More Than You Think (Nancy)

The Queens
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I shook my head as I watched my best friend try on his suit for his wedding day in a week's time. I never thought the day would come that my friend would beat me to marriage first. I was always the one giving advice to my friends about relationships but in all honesty, I have never held a stable relationship in my own right. Now here I am, a best man for the fourth time in a row for four of my big brothers. We were close since elementary school, to high school, to college, and eventually to work as well. I am very delighted of course for my buddies, but I can't be as much for my own sake since my last relationship was almost three years ago. 

"Come on, you should be happy for me," Jay says out loud with his face still in the mirror while he tries his new suit.

"How am I not happy for you man?" I had to frown and look at him as I shake my head.

"Fourth time's the charm?" Simon who was on the phone earlier with his wife finally decided to join us.

"Come on, I am good," definitely the lie of the year to say this to both of my big brothers, "I mean I don't need a lady right now to be okay, right?"

"Well, we didn't say that, but it's just odd you know?" Simon said as he sits right next to me and put an arm over my shoulder, "Four of your big brothers are all married and our little brother hasn't dated yet, in like what? 3 or 4 years?."

"It's 3," I don't know I even bothered to correct him, "Are you trying to make me feel better or rubbing it in?"

"What he's trying to say, maybe," Jay said as he turns around to look at me, "If that the four of us can find ourselves, ladies who would accept our crazy asses for husbands, then it should be a piece of cake for you to find yours... Eventually... and how do I look?" He finished his words as he turns around to show off his 4th trial of a suit.

"Can we not talk about this?" I know they are just concerned about me but I guess this is just a matter I don't like to talk about, "This is your wedding day bro, this should be about you."

"And there you go again, changing the subject," Simon stood up and walks towards Jay, "Look, you will find one that will love you and cherish you more than you would know. And you look as ugly as ever," Simon ended his sentence as he playfully expressed disgust after looking at Jay up and down in his suit. Jay playfully punched Simon in the gut which made the both of them laugh.

"Dude, I just turned 23," I am that young, 2 years younger than the 3rd brother, 5 years younger than the 2nd brother, and 6 years younger than the oldest, "I have so many options still you know and to well... have fun you know?"

"Uhuh... well he has a point," Simon crossed his arms as he nodded with the point I made, "But not too much fun though, you wouldn't want to end like the both of us," then he proceeds to gesture to both him and Jay. He has a point though, being only a year apart and also being our older brothers, they weren't much of role models when it comes to dating ladies. Well, that changed when they met their current partners, they were whipped. 

"Alright, appreciate it," I gestured an okay sign before walking towards Jay and wiping imaginary dust on Jay's suit, "Hmm... You know what?"

"What?" Jay replied, "I don't blame Jessica if she runs off the altar when she sees in you with that ugly mug in this suit."

"Tf?" Both I and Simon threw a fit of laughter before running as Jay grabbed his shoe then threw it our way as we ran around the boutique.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now here I am a half-hour early for the rehearsal dinner. Through the years of growing up, our parents always told us to always be on time or be earlier than anyone if possible. It's better to be the one waiting rather than being the one that someone waits on, that's what my dad had said when we're kids, and up till now, it is drilled into our skulls. Both Jay and his wife-to-be are already present for the preparations of the rehearsal dinner, and here I am watching Jay dragged around with his fiance, I can't help but chuckle at the sight. He was always keeping the ladies on their toes whenever he comes around, but now the tables have turned so drastically. I guess love does change people, through the evidence I witnessed right in front of me. 

"Will you look at that," I had to jolt in my seat when I heard Seonho's voice talking right in front of me, "Jay dragged around by a girl."

"I know," Simon came behind him and chuckled, "You would've thought huh?"

"Don't act like the both of you weren't like that on your rehearsal dinners," I replied nonchalantly.

"Aw shuddup," Simon light smacked the back of my head as I chuckled, "You will know why when you get that girl one day."

"Yeah bro," Seonho placed both his hands on my shoulders, "You can't run from it, it'll always catch you by surprise."

As if the universe agreed to what Seonho said, a beautiful girl I haven't seen before walked into the room. She rocks an all-black long-sleeved top with a slightly low V-neck, jeans resembling a deep green color, and a bag strapped on her shoulder down to her waist. For an instant, the world seemed to stop moving as I watched her approach her sister with a tight hug then moving over to give my brother a side hug. I didn't even realize I was staring too long until someone tapped my shoulder.

(info: she does not make that expression when she came into the room.. I can only find this pic)

"Well, whadya know?" I shook off from my trance to notice that it was Simon who tapped my shoulder, "It seems you just found yourself someone worth the attention."

"To think we have been talking about him when he's not even in the conversation," Seonho takes an equal amusement to my predicament as he tap my shoulders, "We'll leave you to it."

"Wait... I..." without giving a second for me to defend myself, they took off and went to their wives, leaving me in the open. Like it was rehearsed, the moment my brothers left, she turned my way. I do not know what came over me, but I ducked under the table, quick as a flash.

I don't know how long I was under there when I heard footsteps approaching my way. For some odd reason, I was getting nervous when someone lifted up the table curtain. "What the heck are you doing?" it was Jay, confusion on his face.

"Uh I dropped my phone," I had to think quickly and showed him my phone.

"Right, for a solid 5 minutes?" Jay raised an eyebrow at me.

"Well.. yeah... it was all over the place," I was clearly going on fumes here with my excuses.

"Get your out of there," Jay gestured me to go out from under the table. As I stand up, Simon and Seonho were a few feet away to reenact my disappearing act while laughing to themselves. "I was about to introduce you to Jessica's youngest sister, but since you were busy, she had to leave to get her dress for the night," Jay shook his head as he crossed his arms.

"Oh really?" another mindless excuse I am about to make, "I didn't notice anyone coming in."

"No, but you did notice SOMEONE for a good 2 minutes," Simon approached to stand next to Jay with Seonho close behind.

"The new girl seems to catch our little bro's attention and he kept staring, fervently at that," Seonho said as he wiggled his eyebrows at me.

"Is that so?" Jay raised an eyebrow at me as I had said something the most interesting thing ever when I barely said a word.

"I'm gonna go get changed, my suit is in my car," I turned around and walked off with the clear laughter of my brothers behind me. But who am I kidding, she was just drop-dead gorgeous. I have seen Jessica and Krystal, they are both beautiful, but I have never seen their youngest sister at least until today. She is beautiful but in a very different way.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter