Chapter 1

Home | Jungkook (Completed)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Ready?" Mrs. Kim asked as she held onto the younger girl's hands, "Ready!" The young girl's voice called out and turned to Jihyun, "Eomma, are you ready?"

She smiled at her daughter as she patted her head, "Ready whenever you are, Junghyun."

Stepping onto the cold streets of Seoul outside Incheon airport was different this time.

The night air felt different and the sky looked a lot clearer, the air in Seoul was definitely fresher than it was in New York. Breathing in the cold air, it dawned on her that it had been six years since she had stepped into her home country.

This time it was different - instead of just her and her mother, she had a 6 years old Junghyun beside her.

When she left for a job in Vogue New York as a fashion editor six years ago, She was ready to stay in the Big Apple for a long time. She applied for the job as a chance to escape the city, and when she received the opportunity to be 6863 miles away from Seoul, she took it.

Landing in New York after what seemed like the worst heartbreak of her life was too much to bear. The first few months were hell, but she knew that anything was better than staying in Seoul. Having to adapt to a new culture and a new environment, things were taking a toll on her. In a city filled with dreams and people, she seemed so small and alone. Most nights were spent pitying herself and mending her broken heart in the corner of her room, eating takeout and binge-watching a drama series, ignoring the calls of her friends ,and only managing to prepare herself enough to seem like she was doing alright at work even though everything seemed like a mess.

It was difficult, but the best blessing that came was her daughter - an unexpected surprise when she found out she was pregnant during a compulsory medical check up for work. She was the best thing that had ever happened and what saved her from the most depressing episode in her life.

--Flashback--

"Congratulations on your pregnancy, Miss Kim!" The doctor announced as he pulled up her medical report and placed the positive results in front of Jihyun. She widened her eyes in surprise. "What...?"

"You've been pregnant for about two months, Miss Kim. Do be careful as you just took a long-distance flight, we don't recommend flying for expecting mothers."

"I'm pregnant?" She gasped loudly and the doctor merely nodded, "Yes, do let your husband know about the good news."

"I'm not married."

But she knew it had to be his.

Upon learning about her pregnancy, her worried mother instantly booked the next flight to New York. This way, Jihyun could still go on with her job, and her mother was in charge of taking care of Junghyun while taking on a short part-time job to help with expenses. Life was simple, but simple was all Jihyun asked for after the turmoil she went through in Korea.

Life as a single mother was different, scary, yet exciting. She had to learn all the ropes on how to be a mother, deal with waking up at ungodly hours to feed milk, she didn't have anyone apart from her mother to lean on, and she wished she could share her troubles with a partner when things got tough. All she had was Junghyun, who she named after combining his and her name - that was the only trace of memory she could hold onto as she had chosen for Junghyun to take her surname instead. Kim Junghyun, not Jeon Junghyun. The young girl, whose features bore so many similarities to her and her ex-lover, all the features she loved and missed of him - she was the only proof of their memories, that their love actually existed.

Nevertheless, things started getting better, and the nights didn't feel so long and lonely anymore as she started embracing her new life. Junghyun was slowly growing up over the years and even though she was a single mother, she was happy to have a little ball of sunshine to look forward to at the end of every tiring day. She had a tight-knitted group of neighbours-turned-friends, she was starting to be recognized at work, she had a great boss, and she started to enjoy her job as she escaped being the 'new girl who had to bring coffee to set.'

She refused to access anything on the Internet regarding news in Seoul and deactivated all her social media accounts, only replying to texts from friends in Seoul once in a while. She ignored the texts asking her "What happened?" and "Why did you leave?", and they seemed to finally take the hint that she will never tell anyone apart from her family the true story. She wanted to forget her life in Seoul, as if her time there had not been one of the happiest ye

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter