Coming home *present*

The Ice Prince and the real one

Jeno POV

 

"Please buckle up, get your seat upright, close your table, and close all electronic devices. In a few minutes we are about to land in Seoul. The weather is dry and sunny. The outside temperature is minus 5 degrees. We hope you had a pleasant flight with Korean Air and that you will visit us again."

I stretched extensively before turning to the window and looking out. My home country was getting closer and closer and the excitement in me increased considerably. For three years I had never stayed in Seoul for more than two weeks and this short visit shouldn't be longer this time either, after all, I was still in my studies. My studies had always been the perfect excuse not to come back for longer, but this time I had no other choice. It was my duty to be present and my father insisted on my presence.

The Winter Olympics was coming up and we had to be there as a family. Present our country. That's what we did. I didn't have to do anything but sit and smile. And hundreds of cameras would film me. For 10 years I had managed to hide from the press and my family had supported me in my wish and did everything that my identity was covered. So, there was the last official photo of me as an 11-year-old and the last unofficial one at 15. It was only when I switched to a private school in Shanghai at 15 that I was really able to go into hiding.

Thanks to my very good academic performance, I made it to a Canadian university when I was 18. I was younger than many of my classmates I graduated with, so I was also the youngest in Vancouver at university. When I was only 18 years old, I started a whole new life in a completely foreign country. I wasn't fluent in their language, but I was eager to learn, and I was a quick learner. I started a new life just as Jeno Lee. A life in which it didn't matter where I came from or what social status I had. I started a life not being Lee Jeno, the second son and youngest child of the reigning King of South Korea. In Vancouver I was just one of many students who had only one real friend and many casual acquaintances. Although nobody there knew who I was, I was always careful not to reveal my identity. I only met my brother, the heir to the throne, in secret when he was visiting. I hadn't entered into relationships either. Except for one time ... when my heart got broken.

It happened so quickly. When I looked back, I could tell that it was love at first sight, even if I hadn't noticed it that way at the moment. How could I have known if I had never felt anything like this before? What if I had never been in love before? I had never felt so attracted to anyone as I was to him. We had five months together. Only five months. I was only able to officially call him mine for three months before he disappeared from the face of the earth. He just wanted to fly home to his family for a short time to clarify something and then come back to me. The last sign of life I got from him was a message that he had landed and that he would be in touch with me later. To this day I didn't know what had happened and this lack of knowledge had driven me insane for a very long time and harmed my trust in others.

 

The snow-covered earth came closer and closer and a little later I felt the plane touch down. We were jolted a bit as the plane raced down the landing strip before the brakes took hold and the plane slowed down.

I leaned back and let out a shaky breath that I hadn't even consciously been holding. So, I was back, and like all the other times, I wondered if he was still somewhere here in Seoul. And if I could run into him here. But how big could this probability be with a population of over 9 million? And how would he react if he found out that I belonged to the royal family? I had never lied to him, but I had completely concealed my true identity. I had always known that he was hiding something from me too, but nothing could be as powerful as my secret that I had been keeping for three years.

The First Class became lively, and the first passengers got up from their seats to collect their hand luggage. I waited a little before getting up and getting my travel bag from the compartment above me. I always travelled to Seoul with hand luggage because I had enough clothes in my home. That way I always saved myself the hustle and bustle of baggage claim. I would certainly have gotten someone to do this for me, but I didn't want any special treatment. Therefore, while the rest of the passengers all went to baggage claim, I was able to go straight to passport control.

As always when my passport was checked, I saw panic in their eyes when they realized who was standing in front of them. Immediately they bowed so low that I always feared that they would tip over and kiss the floor. I didn't blame them for not recognizing me right away. I was just too good at hiding. In the past six years I had changed too. I wasn't the little 15-year-old Jeno anymore.

"Please don't bow," I hissed at them. "I'm traveling incognito."

“Of course, Your Majesty. We're sorry, Your Majesty.” They handed my passport back to me and I hurried out of there. The last thing I needed in the last few meters was to get noticed.

Immediately after passport control, I was received with a special permit. A tall young man whom I had never seen before bowed politely to me. He was wearing a fancy black suit that made me look shabby in my black, worn jeans and hoodie.

“Your Majesty, I hope you had a pleasant flight. My name is Suh Youngho and I am responsible for your safety during your stay. Can I carry your bag?"

"Jeno."

"Huh?"

“Call me Jeno. I do not want to be addressed with Your Majesty, Highness or anything else. Just Jeno. And I can carry my bag alone. It's not heavy anyway."

A grin formed on Younghos face. “Okay, then I'm just Johnny. I feel more comfortable with my American name."

"Oh, American?" I asked him in English, and he nodded, relieved that I was speaking in his mother tongue.

"Born and raised in Chicago."

"And how comes that you are in Seoul now?" I asked curiously and let him lead me to the black limousine outside the airport building.

"I just wanted a change of scenery and find my roots," he shrugged and opened the car door for me.

I carelessly tossed my bag inside and also slumped clumsily on the back seat. Johnny closed the door behind me and walked around to get into the driver's side. "Where am I actually being taken?"

“Your brother arranged for you to live with him, Sir. He's pretty persistent," Johnny smiled gently. “But he has a very good heart. He's sure to be a great king one day."

"Jeno. Just Jeno. No honorifics please. I am younger, Hyung. And yes, Doyie-Hyung is made for it."

“Okay Jeno, but in front of your parents, please let me use honorifics. I don't want to lose my job because I'm supposed to be disrespectful to you,” Johnny insisted, giving me a pleading look through the rear-view mirror.

"I can live with that," I laughed. “And to answer your previous question, how am I supposed to feel after sitting on a plane for 12 hours? I'm tired, hungry and cold."

"Sounds like a woman's complaints," laughed Johnny, but turned the car's heater on. “The Crown Prince had a menu prepared for you at his home. Then he'll let you sleep for a while."

"Yeah ... hopefully," I muttered, staring out the window. We'd be out for a while and I was trying hard not to fall asleep. The jet lag would knock me out soon enough. If I gave in to my tiredness now, I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight. I wish Johnny would have a chat with me, but that wasn't his job. He was responsible for my safety, not for my entertainment. He wasn't paid to be my friend.

When I thought of friendship, it immediately occurred to me that I had to get in touch with two people. And with one I knew very well how impatient he was. This was also confirmed when I took my phone out of flight mode. The notifications just let my phone blew up. However, one by one. First, I wrote to my best friend Mark that I had landed safely, that I was going home first to rest and that I would get back to him later. When I sent the message, I noticed that my wording was almost exactly the same as his. After two and a half years, I was still not over being abandoned by my first and so far only boyfriend. There was never a clarifying conversation. Never an official “it's over with us”. Theoretically there was never a breakup. But after two and a half years you could practically assume that it was over from the moment he could no longer be reached on his old mobile number.

After I had written to my best friend from Canada, I turned to my other best friend who had spammed me with “when are you arriving?” “write when you landed”, “I checked, you landed, why you don't message me?", "Jeeeenoooooo, Jeeeeenooooo, Jeeeeenooooo", "Lee Jeno, are you dead?", "hmpf, I'll wait for you at Doyie-Hyungs", “see u " messages.

I replied with "I'll be there in an hour, " and an emoji and put my phone aside. I didn't have any more friends to write to.

How much I wanted to write to him. Just ask him if he was still in Seoul, how he was doing and if he thought of me as often as I thought of him. But his number no longer existed.

“Jeno, would you mind if I stop at my favourite coffee shop? It's on the way and I really need a coffee."

“Go ahead, Hyung. Five minutes more or less doesn't matter either."

 

*

 

Jaemin POV

 

"As I can see, you still haven't decided which song to use for the short program."

Completely out of breath, I turned to a familiar voice and discovered my favourite competitor and one of my best friends at the rink, whose Korean was now almost better than my own and I was, after all, a born Korean.

“Are you kidding, Jun? I haven't even decided on a song for the freestyle,” I laughed and skated over to him.

"I thought you chose Miracles in December from Exo."

"Yes, but Promise is also very favourable and would go well with the choreography," I muttered, stepping off the ice.

“And what does Taeyong Hyung say about that? What does he think is better?” Renjun wanted to know.

“He doesn't care as long as I'm comfortable with it. However, Promise is seven seconds over time,” I huffed a little heavily and took off my skates. I had trained enough for today’s afternoon. I would come again in the evening and discuss the short program with my trainer.

"Then take Miracles in December," Renjun shrugged. “It's a nice song. I think it's great that you use K-pop music anyway. You don't do it normally."

“Yes, but the Olympics are in my home country. I can show a little national pride,” I winked at him, which made him laugh.

“Sure, you can prove what a big Exo fan you are right away. Feel free to admit it, you hope that they will notice that you are using their songs and, if you win, that they will invite you to a concert."

"Am I that predictable?" I giggled. “Joking aside, I have three Kai songs to choose from. All of them are great, the timing is very good, so that I don't get any points deducted for being overdue ... "

"Sounds like a but", my sports friend interrupted me, and I sighed deeply.

"Well, I think Taeyong Hyung's choreography is a little too y," I confessed quietly.

“Jaem, you are 21 and a y concept suits you. Have you looked in the mirror lately? Since you had your hair white-blonde and now with the black hair, you look very y. Yes, the light blue and pink was pretty too, but now ... wow. Use your long legs and swing your hips to knock everyone off their feet. Cross boundaries and do your thing."

I stared at Renjun with a raised eyebrow and a grin. "Wow, I might think you have the hots for me."

