The Hospital

The River
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Beomgyu shivered violently even though he had a thick blanket wrapped around him; he leaned forward and looked at the others, who quivered in their place both from the low temperature of the river and due to shock from what just happened. He then looked at the driver, before turning his head towards the window; he recognised the road – they were going to the hospital.

Amid the deafening silence, except for the muffled engine and their heavy breaths, Beomgyu eagerly checked on the others, and he noticed an awfully deep cut on Soobin’s leg. “Soobin-hyung! Y-Your leg…”

The older looked at him from the other side of the car with lifeless eyes, before leaning forward to look at his leg, raising an eyebrow at the sight – Soobin was far too tormented to even notice the wound on his right leg. “Oh. We’re going to the hospital anyway. It’s fine. W-What about your arm?”

At that, Beomgyu looked down and stuttered with his words as he saw his skin bruised severely, splattered blood covering the entirety of his arm. He flinched as he gently touched his arm. “S-…”

“Boys, I know that it would’ve been better to have used an ambulance, but there were survivors in more critical conditions that needed immediate treatment, so we had to get you into the police car instead. Our first priority was to get you to safety, so we didn’t wait for more ambulances to arrive. I hope you understand.”, the police officer explained as he looked at the backseat through the rear-view mirror.

In a few more minutes, they stopped near the hospital; as the boys got out of the cars with limping limbs and blankets covering their shivering bodies, a group of nurses rushed towards them and helped them inside. They were taken into a large room where several nurses treated their wounds.

“Ah!”, Beomgyu suppressed a scream as the nurse began to pull out a shard of glass from his dermis, his fists clenched at his sides. He shut his eyes as he felt a pang of pain despite the anaesthesia applied. He calmed down slightly when Taehyun stood by his side with a comforting aura.

Soobin watched quietly from afar; he saw the pain in Beomgyu’s face, the concern in Taehyun’s, the distress in Yeonjun’s – and he could only wonder where and how Kai was. He flinched as the room’s door slid open, revealing a concerned nurse with a file in her hand.

“Alright, boys, I’ve contacted Mrs. Choi. She said she will be sending someone here because she is in a meeting of her own. Do I need to call anyone else?”, the lady asked and nodded when the others shook their heads. “Stay here. We will come and check up on you all in a moment. Please do not move around much, especially you, Choi Soobin.” She then walked out of the room with the other nurses, shutting the door soon after.

“Okay, my mom’s coming, or… Well, someone is.”, Yeonjun said in a bitter tone as he stared at the TV hanging on the wall. He tapped his feet on the floor in a rhythm, frustrated about everything. “Okay, while we wait for the news, let’s check our stuff, yeah?”

Taehyun nodded and carried a box towards the centre of the room; he slowly removed the bags, as well as Kai’s beanie. “… Kai should be here… Kai should be here by now!”, he shook in pure rage and sorrow.

“Tae, it’s okay, h-he’ll be here. Or maybe he was taken to another hospital. It’s not like we can communicate with him. Our phones aren’t working anymore because, well, they were in the water for quite some time.”, Beomgyu said as he held Taehyun’s hand, his other arm still as a rock – it still hurt from removing the piece of glass.

“Wait, my phone was in my bag!”, Yeonjun exclaimed as he quickly rummaged through his bag and pulled out his phone. He looked at the others with hope when the screen lit up just fine. He hastily called Kai. “I-It’s ringing!”

Half a minute passed, and there was no answer.

“He’s not picking up… But… Well, if it’s ringing, it means his phone is working and that means he must be out of the water, fine and alive!”, Yeonjun spoke too quickly with too much hope. “Tae, you and I both know that Kai can swim. He can swim and-”

“He can’t swim if a huge piece of cement falls on him, o-or if he drowns. He could be ing dead right now!”, Taehyun yelled with tears at the brim of his eyes.

“Stop it!”

Taehyun looked at Beomgyu with surprise; the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter