Friendiversary

Best Buddies

 

Jacob is making lunch for the maknaes, when all of a sudden, Kevin comes running into the kitchen. 

"Jacob! Jacob! Guess what day it is!"

"I don't know. It's just a regular Saturday." Jacob replies. 

"What? But today is-" Kevin is about to explain before Jacob cuts him off. 

"Our friendship anniversary. I was just kidding." Jacob replies.

He turns around to reveal that he is wearing the matching sweater the two of them planned on wearing today. It has Spongebob and Patrick on it and has the words best friends underneath the two of them. 

"Of course I wouldn't forget today." Jacob adds. 

"Especially since we picked out those custom friendship rings last week. They finally came in the mail today, just in time!" Kevin responds. 

Kevin takes the rings out of the box, and thankfully, they are exactly what they expected. 

The rings have an infinity symbol on the front that has the letters bff towards the bottom of the symbol. On the inside of the rings, it has their names. 

"Well, now that we have our matching sweaters and friendship rings, let's head out." Kevin announces. 

"Wait. Speaking of rings, I should probably tell Sangyeon that we are leaving." 

Jacob calls out to his husband, who shows up seconds later. 

"Yes, Jake Jake?" Sangyeon responds. 

"Kevin and I are going out now. We'll be back by dinner time. Also can you give the maknaes their lunch? I made the food, you just have to pour their juice." Jacob explains. 

"Will do. You two have fun today." Sangyeon says, giving Jacob a kiss. 

"We will. See you later!"

Jacob and Kevin leave the dorm and head to the ice rink for some ice skating. 

"Hey, remember the first time we went ice skating together?" Jacob brings up, as they are getting ready to go on the ice.

~ Flashback ~

"Kevin, come on. Let's get on the ice." Jacob said. 

Kevin stayed on the bench, not wanting to get up. 

"Ummm, I can't. I think I have a cold, maybe we should just go home." Kevin says, fake coughing. 

"You were fine on the way here. You suddenly got sick in just twenty minutes?" Jacob questions. 

"Yes." 

"Kevin, what's wrong? Why don't you want to skate? You said you love ice skating."

"I do love it, I just.... don't know how to ice skate."

"What?"

"I always wanted to try it because it looks like so much fun, but I never got around to it." Kevin explains. 

"Why did you tell me that you could ice skate then?" Jacob asks. 

"Because I really wanted you to be friends with me, so I didn't want to disappoint you by saying I didn't know how to ice skate. I'm sorry." Kevin admits. 

"Kevin, you don't have to lie to be my friend. I already think you are pretty cool." 

Kevin smiles back in response. 

"Since you actually know how to ice skate, can you teach me?" 

"I would love to." Jacob replies, putting his hand out to Kevin.

~ End of flashback ~

"Have you improved since then, Kevin?"

"You know it. Just watch this." 

Kevin gets onto the ice and pushes off, but falls down several seconds later. 

"What exactly am I supposed to be watching?" Jacob jokes, as he helps Kevin up. 

"Okay, maybe I didn't improve all that much. At least I didn't immediately fall like I used to."

"Don't worry, you can always hang onto me." 

"Thanks man." Kevin responds, latching onto Jacob's arm. 

The two of them have fun skating around the rink for the next hour. 

Afterwards, they go to a cafe. 

"We always get cookies, we should get cake to celebrate today." Kevin suggests. 

"Okay. What kind of cake?"

"That cinnamon one with the cream cheese icing looks the best." Kevin answers. 

Jacob agrees and the two of them order the piece of cake to share and coffees. 

"You were right Kevin, this is a really good cake." Jacob admits, as they eat it. 

"Well, I am a master when it comes to cakes." 

"More like a master when it comes to eating cakes and making a mess. You have icing on your face." Jacob says, before he wipes Kevin's face with a napkin. 

"Jacob, I'm not Eric." Kevin whines. 

"What do you mean?"

"I mean that you are babying me."

"I'm just helping you out, not babying you. I see you as a little brother, not a baby brother like Eric. It's hard not to with how you act sometimes, you get all excited about sweets like the maknaes do." Jacob replies. 

"I do not."

"Really? Then how about I go and get you some macarons then?"

"Oh my gosh, really?! Please, please, please! You know how much I love those things." Kevin responds, practically jumping up and down. 

"See?"

"That's because this is macarons we are talking about, not just anything. You'll still get them though, right?"

"Of course." Jacob smiles, before getting up. 

After their time at the cafe, the two of them go to their last activity for today, which is painting vases. They each pick out their own vase and start painting it. They don't really talk much during this time since they are so focused, especially Kevin. 

Once their vases are complete, they look over them together. 

"Wow, those flowers look so real, Kevin. Your vase is really pretty." Jacob says. 

"Thanks, your vase is cool too. Those puppies are so cute."

Jacob smiles and thanks Kevin, that compliment means a lot coming from him. Jacob is not as skilled in the arts as Kevin is, so getting a compliment from him is a big deal. 

Now that their vases are done and dry, the two of them wrap the vases in boxes so they can take them home. 

"Today was really fun. I'm glad we're best friends." Kevin states, as they walk home. 

"Yeah, me too. You know, back when we first started training, I kinda wanted to quit and just go back home. I got homesick sometimes, but then I met you and we started hanging out and it made me feel better to know that I wasn't alone and that we can relate to each other so much." Jacob begins. 

"If I wasn't for you, I might have given up and gone back home. Then I never would have been able to have fun with all of you guys and I never would have married Sangyeon. Which is why I am very thankful for you." Jacob continues, turning to Kevin to see that he is now crying.

"Kevin, are you okay?"

"Yeah. it's just what you said was so heartwarming and touching." Kevin answers, wiping away his tears. 

"Awww, come here." Jacob says, putting one arm around his best friend and giving him a hug. 

They keep walking and Kevin eventually stops crying. 

"I know we are just wearing these shirts for today and probably some other random times in between, but can we wear our friendship rings all the time?" Kevin suggests. 

"You bet we can. We're best friends forever." Jacob agrees, putting his hand with the ring out. 

Kevin catches on and taps his ring to Jacob's in a fist bump. 

"Forever." Kevin smiles.