final

Of Coffee And Caramel
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Joohyun has never felt so tired in her life. 

 

Work is usually busy but this month, particularly, has pushed her further than ever. The woman is currently spending her Saturday night with her head down in her laptop – dark hair pushed into a messy bun, wearing her favourite pink bunny pyjama set, as she types furiously with furrowed brows. She feels a yawn reach her and her hand lifts to cover , eyes feeling droopier by the second.

 

She checks the clock above her head.

 

Almost midnight.

 

She yawns once more, unable to hold it in as she feels the tiredness hit her again. With a stretch of her arms, the black-haired woman groans a little, sighing at the slight release of tension in her body.

 

She stares blankly at the screen for a moment. It’s going to be an awfully long night, Joohyun thinks. 

 

(And, she is definitely going to ask for vacation break after this.)

 

Just as she’s about to begin typing again, her phone buzzes by her side.

 

It’s a text message from Chorong, her colleague and best friend.

 

I hate this so much.

 

Joohyun bites back a laugh.

 

I know. I feel close to knocking out :(

 

The vibration from her phone tickles a little in her hand.

 

Same… ugh I need a good nap after this.

 

She’s already typing out a text back, but Chorong is a few seconds faster.

 

But right now I’m in need of some caffeine, so meet me outside in a few.

 

The woman frowns a little. She gazes outside her window, eyeing the white rooftops and falling specks, and there's chills already forming down her spine. There is no way she’s stepping outside. It’s cold and snowy and not at all warm like her cozy living room – and especially not when she has a deadline to meet. But, of course, she should’ve known that Chorong could read her mind, after so many years of working with each other, because another one of her friend’s texts comes immediately after.

 

I’m not taking no for an answer, Joohyun!

 

•••

 

The black-haired woman doesn’t know what she’s doing here.

 

It’s now past midnight and she’s following Chorong into a worn down café, just five minutes away from her apartment, teeth chattering and body shivering after closing the door behind her. She’s immediately welcomed by the café’s warm lighting that dimly brightens the room and an interior that reminds Joohyun of small cottages, just like the ones in the fairytales; timber and wooden decors paired along with the greens of plants all around. It’s surprisingly busy for this time – people seated here and there, some talking to others with a drink in hand, while others have books to read.

 

The two women immediately find a table to sit, unwinding their scarves and sighing.

 

“I can’t believe I let you drag me out so late. This is so irresponsible of us, Chorong. I shouldn’t have agreed to come.” Joohyun says, and it comes out like a whine while she’s brushing snow off her friend’s eyelashes.

 

“Oh, come on,” Chorong laughs. “It’s better than being cooped up in that apartment of yours, we both know that.” She’s returning the favour and tidying up Joohyun’s dishevelled hair after taking off her beanie. “Besides… knowing you, you’ve probably been torturing yourself for the past few days, so let me treat you for a drink.”

 

The corner of Joohyun’s lips lift up in a small smile, arms wrapping around herself as she huffs, “Yeah, yeah, whatever—“

 

“Welcome to Changing Seasons! Are you two ladies ready to place your order?”

 

There’s a woman in front of them with platinum short hair, messy bangs, sporting a beige apron and notepad in hand. She’s spoken directly to Joohyun, and it’s like the air in her lungs has suddenly been out. The only thing the black-haired woman has managed to register is how beautiful this person is; she can see that the woman is wearing minimal makeup but her skin is ridiculously fair, round eyes forming arches and cheeks rising high when she gives

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter