2.0 Always in My Heart

To the Dangling Shoes and All the Birds that Pass Them
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She does wonder sometimes, where they went wrong.

Standing in front of the shorter girl, Seulgi doesn’t feel that hatred, the expected bitterness that comes with breakups. The air is ridiculously cold around them and they’re standing solemnly as if they’re the main characters of a cliche scene from a music video, but there’s no hostility, no resentment. Only a heartbreakingly anguished grievance that she couldn’t be better for someone who deserved the world.

“Thanks.”

It’s that one word that breaks Joohyun out of her dazed state. She lifts her eyes to the younger girl, who smiles genuinely at her. That was once her favourite smile, Seulgi’s wide grin. She’d open her eyes to butterfly kisses on her face and see the crescent half moons gazing at her with pure adoration. They’d cuddle for a while on the bed, two beings basking in each other’s warmth for just a small moment in an infinite timelines, and Joohyun would peck Seulgi’s nose before heading out to make breakfast. She guesses, no, she knows that she loved Seulgi and that Seulgi loved her.

“After this, what happens?”

Seulgi looks up at the sky, pitch black and starless, lit only by the dim streetlight they’re standing under. Joohyun’s always been her light. A struggling artist, Seulgi knew that there was a lot of pressure on Joohyun to keep them alive, alive so that they could find each other at the end of the day. Day after day, Seulgi would come home without a cent in her pocket to alleviate Joohyun’s burden, but without fail, Joohyun would wait at home with open arms. Joohyun had the warmest embrace that Seulgi knew, and it was the only embrace she wished to know for the rest of her life. To stay with someone at their lowest: Seulgi knew that was love. And somehow she could never be a pillar for this amazing woman who loved her without condition.

“Seulgi,” Joohyun calls out.

Seulgi closes her eyes. There’s something burning behind her eyelids, but she breathes shakily to hold them in.

“Seulgi.”

Joohyun hates seeing Seulgi like this. She knows it came to this, but she truly does hope Seulgi will be happy. After a long, grueling day at the office, it was Seulgi who would bring a smile to her face with her silly antics and charming words. She remembers how a clumsily wrapped bouque

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter