.”

 

Muttering a soft thanks, the said girl stood up to make her leave, but not without Minjeong’s gift.

 

As Minjeong returned to her table, Yizhuo and Aeri gave her a fist bump.

 

“That was brave of you!” Yizhuo announced a little too loudly, earning the glare of Minjeong.

 

Aeri laughed.

 

“Good job. We are proud of our girl.”

 

Minjeong rolled her eyes as her parents wiped their invisible tears.

 

“Drama llamas.”

 

Yizhuo and Aeri shared a look before they started to giggle.

 

“Jokes aside, is Jimin still not talking to you?”

 

“At this rate, I’m actually doubting you guys are childhood friends.” Aeri chimed in. “It looks as though you have a one-sided crush on her.”

 

Frustrated, Minjeong took a bite of her chocolate bar before grumbling.

 

“Well, apparently we are only childhood friends in Winter.”

 

That gained a snicker from Aeri.

 

“Are you referring to the part where she comforts you after your breakups?” Yizhuo questioned. “Are you sure that’s not your hallucination? Jimin definitely does not look like someone to do that. And I definitely couldn’t agree more to that, with what we just saw.”

 

Before Minjeong could explain, the oldest laughed.

 

“You know, I would have had the same thoughts as Yizhuo if not for last year.” Aeri gasped between her laughs.

 

“What?” Yizhuo tapped the girl impatiently.

 

“I mean, the look on Jimin’s face was priceless when I told her that jerk-face dumped Minjeong last Winter.” Aeri mused when she stopped laughing. “She looked like she was about to murder someone. And Jimin totally ran out of class as soon as the bell rang.”

 

So that’s why she was that early.

 

Minjeong hid a smile at the thought of Jimin rushing to check on her.

 

It was actually very strange.



 

Ever since her last year of middle school, Jimin has been distant. Minjeong thought it was because the older had entered high school and that they were not spending much time together. But despite enrolling in the same high school as her childhood friend, there was not much change to the distance between the two.

 

However, during that fateful day in Winter, when Minjeong was huddled up under the slide at the neighbourhood playground, crying over her first relationship that ended, Jimin was her Jimin.

 

When the older found Minjeong in that state in the freezing weather, Jimin instinctively wrapped her outer jacket around the tiny girl and wiped her tears away. After calming Minjeong down, Jimin brought her to the top of a hill behind their current high school.

 

Minjeong was distracted by the view.

 

It was breathtaking, Minjeong recalled. From the spot, you could see the entire city. And it only gets better from there. As the sun sets, the warm orange eats into the soft blue and showers the city in pink. When the sun was fully gone, Minjeong could see buildings lighting up one by one, showing off the amazing skyline.

 

“I hope you’re feeling better.” Jimin whispered as she pulled Minjeong into a hug after the gorgeous sunset. “Talk to me if you want to.”

 

Minjeong could still vividly remember Jimin’s face as they pulled away. Jimin was smiling, but she wasn’t fooling anyone. Minjeong could tell her smile was fake. It never reached her eyes. And Minjeong wondered what it was that Jimin was hiding.

 

The tiny raven-haired tried asking Jimin, but only to face a wall.

 

“This is about you.” The taller spoke gently as she sat Minjeong down on the warm patch of grassland. “Let it all out.”

 

And Minjeong did.



 

“Minjeong?”

 

The 11 grader snapped to her senses when Yizhuo shook her by the shoulder.

 

“Earth to Minjeong!” Aeri called and waved her hand.

 

“Ah yes.” Minjeong muttered with a silly smile. “What did I miss?”

 

“The school bell.” Yizhuo laughed. “And very soon, your next class if you don’t get your perfect up now!”

 

With that, the two friends left a blushing Minjeong alone as they rushed to their respective classes.





 

æ





 

Minjeong knocked on the wooden door and waited for a reply.

 

The petite girl was currently standing stiffly in front of the student council’s office. As the president of her class, Minjeong had to submit a proposal on what her class was doing for the Summer Festival.

 

Time flew and it has been a few months since Minjeong started dating. It was going to be Summer break soon. And right before that was the annual Summer Festival that her high school holds.

 

Minjeong sighed in bliss as her mind wandered. Her boyfriend has asked her out on a date during the festival, after her duties, of course, and to attend the bonfire dance together. Minjeong sported a small blush at the thought, obviously amped up for it.

 

“Come in.” The icy deep voice broke Minjeong out of her thoughts.

 

Taking deep breaths, Minjeong turned the door knob and entered, fully expecting Jimin to be on the other side - Jimin was the student council president. But despite already preparing herself for it, Minjeong still felt weak in her knees. Especially now when they were alone in the room.

 

Minjeong was ready to get answers from Jimin. And she hopes her legs would not betray her by running away.

 

“You’re late.” Jimin stood from her seat.

 

Minjeong gulped as she caught the stare from Jimin. Unconsciously, Minjeong averted her eyes, just to allow her gaze to travel down the tall girl, taking in every curve and bumps. Puberty definitely did Jimin good.

 

Minjeong frowned at how unfair it was. For her to still look so tiny even after hitting puberty. Oh how she hopes she could have long slender legs like Jimin.

 

“Ahem.” Jimin cleared . “Please take a seat.”

 

Minjeong could feel herself flush as she struggled to walk over to the closest chair by the table.

 

“You said to meet at 5pm.” Minjeong spoke softly.

 

She could hear a scoff of amusement coming from the other.

 

“I meant the proposal.” Jimin clarified as she took her place across Minjeong. “It was supposed to be in two weeks ago.”

 

“Sorry. The class took a while to come to a consensus.”

 

Jimin shrugged.

 

“That’s fine. You guys will be the ones to bear the consequences.” The president sighed. “There’s only two weeks left. Let’s see what you got.”

 

“A maid café.” Minjeong blurted out.

 

Jimin held back a choke.

 

“Or actually, the first day would be a maid café with the boys dressing up.” Minjeong explained as she showed Jimin the proposal. “And the second would be a butler café with the girls dressing up.”

 

“A reversal.” Jimin commented as she pulled the tea set over.

 

“Yes.”

 

The president furrowed her brow as she made tea for the two of them. Jimin looked like she came to a decision when she served the tea.

 

“Okay.”

 

With that one word, Minjeong let out her breath which she never knew she was holding.

 

“Thanks J-Jimin.” Minjeong smiled. “I was really going to panic if this idea was rejected again.”

 

Jimin returned a small smile.

 

“You are panicking now aren’t you?”

 

Minjeong blushed as she got caught. As easy as it sounded, Minjeong had no idea how to carry out the proposal. There were only two weeks left, and she had never set up a café before. There are a ton of things she has to do. And it seemed impossible even with her classmates helping.

 

With a sigh, Jimin walked over and took a seat beside Minjeong.

 

“Let me help.” The older took out her phone along with a piece of paper and a pen. “Our class did this last year, and I might just have some contacts you need.”

 

Without thinking, Minjeong threw her arms around Jimin, squealing in delight.

 

“I… can’t breathe.” Jimin gasped and Minjeong immediately let go.

 

“Sorry Jimin…” Minjeong chuckled. “But I just- I mean, thank you so much!”

 

Jimin turned away to tap on her phone and scribble on the paper.

 

It was a good attempt, but Minjeong caught the faint pink that dusted Jimin’s cheek in time, before they got out of view.

 

“Here are numbers you can try. The first one’s for a bakery. Second one’s a café for coffee and tea. And the last one is for outfits and costumes.” Jimin breathed out, as if rapping. “For outfits, let them know that I got you their number.”

 

Minjeong smirked. She was feeling a little playful and wanted to tease the older.

 

“Oh? Are you claiming credit? Or perhaps you have a special connection?”

 

As soon as the words left , Minjeong regretted saying them.

 

“A special relationship.” Jimin smirked and threw Minjeong a wink.

 

And when Minjeong turned red, Jimin let out a small laugh.

 

“It’s my aunt’s store.” Jimin explained. “They’ll provide a discount.”

 

Giving Minjeong a small pat on the shoulder, Jimin gestured for her to leave.

 

“Wait.” Minjeong grabbed Jimin’s wrist as both of them stood. “Can we talk?”

 

Jimin’s eyebrows tilted, almost connecting.

 

“Did I just waste 15 minutes of my time dreaming that I talked?”

 

“N-no.” Minjeong released her hold on Jimin and fiddled with her thumb nervously. “It’s about us.”

 

Before Minjeong could process, Jimin had her seated on the table. Both Jimin’s hands were by Minjeong’s side and her right leg was in between Minjeong’s.

 

“Oh?” Jimin leaned in.

 

Minjeong squeezed her eyes shut, retracting backwards as much as she could. She could still feel Jimin’s warm breath against her lips. But soon it was gone, and Jimin’s lips were by her ear.

 

“Aren’t you in a relationship now?” Jimin whispered. “Is that boy not satisfactory? Or are you changing teams, perhaps?”

 

Surprised, Minjeong pushed her away and jumped off the table.

 

“I-”

 

Her words were stuck in as Minjeong fought back tears.

 

Why is Jimin acting like this?

 

Jimin’s words cut Minjeong. And it stung bad. Minjeong was so confused. Who was the girl standing before her? The Jimin she knew, her Jimin, was definitely not one to hurt her.

 

“There’s nothing you would like to hear that comes out of my mouth, Minjeong.” Jimin sighed.

 

Minjeong could see the annoyance in her eyes. But for a split second, Minjeong hoped she was not wrong, Minjeong saw loneliness in Jimin’s soul.

 

“Jimin-”

 

“Get out.” Jimin demanded. “Please leave before I have to use force.”

 

Minjeong gave one last glance at her before turning reluctantly.

 

“Damn it, Jimin.”




 

æ





 

It has been a week since that incident in the student council room and Minjeong was still affected by it. But she doesn’t show. Not to her boyfriend, not to Yizhuo, not to Aeri.

 

“So… are you guys friends again now?” Yizhuo asked casually as she took a sip of her malatang. “Because I can see her boring holes into your back once again.”

 

Minjeong had excitedly told her boyfriend, Yizhuo and Aeri about her encounter with her childhood friend - of course, excluding the last part for obvious reasons - but finished her ramblings with a dejected look, hinting that things were still shaky between them.

 

“Again?” Aeri rolled her eyes and glanced at Jimin.

 

Minjeong wasn’t paying attention. The memory from last week kept replaying in her head. Why did she leave when Jimin told her? She should have held her ground. But then again, Jimin scared her with her unexpected actions, and Minjeong did not want another stab to her heart.

 

“Hey Jimin!” Aeri called out.

 

Aeri had, surprisingly, became friends with Jimin over the past few months. It was not an easy feat despite being from the same class. Jimin had been constantly giving short responses to everyone who tried to talk to her, and soon people gave up. Jimin only seemed to talk fine with teachers.

 

But that attitude of hers did not faze the bulldozer Aeri who knocked a hole in Jimin’s wall, successfully making friends with her.

 

“Wanna join our table?”

 

Minjeong spit out her chocolate milk into her empty bowl.

 

“Ew.” Yizhuo and Aeri spat as they scrunched up their faces.

 

“Aeri!” Minjeong hushed and kicked the older girl from under the table.

 

“Ow!” Aeri grabbed her shin and rubbed her hands back and forth to ease the pain. “Too late Minjeong, she’s walking over.”

 

Minjeong rolled her eyes when Aeri smirked and Yizhuo wriggled her eyebrows suggestively.

 

“Hi Aeri, Yizhuo…” Jimin mumbled as she took a seat beside Minjeong. “And Minjeong.”

 

Aeri smirked and Yizhuo giggled.

 

“Hello.” Minjeong breathed, turning away to inhale more of her milk before anyone could .

 

“So Jimin, how are things going for the Summer Festival?” Aeri started.

 

Minjeong sat and pretended to listen to the trio’s conversation, her mind wandering off to thoughts about a certain someone.

 

Tap.

 

The younger raven-haired almost jumped at the cold contact on the back of her hand.

 

Looking down at the source, Minjeong found her favourite chocolate bar within her small palms with a blue post-it stuck on it. Minjeong glanced at Jimin with a small smile before tucking the precious snack into her blazer’s pocket.

 

Sorry.

 

The single word lingered in Minjeong’s mind as the corner of her lips tugged upwards.

 

“What are you all smiley about, dumb?” Aeri laughed when she noticed the expression.

 

Minjeong rolled her eyes and stuck out her tongue.

 

“Not gonna tell you, dumber!”

 

As Aeri tried to retort back, Minjeong could see the small smile playing on Jimin’s lip, before fading back to her stoic features.

 

“By the way.” Everyone kept silent when Jimin spoke. “Minjeong, you are on duty on the second day.”

 

“What?”

 

Minjeong could not believe her ears. That could not happen. Minjeong already had plans with her boyfriend and had been dreaming of the day for the past week.

 

“Why?” Yizhuo asked.

 

Jimin sighed and gave an apologetic look.

 

“Well according to school rules, the class president has to assist in duties for the Summer Festival if they do not meet the proposal’s deadline.” Jimin explained. “However, I did mention to Miss Kang about your circumstances, and she lightened your duties to only the evening shift on the second day.”

 

Minjeong pouted and scrunched up her features, causing Yizhuo and Aeri to laugh.

 

“Sorry Minjeong.” Jimin patted her shoulder once.

 

As Jimin took her leave, Minjeong could still feel the warmness ghosting on her shoulder. Despite that cold mask that she puts on, Minjeong could tell that Jimin tried her best to help her. And she was grateful for that.

 

Everything was not as bad as she thought after all.





 

æ





 

The Summer Festival was here.

 

Minjeong was glad and relieved that her class managed to pull off their booth with no mishaps. All thanks to Jimin, honestly. If she had not provided Minjeong with the numbers, the latter was absolutely sure they wouldn’t be able to make it without bursting their budget.

 

It was the first day, which meant that the boys were to tend to their booth first. Normally Minjeong would worry, but the vice-president of her class was there to maintain the rowdy boys.

 

Wandering aimlessly, her feet took her to Yizhuo’s class. They were doing a game booth - shooting games, with nerf guns and toy arrows and bows.

 

“Ning Yizhuo!” Minjeong exclaimed as she launched herself onto the back of her friend.

 

Surprised, Yizhuo fell forward onto a nearby table, causing Minjeong to fall as well. And unfortunately for Minjeong, what she had grabbed onto was definitely not a table.

 

It was soft. It was squishy. It was warm.

 

Minjeong steady herself immediately as soon as she realised what- who it was.

 

Yizhuo was cackling evilly at the side, pointing at the redness of their student council president.

 

“S-sorry!” Minjeong shouted as she ran out of the room, stopping behind a pillar to calm her drumming heart.

 

The memory replayed itself in Minjeong’s mind and she swore if she was a kettle, she would be screaming out loud.

 

Minjeong had actually d Jimin’s in public.

 

(And secretly enjoyed the feeling of it.)

 

Minjeong’s breath hitched when she realised what she just said in her mind.

 

“Hey.”

 

The sound made Minjeong jump out of her skin, like the weak-hearted she was. Minjeong gets surprised at literally anything, honestly.

 

“O-oh J-Jimin.” Minjeong swallowed as she answered nervously.

 

Jimin chuckled.

 

“It’s fine, you know.”

 

Despite her words, Minjeong could still see the faint pink on Jimin’s cheeks. Minjeong giggled.

 

“I mean, we are both girls.” Jimin said and patted her head gently.

 

Minjeong pouted.

 

“I’m not a dog.”

 

“You are not.” Jimin laughed.

 

Oh how Minjeong missed that pleasant melody from Jimin.

 

“Minjeong’s a puppy that doesn’t bite.” Jimin pinched Minjeong’s fluffy cheeks before pulling her back into the room. “You wanna play?”

 

Minjeong nodded.

 

“I still can’t believe you used to say your dream was becoming a soldier.” Jimin giggled.

 

Minjeong punched her shoulder.

 

“I still want to be one.” Minjeong hushed. “And I can’t believe you still remembered.

 

Before Jimin could reply, Minjeong blasted a shot at the standing cans at the far end of the room, hitting the weak bottom link and causing all of them to tumble.

 

“Wow.” Yizhuo whispered as she brought the prize - a bag of chocolate and candies - to Minjeong.

 

Pretending to put on sunglasses with swag, Minjeong smirked at Jimin and wriggled her eyebrows.

 

“I’m on the next level, Jimin.”

 

With that, Minjeong grabbed the gift bag and left, leaving Yizhuo stunned and Jimin with a mysterious smile.

 

Barely making 10 steps away from Yizhuo’s classroom, Minjeong heard footsteps approaching her. And she knew who it was.

 

“Chasing after your master?” Minjeong shrugged when Jimin caught up with her.

 

“Nah.” Jimin smiled. “My puppy ran too fast despite her short legs.”

 

Huffing, Minjeong elbowed Jimin in her ribs, earning a grunt followed by chuckles.

 

Oh it was bliss for Minjeong right now. Jimin seems to have returned to her former self, joking and playing with Minjeong casually. But she was still holding herself back, and Minjeong wanted to ask why.

 

“Say, Jimin-”

 

“Oh hey, isn’t this my wonderful girlfriend?” A familiar voice cut Minjeong off.

 

Looking up, Minjeong saw her boyfriend in black robes, causing her to giggle.

 

“Hello there Mister.” Minjeong laughed as she brought herself into a hug with the boy. “Care to interest me?”

 

The boy laughed before tapping the shoulders of a leaving Jimin.

 

“My classmate here can explain.” The boy said as he pulled Jimin back, beside Minjeong. “Sorry Min, I have duties…”

 

Not wanting the boy to feel more dejected, Minjeong gave him a gentle rub on his back and whispered good luck before shooing him off to his work.

 

“Well, where were you about to escape to?” Minjeong laughed at the flustered Jimin.

 

“I was…” Jimin stuttered. “I was reserving a slot in the booth for us- I mean, you.”

 

Minjeong smirked before pulling Jimin into the dark room.

 

With a sigh, Jimin sat down beside Minjeong. And across the table sat Aeri. (Jimin knows.)

 

“Welcome, young adventurers.” Aeri mumbled with a strange accent. “What can I offer you?”

 

Still clueless to Aeri’s presence, Minjeong fiddled with her thumbs before mumbling.

 

“Sorry? Could you repeat?” Aeri inched closer, but the hanging beaded threads still obstructed Minjeong’s view to her face. “I couldn’t catch it.”

 

“Our relationship.” Minjeong bravely demanded.

 

Tips of her ears flushing red, Minjeong cleared and looked away from Jimin as she focused on the shuffling of the cards.

 

“I promise, this is not a fraud*.” Aeri said as she spreaded the cards across the table like a professional. “Think of her. Pick three cards.”

 

Minjeong nodded and took a few deep breaths. The whole idea was making her nervous and the fact that Jimin was watching right beside her, made her hands tremble. Minjeong felt like vomiting.

 

“Calm down.” Jimin mumbled and took Minjeong’s hand into her own. “We can do it together.”

 

Despite the darkness of the room, Aeri was able to see the obvious redness on both their cheeks.

 

“T-thanks.” Minjeong replied weakly and allowed Jimin to lead her hands to the cards.

 

Aeri stacked the cards under one another and picked the fourth card herself.

 

“These will show your past, present and future. Along with your general dynamics for the one that I picked.” Aeri whispered, still using the accent she invented.

 

Jimin tried her best not to laugh, allowing herself to focus on the strained brows of Minjeong as she focused.

 

“Your past,” Aeri flipped the first card and paused. “Interesting.”

 

Minjeong stared at the illustration that was boring into her soul.

 

Looks like a good card.

 

“The two people on this card tell me that…” Aeri nervously flipped through the help book at her side. “Oh! You guys had a great relationship didn’t you? You were literally inseparable since birth.”

 

Minjeong blushed and Jimin faked a cough.

 

Aeri giggled and proceeded to flip the next card.

 

“Oh.”

 

Even without reading off from her book, Aeri got an uneasy vibe from the card.

 

“Well, things aren’t exactly going well now.” Minjeong muttered.

 

Minjeong had a hunch on what it meant.

 

“It’s not that bad, Minjeong-” Aeri cleared . “Things are just rocky. There is heavy mist clouding both of you, causing you to drift further due to the misunderstandings that you weren’t able to clear.”

 

Jimin sighed in relief when Minjeong did not find out the tarot reader’s identity.

 

And Minjeong was just amazed at how accurate things were.

 

“Fret not,” Aeri revealed the third card. “Things will soon be cleared up as long as both of you make the effort.”

 

Jimin noticed the discreet glare that Aeri shot her.

 

“Finally, here.”

 

Minjeong held back a gasp as she saw the final card. It was obviously the lovers card.

 

“Ah.” Aeri chuckled. “You guys were destined to be a couple. Thank you for visiting!”

 

Minjeong gave a bow of gratitude before heading out, with Jimin following closely behind.

 

“You know…” Minjeong stopped when she saw the flushed Jimin who attempted to hide her face. “Jimin.”

 

Minjeong giggled and pulled Jimin to an empty corridor.

 

“You know, despite the fact that Aeri was the one saying it,” Jimin widened her eyes when Minjeong revealed. “I still believe it. I mean, the cards wouldn’t lie. Aeri’s not dumb enough to play around with them.”

 

Jimin’s face softened when Minjeong stared into her eyes, as if begging her.

 

“Come back home, Jimin.”

 

Unable to take the intensity that Minjeong was giving off, Jimin took a step away and looked out the window, staring at the tons of students out in the sun, enjoying themselves.

 

“Minjeong, you have to understand.” Jimin whispered.

 

Minjeong could barely catch that low deep voice of hers.

 

“I just can’t do it anymore.” Jimin said, even softer. “It hurts.”

 

Before Minjeong could process, Jimin had turned and made her leave. What confused Minjeong the most were the tears that threatened to pour from the older’s eyes.





 

æ





 

Minjeong couldn’t get her thoughts out of her mind. She had almost spilled steaming coffee on her boyfriend while serving in her butler outfit. Minjeong was unfocused, even when Yizhuo and Aeri talked to her.

 

“Minjeong?” Chaeryeong called out. “Are you alright?”

 

Minjeong nodded weakly as Chaeryeong brought her to rest at a table.

 

“Take a break?”

 

“But I’m on shift.” Minjeong said, but nodded in appreciation.

 

“Chaeyeon can help.” Chaeryeong pointed to the older girl in front of her.

 

For a split second, Minjeong mistook her as Chaeryeong. The two had strong resemblance and it was not hard to notice their relationship.

 

Sensing Minjeong’s thoughts, Chaeyeon laughed, in a unique manner that made the two girls laugh as well.

 

“Anything for my younger sister.” Chaeyeon said as she stood to get ready. “Good work, Minjeong. And thank you for always looking out for Ryeongie.”

 

Minjeong smiled.

 

Bless these two angels.

 

Minjeong sighed as she took a bite into the chocolate cake that Chaeryeong served.

 

Hopefully, Jimin was on duty tonight as well. Minjeong wants to talk.

 

“Hey beautiful.” Minjeong brightened up as her boyfriend approached her table. “Is this seat taken?”

 

“Yes.” Minjeong laughed when he pouted. “Seriously, it is. By Chaeyeon.”

 

The tiny girl pointed to the Chae sisters who seemed to be dancing outside, attracting customers.

 

“I’ll just borrow it for a second then.”

 

Minjeong smiled as he sat down, taking her hand into his bigger ones.

 

“Sorry, I can’t make it for tonight…” Minjeong sighed as she played with his fingers. “Miss Kang wouldn’t budge. I mean, Jimin tried to help, but well...”

 

Despite having his own disappointment, the boy gave Minjeong a smile of reassurance.

 

“That’s a pity, I won’t lie.” He said. “But we still have many years ahead don’t we? Let’s do it next year.”

 

Minjeong felt fuzzy at his words, the back of his hand with her thumb gently.

 

The comfortable silent staring contest soon ended with a cough interrupting.

 

“Minjeong.”

 

Minjeong could recognise the voice from anywhere.

 

“Jimin.”

 

Staring back and forth between Minjeong and Jimin, the poor boy swallowed hard at the tension. He felt as if he would be snapped in half if he spoke.

 

“5pm. Student council room.”

 

Without Minjeong’s reply, Jimin had already made her way outside.

 

“You okay Min?”

 

Minjeong weakly nodded.

 

“We might have fought yesterday.” Minjeong admitted.

 

“What?” The boy stood up, as if he was about to go after Jimin.

 

“Wait no!.” Minjeong held his hand and pulled him back down. “I think it’s my fault… I-”

 

The tiny girl freed her hands and brought them to her face, sniffling a little.

 

“I made her cry.”

 

Minjeong heard a gasp of disbelief from her boyfriend.

 

“Jimin cried?”

 

She didn’t answer. Instead, Minjeong brought her gaze to her classmates as she successfully hid her tears.

 

“Look at them.” Minjeong smiled genuinely. “How sweet.”

 

Minjeong’s boyfriend looked over and saw Chaeyeon with an older girl that didn’t look like she was from their school.

 

“Saku-chan!” Chaeyeon sighed in happiness as she hugged the shorter Japanese, spinning her around.

 

“Sakura’s gonna get dizzy.” Chaeryeong chuckled at her sister.

