/ˈdrɪzəl/

Chef's Kiss
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

T W E N T Y

Word of the Day – “Drizzle”

 

Miyoung’s stomach churned as soon as the staff started beaming as the bottle went to a complete halt. Of course, she had seen it coming … just not so soon. She had been preparing for the things that she’d make Kyungsoo guess when the mouth of the bottle ever pointed out at her.

But no, luck wasn’t on her side tonight, she got the bottle’s —she was going to guess. She hadn’t prepared herself for that set-up. What was he going to ask her? Would she know any of them? Most importantly, what would these people make her do as a dare if she ever failed?

With a pinched expression, she looked up to meet Doh Kyungsoo’s gaze. “Shoot.” She bit out.

There was a long pause that created a heated tension across the table, all eyes glued at them—most specifically towards Doh Kyungsoo who death-glared in space, drowning in his own thoughts at the moment. “I wanna hear this. Let’s get it on. Come on, chef.” She heard Baekhyun hoot at the end of the table which caught her attention.

She looked at the man who flashed her an animated smile. What was that? Did he know something she didn’t know?

Miyoung observed the other staff who patiently waited, not seemingly having the same approach as Baekhyun had. Phew. “Chef, literally, anything would do. Don’t overthink it. Just give her random stuff to guess.” Minho tapped the frozen solid man who barely even reacted at all, except for a couple of tight blinks.

“No no no, wait—hold up!” Baekhyun spoke up again, shifting all of the attention towards his way. Even Kyungsoo ended up looking at him, his gaze looking more spiteful than the others’.

“Didn’t head chef and Miss Miyoung technically grow up together? They’ve known each other for so long, from what I’ve heard. Am I right? The questions can’t be way too basic like the others have done. It would kill the fun of the game.” The man suggested with an impish grin.

Miyoung’s head dropped as she squeezed her eyes shut, suppressing herself from shutting the man with her fist once and for all.

Of course, the tard had something to say again. He had something to say about everything. He even protested earlier when Minseok gave out an apparent date of his military discharge. According to Baekhyun, since that just occurred earlier this year, it wasn’t going to be fun and Nuri would so easily guess that the date he gave was not correct.

The guy just wanted everything more complicated or in his own words a while ago, spicier.

“That kind of makes sense. They’re basically like siblings.” Soobin agreed. Of course, she was going to agree. The woman worshipped the tard.

Siblings. That term again. Miyoung just discovered her new least favourite word.

To make things worse, all the other staff started nodding along. “Yeah, that’s true. Okay,” Minho snapped his fingers and peered down at Kyungsoo who still had nothing to say. “Chef, make the things you’re going to give her more complex so that it’s basically fair for us since everyone else here doesn’t really know each other as much as you two know each other.” The game master suggested. “You know, just … not basic like likes and dislikes cause I’m sure she’d know it already.” He added lastly.

Miyoung squinted at Kyungsoo who refused to meet her eyes this time. He kept his chin low, his fingertips anxiously drumming on the table. She was slowly running out of patience as the man extended the silence. “You know what, if you can’t think of anything, let’s just switch and I will give you something to gue—”

“First, my cat’s name is Chef.” Kyungsoo interrupted, finally giving her something to think about.

Cat. He’d mentioned that he had a cat before but did he tell her the name? She didn’t think so. Then, that had to be a lie, right? Chef as a pet’s name was the stupidest and the most unoriginal—given his career—idea she’d ever heard of. But then again, it was Doh Kyungsoo, he was weird as anyway.

Finally, Miyoung caught his gaze and the hairs on her back suddenly prickled that she had to peel her eyes away just so she could start thinking more clearly. Kyungsoo laid his palms flat this time, his face gradually easing down into a smile. “Second, I’ve only cried once in my entire adult life.” He continued while drawing imaginary circles on the wooden surface of the table. The other staff nodded in approval, their eyes shifting from him to her multiple times.

The second statement itched a part of her. That had to be a lie. She'd never seen him cry in the last fifteen years she'd known him, obviously excluding the time when she was away, so who knew what could have happened during those times. But even then, she was sure he'd never cried. He wasn't a crier, period. So, maybe the cat's name being Chef may be one of the truths after all? She held the assumptions to herself as she waited for the last statement.

“Ooh, they’re intriguing so far.” Minho nodded in support.

Kyungsoo considered the man for a brief second before drifting his eyes back to her. “Okay … and the last one?” She asked impatiently, already feeling the pressure building up in her entire body. It was difficult and she didn’t expect to have a hard time at all. Miyoung looked up at him and watched as he swallowed hard before saying, “Third, the last time I have ever shared a kiss with another person … meant nothing to me.”

The word nothing echoed in her head painfully. That was it for her. She knew all the answers already. She didn’t even have to think twice. He basically gave it out to her. He was saving her from having to do a dare but for some reason, it only made the aching in her chest worse.

“Ooh, chef, are you saying you had pre-divorce with your ex-wifey before you moved out? Or you finally entered the beautiful world of hookups?” Baekhyun teased while doing a little dance with his shoulders.

It was her. It had to be her that he was talking about. She was the last person he had kissed, literally today … right? If she wasn’t, then he was officially just as much of a manwhore as he claimed the head bartender to be.  

“Alright! Miss Miyoung, tell us your guesses now.” Soobin snorted eagerly.

Some of the staff were already whispering to each other. It was either they were trying to make their own guess for fun … or they were already plotting the dare that they’d give her. Unfortunately to them, she knew all the answers. She didn’t need to do a dare. Kyungsoo didn’t listen to them and made all the statements way too easy for her to figure out … especially the last one. He had already given her the answer to that.

“The second one … was the lie.” Miyoung sighed out. “Then, the first and third ones are the truths.” She finished before breaking their eye contact. “Too easy.” She muttered quietly, pressing her chin against her chest.

With a heavy heart, Miyoung leaned more on her chair while folding her arms across her chest. Now that she had participated in the game, was it okay to leave now?

She wanted to leave. She wanted to hide. There was no point in being present right now, not when she had just allowed Doh Kyungsoo to make her feel some type of way again. She didn’t need to be reminded about the kiss that meant nothing to him. It was cruel. She never thought he had it in him to be cruel. Just when she thought that things were beginning to change for the better between them.

She had let him inside her head again. She was the fool. It was nothing but a one-sided emotion again, naturally.

“Okay, guys. Give her the dare, she failed.” Kyungsoo suddenly announced making her abruptly look up, confusion painting over her face. “What? Why?” She snapped.

The man responded with nothing but a casual

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter