The Last Opportunity

Love is Simple
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sorry for the late update, i've been busy with life that I've forgot to update this story. This will be the last chapter, Hope you enjoy the journey.

31st January 2019

Jongkook has his last class for the debate course. He was discussing with his team about the video they need to make for the final project when he received a text from Jihyo.

Jihyo: Oppa, Donna just ask you to a dinner for our farewell as it was out last week for our stay.

Jongkook: Alright, I can make it. Where do we meet?

Jihyo: the restaurant is close to the campus, so we meet at the Happy Italy restaurant we have eaten at before.

Jongkook: Okay Jihyo-ya, See you!

For the first time since they know each other, he uses an emoji in his text.

Jongkook tried to focus on his discussion because the team wanted to finish the project today. Jongkook then proceeds to continue the discussion.

He was about to propose his idea when his friend gasp with a high pitch. He asked what happened and she said that she failed some of her courses and it disrupts her plan for the whole year. She said that she needs to do over her class for the semester. She cried, the girls tried to soothe her by saying it is going to be okay. But she then said in between her cried that she will have to and another year at campus and it will add her parent's burden and she already plans her study for her whole study on the campus.

The atmosphere is getting heavy. He didn’t know what to do. He just sat there while hearing sobbing and calming words from the other side of the room. He is holding a paper and hang his head down. He didn’t really know how but it affects his heart. It starts to become heavy. He really wants to help but he can’t do anything about it.

Then the girl who cried said something quite surprising. “Let’s get over with our project,” he was shocked, his head snapped and his eyes widen. Then she adds, “I don’t really care about this course anymore, I’ll help you guys finish this course,” he clear his throat and said, “Alright, let’s do it,”.

The project runs smoothly as the group just wanted the project to be over, doesn’t really care about the quality. Jongkook was able to lead finishing the project and get it done in a fast manner.

“Hey, it is going to be okay,” Jongkook said to his friends who cried as soothing words for her and help her cry. “I’ll try to edit it as best as I could,” he adds as he agreed to edit the project. “Thank you,” she thanked him as he side-hug her and squeeze her shoulder gently. “Please let me know if you need anything, I’ll try my best to help you,” he then walks towards the door and bids goodbye.

He walks outside the campus with a heavy feeling, he felt as his mood change drastically. As he was excited to see Jihyo tonight but then sad and helpless from his friends who have to re-do her semester. He would not be affected if she just needs to re-do the courses she failed in, but she needs to re-do her whole semester, enough to even bother Jongkook who doesn’t really care about his grade.

As he walks towards Happy Italy, he was contemplating about bailing out from the dinner because he doesn’t want to ruin the mood in the dinner. He even texted Jihyo saying that he cannot join the said dinner because he had a long day and he just wanted to rest or lie on his bed.

On his way to the tram station, he almost breaks down in tears just imagining him being in her position and how bad he feels when he knows he can’t do anything about it. He instead leaning on a wall outside a building to hold himself from breaking down.

He reached the tram station in a slow manner, he usually reached the station in less than 5 minutes. This time, he takes almost 10 minutes, just to hold himself together. The tram arrives after few minutes of waiting but then Jihyo arrives in the tram he is about to get on and she is on the same door he waits on.

Jihyo then drags him towards the restaurant they agreed on the meeting. Jihyo held his arm but said nothing, she knows he doesn’t want to talk about it yet, so she didn’t push him. “I won’t push you to talk about it, but just forget it for a moment when we enjoy our dinner with our local friends,” Jihyo breaks the silence. He was quite surprised by her statement so he looks at her with a sweet and calm smile instead. He nods and adds, “Okay, I’ll tell you later,” after he saw some of their friends arrives at the meeting place.

The dinner went out smoothly with some sad emotions from their local friends because it will be the last time they see each other. Jongkook was rather quiet because of the effect of his project earlier. They chat about how their class was, what their first impression of each other was, and how about their lives in Rotterdam.

After their dinner finished, Denise paid for the dinner as a farewell present for Jihyo and Jongkook. They went out of the restaurant and walk towards the tram station to go to their own place. Jongkook walk slowly and then Jihyo noticed that. Jihyo slows her pace down to match Jongkook. “What is it about Oppa, you seem really affected by it,” she breaks the silence as she met Jongkook pace. He messages his forehead and closes his eyes, “It is quite long, I’ll tell you at the tram,” and he adds “it really sad though,”. He looks at Jihyo as his hand brushes her hands as they walk closely beside each other.

They arrive at the tram and head back home, Jongkook tells Jihyo what happened before the dinner and the reason he didn’t want to come, afraid that he would ruin the mood. Jihyo feel the same way if she was the same situation as him and would even cry if she actually the one who suffer from the failed grades.

But instead, she calms him down by saying that he didn’t ruin the mood at the dinner, he was the one who talks the most. He didn’t realize that he can put the sadness aside and be present at the dinner until she told him on the way back.

He felt better after hearing the soothing words from Jihyo.

They arrived at the apartment and bid goodbye to Jihyo and didn’t forget to say thank you for being the ears for him tonight.

He arrives at his apartment only to be greeted by Yannick.

“Hey, do you want to join us drinking tonight? it will be my farewell party. As this week is my final week here before moving back to Belgium,” he said at the door through the kitchen.

“Sounds fun, when will you leave? And can I invite my friend from Korea as well? She loves to drink,” he thought this could be his chance to drink his problems away, especially after a sad day like this.

“Sure, the more the merrier,” Yannick’s eyes light up that his roommate is coming to his invite.

“I let her know,” he said as he proceeds to his room to change and freshen up.

He texts her the invite, which she excitedly accept as she is getting lonely drinking alone in her room.

Jongkook then picks Jihyo up in her apartment and heads to the bar together. Yannick is rich enough to booked half of the bar and treats every friend who showed up at the bar.

Jongkook and Jihyo drinks, which they got introduced to by lots of Yannick’s friends. They talk about their study, their life, how the culture in Europe differs from in Asia.

They got close to a man named Husein, he is one of the foreign students who lives in the same building but goes to a different universities. He was easy-going, fun, and quite loud. They drink until Jongkook was tipsy. Jihyo then excuses herself to the toilet.

Husein leans towards Jongkook. “I think you liked her,” he whispers in his ears as the bar was quite noisy from the talking and live music.

Jongkook only respond with questioning eyes

“It shows in your eyes, which got excited every time she talks,” Husein respond to Jongkook who has now put his forehead on the desk and shake his head.

“Just tell her man, what’s the worst thing can happen,” Husein slaps his arm with his teasing tone.

“I COULD LOSE HER FOREVER!” he shouts as he pulls up his head and glares at Husein.

The whole bar goes quiet and looks at Jongkook.

“If you do not do anything, you lose her. If you confess to her, she could accept you or rejects you, in both cases you lose her. But you could choose which one is worth,” Husein whisper in Jongkook’s ear as he taps Jongkook’s back. “It’s your decision, I’ll be going around,” Husein left Jongkook stunned at his words.

“Tell me the news,” Husein said from afar.

Jongkook’s head has never worked this hard for thinking something. He then sobered up with Husein’s word. Then Jihyo comes back from the toilet.

“Where’s Husein?” she asks as she sits beside Jongkook.

“He’s looking for his friends,” he said as he points with his eyes.

Jongkook cannot focus as he keeps thinking about Husein’s words earlier.

“Are you done or do you still want to drink?” he asked her as he really wants to go home.

“Well, I still want to drink some more, why?” she turns to ask him.

“Well, I do want to go back, but I can accompany you until you are done,” he replied as he orders another beer for him.

“Because Husein leaves us, let’s talk about our problem Oppa,” she suggests such an idea because it’s Husein who engages them in conversation.

“What? Why?” he responds with a confused look on his face.

“Just to keep us talking, I’m getting bored here,” as she finishes her drinks and orders another one.

“Well, I start then,” he said as he straightened his back. “I think I have a crush on a girl and I don’t know if I should confess to her or not, it's been going for a while though,” his shoulder relaxes as the weight has been lifted off from him.

“Wow, what a confession you have there Oppa,” she was surprised by his words there but she doesn’t show it in her face.

“Well, you ask for my problem, that’s one of them, I could tell you more problems if you want,” he teases her as this is her idea.

“No, no, no, we finish this first then move to another one,” she doesn’t know that Jongkook was teasing her. But she takes it seriously.

“Well, what’s your suggestion here?” he asks as he drinks his beer.

“Hmm, you should confess to her Oppa, because she could have the same feeling towards you, but surprise her. You should confess at the place she least expected,” she gives her suggestion even though she was quite disappointed that Jongkook likes someone else.

“Alright, I’ll take note of that,” he nods as he keeps it in his head. “What’s yours?” he adds as he turns to Jihyo.

“Hmm, I don’t think I have at the moment Oppa,” she lied because she got surprised by his words earlier.

Disappointed is an understatement. She feels like her heart is ripped apart and crushed. She is the one who wanted to stay for another drink but now, she just wants to go home and lie on her bed.

She finishes her drinks a while ago and keeps staring at the front, ignoring Jongkook who is enjoying his beer.

“What happened Jihyo-ya? I thought you want to stay here longer,” he asks as he put his glass down. “What’s with the long face?” he a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter