final

when i'm with you

Nothing can possibly be more beautiful than this—watching Joohyun a couple of metres ahead of her, head tilted up and eyes closed, smiling as she takes in the serenity, the cool night air. She takes a deep breath, sighs contentedly, and opens her eyes. Their gazes lock, and Joohyun’s smiling at Seungwan now, extending a hand out, and Seungwan takes it. She draws Seungwan closer, until they’re side by side again, the warmth of Joohyun’s body pressed against hers, and Joohyun’s humming a tune quietly under her breath.

Not for the first time, Seungwan finds herself once again wondering how on earth she’s gotten this lucky.

Of course, Joohyun always directs the same question back at her with a teasing smile, but Seungwan knows that beneath the playful demeanor lies the unspoken truth and a confession that never quite gets old.

 

They walk in companionable silence along the largely empty street, save for a few other couples and office workers. It’s almost midnight, and there’s a special sort of quiet and calm that the hour brings that Seungwan knows the both of them love.

“Is there anywhere you want to go?” Joohyun breaks the silence, and Seungwan hums thoughtfully, looking around. They aren’t exactly headed anywhere per se, but then again, that’s one of the beauties of being with Joohyun—the fact that she feels comfortable floating in the unknown, when Seungwan has always been a bit of a chronic overthinker and worrier.

 

“Anywhere with you works for me.” Seungwan smiles, and laughs as Joohyun rolls her eyes, but the older woman’s trying to hide her smile. Pulling her a little closer, Seungwan drops a chaste kiss near the top of Joohyun’s head, and Joohyun leans into her a little more.

Seungwan hadn’t expected them to last as long as they have. Not that she doesn’t have any faith in their relationship, but more of the fact that her previous experiences had ended rather disastrously, and it almost feels too good to be true that Joohyun is still by her side after four years. Of course, Joohyun had told her otherwise when Seungwan had brought it up a few years ago, and Seungwan hasn’t quite thought about it in a while, nor does she have any doubts now.

She never wants this to end; the feeling of finally feeling at home, the flutters she feels even four years later whenever Joohyun gets adorably excited at the weirdest of things, the way her breath still catches in at the sight of Joohyun curled up by the corner of their couch with a book in her hands, the soft sunlight spilling onto her, and she looks absolutely ethereal.

 

A gentle nudge breaks Seungwan from her thoughts, and she blinks to find Joohyun looking at her expectantly.

“Huh?” She says, a little confusedly, and Joohyun’s lips quirk up in amusement.

“I asked if you were okay.”

Seungwan chuckles. “Yes, I am. Why the sudden question?”

“You just looked like you were thinking about something a lot.”

Seungwan hums noncommittally. “Well, I was.”

“Care to share?”

Seungwan smiles softly. “I was thinking about you.”

Joohyun’s gaze flickers away as she looks away, and there’s a hint of a pink colouring her cheeks.

“Aw, you’re blushing!” Seungwan grins, earning herself a half-hearted slap on the shoulder before Joohyun’s pulling on her arm again, and her steps slow instinctively alongside Joohyun’s.

“What about me were you thinking of?” The curiosity in Joohyun’s voice is barely concealed, and it’s both a little funny and heart-warming how much they still act like a new couple that’s disgustingly in love even after four years; at least, according to their friend Sooyoung they do. Not that Seungwan is inclined to disagree, not at all—it’s really rather more of a compliment, even though Sooyoung claims otherwise, which Seungwan figures is her friend’s own way of showing her affection anyway.

“How happy you make me.” Seungwan says softly, and there’s a sort of tenderness and vulnerability. Joohyun’s looking at her again, and her footsteps slow until they eventually stop. “How beautiful you are, and how happy you make me. How I’m so hopelessly in love with you and I never want to stop feeling like this.” Seungwan continues, and Joohyun’s gaze softens, a gentle smile on her lips, and Seungwan can’t help but smile. “I love you, Joohyun.”

There’s a beat of silence before Joohyun speaks, her voice rough with emotion.

“I love you too, Seungwan.”

Then, she’s pulling Seungwan in, and they’re kissing, and Seungwan is certain that there’s nothing more she can ever want.