The Bridge

The River
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was the first day of the week, and the boys were meeting up at a cafe, none of them having any class to attend at that hour. It was a small, cosy cafe located a few blocks away from Kyunghee University.

“Oh, is anyone going to change rooms for next year? I overheard a bunch of students already discussing stuff with the dormitory RAs.”, Beomgyu started off as he threw himself onto the beanbag by the corner, feeling his body sink in.

“Nope, not me! Plus, I’m graduating!”

“Oh, shut the up, you flamboyant little bastard!” Taehyun punched Yeonjun’s shoulder as he gritted his teeth. “We get it, hyung, you’re rich enough to stay out of the small rooms we have to stay in.”

Yeonjun laughed out loud, wiggling his eyebrows as he suddenly stood in an awkward pose, trying to mimic that of a supermodel’s. “I’m fancy.”, he whispered in the most annoying tone possible, eliciting a giggle from the youngest but it was unclear what Kai was laughing at.

“Get your head out of your phone and maybe your grades will improve. Oh my God, can you please stop playing that game?”, Yeonjun dropped his pose and settled himself onto the seat.

Kai didn’t bother responding for a moment, continuing to tap away at an aggressive speed. He blurted out: “This stupid mission is impossible!”

“Then stop playing the damn game, idiot!”, Soobin complained with wide eyes, before gasping exaggeratedly. He giggled softly at the surprised look on the others’ faces; everyone knew that Soobin had a soft spot for the youngest, so his sudden remark was shocking to say the least.

He coughed to break the obvious train of thought, before he dramatically put on a neutral expression, waving his hands around unnecessarily. “The usual?” Seeing the others nod, he jumped to his feet and walked towards the counter to order some drinks for the group.

“Guys, have you noticed anything strange with Soobin since yesterday night? I… I don’t know what it is, but he just seems like… Hmm… Not pissed or upset, but like…”, Yeonjun asked once Soobin was out of the radius, but trailed off with doubt.

“Like a few of his light bulbs dimmed out?”, Taehyun asked as he let out a sigh, tired after a long day of classes, and he still had one more to go.

“Yes! E-Exactly! So you did notice? But you didn’t say anything? Do you think he’s waiting for us to ask?”, Yeonjun asked with concern; they were best friends after all.

Beomgyu straightened himself despite being on the beanbag, leaning forward and explaining himself: “Well… Hyung’s a responsible person. And we did ask him last night, but he refused to say anything. So… Well, I think if he wants us to know, then he’ll tell us.”

“I don’t know… I mean, I’m his best friend, and he tells me every single thing. Literally everything. I’m kind of worried that I did something wrong, and that’s why he isn’t saying anything, but I can’t really recall doing anything wrong. Am I being dumb?”

“Probably.”, Kai interrupted albeit his eyes lingering on his phone, giggling at Yeonjun’s priceless reaction. “Anyways, now look at this slime. This one looks ugly, like I wanna beat it up. Right, Tae?”

“I don’t know, Kai. It still looks pretty cute to me.”, Taehyun said as he leaned closer and peeked at the brightly lit screen of colours and shapes. “Gyu, you wanna play this game later?”

Beomgyu raised an eyebrow and tilted his head. “You want to play Genshin Impact? After complaining that Kai plays it?” There was a moment’s pause, and he took that as a chance to stare at the other. “You know what? Yeah, baby! Let’s play it! Oh, do you think we can do better than Kai?”

“I’m at a very high rank, so good luck, peasants.”

“Peasants?” Soobin was back at the table with four drinks in a cup tray. “Fair enough, but I doubt that applies to Yeonjun-hyung though.” He sat down and gently placed the tray on the wooden table.

“Hey! I told you all not to mention my family’s wealth! It makes me sound so snobbish. Is that what you guys want, huh? A snobby friend?” Yeonjun faked a pout as he took a sip of his chilled drink.

“You’re still very snobby though.”, Beomgyu flashed a teasing smile, which caused the others to laugh in response.

“Pass me my drink!”, Kai unintentionally yelled as he put out his hand, expecting someone to push his cup towards him, but all he got was a pinch on the palm. “Ouch! Alright, alright!”, he complained as he put away his phone and spread his arms out on the table.

“Oh, I cannot with you anymore. I’m going to whoop your if you try and exaggerate anything one more time, Kai Kamal Huening!”, Taehyun spoke in a certain dialect as he glared at the youngest who pursed his lips and whistled.

“Yeah, man, leave the exaggeration to Yeonjun-hyung!” Beomgyu’s comment only riled up the latter even further, but before Yeonjun could react or strike back, Beomgyu added, “Soobin-hyung, where’s your drink?”

“Huh? Oh, I don’t wanna drink anything right now. Anyways, so is anyone changing dorms or anything?”, Soobin was quick to change the topic, wishing that yesterday’s conversation continued to sit at the back of his mind.

Taehyun leaned back and played with the straw of his cup, humming a familiar tune as he glanced at Beomgyu, before shaking his head in disapproval. “I mean… We don’t need to, right? I’m fine with Gyu and Jeongin as my roommates.”

“Oh, that’s great. Well, Kai and I share our room with Daehwi, and that’s perfect for us. But Daehwi said he’ll transfer to Korea National University of Arts for his final year, so we’ll have an empty room. Hmm, I wonder who our new roommate will be…”, Soobin said as he tried to mute out Kai’s exaggerated slurps.

Finally, Kai stopped slurping his drink and let out a heavy sigh. “Korea National University of Arts? Damn, that’s awesome! I was talking to my dad a few days ago, and I think I might complete my master’s program there. Oh, and I guess the s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter