01 - Dolor

Paint You
1
Dolor
 

 "Are we still up for that agreed dinner?" 

"Of course," a male voice spoke, "I'd never miss dinner with you. You know this." 

She smiled softly. "I am just checking," she said, "I miss you." 

"I miss you too, darling. I must go now." 

 

~*~

 

Byul hung up her phone, smiling. She hadn't told him that she had finished her job for that day. Instead, she had decided to surprise him. She quickly packed her things and headed to her car. On her way towards their home, she bought his favorite brand of white wine and a dessert. They would have a very special night, and she couldn't wait to spend it with him. When she was stocked with things she needed to get, she headed straight home, already imagining scenarios in her head. 

Jiyong liked her little surprises; every time she surprised him at work, he'd have a smile on his face and would start showing her affection immediately. Recently, things had grown dull, due to his hectic schedule. He worked as a doctor and often was away on business trips around the country. Despite having small downs in their relationship, they were still going strong.

They had been together for six years, engaged for one year. She couldn't wait to be his wife. She was over the moon at the sole thought of that. With this happy thought, she parked and got out of her car. 

Whistling happily, she typed the passcode and walked inside, only to spot something different. Jiyoung's shoes were next to her slippers. Her heart started to beat happily with anticipation. She walked into the living room, but she didn't find him. However, something made her stop dead in her tracks. The scent of a woman's perfume was in the air - it wasn't hers. Someone must be visiting him. Was it his mother? She couldn't help but wonder.

She approached closer and the knot in her stomach tightened. A red lacy bra was dropped carelessly on a lamp; his shirt entangled with a black transparent blouse. No. No. The knot in her stomach became so tight; that she felt as though she was suffocating. She closed her eyes, reaching for the sofa to steady herself. Not Jiyoung. He wouldn't do this to me. He wouldn't stomp on six years of our relationship. Her mind was in a state of panic and it felt like the room started to spin.

Loud laughter filled her ears, making her turn around. Her legs threatened to give out. Her whole being froze in place for a moment, before she collected herself and made her legs move forward in shaking steps. She slowly walked towards the direction of their bedroom; the door was cracked open slightly. 

A picture that would always stay in her brain greeted her, a twisted picture that would be with her forever even if she made the choice to stay with him, the picture she'd always remember -  imprinted into her mind and a constant reminder to her that in this world, there is no perfection. Every man wants one thing - , a tool to toy with and leave. Anne Boleyn did say once He gets bored too easily and then gets another and another. 

Jiyong fit that description quite well. She walked into the room and closed her eyes. The woman whom Jiyoung ed was her best friend -  Lee Sekyung. Namjoo told her, Sekyung was not a good person, she told her this many times but Byul didn't want to believe. She thought Sekyung would never dare to do such a thing. 

She said Jiyoung wasn't her ideal type of a man, that he was not what she wanted in a man. But she had been lied to. Two persons, whom she had trusted. Namjoo was right all along. The Childhood friend knows best. 

Jiyoung's face filled with surprise and shock shimmered before her eyes, he ushered Sekyung out. "Byulie..." 

Byul moved away when he tried to move forward. No. She won't do repeats. She thought, she marched towards their closet and started throwing his stuff out, he tried stopping her but she pulled her hand away. "Don't you dare touch me! We are done!" She said, taking her ring off, and throwing it at him. 

She grabbed all his expensive clothes and threw them outside through the window. "Byul! What the hell did you just d--" 

"Out. You've got three seconds. "

"Please, Byul...It's not what it looks like!" 

She laughed. "Do you think I'm blind?" She grits out. "Oh, trust me, I know what it looks like! Out!

"Byul...Please...Hear me--" 

"Out." 

After what seemed like an eternity, he finally took the hint and left. When they left together, she totally broke before she cried her little black soul out in the dim silence of the place where the memories that were once so wonderful, were now swallowing her whole. She can't stay here. She hurried out of the room, grabbing her purse on the way, and, unable to see through her tears, ended up roughly knocking into someone. 

"Look where you're ing going! Are you crazy?!" 

The rudeness of this man was angering her. Who the hell did he think he was? "Crazy? I'll show you what's crazy, you rude bastard!" She pushed his chest. 

"Rude bastard-- God...She really has courage...Is that how your mom taught you, to behave, huh?" 

She rolled her eyes. She can't do this. She is tired. She hates men. She ing hates them. Not wanting to argue, she got in her car and started it, while he was still talking after her, she pressed hard on the gas pedal and moved forward at a rapid speed causing the male that had still been yelling after her to hurry out of her path rapidly. She smirked. 

 

I won't take any from anyone. Certainly not from a rude bastard like you. 

 

 

~*~

 

 

For the time being, she was with Namjoo, staying at her house trying to heal her heart. It had been five hours since she left home. While she was sleeping, Namjoo brought Byul's stuff from her home she had once shared with Jiyoung. Byul didn't want to waste any more time; she wanted to leave that part of her life far behind her. Her thoughts about love; love can solve anything, love is the answer - it all was erased in one day. Love doesn't exist. It is nothing. Love is not the answer for everything, there's no happy ending. 

There's no prince charming who'd take you on his white horse. Love is suffocation. Love is blind. And it only makes you vulnerable. She closed her eyes. Her parents were right. Love is not everything in life. Love doesn't exist in our world. Maybe, she should listen to them and just marry someone to keep up family connections and appearances, truly fill her duty as was supposedly expected of her. She sighed closing her eyes. Maybe this would never happen to her. 

"Are you okay, Byul?" Namjoo's gentle voice filled her ears. 

"I'm dead." 

"Don't talk like that, please," Namjoo whispered hugging her, "You'll be okay, I promise."

"I'll be okay when I disappear from this world. I don't want this. I hate myself for being so naive." 

Words. Hurtful words poured out from her,  when she pulled away Namjoo had tears in her eyes. Byul couldn't cry. The rivers and oceans she had already cried out had gone dry. She had no tears to spare. Silent tears inside only remained. She will be okay. She will do her duty. She knew her parents would be much happier if she just fulfilled their wishes. No time to waste. Let's finish with this. 

She took her phone and called her mother. Namjoo looked at her carefully. 

"Byul, sweetheart. What's the occasion?" 

She pursed her lips. "I'll do it," she gritted out.

"You'll do what?"

"I'll complete my duty towards our family, I'll marry whom you want me to marry and I won't let you down," she says, "I'm sorry I was disobedient." 

"You've broken up with him?"  She didn't say anything. A scoff broke the momentary silence. "He hurt you didn't he?" 

"Set an extra place for dinner, and I'll come." She said, avoiding the answer to the question her mother had asked. 

"Of course, your father is making preparations as we speak. Our house, it's best if we discuss matters in the privacy of our home," her mother said in a cheerful tone. 

Byul said nothing except; "I'll come tonight."

 

Her life is ruined. Tarnished. There's nothing she could lose.   

 
AUTHOR'S NOTE:

  "An endless mystery, a foggy memory

Why are my hunches so inaccurate?

The sound of the rain mixed with tears, the sound of your breath in my ears

I couldn't even find you once" -  EXO, Hurt