Chapter 1: Why Can't You Love Me

[Multi-Chapter] When This Rain Stops
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Nayeon

 

 

Whipped who?

Who's whipped for who?

"Nayeon will do anything to see Mina smile."

"Mina smiles at whatever Nayeon does."

"Nayeon's just weak for Mina. You know that." 

"Didn't Mina ask for Nayeon's picture when we were trainees? I figured she likes her since then."

"So, what happened to them?" 

"Nothing. They drifted apart." 

"But...did they become together, together? Or not even together yet?

Seriously.

You're not even sure if they're acknowledging you in front of them. Or if they just don't care. They're talking about you and Mina. And the audacity of these so-called sisters of yours to discuss your sinking relationship. Right. in. front. of. your. salad.

The fake coughs didn't work. Not even the cute whines that usually make their faces sour. 

"Why don't you just ask me, then? Or her?" You grab your shot glass and take a sip on it. The bitter taste of  liquor flowing through the tip of your tongue is enough to feel dizzy. You hold on to the person beside you, a little gesture to remind yourself that you're still here. Tipsy yes, but still here, aware of everything.

"Because you're avoiding this topic for what, two years, Nayeon?" Chaeyoung flatly says.

You simply dismiss her words with your hand. A weak argument, you think. Yes, you've tried to avoid the elephant in the room, but you also groomed it, took care of it and allowed it to grow more. The elephant became a companion you learn to be with, something you grow accustomed to. Something you consider a friend in the darkness.

Like a comfortable pain.

"And clearly, the other girl can't answer cause she's sleeping. Beside you." Jihyo adds, an eyebrow raised at the closeness between you and Mina. 

You take a glance at her, the person you're holding. Her head on your shoulder, her soft snore whispering comfort to your ears, and her clingy drunk self allowing you to hold her like this.

"She wanted this so much. So we agreed." Momo raises her own bottle to you, cheering you, probably.

It's been months of back and forth promotions and finally, after finishing the last schedule, you're given the much needed free time from the company. 

You all agreed to visit Dahyun's, since she also decided to stay with her old aunt near the countryside. She says she misses the simple life close to nature.

It's supposedly just a simple get together. But Jeongyeon asked everyone to bring some drinks. And you're a group that rarely hangs out with alcohol, but that day feels like a grand celebration, so everyone pitched in.

"So, Nayeon. Since Mina won, on behalf of her, we want to know what you two really are."

Jeongyeon pours something from a big jar. It was a medicine wine they got from Dahyun's aunt.

"We're good friends." 

"Who...occasionally shows unrequited affection to one another?" You roll your eyes at Chaeyoung.

She's been starting to tick you off when you agreed to play with Mina tonight.

You don't know what's gotten into Mina. Maybe it was because of the lack of interaction. Maybe it's the alcohol talking, or maybe it was really because she missed you.

Dahyun glances at Mina. "It's not even unrequited. They just don't want to--"

Mina challenged you, in front of you and your friends. That if she wins, she wants you to speak up, with no pretensions or filters, and answer her truthfully, there, in front of the girls.

"I'm sorry, but is my issue with Mina affecting our work?" You really don't like the taste of the medicine wine. But Momo and Sana drank all of the fancy wines you brought. And you really need something to tame the pain away. So you take the shot again.

You agreed to the game because you like winning. And you know Mina's low tolerance in alcohol because of her allergies. It should be easy for you. So when Jihyo and Dahyun prepared  three glasses, with the mixture of all your drinks, you went in and drank the first one at ease. But the taste was so strong you couldn't even finish half of the second glass. 

Mina clearly won, the determination on her face showing even after finishing her last glass. Luckily, it didn't take an hour for the alcohol to doze her off.

Tzuyu gently holds Mina away from your shoulder. And you all watch the girl lay on the floor, sleeping with a slightly open mouth.

"It doesn't. But we care for you, unnie."

Everyone looks at you and gently smiles. A small gesture to pinch your pretentious heart. But Tzuyu, the youngest, has a special way to sneak through your walls, a subtle caring voice she only uses to you. And as she offers her arms openly, your walls slowly crumble to her welcoming embrace. You allow yourself to be held closely by her.

"Fine. But if you're expecting something. Then, fall in line with me. I tell you. It's a hopeless thing..." 

No one says a word. Not even one question asked after. 

 

--

 

 

Your body aches and your head feels like there's still a party ongoing inside. No one's talking in the car, but the silence is still making your head spin. Last night is still blurry for you, and the only thing you remember are just the events before Tzuyu hugged you.

The first time you wake up, there's Mina beside you, her arms resting on your stomach, while Dahyun and Tzuyu hold both of your arms. The second time you wake up, Mina's facing the other side, away from you. And Jeongyeon is greeting you with a eating grin on her face. You decided that was enough for you to push yourself and wake up.

You were told the rest of the girls went back to their dorms early. And Jeongyeon was kind enough to wait for both of you.

Mina taps your shoulder and offers you a bottle of water. 

"Thanks. How’s your rashes?"

“I think it’s good I fell asleep right away. I’m okay.”

Mina isn't far better from you. But she still looks all right, despite the droopy eyes and the big frown in her face.

You drink the water, making sure to offer some to Mina. When she motions you to continue drinking, you continue to gulp until the last drop. You want to drain down the after-taste of the weird soup which Dahyun’s aunt offered to you that morning.

You tightly close your eyes. It must have been embarrassing that even Dahyun's aunt had to prepare soup for you and Mina.

"Unnie," Mina whispers. "Rest on me."

She gently assists your head to rest on her shoulder, using the other hand to keep your head steady. You try to focus on Mina's warmth. Noticing a hint of alcohol on her, the drink must have stuck to the other girl's clothes. And you can't help but groan on the thoughts of last night. You think you're definitely avoiding alcohol for the rest of the year. 

Mina starts to caress your head, and you try to concentrate on matching your breathing with her. You position your head to a more comfortable one--a position you two are familiar with. 

"Hey, about last night. I miss you, too." You say. 

You feel Mina's head moving, followed by a soft contact on your forehead--the warmth of her lips quickly spreading across your cheeks.

"You've been saying that a lot since last night."

You open your mouth to laugh at her, but just thinking about how it already hurts your head, so you stop yourself.

"You started it! You kept on saying you miss me. Then you got drunk and slept seconds after." 

"But I also said that to everyone. I miss everyone."

"Suree. You miss everyone. But the drunk you missed me so much."

"Well, the drunk you wanted to take all your clothes and declare your love in front of everyone." 

"Wha--"

Jeongyeon finally chimes in and laughs so loud it echoed in the back of your head. 

"That's true! I was able to record that!"

 

--

 

 

It takes half of the afternoon before the memories shower you with a bucket of cold shame. You texted Tzuyu and Dahyun right away to say sorry and thank you for protecting everyone's eyes. Finally understanding why the two were holding your arms that morning.

You also send a middle finger to Jeongyeon for sending you a clip of the event last night.

Mina, on the other hand, only looks at you pleadingly. And it makes your knees weak and suddenly you don't know why you even take a second to stop yourself from kissing her under the sheets.

You didn't tell her you remember everything though. Your kisses and your touch will be enough, you think.

 

--

 

"Welcome back, Nayeon…" Momo and Sana just got back together with the dogs.

Momo pauses and narrows her eyes at the two of you, cuddled in your fuzzy blanket. "...and Mitang? Hello." 

She takes off the leash of Boo and you watch her dog run into his bowl of food. Momo awkwardly smiles before getting Sana's grocery bags. 

"I'll cook something japanese since Mitang's here."

"Thank you, Momoring." Mina whispers and shyly smiles.

Sana's lips are pressed tightly when she greets you. "Nayeon unnie." 

"H-hello, Sana." 

"What is she doing here? Covered in your blanket?" 

Mina looks at you with guilt reflecting in her eyes. You move the blanket closer to Mina and grins back at Sana.

"Because we have a kotatsu table here?"

Sana's eyebrow twitches. She throws you a dagger look, before stepping closer towards both of you.

You take it as a sign and stand up quick to shield away Mina from a displeased Sana.

"Sana, come on. She just really misses you two the most. And you know the main reason we bought the kotatsu is for Mina, right?" 

You smile too good, too wide, something you practiced well to show off in front of the blinding cameras. But Sana's not blind. She obviously knows the act you've been putting on. You swallow thickly, realizing the heavy atmosphere around the room.

"Nayeon unnie." Sana raises her voice. And you feel Dobby leaning in to your foot, and cooing. "I told you one thing. I told you when you're not drunk, while we're getting drunk. And when you're wasted. I told you--"

"Satang, we've worked it out." Mina gently assures Sana. You quickly glance at the other girl and nod too fast.

The other girl's face slowly turns soft upon hearing Mina's voice. Not leaving her eyes at you, her gaze moves from head to toe.

"Put some clothes on." Sana turns around and sighs.

You remember you're only wearing your undies because Momo texted you they'll be home late tonight. And you just really, wanted to show Mina the kotatsu, and probably some other things too.

It's normal for you to only wear these. You even had your own summer party at your dorm before. But clearly, Sana's not having any of it today. And you can only lower her h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter