The Change

The River
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was a little over a week after the scarring incident that extended over the course of a few days, and a lot had changed in just ten days. For instance, the semester recommenced after a few quick arrangements and notices.

Soobin limped his way out of his class, using his crutches to help him walk along the crowded hallway; he didn’t have a fractured bone, but he insisted on having a cast around his right leg and using crutches, the discomfort from his bruised skin and flesh being stretched with every step being his only reasonable excuse.

He greeted a few classmates and professors on his path as he continued strolling along, only to pause near the stairs. He didn’t want to bother someone to help him down the stairs, but he didn’t want to risk worsening his already existing injury. He always had one of his friends by his side, and he wondered why none of them were here now.

“Hyung, wait up!”, a voice called out loudly.

Soobin breathed out in relief; he didn’t know why he doubted his friends. As he looked over his shoulder, he smiled softly at the sight of Kai running towards him with a bag slung over his shoulders. He noticed that the younger wore the same yellow shirt from that fateful day.

“Well, don’t you look happy?”, he chuckled as the younger quickly stopped right next to him.

“Jungeun-noona bought me the plushie I always ing wanted, do you have any idea how much this means to me?”, Kai explained as he helped the other slowly walk down the stairs. He had a giddy smile on his face, one that showed that he was alright.

They were all okay, they were all healing, they were all hopeful that they wouldn’t have to face such an ordeal ever again. Although being a team of superheroes had its benefits, they preferred being a bunch of ordinary undergraduates studying and practising their courses.

As Soobin and Kai went downstairs and walked out of the building, they crossed a block of dormitory buildings; they saw the library being reconstructed and renovated into a larger area, while the damaged edges of the dormitory buildings were being reshaped and repaired, ladders and buckets of paint lying on the ground along with several handy tools.

Soobin stifled a gasp at the sight of a hammer, immediately being reminded of his lost power. Despite the feeling of loss, he didn’t mind it.

“Oh, there!” Kai pointed towards a small crowd, before ushering the older to quicken his pace, so the duo rushed to the location even though Soobin insisted they take it slow.

“About time you two idiots showed up…” Beomgyu muttered as he took a small bite of a piece of chocolate cake, his lips stained with frosting unbeknownst to him. He patted an empty spot next to him, wanting the new arrivals to settle down.

On the grassy field enclosed by the various buildings of the campus, sat a familiar group of students, a few members of the party late to the spot due to the varying class timings. Scattered across were open books and files, loose papers piled over and kept from flying with a few pens and pencils on top of the pages, packets of food and empty boxes being passed around as random conversations broke out within them.

“Hey, sorry I’m late. I had to drop off Yuqi and Soyeon for their date. How stupid of them to go out when we literally just got an assignment last class!”, Haseul complained as she threw her bag to the ground and plopped down. She reached out for a sandwich, busying herself with food.

“Hey, can I say something? This will sound a bit crazy but…” Jisung cleared his throat and pointed at Felix. “Doesn’t Lix look really hot with the bandage around his abdomen? Like a fighter from a movie or a game?”

Changbin groaned and playfully hit the younger on his back, holding back a chortle. “Jisung, what the hell? I’m literally right here. Although… Okay, yeah, Felix is y as .” He then in a deep breath and screamed for an abrupt second – with no reason whatsoever.

“Speaking of injuries, is everyone feeling better?” San was quick to distract the others from Changbin’s strange behaviour. He looked at Yeonjun and Felix with concern, knowing that they were the ones who were severely harmed during the still mysterious apocalypse.

“I’m much better now. I was able to do a few stretches and basic movies in today’s class. Thank you, hyung.” Felix started off, flashing a sweet smile that always melted the others’ hearts.

“Minho-hyung is fine too, but he didn’t show up to any classes today.”, clarified Changbin as he passed a packet of marshmallows around. He pointed at his own neck and added, “He was very sick the other day.”

“The blood? Yeah, he told me he’s fine, don’t worry about that.” Jisung shrugged off the concerned looks. He then turned towards Yeonjun, hoping for him to say something. “What about you?”

“Huh? O-Oh, yeah, I’m good too. Just… I still haven’t resumed my dance classes, but soon enough, so yeah.”

The group didn’t need a psychic to see that Yeonjun was troubled by something; the latter had a worried expression on his face, his lips pulled into a tight line, his eyes diverting here and there every once in a while, his brows furrowed with determination. There was something on his mind, but no one dared to ask, giving him his privacy.

“Any updates on the bridge and the other places?” Taehyun broke the temporary silence, seeing the others stare at Yeonjun with the same curiosity that clouded his own mind. He decided he would have to ask the older about it later, not wanting to load him with questions out of the blue.

“Oh, many updates. There are so many videos and reports online! We’re basically the talk of the town!” Jisu pulled out her phone from her purse and scrolled through, all the while sipping on a drink through a straw.

“A city, Jisu, a city.”

“Talk of the city? Uh, nope, not saying that.”

There were, indeed, several new happenings around the area of damage. The bridge was temporarily halted from being accessed due to its reconstruction and investigation regarding the initial collapse. The numerous blocks of residences and homes were being rebuilt and given back to the original owners, the government taking critical action on supporting the citizens with financial issues upon the loss of items and belongings. The clinic, the hotel, the rows of restaurants and cafes, were all being redesigned and refurbished too. While the parking lot was accessible again rather easily by resurfacing the eroded roads, the streetlights were all tested and assessed for use, new panels being placed back in their positions. The petrol station was brought back to life, the space now bustling with vehicles of all kinds, while the park was temporarily closed to allow the patches of mud to be repaired with fresh grass and trees. The campus was only partly damaged, and the university’s engineers and staff were already working on remodelling the library and the two dormitory buildings that were affected, the interior being cleaned out immediately after the barrier broke down that night, and a moderate space was reserved to commemorate the staff members that they lost. Lastly, the mall was reopened with new glass panels and walls, n

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter