Desperate for the Cheesecake

Smitten
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Shuhua clamped the pillow over her head and shut her eyes tighter. She just wanted to sleep her sadness away, but her roommate and best friend, Yuqi, kept bugging her about this new club that had opened up down the block. She was sure that Yuqi was already standing beside her bed, looking down at her with a sympathetic look. 

 

“Shu, you can’t mope forever. Laying in bed will not help you forget, sweetie.” Yuqi pulled the pillow off of her roommate’s face, and out of her grip. A groan left Shuhua’s lips, and a glare shot through her eyes. Yuqi ignored the daggers shooting her way, proceeding to get her best friend out of bed. 

 

“C’mon. Up.” 

 

“Yuqi, I really do not want to get out of bed.” Shuhua grumbled, but let herself be pulled up till she was sitting. 

 

It’s only been two weeks since she broke up with her boyfriend, Renjun, after he cheated on her. Shuhua didn’t know why it affected her this bad when she was thinking of ending things with him anyway. 

 

Maybe that’s why she wasn’t that mad about it, she felt rather hurt though. She felt betrayed. Even if she didn’t quite see a future with him as a couple, she still cared for him and her feelings for him were always real. He made her feel so special; someone she could trust. Shuhua wore her heart on her sleeve for him. Something she does not do very easily. 

 

“If you come with me tonight, I promise I won't bug you again until you've moved on from the crying and moping.” Yuqi said, her eyebrows raised in anticipation. 

 

Shuhua rolled her eyes, muttering an “I wasn't crying” under her breath. She probably had been crying about it for a week, but at a point she started to question why she was. 

 

Well, it was actually Yuqi who made many good reasons on why this could actually be a good thing. It gave her less of a distraction in life and she could just focus on herself and medical school. 

 

Shuhua sighed, giving in. “Fine.” 

 

Yuqi smirked, “alright. Go put on some dropping clothes.” She cheered, darting out of her room in excitement. Shuhua could only shake her head, the first smile in two weeks actually coming to her lips. 

 

When she walked out of her room thirty minutes later, Yuqi looked at her with a proud look on her face. Shuhua caught the way her roommate looked at her up and down, a smirk growing on her face. “You clean up nice. You took a shower right? Because I know how you get when you’re depressed.” Yuqi asked, an unsure look gracing her features. 

 

“I wanna hit you right now.” Shuhua looked at her with a straight and serious face. Yuqi only chuckled and pulled on her wrist. “You also get grumpy and abusive when you’re sad.” The older added, a teasing tone in her voice. 

 

//

 

“See anyone you like?” Yuqi whispered into her ear. Shuhua gave her a weird look, pulling her face back away from the brunette to make sure she saw the mere judgment her face showed. They literally had just stepped into the place, and Yuqi was already asking her.

 

Yuqi was quite different from Shuhua, and despite knowing the older girl for most of her life now, she could never match Yuqi’s personality, and maybe that’s what makes them so compatible. Yuqi made sure that Shuhua had time to have fun and let loose, and Shuhua was a good balance to keep Yuqi from doing crazy, stupid things that may or may not have happened before they met each other. And of course, sometimes, they’re just crazy together. 

 

“I have standards,” Shuhua replied. 

 

Yuqi rolled her eyes, “Not to mention, but your standards are very high. Although, I wouldn’t count your ex as one. You downgraded on that bastard.” Shuhua let herself laugh at her best friend’s statement, and how Yuqi’s face showed how much she still hated him. 

 

Yuqi never liked her ex from the start. When she introduced the both of them to each other, Yuqi played nice with a fake smile the whole time, but as soon as he left, she went on full blast with her judgement. Shuhua would always laugh it off because it was just all too hilarious. 

 

Yuqi made sure to point out that Shuhua’s taste in men was not as good as her taste in women, also going to the extent to say she wishes the younger girl was a full on lesbian, rather than bi. 

 

When Shuhua came home crying, telling her about her ex cheating, Yuqi enveloped her into a comforting hug. Of course, she didn’t miss the opportunity to mutter a quiet, but comforting “I told you so.” But right after, Yuqi voiced out her anger and threatened to find her ex and cut his man parts off and feed it to the pigs because that’s exactly what her ex was. 

 

A pig. 

 

Shuhua had watched Yuqi pace around their apartment while blabbing the many insults that were always on replay ever since Yuqi met him, “he’s such a pig. I hope someone steps on his stupid face. Better yet, I will step on his stupid face. I’ll make sure to wear the sharpest heels I’ve got and aim for his eye sockets.” 

 

“Well, look around and match your standards.” Yuqi encouraged her, walking away to squeeze herself through the dance floor. 

 

Shuhua huffed, her eyes following her roommate until she disappeared in the crowd of people. She led herself to the bar, not planning on interacting with anyone, though she did plan on getting very, very drunk. 

 

She didn’t come to find someone. Shuhua wasn’t the type to form relationships with others if she knows it’s not one that she wants to last for a while. Not even for her needs. She knows that those types of things only lead to complicated things, though Yuqi was all about it and always tries to prove her wrong. 

 

Shuhua couldn’t keep track of the many hookups her best friend has had. She told Yuqi to never introduce her to any of them unless the older girl planned on actually keeping them around to know their name herself. They never lasted more than two s, and Shuhua made sure to tell Yuqi off about the complicated lifestyle she was living. 

 

Of course, Yuqi would always wave her off and repeat the words, “hey, man. I’m just having fun.” followed by a teasing lip bite and a distant look in her eyes, which prompted Shuhua to always roll her eyes. It wasn’t her life, but she worried about Yuqi. She was practically the only family Shuhua had. 

 

“Rough day?” The bartender slid her the drink that she ordered.

 

Shuhua raised the cup towards the girl behind the counter as a silent thank you, before she took a long needed swig. 

 

Before she could find words, Shuhua let out a sigh as the alcohol burned , just how she liked it. “More like a rough few weeks,” a forced laugh left her lips, before taking a swig again. Shuhua lowered her eyes to read the name tag that was clipped onto the bartender’s black uniform blouse. 

 

Soyeon. 

 

Soyeon smirked, grabbing another glass for her to wipe dry. “Next one’s on me then.” 

 

Shuhua’s eyebrows shot up in surprise, before they relaxed and a smile graced her lips. Soyeon hasn’t looked at her yet, as she solely focused on drying the line of glass cups. 

 

“Wow, thank you. That is probably the highlight of this whole ed up month.” Shuhua let out a soft sigh, her hands wrapping around the almost empty glass in front of her. 

 

“So, do you go to NYU too?” Shuhua questioned, trying to keep a conversation going. 

 

Soyeon took a while to answer, before she placed the glass and towel down, leaning her hands on the counter. “no, actually. I go to Julliard.” Shuhua couldn’t help the feign of surprise that appeared on her face, and Soyeon could only let out a chuckle. “I’m sorry, was that rude? I didn’t mean to look, so surprised. It’s just that--” Soyeon’s laugh only grew, she looked quite amused and Shuhua didn’t know why. 

 

“Do I not look like someone who could go to Julliard?” Soyeon teasingly questioned.

 

Shuhua scratched her head, and rapidly shook her head. “No, no. I just haven’t met anyone who attends. You’re the first one. I guess that's what surprised me? I don’t know, . I’m too sober to be this embarrassing.” Shuhua palmed her face, shaking her head, before shooting Soyeon another apologetic look, to which the latter only laughed at. 

 

“It’s quite alright. I’m just ing with you.” Soyeon refilled her now empty cup, and Shuhua let out a quiet thanks. 

 

“My cousin, actually, is the one who goes to NYU. She’s in her second year of graduate school. She’s the one who actually opened this place up in this location.” Soyeon gestured to the place. Shuhua hummed, nodding, as her eyes roamed the area for the first time, appreciating the interior of the big place.

 

“So, there’s more than one location? You guys must be stacked then?” Shuhua jokes, and she found herself quite enjoying herself in the presence of a new friend. One that goes to Julliard. She just has to point out. 

 

A corner of Soyeon’s lips shot up, and her head tilted. “We just know how to run a business, I guess? I actually own a cafe that’s just around the corner from here with my sister.” Shuhua’s mouth dropped open, and she knows she’s still too sober for this. 

 

“Are you ing kidding me? So you’re here for fun?” Shuhua said, hands motioning to the whole uniform and behind the counter position. 

 

Soyeon shrugged, taking the black apron that was around her waist, and making her way from behind the counter. She sat in the free seat next to Shuhua, making herself comfortable. “I owed Soojin, and her idea of a fair deal was for me to watch her newly opened club while she’s handling business.” Soyeon explained. 

 

So her cousin’s name was Soojin. 

 

“What kind of business?” Shuhua questioned. 

 

Soyeon chuckled once more, and shook her head. “You’re quite nosy, huh?” 

 

Shuhua blushed, ducking her head, embarrassed. “More curious, than nosy.” Soyeon pursed her lips and slowly nodded, eyes narrowing as if to sarcastically say “yeah, okay.” 


 

“So, uhm..” Soyeon trailed, waiting for the latter to finally give her a name. 

 

“Oh, it’s Shuhua. Shuhua Yeh.” Soyeon bowed her head, acknowledging her introduction, before repeating it herself. “Shuhua.” Then pointing to the tag that was now on the counter, “Soyeon.” 

 

“Why are you here, if not to have fun? I’m sure there’s better company out there than with me,” Soyeon jokes, nodding her head towards the swarm of people moving to the beat of whatever the DJ was playing. 

 

Shuhua made a face, “I do not feel like bumping bodies with a bunch of sweaty people. That’s more Yuqi’s scene. I’m good with this.” Shuhua raised her new filled glass and grinned at the latter. 

 

“Yuqi?” Soyeon questioned. Shuhua nodded and before she could explain who that was, the devil herself came walking towards them, surprisingly with no one swaying by her side. 

 

“Remind me never to grind against anyone without downing a drink first. These people are animals.” Yuqi grunted, taking her hands to fix her dress in place because some guy couldn’t keep it in his pants. 

 

Shuhua and Soyeon watched, amused at how Yuqi ordered two shots and downed them both. 

 

“Yuqi?” Soyeon said, questioning eyes staring at Shuhua. She nodded, giggling as Yuqi took a seat on her lap, arm around her shoulders as she analyzed Soyeon.

 

 “Hey, you made a friend. Did she meet your standards?” Yuqi grinned, eyebrows wiggling at her best friend. 

 

Shuhua’s eyes widened, “Yuqi, no what the .” She shot an apologetic look towards her new friend. “So I don’t fit your standards?” Soyeon said, an amused smile on her face. 

 

“Oh my god,” Shuhua facepalmed. 

 

“She’s not bad. You’re cute. Hot? Hm…” Yuqi tilted her head, eyes raking Soyeon, trying to decide whether that word was fitting for the stranger. 

 

Soyeon smirked, reaching out to teasingly brush her hand on the taller girl's thigh. “Yeah. Hot. And I’m not even gay. Tell me again, Shuhua, why is she a no?” Yuqi turned to her best friend, who turned beet red. 

 

Soyeon chuckled, “How are you so sure that I like girls?” 

 

Yuqi whipped her head towards the girl, looking her up and down. “Please, you scream gay.” Soyeon only scoffed, shaking her head with amusement. 

 

“I’m not here to find someone, brat. And Soyeon, I would like to apologize for my friend’s behavior. I… I don't even have an excuse for you, you’re still sober.” Shuhua rolled her eyes at Yuqi, who hopped off her lap, being reminded that she was not drunk yet. 

 

“We should really get me hammered,” Yuqi muttered, downing two more shots and screaming a “whoo!” 

 

“She’s quite fun,” Soyeon commented. 

 

Yuqi smirked, turning towards the shorter girl. “Yeah? I’m pretty sure I’m straight, but I’m only pretty sure. You gonna try to change my mind?” She put two fingers under Soyeon’s chin, raising it up for her to look at her. Soyeon returned the smirk, “Oh, baby. See these fingers? They can do you more pleasure than any man you’ve ever been with.” Yuqi’s lips parted open as she watched Soyeon drag her fingers from the top of her cheek, to the base of her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter