Second

The Rapper Kim Dahyun

2

 

“Good afternoon.”

 

 

Jeongyeon gave Sana a tap on her back to wake her. Sana removed her eyes from some papers and look at Jeongyeon. She sighs and shooed her away, grabbing her too close face and pushing before going back again to her routine. Jeongyeon grunt and moved to the vice president’s desk.

“Jihyo, she’s too serious. Is she really a cheerleader?” Jeongyeon whined and pouted.

 

 

“Well, she is also the student council president,” Jihyo said before glancing at Jeongyeon. She’s also busy on her own. “She’s a cheerleader when she’s a cheerleader but right now, she’s the president.”

 

 

Jeongyeon rolled her eyes and leaned her back to the chair, her arms rocking beside her. She just wanted to invite the busy people to have some snack but guess they’re busy. Jeongyeon scoffed with her thoughts and slammed her hands to Jihyo’s desk, Jihyo’s alarm goes off at the same time.

 

 

“Shall we take a break?” Sana spoke and stretches her arms, yawning as she got up on her seat. “Good work today, Jihyo.”

 

 

Jihyo hummed and arranged the papers before she followed Sana towards the door, Jeongyeon still on her seat. She just can’t believe how quickly Sana’s mood can change.

 

 

“You’ll join us?” Sana’s question was directed to Jeongyeon.

 

 

“Of course, I’ve been meaning to since I got here twenty minutes ago.”

 

 

Jeongyeon’s tone was sarcastic but it is completely irrelevant for Sana. She already knew how she is and waiting is something the soccer captain is adept at. She gets the door and gets to her usual, calm expression. A woman wearing a black oversized shirt and a black cap caught her attention. She was looking at the bulletin board beside the door. The woman noticed her and immediately shifted, walking away. She somehow had the feeling of déjà vu. She brushed it off and make way for Jeongyeon and Jihyo to get out of the room.

 

 

Jeongyeon took them to the cafeteria—their table near a vending machine, besides the glass walls. She looked around and saw some familiar faces and acquaintances she exchanged greetings with. Then, a couple of tables away is her friend from the cheer squad, benching with three women she’s somewhat familiar with. Sana’s concentration was interrupted when Chaeyoung showed up.

 

 

“I’m sorry, I’m late,” Chaeyoung greeted and get beside Jeongyeon before deeply sighing. “Some girls keep getting in my way.”

 

 

“As popular as ever,” Jeongyeon teased and nudges the soccer star. “Because I don’t have a wild girlfriend who will snap the neck of everyone who tries to get in my pants,” Chaeyoung said which made everyone laugh.

 

 

“Then, get one who can do the same.” This time, it’s Jihyo with a grin.

 

 

Chaeyoung only groans as a response and gets to the vending machine to get some drinks. This time, Jeongyeon is the one who noticed Momo on the other bench conversing with a tan woman.

 

 

“Hey, Momo!” Jeongyeon shouted which somehow caught the attention of half the students inside the cafeteria.

 

 

Momo turned to them and nodded, murmuring something to the tan woman before going to her gang.

 

 

“What’s up?”

 

 

"Want to go to some live band concert tomorrow night?" Jeongyeon invited.

 

 

“Sure, that will be cool,” Momo said and sit beside Sana. “I’m throwing an all-girls party. Saturday, seven pm. Don’t be late.”

 

 

“It’s only the second week and you’re already trying to get busted by the cops?” Sana shakes her head.

 

 

“Well, I found someone I like. It will be weird if she’s the only one I invite when she’s with her friends.” Momo moved her eyes towards the table she just removed herself to and waved, the tan woman waving back.

 

 

“That one?” Jeongyeon, about the one who waved back.

 

 

“No, . That one, that cute, snuggly one.” Momo pointing to the woman wearing round glasses and an oversized black shirt.

 

 

“A girl toy?” It was Chaeyoung.

 

 

“Well…” Momo hesitated a little, letting out a knowing smirk. “She has that ‘please, be gentle’ eyes and I can’t help but to take interest.”

 

 

“What’s the name?” Jeongyeon spoke, Sana and Jihyo just listening.

 

 

“Kim Dahyun. She’s so squishy,” Momo said and pinches her cheeks.

 

 

“What about her friends?” Chaeyoung asked, having some interest in someone now.

 

 

“The one with the checkered flannel is Mina and the tan one is Tzuyu.”

 

 

Sana decided to look at the women Momo are talking about. They seemed normal, a relaxed group with some peculiarities based on their styles. She caught the one called Tzuyu eyeing her that’s why she meets her gaze but she looked away. Her brow rose and this time, it was Dahyun who she caught red-handed. Unlike Tzuyu, it took a few seconds before the other removed her eyes from her and get back to reading the magazine she has. Sana found it amusing and decided to turn her attention back to their table.

 

 

“She’s so scary,” Dahyun whispered which Mina caught.

 

 

“Who is?”

 

 

“Sana? She’s not? She’s gorgeous.” Tzuyu insisted which answered Mina’s question.

 

 

“She’s intimidating.” Dahyun rephrased.

 

 

The flashback of their short staring battle which she lost came back. It made her shake her head. Unconsciously reaching to her back to find a cloth to cover her head but she did not wear a hoodie. She groaned, feeling helpless.

 

 

Mina noticed Dahyun’s struggles and decided to pat her head. Around the same time, some clattering was made at the direction of the group Momo’s involved with. She did not care thus just caressed Dahyun’s head so she can relax. Dahyun did not even flinch when Mina reached for her, letting her help her.

 

 

“Thank you,” Dahyun said and smile at Mina, her anxiousness gone. Mina only nodded and placed the headphones to her ears before opening a book she’s reading.

 

 

Dahyun decided to take a deep breath and leaned to the chair before going back to reading and not minding her surroundings.

 

 

“See? I told you she’s squishy,” Momo said, irritation present in her voice. “But that was unnecessary. That head rub was unnecessary.”

 

 

“I agree,” Chaeyoung seconded and drink her juice.

 

 

“More like an anxious person to me,” Sana butted in.

 

 

“I think so too,” Jihyo said.

 

 

Sana nodded at Jihyo and sip on her drink.

 

 

*********

 

 

The other day came and everyone is getting ready, especially Dahyun because it will be her first official performance as a rapper. The Underground Stage preparing for a concert of the band Twice a Day which Dahyun is part of. They are the final act and surely, many people are rooting for them.

 

 

Dahyun—while watching the staff furnishing the stage—grabbed on her chest, clothes wrinkling because of her grip. She took a deep breath, calming herself, and let go of her black hoodie. She noticed that groups already start to form, didn’t even realized that she’s been standing at the same spot for so long. Stepping out of the crowd, she bumped into a woman wearing a shirt with her band logo. She gasps in surprise when she saw who she was.

 

 

“Mina?”

 

 

“Oh?” Mina was surprised. “I didn’t know you like surrounding like this.”

 

 

She felt her temperature rise, the redness of her cheeks cannot be denied. Her breathing became hitch. Gulping, she found some words to say.

 

 

“I—yeah… I like rock music.” Mina nodded with her words. “I… I’ll be on the stage… later.”

 

 

“Really?” Mina was astounded that she found herself peering at Dahyun, amused at the latter’s confession.

 

 

“Yeah… I just joined their… band. As a rapper…” Dahyun nervously laughs, afraid to meet Mina’s eyes.

 

 

“Dahyun— I mean KD, come on!” Nayeon called and sign to her to get on the stage.

 

 

Dahyun jolted and said her farewell to Mina, the latter didn’t say more.

 

 

Once she’s up on the stage she put the mic on the holder, queuing the start of the performance. The lights focused on each member, the crowd cheering relentlessly as Nayeon sing. Dahyun was asked to do some harmonization for the first parts before she has a solo performance at the end.

 

 

Sweats dripping from her forehead as the rising heat penetrates the stage. She was wearing a black hoodie and her black cup, making her face not visible to the crowd. She continues to follow Nayeon until the performance reaches its peak. The lights drop, making way for her and Nayeon to exchange place. She took a deep breath, signing to Dowoon to start the drums. The crowd’s cheer died down, Dahyun’s anxiety suddenly rising but she once again took a deep breath before starting.

 

 

The light focused on her and only her as she starts her smooth flow, together with the soft beat of the drums. The crowd remains silent, Dahyun now reaching the of her performance. Drums made noises, together with the guitar and bass, the flickering lights made it more exciting. Now she’s spitting fire, Dahyun completely let herself go. The crowds cheered as she raps faster, giving her the energy and morale she needed to push harder. It was ecstatic.

 

 

The crowd kept cheering after the performance, now even praising the new rapper alias 'KD' for her skills. They got down on stage when the lights off but before Dahyun get to the room, her eyes searched for the crowd. She tried finding Mina but she can’t see her since she doesn’t have her glasses and she did not put on her contacts to prevent her from panicking. But she got one thing in mind, she hopes that Mina won’t tell anyone especially Tzuyu.

 

 

“Nice job, rookie,” Nayeon praised, the other members also giving her compliments and thumbs up.

 

 

She will enjoy her sleep tonight.

 

 

******

 

 

“Who is that?” Momo's amused tone, pointing at the rapper on stage. “She is so hot!”

 

 

Everyone looked at Jeongyeon for an explanation as they all didn’t know that Twice a Day has a new member.

 

 

“I don’t know. Nayeon didn’t tell me,” Jeongyeon responds.

 

 

“She’s cool, right?” Momo shrugged Sana. “I want her.”

 

 

“What about Dahyun?” Jihyo asked.

 

 

“I want both of them,” Momo somehow caught Sana’s expression. “Don’t tell me you taken a liking to that rapper?

 

 

Sana’s eyes fixated at the hole the band just entered turned to Momo, coldly staring at her.

 

 

“Not one bit,” She monotonously exclaimed.

 

 

“Do you all want to go backstage so we can ask Nayeon?”

 

 

“Very nice idea, Jeong.” Momo clapped in amusement and nods her head.

 

 

“Wait, where’s Chaeyoung?” Jihyo asked.

 

 

Everyone looked around but no shorty was found thus alarming them. They decided to split for a while and get back to their place after ten minutes of searching as there’s no phone signal underground.

 

 

Sana decided to go backstage and near the hall where the band entered to rest. She bumped into someone and heard a mumble, the person she bumped with sprinted to the exit. She just brushed it off thus continue her search which didn’t last since Chaeyoung shows besides her.

 

 

“Where have you gone to?” Sana asked as she looked around, seeing a familiar person walking away.

 

 

“I just saw someone familiar and decided to greet them.” Chaeyoung watching the woman walking out behind her.

 

 

Sana figured it out as even in the dim lights that elegant feature is visible.

 

 

“The girl from the other table?”

 

 

“Yes…” Chaeyoung answered. “Anyways, let’s go back.”

 

 

Sana was intrigued that the girl from the other table will be here but she can’t really judge a book by its cover.

 

 

Once they got back, Jihyo scolded Chaeyoung on the way to the hall where the band was in. Jeongyeon knocks on the door, Nayeon opening it wearing pajamas.

 

 

“I’m tired. Let’s go home,” Nayeon whined and hug Jeongyeon, the latter pushing her because of embarrassment.

 

 

“B-before that, they like to ask something,” Jeongyeon stuttered trying to compose herself.

 

 

Nayeon looked behind her girlfriend, seeing a bunch of women.

 

 

“Who’s that rapper? She’s hot,” Momo said for the nth time.

 

 

“Oh, KD?” Nayeon’s realization. “She came just a week ago.”

 

 

All of them nodded, satisfied with the answer.

 

 

“Why? You want her?” Nayeon teased. “You might be shocked to see how shy she is backstage.”

 

 

Momo giggled which everyone felt sinister, especially Sana. The latter felt chills down her spine when she saw Momo looking at her.

 

 

“What?” Sana asked Momo when they’re outside because the latter kept glancing at her.

 

 

“You haven’t noticed you let out a little ‘woah’ when KD’s performing?”

Sana stopped in her tracks, did she?

 

 

“Looks like you did not.” Momo let out a chuckle. “But I won’t let you, she’s mine.”

 

 

Sana stared at Momo as the latter get to her car, saying her farewell from the rest. Everyone on the parking lot was gone except for her, still processing what just transpired…

 

 

Did she react like that with that rapper as Momo said?