 

Minjeong smiled and muttered to herself, making sure no one could hear her.

 

“I wish I could be like them.”

 

“What?” The boy laughed, not noticing Minjeong’s troubled expression. “You want us to be sweet? I can spin you too.”

 

Minjeong faked a laugh and shook her head.

 

“I’ll go back to work.” Minjeong said. “I can’t steal Chaeyeon’s date just for me to be on one.”

 

Minjeong’s boyfriend pouted before nodding understandingly.

 

“Be careful, Min.” He gave her a final hug. “I’ll go look for my friends. Text you tonight!”

 

The small girl nodded as she waved, watching him disappear into the corridors.

 

“Chaeyeon!” Minjeong gave her a quick hug and released her before Sakura could get jealous. “Thanks for helping. Please do not let me hinder your date!”

 

The older girl blushed as Sakura giggled, bowing slightly in gratitude.

 

“Are you sure you are okay now?” Chaeyeon’s eyes were filled with concern. “Let Ryeong know if you need a break, okay?”

 

Minjeong shook her head.

 

“I do not want to impose. Besides, Sakura-san seems like the jealous type.”

 

Chaeyeon gave her infamous laugh as Sakura pinch her arm playfully, the red reaching her charming ears.

 

“We could always have a date here, with Sakura the butler serving me of course!” Chaeyeon teased as she gave her girlfriend a side glance. “I would pay for it.”

 

“Tonight, babe.” Sakura whispered, causing a dark shade of red to envelop Chaeyeon’s cheeks as she hid her face from Minjeong.

 

Minjeong laughs before walking back to the counter, serving again.

 

Soon the hours passed and it was time for Minjeong to meet Jimin for her duties. Rushing over to the student council room in her butler uniform, Minjeong barged in, forgetting her manners.

 

“Sorry I’m late.” Minjeong huffed as she rested her hands on her knees, catching her breath.

 

Luckily for her, only Miss Kang and Jimin were in the room.

 

“Please learn to knock, Minjeong.” Jimin hissed.

 

Waving Jimin off, Miss Kang guided the small girl to a seat.

 

“It’s alright, Minjeong.” Miss Kang said as she handed the girl a cup of water. “Sorry for putting you on duty with Jimin.”

 

Jimin huffed.

 

“That’s enough, Aunt.” Jimin rolled her eyes as Miss Kang gave her a teasing smile.

 

Oh she definitely did not sound sorry.

 

Minjeong has known Miss Kang since young too. And she knew that Aunt Seulgi just wanted the best for both of them.

 

The tiny girl waved bye as Miss Kang made her way out of the room.

 

“Jimin?”

 

The older girl hummed in response while getting her stuff together.

 

“Sorry about yesterday.” Minjeong said. ”Please talk to me so I can understand.”

 

Jimin froze.

 

The room was so silent, Minjeong could hear the water droplets from the nearby restroom, dripping down in a steady rhythm.

 

As the silence got more and more uncomfortable, Minjeong sighed.

 

“Fine. Talk to me when you are ready.” The tiny girl said as she walked over to Jimin.

 

Minjeong placed her arms around the stiff Jimin.

 

“Can we be okay at least?” Minjeong asked. “I miss you. But I can wait for you, Jimin. Whenever you are ready to be home with me.”

 

Jimin tensed up at the mention of home.

 

“Thanks Minjeong.” Jimin struggled a whisper.

 

Staying in each other’s warmth for a little while more, Jimin pulled away reluctantly. And the slightly puffy eyes of Jimin sold her out to Minjeong.

 

Jimin had sobbed on her shoulders.

 

“Let’s go and wrap things up shall we?” Jimin said with a smile that did not reach her eyes.

 

Minjeong placed her hand in Jimin’s and gave it an assuring squeeze.

 

“Let’s go.” Minjeong smiled.

 

Hand in hand, the duo went to check on preparations for the bonfire first, ensuring all safety measures and procedures were carried out before starting the final event. After giving the green light, they proceeded to check in on the classes, Jimin ensuring that everyone was doing their part to clean up and Minjeong gave small encouragement speeches here and there.

 

Some of which made Jimin giggle, surprising the students on site.

 

A few whispers could even be heard, and Minjeong didn’t like the idea of it.

 

“I didn’t know the Yoo Jimin could be such a beauty.”

 

“Oh wow she’s cute.” Another said.

 

Before things escalated, Minjeong had pulled Jimin out and made their way to the next room.

 

“Jealous much?” Jimin teased as she poked Minjeong’s fluffy cheeks.

 

“W-what?” Minjeong huffed as she stopped her tracks. “Who says I’m jealous of them?”

 

Jimin stared wide-eyed before chuckling, playing music for Minjeong’s ears.

 

“No one said that.” Jimin smiled as Minjeong turned red. “I mean, are you jealous of me? You know, getting compliments?”

 

Minjeong crossed her arms and strode off, ignoring Jimin’s teasing.

 

“Whatever.”

 

“Don’t be.” Jimin whispered, lips almost touching Minjeong’s earlobe. “You look hot in that suit.”

 

Minjeong pushed Jimin away and fanned her cheeks, suddenly hating that it was Summer.

 

Still chuckling, Jimin gently took Minjeong’s warm hands back into hers, entering the next class.

 

“Everything alright?” Jimin asked as she scanned her own classroom.

 

Aeri whistled when she noticed their linked hands, and looked away when Minjeong glared.

 

“All’s good, Jimin.” Minjeong’s boyfriend approached the two. “Hey there Minjeong.”

 

Minjeong smiled brightly at the sight of her boyfriend.

 

“I’m still sorry for not being able to make it to the bonfire.” Minjeong made puppy eyes at the boy.

 

The sight of it made Jimin frown and grit her teeth, unconsciously squeezing hard on Minjeong’s hand.

 

“Ow.” Minjeong winced and her boyfriend immediately took her hand out of Jimin’s.

 

“Are you okay? Do you need a pain-relief spray?” Minjeong’s boyfriend gestured to his sports bag.

 

Minjeong shook her head and brought another smile up to her face.

 

“I’m alright.”

 

“What’s your problem?” Minjeong’s boyfriend snapped harshly, gaining the attention from the class.

 

“I didn’t mean it.” Jimin took a step back, still staring at Minjeong’s slightly red hands. “I promise, I would never hurt her. Not on purpose.”

 

Minjeong felt warmness growing in her heart upon hearing Jimin’s words.

 

“Hey, let’s drop it. It was just a sudden static shock between our hands.” Minjeong lied. “Jimin did nothing.”

 

Well, obviously Minjeong’s boyfriend could tell that it was a lie. But Minjeong was giving him a look to not make things worse. And so he nodded with a sigh.

 

“Take care, Min.”

 

“I’ll be fine. Thank you.” Minjeong smiled before waving to Aeri at the far corner of the room.

 

“Let’s go.” Minjeong tugged at the sleeve of Jimin’s uniform, leading her out.

 

The rest of the checks went smoothly but quietly. No words were exchanged between the two. And Minjeong was worried.

 

Jimin seemed lifeless again.

 

“Jimin.” Minjeong whispered as they reached the site of the bonfire. “It’s really okay. You didn’t mean to.”

 

Jimin flinched at Minjeong’s almost pleading tone.

 

“I’m sorry.” Jimin finally said.

 

The simple words brought a small smile to Minjeong’s lips as she nodded in reply.

 

“Let’s do some crowd-control, shall we?”

 

Jimin hummed in agreement.

 

But before Minjeong disappeared into the sea of humans, Jimin pulled her into a hug.

 

“Meet me there after everything.”

 

After feeling the firm nod against her shoulder, Jimin released her grip on Minjeong and went into the crowd, not leaving a trace for Minjeong to follow.

 

The girls, along with the other student council members were to do petrols and crowd-control, just to ensure everything and everyone was safe. And it was an individual job, in order to expand their reach.

 

Minjeong wouldn’t lie that the thought of ditching her duties and joining her boyfriend didn’t cross her mind. But her thought of Jimin held her back. Minjeong wouldn’t know how to answer Jimin.

 

And most importantly, Minjeong didn’t want to disappoint the older.

 

Thankfully, nothing dangerous happened in Minjeong’s area, aside from a few minor catfights between girls, comparing their partners and fighting over their crushes. Minjeong had to shout at them if they refused to cease at once.

 

Don’t let her tiny body fool you. Kim Minjeong was second to none - or maybe Yizhuo could beat her - at being loud. And Minjeong knew, for a fact, that Jimin could hear her, even from the other side of the field.

 

“Go get’em Minjeong!” Was a reply from Yizhuo from God knows where, whenever Minjeong shouted.

 

And just like that, Minjeong’s long awaited Summer Festival was over.

 

Happy memories, sad memories, Minjeong doesn’t care. All she knew was that she had enjoyed herself for unknown reasons.





 

æ





 

As Minjeong made her way up the hill behind their high school, she spotted a familiar silhouette gazing lonely into the horizon.

 

“Boo!” Minjeong blew a puff of air into Jimin’s ears.

 

Before Jimin could turn around, Minjeong had placed a cold can of sprite on Jimin’s neck making her flinch.

 

“Seriously Minjeong!” Jimin laughed as she rolled on the picnic blanket, clutching her neck. “How old are you?”

 

Frowning, Minjeong laid her head on top of Jimin’s tummy when she rolled to a stop.

 

“Stop treating me like a kid, Jimin.”

 

Jimin did a merong and chuckled. Her vibrating stomach made Minjeong’s head bounce, causing her to laugh as well.

 

“You gave me a reason to.” Jimin nudged Minjeong up, letting her rest on her shoulder as they watched the twinkling stars in the sky.

 

Minjeong sighed in content.

 

There was a reason why she loved this place. Actually, scratch that. There were too many reasons.

 

One was definitely the amazing view. One was from the serenity from the lack of visitors due to the long climb. One was because it was Jimin’s safe place - Jimin said so herself when she first brought Minjeong there, and Minjeong almost hugged her to death.

 

But out of the million reasons why the place was perfect, all Minjeong needed was this single one.

 

Jimin was here.

 

And Jimin was herself. It was the Jimin that Minjeong grew up with. The Jimin that Minjeong missed.

 

Jimin was free like a bird.



 

“Minjeong?” Jimin called as she searched the place.

 

It was the first Winter since Minjeong entered high school, and her second break-up in her whole life.

 

“Minjeong…” Jimin whispered sweetly, coaxing the tiny huddled up girl to face her, when she was found under a tree. “Come here.”

 

Without much resistance, Jimin lifted Minjeong up in her arms and carried her over to the picnic blanket that was already set up.

 

“Jagiya…” Jimin unwrapped a chocolate bar and pressed it to Minjeong’s mouth when her sobbing was under control. “Have this.”

 

As Minjeong was cutely munching on the sinful bar, Jimin tore open a carton of milk, holding it near Minjeong.

 

“Let it all out, Minjeong.” Jimin cooed as she held Minjeong’s face to her shoulders as soon as the girl started sobbing again when her snacks were all finished. “I’m here. Let it all out.”

 

After that, Minjeong spilled everything to Jimin, not without hiccups and sniffling in between. But Jimin does not care that mucus was running from Minjeong’s nose or that her nose was as red as rudolph.

 

Minjeong was still the goddess Jimin always thought she was.

 

And Jimin made sure she knew.

 

“What? He is absolutely blind if he called you fat.” Jimin crossed her arms and huffed, blowing a strand of hair into the air before it landed in between her eyes, making Minjeong laugh. “I mean all I’m seeing is a goddess in front of me.”

 

Minjeong recalled getting jittery at Jimin’s words, slapping her shoulder playfully out of embarrassment.

 

“I don’t mind a goddess’ mucus on my sleeves either.” Jimin shrugged, a playfully smirk resting on her plump lips. “Especially the goddess of clowns.”

 

Just before Minjeong could give her another slap - this time, a harder one - Jimin was already up and running. And the evening passed with the two silly girls playing catch, one laughing till her sides hurt and the other crying, but from laughter.

 

Eventually, Minjeong managed to tackle Jimin down and tickled her until she apologised.



 

“Jimin.” Minjeong called.

 

“Yes, jagiya?”

 

Minjeong smiled at the nickname. It was a nickname they got for each other from a young age. And Minjeong missed the sound of it. Apparently, Jimin only calls her that when they are alone on top of the hill. And the only times both of them were there together were the Winters when Minjeong’s heart broke.

 

But here’s a new memory for Minjeong. They were finally here in Summer and for a totally different reason. Their relationship seems to be healing and Minjeong sure hopes Jimin does not give her the cold shoulder tomorrow.

 

“Please don’t change tomorrow.” Minjeong whispered. “Or I wouldn’t want tomorrow to come.”

 

Jimin gave an ambiguous smile in return before turning to her bag.

 

“Ta-dah.” The taller girl flashed a bag of colorful sticks in front of Minjeong. “I got us some light.”

 

Minjeong was still stunned when Jimin was already tearing open the package, lighting up the sparkler near the small bucket she prepared.

 

“I know today didn’t turn out well for you.” Jimin started. “I mean, the whole Summer Festival was probably messy for you. And it’s partly because of me, isn’t it?”

 

Minjeong looked to see hope in Jimin’s eyes, as if wanting Minjeong to say no.

 

But before Minjeong could tell Jimin what she really thought, the older girl had stood up, swinging her sparkler around until the spark died.

 

“Well, it’s not the same… But I hope this could make up for the bonfire dance you missed. At least a little.” Jimin rambled on. “Even though your boyfriend isn’t here and you are stuck with me.”

 

“You are enough.” Minjeong whispered as she hugged Jimin from behind.

 

They stayed still for a moment. The silent embracing them in a comfortable hug. Minjeong could really stay like this forever and not get tired. At least figuratively. Her legs would probably be sore after a few hours.

 

“Summer Festival wasn’t that big of a mess for me, I enjoyed it.” Minjeong spoke softly as she subconsciously traced patterns along the flat of Jimin’s abs. “Mostly because my friends were around me. I even made new friends. And my boyfriend was with me too.”

 

Jimin bit her lips, a little too hard and now blood was seeping through it. She was glad Minjeong couldn’t see her.

 

“But mostly because you were with me, Yoo Jimin.” Minjeong sobbed. “Please, Jimin.”

 

The taller girl knows what Minjeong was referring to. But she also knew that if she went back beside Minjeong, she would not be able to hold herself back. It might bring more suffering to Minjeong instead, if Minjeong ever finds out about Jimin’s reason.

 

Jimin was too hurt to let herself near Minjeong. Call it excuses, but Jimin knows it was her defense mechanism at work.

 

“I’m sorry.” Jimin hushed and turned around, tucking the tiny girl’s head under her chin.

 

Minjeong allowed herself to relax into the warmth of Jimin.

 

As soon as she stopped her sobbing, Minjeong snuggled her face into Jimin’s chest, only for a memory to surface. As if burned, Minjeong winced and took a step back from Jimin, face red like a tomato.

 

“Min...jeong?” Jimin was confused. But soon, she was smirking when she realised what Minjeong was blushing about.

 

“You know, just for you,” Jimin leaned in and Minjeong took another step back. “The look-don’t-touch rule doesn’t apply.”

 

Minjeong gulped as she stared at Jimin’s full bosom, face flushing redder.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter