Final

Private Lessons

A drop of sweat slided down Shuhua's face.

 

She had recently joined a dance class and it was exhausting. 

 

At first, she had been dragged by her friend Yuqi who had always loved to dance. Shuhua had only accepted to follow her because she hoped it would help her lose some weight before summer. 

 

Shuhua had thought that Yuqi would have the decency to take her to a beginner class but she was wrong. The Chinese took her to her regular class and when Shuhua protested about its level, saying that she'll never be able to keep up, Yuqi argued that it was okay because they were there to have fun. Shuhua didn't know how ridiculing herself in front of strangers was the definition of having fun, but since she was already there, she had decided to stay even if she was sure that she would end up only watching in a corner.

 

As expected, it had been hard, Shuhua discovering ways to move her body that she hadn't suspected possible. She could already feel the muscle soreness that would be waiting for her on the next day. 

 

Yet, she hadn't gone to sit in a corner like she had previously planned. On the contrary, she had made sure to do the best of her abilities, although she was clearly lacking, especially compared to the others who had clearly been dancing for years. And when the class had been done Yuqi had complimented Shuhua for her hard work. Shuhua had thanked her but what she didn't tell her friend was the reason why she had given her best. Sure, losing weight was still her goal but there was something else. Or more like, someone else.

 

The dance teacher, whose name was apparently Seo Soojin, was hot. Not just hot like 'pleasingly warm'. Hot in a way that melted Shuhua down. Her moves were sharp yet fluid and there was a certain elegance to it. Shuhua tried not to stare at her body while she danced but she couldn't help it. 

 

Yuqi had been pleased when Shuhua had told her that she would come back.

 

"I told you it would be fun," the Chinese woman had said, oblivious to Shuhua's real motives.

 

That was why Shuhua found herself in a dance studio on a Friday night, sweating and exhausted. That day's choreography was particularly hard and she needed to take a break. She plopped down against the wall where she had let her stuff and grabbed her water bottle before emptying half of it in one go. Yet, she couldn't rest for too long as the teacher noticed her.

 

"Hey, you, no sitting down during my class," she said curtly and Shuhua was quick to get up. "Hang on, we're almost done," she added with a smile.

 

Shuhua went back next to Yuqi and did her best to remember and follow the steps. She could feel Soojin's eyes on her from time to time and it only made her try harder. She wanted to impress her.

 

Well, it would be hard for her to impress someone who was so good to be a dance teacher when they were barely 23 years old but it didn't hurt to try.

 

"Alright, that's all for today. Thanks everybody," Soojin said before clapping her hands and everyone did the same.

 

Shuhua did as well and went back to the spot where Yuqi and her had discarded their bags. She barely had the time to take her towel and start wiping the sweat out of her face that Soojin was approaching them and she panicked because Soojin was going to see her up close when she was sweaty and her hair was a mess. (Note that Shuhua shouldn't stress it out because Soojin was obviously in the same state but it didn't come to Shuhua's mind.)

 

"Good job, you two," the dance teacher said. Then, her eyes completely focused on Shuhua. "I know my classes are hard but I can see you're improving so don't give up." She waved her hand. "See you girls next time."

 

The teacher walked away, leaving a baffled Shuhua. Had Soojin just complimented her?

 

"You're all red," Yuqi said and Shuhua got out of her reverie.

 

"What?" Shuhua blinked at her.

 

"You're blushing... Wait, do you like Soojin?!" Yuqi half shouted and Shuhua was glad that most people had left already. 

 

"Don't be so loud!"

 

"Oh, sorry," Yuqi said in a low voice. "Still, do you?"

 

Shuhua looked away, blushing even more.

 

"So that's why you keep coming here," Yuqi smirked. "Well, I understand, her body is on fire."

 

Shuhua grimaced as she put her towel in her bag. "What would Soyeon think if she heard you say that?"

 

"She would think I'm right." Yuqi said proudly.

 

"Y'all and your weird relationship."

 

"You and your inexistent love life."

 

Shuhua glared at her friend for stating the truth. She had not dated anyone since her breakup with Tzuyu four months ago.

 

"I'm not ready to date again," she said.

 

"By the way Soojin made you blush, I think you are."

 

Shuhua didn't know what to say.

 

_

 

It was the next Friday and Yuqi was nowhere to be seen when Shuhua arrived in front of the dance studio. Usually they would meet in front of it but after waiting for ten minutes, her phone buzzed into her sweatpants' pocket.

 

Thank me later.

 

Shuhua frowned. 

 

What do you mean?

 

Nothing. I'm not coming today btw

 

Shuhua rolled her eyes and put her phone into the front pocket of her backpack. Of course Yuqi hadn't thought of letting her know before so that she wouldn't wait for her like an idiot. She came into the dance studio, feeling a bit inadequate without her friend's presence.

 

She spotted Soojin talking with one of the students and as if she sensed her gaze, Soojin looked back at her before excusing herself to the student and making her way towards Shuhua.

 

"Hi, Shuhua. Is tomorrow at 2 p.m. okay for you?"

 

Shuhua's mind froze. What was she talking about?

 

Soojin went on as she noticed the other's confusion. "Yuqi told me you wanted private lessons..?"

 

That little scumbag, Shuhua thought.

 

She opened to clear the misunderstanding but then she changed her mind. It wouldn't hurt her to take private lessons, especially from someone as talented as Soojin, right? She didn't want to have them just because it meant she would spend 'it's me and you now' time with her. It absolutely never crossed her mind.

 

"Yeah, right, I had forgotten," she blurted out.

 

"I usually don't give one on one lessons, but your friend insisted...a lot," Soojin said and Shuhua winced. She knew how stubborn and annoying her friend could be.

 

"Sorry about that…"

 

"It's okay. So I'll meet you tomorrow at 2 p.m.?," Soojin asked.

 

Shuhua agreed and Soojin went to the front of the room to put on the music that they would use that day.

 

_

 

Shuhua was nervous. She knew she shouldn't be. It was just a dance lesson for God's sake.

 

That was what she repeated to herself as she waited in front of the dance studio. She had come early and there still was about 15 minutes before 2 p.m. Yet, as she was playing with her phone, someone called her name.

 

"Shuhua? Why are you already there? Soojin asked.

 

Shuhua hastily shoved her phone in her pocket. "I- I didn't want to be late." She mentally winced at her stutter.

 

"Good. I like punctual people," Soojin said with a smile before she retrieved keys from her bag and opened the dance studio's front door. 

 

They both came in and went to the usual room. They got rid of their bags and coats and started to stretch.

 

"I think we're good," Soojin said when they had warmed up all their members. "Like always I'll show you first then we'll review each move together, alright?"

 

Shuhua nodded.

 

Soojin looked for a song, her thin fingers going through a playlist on her phone, and when she pressed the screen music started to play through the room's speakers.

 

Soojin started to dance and Shuhua held her breath. Seeing the Korean dance always had that effect on her. She could look at her for hours and not get bored. When Soojin was dancing, she became one with the music. She wasn't only executing moves, her expressions also matched the mood of her performance. She was a true artist. (And Yuqi was right, her body was on fire.)

 

Soojin's movements halted after a moment and Shuhua had to refrain herself from clapping her hands like the fangirl she was.

 

"That was amazing," she still said.

 

"Thank you."

 

The other thing that amazed Shuhua was how humble Soojin was. She was probably praised everyday for her dance, yet she still received every compliment with a humble smile.

 

"Shall we start?" Soojin asked and Shuhua nodded.

 

Soojin taught Shuhua the moves, explaining each of them slowly. It was like in the group class. The only difference was that Soojin's attention was only on Shuhua and that she would sometimes slightly touch her arms or hips to help her get into the right posture. 

 

Shuhua was constantly reminding herself to stay calm but her body wasn't listening. Every time Soojin got closer, her heart beat faster. Every time Soojin touched her, she could swear her skin burned. And it made it all more difficult to concentrate on the steps.

 

Shuhua tried to do as told but somehow she was still doing one of the moves completely wrong. 

 

Soojin sighed. "That's why I didn't want to give you private lessons."

 

That was it. She was going to say that Shuhua was hopeless and that she should give up dancing.

 

"You make it so hard to stay professional," Soojin said instead. Just as Shuhua was about to ask what she meant, Soojin pinched her cheeks. "You're just so cute, it's hurting me."

 

Shuhua's cheeks were red when Soojin let go and it wasn't because of the assault that they had just suffered.

 

"You... think I'm cute?" Shuhua asked.

 

Soojin laughed as if Shuhua's question was stupid. "Of course. I mean, have you ever looked at yourself in the mirror? Also I love your determination and how you always try your best. Gosh, I never meant to have a crush on one of my students."

 

"One of your students?"

 

Soojin laughed once again and her eyes were warm when she said, "You, Shuhua."

 

Oh, Shuhua thought.

 

"Oh," she said.

 

"Do you think it's weird?" Soojin asked.

 

"No!" Shuhua half shouted before engaging in a tirade. "It's just a dance class. I mean, it's not like you were my university teacher and would give me grades. Also we're about the same age- I mean, I'm not saying it would be wrong but- What I mean is I like you too." 

 

She decided to stop before embarrassing herself even more but Soojin only seemed to care about the last sentence.

 

"Really?" she asked with a hopeful smile and Shuhua was surprised that Soojin could ever doubt herself, just like Soojin had thought Shuhua asking if she was cute was silly.

 

"I mean," she said with a knowing smile, "have you ever looked at yourself in the mirror?"