"In your dreams, Na. You know exactly what makes me soft and I don't feel so emotionally connected to you."

"And once again you're shattering so many fan dreams," I giggled.

“There will never be a RenMin,” said my “lover”, chosen by the fans.

"Just say that you don't love me, and you are good," I pouted, mock insulted, and slipped into my vans.

Panicked, Renjun wrapped his arms around me and hugged me a little awkwardly, so that my cheek was squished against his. "Noooooo, you know that I love you ... but not like that."

“Yes, yes I know and luckily. It would hurt my soul when I have to break your heart,” I joked.

Renjun rolled his eyes and pushed me gently away from him. “Luckily, I love you so much. Have you at least already decided on a song for the gala performance?"

I tilted my head and stared blankly at him. "As if. But at least I have an idea. I stay true to K-pop and would like something from Taemin. There is also a lot to offer. I would like something emotional."

“What is available? Maybe I can help you choose,” Renjun offered, and I weighed the pros and cons before I slowly answered him.

"I think it's love and Love ..." I looked down. But Renjun knew me too well. He knew I wasn't going to leave it at two. My indecisiveness was well known in the figure skating scene. I even managed to change my song choice an hour before the competition.

"And what else?" He pressed on.

"Back to you," I mumbled meekly and bit my lip. "And maybe also Flame of love?"

"Oh Jaemin, how is Taeyong Hyung holding up with you?" He sighed softly and shook his head sympathetically for my trainer. “In my opinion, Flame of love would be perfect. Just make up your mind quickly. The day after tomorrow is the opening ceremony and our competition is next week. The Olympic Committee won't be thrilled if you keep changing your plans."

"You sound like my Hyung," I groaned. “Now, I go to the café to get my daily dose of caffeine. Are you coming with me?"

Renjun shook his head. "Nope, Kun will pick me up right away and we'll go to the Olympic village."

"Oh yes, you're moving there today," I remembered and slipped into my black patted jacket.

“Not everyone has a huge apartment in Seoul and a training ice hall like you,” he teased me and got up with me so that he could at least accompany me to my car.

“All the prize money has to be used for something,” I laughed, shouldering my training bag. "At least I can give my brothers such a good and safe lifestyle."

When we stepped out of the hall it was a lot colder than it was inside the ice rink anyway. Fortunately, we were used to the cold anyway because of our sport. Our warm breath evaporated in the icy air to white clouds and Renjun buried his hands in his jacket pockets. From a distance I could already see Renjun's manager's car.

"When will you move to the village?" My friend wanted to know before we parted ways for the next few days. We would see each other at the opening ceremony, but there would be no time for more than a short “hello”. Mainly because I would go back to Seoul immediately afterwards to work on my program and train there. I really wanted to land a quadruple Axel, but so far I've had problems making the jump. The last attempt two weeks ago had brought me an injured ankle and the doctor who treated me was everything else than happy with my plan. Just like my physiotherapist Jungwoo, but he was my best friend and in the end, he supported me in everything I had planned. Even if he nagged like a Halmeoni. But with a quadruple Axel I would make history and that at the Olympic Games in my home country.

"Two days before the start of the competition. You can lead me through the “village” when I arrive,” I winked at him.

"I'll give you the sightseeing tour," Renjun laughed and hugged me goodbye. “I'll see you in two days. At least give me a short wave."

"This will be difficult when I carry the flag," I muttered while Renjun was still holding me. But after this new information for him, he let go of me and stared at me in shock.

"You will carry the flag?" When I nodded with a grin he started to laugh happily. "Congratulations Nana, that’s a great honour."

"I don't know for what I deserve this, but I'm not complaining," I shrugged.

"You only deserve good things, Nana." The impatient honking of Renjun's manager reminded us that he was pressed for time. My friend groaned in annoyance. "Goodbye Nana, I have to go now, otherwise he'll torment me with Chinese folk music the entire trip."

"Oh no," I breathed in mock shock. “We cannot allow that. Go, go, save your ride.” I dramatically pushed him towards the car and waved to him. I watched him get in the car and drive away before I sat in my own to drive to my favourite café.

 

I s my way through the busy traffic of Seoul with my Hyundai and also sang my way through my playlist. The drive to 7Dream, my favourite café, was long because of the traffic and when I parked near the café it was already getting dark. While I was still in the car, I put on my mask and pulled my hat lower over my face so that I wouldn't be recognized. Because of the upcoming competitions, quite a few fans from all over the world had travelled to Seoul and in the meantime I had already met a few, but today I really didn't have time for nice chats with fans. I just wanted to have a quick coffee, chat with my little brother and maybe chat with the baristas, who were always very nice to me.

With quick, long strides I hurried to the café as it was starting to snow again. 7Dream was a bit hidden in a side street, so it was never really overcrowded, and I always got a free seat in my preferred corner. However, I had the feeling that Yangyang or Sungchan always reserved this place for me. The former greeted me directly with a beaming smile and without me having to say anything, he went straight to work.

I waved to him with a smile and wandered to my regular seat, where my little brother was already sitting and talking to Sungchan.

"Oh my Jisungie," I chirped in a good mood and poked his cheek lovingly. "You are looking cute again today."

"Hyung", he snorted annoyed, which I didn't buy from him and tried to avoid my hand. He secretly loved it when I showered him with affection.

Laughing, I squeezed next to him and greeted Sungchan. "Today is especially quiet."

“That's right, Hyung. But the weather is also really cold, and it snows all the time. People prefer to stay at home in the warm,” Sungchan agreed.

"And then there is me who even goes to an ice rink when it's so cold."

"Ice Prince of Korea," Jisung muttered.

“Our greatest hope for gold. Are you excited yet, Hyung? ", Sungchan wanted to know, while he stared at me with his big Bambi eyes.

"Yes ... I am," I confessed. “My goal is to stand a quadruple Axel in competition. These Olympic Games are a home game for me. It's like coming home. So, it’s something very special."

My brother gasped for air. “Hyung, I still think it's too dangerous. What if you fall and injure yourself?"

“I keep falling during training, too,” I shrugged.

"Yes, and that's why your foot is injured, Pabo."

Before I could fix my little brothers’ language, Yangyang served me my beloved Americano with at least four shots of espresso. As always, my eyes fell directly on the mug to read what he had written on it this time. “If you can dream it, you can do it!” I read aloud. Either he overheard our conversation, or it was pure coincidence. "Thank you, Yang," I thanked him. "Sometimes I think you are my very own fortune cookie."

"I taste as sweet as a cookie, too," he flirted, which drew the other two loud, throaty gagging noises and the coffee almost came out of my nose when I had to suppress a laugh. We knew Yangyang wasn't serious, but for whatever reason, I was his favourite flirtation victim.

“Oh, did you hear that the royal family will be present at the opening ceremony? I heard that even the youngest prince came here especially for this. He has not been seen in public for six years. The last picture of him appeared when he was 15. Wow, I'm so excited to see how he looks now. I'm sure he's just as handsome as our Crown Prince Doyoung. Jaemin Hyung, I hope you will have the opportunity to meet them," enthused Sungchan, while all the colour was wiped off my face and I got the feeling I was sitting under a cheese dome. Every background noise around me was only dull.

Jeno was back? Jeno would see me? Would he recognize me again? Was he still thinking of me at all? Damn it, I suddenly felt sick. Shakily, I put the coffee mug on the table and tried to calm my breathing. That way he would find out who I was. Not exactly the way I imagined it would be. Or maybe he already knew? Had he found out a long time ago that I was a professional athlete? After all, I had won a few titles. Somehow or from somewhere he must have found out by now for what I had to leave him.

"Hyung? Is everything ok? You're so pale.” Jisung shook my arm in concern. “Should I call Jaehyun Hyung? Or Taeyong Hyung?"

"No ... no," I muttered. "Everything is good. You don't have to worry, Jisungie. Hyung was just dizzy for a moment."

“That's the coffee, Hyung. This broth is pure poison,” my little brother scolded me. "At some point it will damage your heart and your stomach."

"Yes, maybe you are right," I smiled gently at him. It was better to let him believe that coffee could destroy my heart and not a certain prince who nobody knew I knew. Loved him. Still loved and missed him.

The little bell over the entrance of the café announced new customers and the two baristas, who had made themselves comfortable at our table, turned at the same time to the door. A tall, handsome man in a black suit and his hair pulled back had come in. Sungchan seemed to know him as he immediately jumped up and hurried to the counter.

“Johnny Hyung, good to see you. You look so y. A date?"

This Johnny guy started laughing and shook his head. “No, today is my first day with my new client. This is my biggest job so far."

"Ohhhh," Sungchan breathed and began to prepare Johnny's order without having even ordered. Probably Johnny was to Sungchan what I was to Yangyang.

"Hyung is a bodyguard," Yangyang whispered to me. "He comes by almost every day and is just as much a coffee junkie as you. But he doesn't get such sweet messages written on his mug."

"What a lucky guy," Jisung mumbled next to me and I kicked his leg under the table.

"Well, it won't be any of the royals," I heard Sungchan joke.

Johnny's posture stiffened a little and he laughed artificially as he took his order and paid with his card. “And if it were so, I shouldn't tell you. Take care Sungchanie. Bye Yangyang”, he called in the direction of our table before he left the café again. The door slammed again before Yangyang could call back a bye.

My eyes immediately wandered to the large window front and I could see him getting into a black limousine that was parked right in front of my little Hyundai. No, it would be a too big coincidence if my prince were really sitting in there.