Narcissus

Aphrodite? Narcissus? Irene.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Due to insistent public demand (of 9 readers? LOL. Thanks btw, I really appreciate all of your comments! 😊), I have decided to write bonus chapters for this! Yay!

Originally, this should just be a one-shot played on an angst genre but as I’ve mentioned in the foreword, it just sort of tumbled itself into a comedy-slash-fluff one. No regrets though, I really had fun writing it.

As for the bonus chapters, I am planning to add two more so it’ll be three-shots. Who knows if I’ll add more? I don’t even know like my fingers have a mind on its own and decides for itself. LOL. I think it’ll depend again if the audience like it. Haha! In that note, please consider the first chapter as an introduction chapter.

Heads-up tho, there’ll be biiiiiit taaaaad of angst in this, just to explain their feelings, emotions and outlook in life based on their current situation. But fret not, I won’t be too angsty about it. I still prefer to incline more into the funny stuff. Hehe. Also, the happenings on this chapter will be paralleled from two different settings happening at the same time, from where Joohyun is and where Seulgi is, like they overlap words and thoughts. I hope you won't get too confused. You'll understand when you read it tho, I hope. LOL XD

So without further ado, here it is! Enjoy! 😊

 

+++

 

“Irene.”

 

“Oh my god stop it Yeri.” Joohyun rubbed her aching temple, her two elbows were supporting her head that was buried in her hands. Her head spinning in an awful merry-go-round of hangover and embarrassment. But surprisingly, not regret. Never regret. With the exemption of that drunken fiasco though. She remembered again. OH. MY. GOD. JOOHYUN.

 

“Oh my god, Seulgi?!” At the same time Joohyun thought those words, Seungwan blurted those identical words in annoyance all the way from the other side of the city, as she followed Seulgi after she let them in inside her apartment with Sooyoung trailing behind her. “We were worried sick about you!” Seungwan exclaimed as she handed the plastic bag containing of food to Sooyoung who walked past her to go directly to the kitchen, while she stood in front of Seulgi who was sitting on her couch as she rubbed her forehead to alleviate its pain. Seungwan’s hands were folded on her waist, anticipating an explanation from Seulgi.

 

“Count me out, I wasn’t that worried.” Sooyoung shrugged which earned a glare from her girlfriend. “I told you she’s fine. You’re a worrywart. She just probably spent some time in a bar as I’ve suggested. hangovers, right?”

 

Seulgi nodded. She’s a lightweight alright. She never even thought that she’d meet someone more lightweight than her.

 

“So, where have you been and who were you with that you didn’t even bother replying to my messages or answering my calls? God, I thought you killed yourself.” Seungwan’s voice was still irritated. Sooyoung mouthed “overacting” as she shook her head.

 

Seulgi’s previous thought and Seungwan’s question earned more throbbing on her head. And of memories of puke, of rose and citrus scent, of throaty laugh and teasing grins, of a person—of Joohyun. “I went to an eat-all-you-can samgyupsal restaurant, not a bar
” She paused. “
with Joohyun.” Or Irene, the Goddess of Peace.

 

“Goddess of Peace?? Really, unnie?” Yeri snorted as she watched the older girl suffer from her own demise. She guffawed, tilting her head back in the process.

 

Joohyun glared at her then sighed a deep frustrated breath. She dropped her head back on her two hands. Of all people really, the gods decided to pick Yeri to be one of the witnesses to her embarrassing moment. She couldn’t say she was too happy as well about who the other witness is. God knows how she just wanted to impress the latter but you just can’t have everything, can you?

 

“So that’s what it’s all about, huh??” Yeri leaned forward on the table, sitting across the suffering raven girl, a smirk drawn on her face.

 

Joohyun braced herself for whatever’s coming. She knew Yeri would to no end once she knew. That’s why she didn’t tell. That’s why she wouldn’t tell even if the younger girl bombarded her with curious questions whenever she caught her gawking at Seulgi. God, those months after Yeri was hired after her were hell. It was six months later after she was first admitted in the company. She even regretted referring Yeri to the company. Good thing she was good at controlling her expressions so the naïve girl got it all wrong.

 

“I thought you hated her guts.” Yeri.

 

“I thought she hated your guts.” Sooyoung.

 

Joohyun and Seulgi both weakly chuckled separately. “Well, no.”

 

It was just what I wanted you to believe. God Yeri, how easy it is to lead you on, Joohyun thought, adding more burn in her head that she have to grab the glass of water placed beside her by the smirking devil in front of her, then drank it in three gulps.

 

“Apparently, not.” Seulgi stood up, walking past Seungwan who still had her eyes widened, in contrast to Sooyoung’s that were squinting in suspicion, to get a glass of water. It took three gulps for her to finish it.

 

Yeri scoffed at the realization. “Oh my god unnie! All those deadly stares that seems to shout ‘ you Seulgi’ was, well, really a ‘ you Seulgi’?! Like not a curse but a literal ?! Oh my god unnie! You were eye-ing Seulgi-sunbae!”

 

“YAH!” Joohyun stood up angrily to grab her dongsaeng to smack the hell out of her but Yeri was as fast as an animal opposite of a turtle, whatever that animal is because her head wasn’t in the right condition to process anything else but her embarrassment.

 

Yeri merrily laughed after dodging her unnie’s evil claws. “I was sure that you’re gay but you haven’t really taken any interest in anyone so I didn’t know how you were when whipped. Turns out, you become a goddess, huh? A ing ert goddess.” Her eyebrows were moving up and down to taunt her unnie further.

 

Joohyun sat back and turned around, to find something to throw, but to no avail. She thought of the glass but decided not to since it’s too dangerous. And she’ll probably be the one to clean that up in the end so
 She groaned in annoyance. “Kim Yerim, stop.”

 

“No unnie, tell me. What’s with the Irene the goddess of peace about?” Yeri took her seat again in front of Joohyun. “I know how you blabber about being Aphrodite when you’re really just Narcissus, but Irene? Well this is new. I mean everything is new. You, drunk, Seulgi-sunbae, puke? Wow really new.”

 

Joohyun dropped her head on the table, she wanted to hear no more teasing. Not when her head is literally cracking. But she knows Yeri won’t stop. The girl would even gladly crack her skull open for her to have the answers she’s asking. So she finally decided to spill the beans, deciding it’s better that than her brain being spilled out and then finding out that all in there was really, just Seulgi. “Seulgi kind of, given me that name.” She answered in utter embarrassment.

 

Yeri laughed, slapping the table at the same time. “Oh my god, I don’t know how that happened but that’s why you just, like, what, embraced that name and took it as your own? Like you keep on blabbering that ‘I’m Irene, the Goddess of Peace’ as if introducing yourself again and again. God, unnie. Your parents will be mad at you for this. You’re Bae Joohyun for god’s sake, just Bae Joohyun!”

 

“Bae Joohyun? Like, Bae Joohyun from the sales team? The one who you were helping with the bid docs? That Bae Joohyun? The whole company’s crush Bae Joohyun?” Seungwan asked a bit too much to be sure she was hearing right. She was leaning her shoulders on the counter’s wall in the kitchen, with Sooyoung still removing the contents of the plastic bag they brought that seems to not end, with Seulgi nodding to Seungwan's question before walking back to the couch to rest.

 

“So it’s really ‘whole company’ now, huh? Thought you weren’t one of them, Seulgi. But seeing that you went out with her means that you really were, huh? Held back by Sunmi, eh? You loyal , you should’ve just entertained your hidden crush on her back then. Maybe then you’d be the one to dump her for someone instead. That cheater of a .” Sooyoung said, finally finishing putting out the fruits and ramyun and vegetables and other food she wasn’t able to note from inside the plastic bag with contempt.

 

“Hey, don’t stoop our Seulgi down to that ’s level.” Seungwan scoffed.

 

“I’m just saying, it to be cheated on. Just look at her.” Sooyoung shrugged then pointed at Seulgi.

 

Seulgi’s brows furrowed at the mention of the name she spites now and the word ‘crush’. She dropped herself unto the couch, thinking how that was Joohyun’s suggestion too, to entertain her from the very start and how Sooyoung can quickly grasp onto things like her hidden small crush on her. So unlike Seungwan.

 

“Wait, I don’t follow.” Seungwan said, nodding to the refrigerator while looking at Sooyoung. Sooyoung who’s always quick to follow, got the message and went to it to get and prepare some ice, while she proceeded to the counter to prepare whatever it was she was planning to make for the hungover girl. “Care to explain? In details please.”

 

Seulgi groaned, hesitating. How can she summarize all those when she herself is having a hard time to accept the facts that was laid out for her in a drunken stupor? Well, they do say that drunk people spoke the truth more, so she got to believe it, right? She rolled over so she was now lying on her back, she put an arm over her eyes to cover the intimidating light of her living room’s. Her head still aching. “I
 I just kinda
 invited to eat her out—oh my god, no! I mean I invited her out to eat. God my head hurts!” Seulgi smacked her head at what she said, resulting in another wave of pain in her head.

 

Sooyoung laughed out loud while Seungwan facepalmed herself.

 

“That came out wrong, god.” Seulgi cursed as she sat properly on the couch, ready to tell what happened last night, properly. She should just really concentrate on telling what happened instead of the actual girl in question. Gods, thoughts of her messes her up. She coughed before starting again. “I just invited Joohyun out to eat, you know.” She shrugged. “Cause I noticed that she was always there when I did overtime, doing overtime herself. Started a little after Sunmi broke up with me.”

 

“Yeah, thought it was weird too. Sales team rarely do overtimes. Thought she was an extra diligent girl, she’s not even a newbie anymore to commit to that. Heck, newbies don’t even do that.” Sooyoung added, placing ice cubes on a bowl. Seungwan nodded, prompting her to continue as she peels some apples.

 

“Right. So remember when you were inviting me out and I really don’t want to?” Seulgi continued as she recalled of their first night—she internally smacked herself again. Why does she keep thinking this way?!

 

“Yeah. You’re so stubborn. You know you’re and you wanted to bury yourself inside your cubicle! How can you forget if you don’t distract yourself with other things?” Seungwan was scolding again.

 

“Chill babe, I believe I already told you to let Seulgi off the hook sometimes. She needed time.” Sooyoung to the rescue.

 

Seulgi smiled at Sooyoung’s way, acknowledging what she said. “Well, it’s not only Sooyoung who noticed that. Apparently, Joohyun also did. That helping her with the bidding docs? Lie. She just said that so you’d let me go.” She shrugged, a bit too proudly? As if to say that Joohyun is so cool right?

 

The duo’s mouth formed the letter O with eyes squinting in both confusion and realization. It prompted Seulgi to continue.

 

“So, you know how ty I was then, right? I wanted to work, I wanted to keep myself busy so I don’t have to think about Sunmi and her cheating. Your mall invites didn’t really help you know. All I see there were shadows of us. You know how we had most of our dates on that cursed mall and yet you invite me there, of all places. You sure you’re really my friends?” Seulgi asked in accusation and in disbelief that her so-called friends didn’t think of that.

 

Seungwan rolled her eyes with a pout as if whistling, while Sooyoung forced a straight smile of ‘ooops, sorry, didn’t really think of that at all’.

 

Seulgi sighed and continued. “And the only place I can really do that is in the office. This apartment’s no good too, you know, especially when I’m alone. So my cubicle was my only safe haven then. Being alone with my thoughts was scary too, but it’s better to be in the office alone, instead of anywhere else. Except that I wasn’t really alone. Every night, Joohyun was there. We really didn’t talk, though. I mean, I thought she was busy with work too. But just knowing that she was there, quietly sharing her dinner with me, made it less ty as it is. It somehow made it
 peaceful.” She knew she blushed at the last word. Peace. Irene.

 

“Irene,” Yeri called in mock again when Joohyun just rolled her eyes as a response to what she said. “How did that come to be? Come on, I’m curious.” She was begging.

 

Joohyun lifted her head up then rested it on her palms, looking as far away from Yeri’s eyes as possible. She sighed before starting. “She just told me that I was like Aphrodite, goddess of beauty and love. But she thought that I suit Irene more, the goddess of peace.” And of wreckage, havoc, war and end of the world but Yeri didn’t have to know that. She knows she was blushing when she can feel her cheeks hot under her palm.

 

“Oh my god, fed your ego full tank, eh?” She paused and stared at the rose color slowly tinting the older girl’s cheeks. “Wait, you liked it unnie?!” Yeri gasped exasperatedly. “I thought you didn’t like people putting you up in the pedestal? I figured that was the reason Seulgi-sunbae got you interested in the first place? Right? Cause she didn’t hover on you like everyone else?”

 

“Yah,” Joohyun glared at Yeri with her eyes. “She put me up there differently! Like she enumerated to me these traits that I didn’t even notice that she noticed. For the longest time I thought maybe I really am a goddess, like I don’t really exist, at least in Seulgi’s world.”

 

Yeri scoffed. “You’re Narcissus unnie, you’re definitely Narcissus.” She really wondered why Joohyun hated it when people regarded her so high when she does it herself.

 

Joohyun scoffed back as if to say, I’m Irene now biatch. “Anyways, she regarded not just my beauty,”

 

Yeri raised a brow, really, how cocky can you get?

 

Joohyun raised a brow back. “But also my personalities. She noticed all the things I did, except their intention of course.” She doesn’t even know if Seulgi was observant or oblivious. Maybe a bad mixture of both.

 

“And those things you did were???” Yeri was expectant, excited to hear Joohyun’s escapades.

 

Joohyun sighed. Well, since it’s all out in the open
. “Like how all weird I was when we had that two-day training
”

 

Yeri’s eyes squinted. “By weird you mean?”

 

“Weird,” Seungwan repeated Yeri unknowingly. “I really thought you pissed her off or something. Have you forgotten how she looks at you like saying ‘ you Seulgi’ or something close to that?”

 

“I didn’t really look.” Seulgi shrugged. She really didn’t dare to look when she can feel heavy stares from someone. Knowing it was Joohyun from Seungwan and Sooyoung’s whispers, she didn’t. She really didn’t want to deal with Bae Joohyun in the first place.

 

“Right, cause all you see is Sunmi. You know how you can’t see those who looks at you when you’re looking at someone else, right? Pity.” Sooyoung scoffed.

 

“Are you gonna let me finish?” Seulgi retorted.

 

“Fine, fine.” Sooyoung.

 

“Go ahead continue.” Seungwan.

 

“So where was I?” Seulgi paused. “Right. Those nights became more frequent, as you knew. We just spent those nights together—quit it Sooyoung!" She exclaimed when the girl snorted.

 

Sooyoung continued laughing. “You’re a mess! Why are you constructing your words like that? Eat her out? Spend nights with her? Hidden crush is out of the bag now eh?”

 

Seulgi pointed at her herself, at her head specifically, as if saying, riding a hangover, remember? She watched Seungwan cross her arms and glared at her girlfriend, resulting for Sooyoung to gesture to zip off. Seulgi coughed after composing herself, feeling her head hurt more than a while ago. “So it went like that, with both of us doing overtime quietly, her handing some food silently on my desk. If it wasn’t for her really, I’d have starved myself during those nights. Really I’m just those past nights. Until last night.” She recalled. “I felt she was a bit off the edge, sighing here and there, shuffling papers like they’re cards or something, even forgetting to order dinner. I thought, maybe it’s my time to offer some help, you know? Or ask her to have dinner since she, we, haven’t eaten yet. Or just strike up a conversation. I’ve been contemplating about it for so long but I just didn’t know how. Before I can even woman-up to approach her, I already heard shuffling and brisk footsteps. I stood up and she was already out of our area’s door and was walking out of the hallway. So I grabbed all my things in a haste and run after her.”

 

“I’m just after her, ever since I first saw her.” Joohyun started in admission. “It was curiosity at first, really.”

 

Yeri raised her eyebrow saying, come on unnie, admit it already.

 

“Fine, it was a small crush. I mean can you blame me? Those monolids? Those smiles? The crescents in her eyes? Those slender figure? Those y bony fingers? Those abs—”

 

Yeri held a hand up on Joohyun’s face, stopping her from enumerating further. “Stop unnie, I get it, you’re whipped.” She shook her head when Joohyun rolled her eyes with a pout as if mad that her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter