Pretty Pink Things

Pretty Pink Things


Luhan in briefs standing at his counter as he eats cereal from the pink flowerly ceramic bowl is not a first for Joonmyeon. In fact it’s been two years now and wow, Joonmyeon stops in the middle of the kitchen doorway and wonder: when did time pass by so fast?

 

“Good morning Myeon. Why are you just standing there like that?” Luhan greets over a mouthful of cereal, milk dripping down the side of his lips and Joonmyeon has the urge to it off. Luhan beats him to it by using his pretty fingers. 

He’d like to those too, even though he’s done it over the course of two years. 

 

“Why are you eating at my counter half ?” He squints at Luhan, moving to the box of cereal left near the stove. 

 

Luhan chuckles and attempts to kick at his legs. Joonmyeon just raises his eyebrows. 

“Should I be fully then? I think that’s how you like me anyways.” His spoon clicks on the bowl as Luhan throws his head back laughing at Joonmyeon’s stunned expression. Joonmyeon throws a few cheerios at the pink haired boy. 

 

“You’re a nuance.” Joonmyeon stands by Luhan and drops a few Cheerios in his mouth, the crunchy sound causing Luhan to give him a look. “What?”

 

He shrugs, “Never cease to amaze me how you eat cereal with no milk.” 

 

“It’s just Cheerios. The others I use milk.” He shuffles his feet. “You should know that.” He mumbles.

 

“What?”

 

“Nothing.” 

 

The crunch of dry cereal and the clink of a spoon against an almost empty ceramic bowl fill their space of silence for a while.

 

 

“Minnie, I and some friends are playing soccer later on at the high school field. Come with me.” Luhan places the bowl in the sink, turning the faucet on so the cereal don’t dry on the bowl. 

 

“Mmh. It’s been while since I’ve played.” He places his bowl over Luhans in the sink. And then he turns to Luhan, soft pink haired Luhan. He’d like to run his fingers through his pretty pink hair but he’s only allowed under certain circumstances. He looks at their feet instead. “But I have work.”

 

“You have work.” Luhan repeats, looking to the sink and nodding. “Next time then.”

 

 

 

Luhan leaves. He leaves Joonmyeon in the quiet studio apartment. He leaves him hoping Luhan can take him wherever he goes. 

 

———

 

Luhan kisses like he’s been starved, hums around Joonmyeon’s mouth so deliciously. It drives Joonmyeon crazy as he runs his hands through Luhan’s soft pink hair. But he can’t focus on it as Luhan pushes against him, grinds against him, and murmurs how bad he needs it “right now, Myeonnie.”

 

The small bed creaks, moves under their weight, and hides Joonmyeon’s pounding heart. 

 

Luhan always falls asleep as soon as their activities ends, curled up against Joonmyeon, breathing softly. 

Joonmyeon likes it when they do it with the lights on because then he gets to see Luhan’s youthful face and doe eyes as ecstasy fill them, as he calls Joonmyeon’s name with those small pretty pink lips. He loves the light because it illuminates Luhan so beautifully. His parted lips as he breathes softly, the sweat glistening in the lights, and he can see Luhan. Hold him and  drink in his beauty and keep this image in his heart. 

Any other times, Joonmyeon can’t do so. 

 

————

 

“Hey, lend me a pen.” 

 

“What do you need a pen for Luhan?”  Joonmyeon looks from his work on his computer to look at Luhan who's  happily kicking his legs in the air from where he’s laying on Joonmyeon’s bed. 

 

“Just lend me one.” 

 

Joonmyeon sighs, reaches in his pink pencil pouch and pulls a pinky pen out. He then throws it on the bed. 

 

He catches Luhan looking at the pen with a slightly small visible smile, twirling the pen between his fingers. He raises the pen as he looks at Joonmyeon, smile a little wider. 

 

“It’s a pretty pink pen.” 

 

Joonmyeon nods, not sure what to say. 

“Take care of it.” 

 

Joonmyeon returns to his work and leaves Luhan to whatever he’s doing with the pretty pink pen. 

 

Soon after, Luhan pulls a chair next to Joonmyeon. He seats at the end of the desk, avoiding messing up Joonmyeon’s laid out books and whatnot. He places his chin on his palm and watches. Just watches quietly.

 

“The way you focus is so admirable.” Luhan hums.

 

“Thanks?” Joonmyeon chances a look at him. The pen now resting on his ear. He’s cute. Joonmyeon smiles. 

 

“Yeah. Desk jobs,” he shakes his head, laughing a little. 

 

“I know they’re not for you.” Joonmyeon laughs, typing as he does so. 

 

“Definitely not. Glad I can teach P.E cause whoooo, I’d probably make a company go bankrupt.”

 

They laugh. 

 

“I wouldn’t put it past you. Couldn’t even sit still in class if it wasn’t P.E or that dance course they made us take.” 

 

“Ahh thanks goodness for those. They made me graduate.” 

 

Joonmyeon laughs then, head thrown back a little, his eyes shut tight. And Luhan, chin still on his palm looks on with a serene face.

 

Joonmyeon opens his eyes when he feels cold fingers on his skin. 

Luhan has scooted closer, pretty fingers tracing his arms and Joonmyeon’s breath hitches even as his eyebrows furrows at Luhan’s actions. 

 

Luhan takes the pretty pink pen from his ear and pops the cap off. He draws small lines on Joonmyeon’s skin. The press of the pen making him flinch. Luhan draws smiley faces and silly ones. A few stars and a few hearts. One with an arrow through it and small doe eyes next to them. 

 

Luhan nods, pleased at his doodles.

 

“Luhan. What’s this for?”

 

“Don’t wash it away.” Luhan smiles at him, holding his gaze. “Let it fade slowly.”

 

“You want me to not shower?”

 

“Put a plastic bag over it or something.”

 

“You’re crazy.”

 

“Don’t erase it, Myeon.”

 

———

 

They don’t see each other for two days, so Luhan doesn’t know that Joonmyeon didn’t wash that arm. Doesn’t know that he traces the doodles and remembers Luhan’s warmth on his skin. Luhan doesn’t know how he cherished that arm more than he ever did in his life.

 

Next time they see each other, Joonmyeon is exhausted and coming from his office in the metropolitan area. 

Briefcase in hand, suit clinging to him with sweat, and exhaustion wearing him down, Joonmyeon knocks on Luhan’s door in the early night of 7pm. 

He knocks several times before the door is opened. 

Luhan is in his pjs, blue and comfy on him. 

 He enters the apartment, toes his shoes off and leaves the briefcase by the door. Easy excess for when he needs to leave. 

 

Luhan pats his back, “Rough day?”

 

Joonmyeon nods. “I’m hungry.”

 

“You know where kitchen is.” Luhan chuckles. 

 

“I want to shower first.”

 

“You know where that is too.” Joonmyeon pulls his ties off and he catches Luhan biting his lips. Then he clears his throat, moving to the red couch and resuming his show. 

 

Joonmyeon wishes Luhan would look at him even when they’re not being of benefits to each other. 

 

He showers with thoughts of Luhan. Pretty Luhan who made him laugh. Luhan with his soft pretty pink hair, beautiful lips and doe eyes. Luhan who smelled wonderful, Luhan whom he wanted forever. 

 

It’s when he’s drying his arm off that he notices and really, really he doesn’t notice that he starts to cry. He crunches down in the middle of Luhan’s room and bawls.  

 

There are warm arms around him and  voice asking him what’s the matter. 

But Joonmyeon can’t think over his painful heart. 

 

“Myeonnie, what happened?” Luhan pries his hands off his face. “Did your coworkers give you a hard time?”

 

He shakes his head. He holds out his arm.

 

“What’s wrong with your arm?” Luhan takes his hand in his own. Joonmyeon looks at him tear-stricken. 

 

“You said not...not to wa....wash it off.” 

 

Luhan’s eyes gleam with realization. 

“It’s oka...”

 

“It’s not okay! Those doodles made me so happy and gave me hope. And now they’re gone.”

 

“Myeon.” Joonmyeon shakes his head. Luhan gets up and rummage through his drawers and then he’s back in front of Joonmyeon. He sits them down on the floor, sitting in front of Joonmyeon and taking his arms into his. Luhan pulls his towel over him before giving Luhan a warm sweet smile. 

 

“What are you doing?”

 

Luhan wiggles the pen between his fingers, “Pretty pink pen to the rescue. Give me a second.”

 

Joonmyeon sniffles as the pen’s pressure on his arm moves about, Luhan’s fingers soft on his skin. 

Luhan doodles, filling more area on his arm this time.  He takes his time, worriedly looking at Joonmyeon occasionally and then ruffling his wet strands. 

 

“Almost finished, alright?”

 

Joonmyeon nods with a hum. 

 

“Finished, take a look.”

 

Joonmyeon traces the doodles of stars, shapes, flowers, and so many more. But what surprises him is what’s in the middle of his arm, surrounded by all these other doodles. 

 

A few small hearts. And then a bigger one with an arrow through it and doe eyes next to it. Underneath the heart is written “Can I be your boyfriend?”

 

Joonmyeon’s hands automatically covers his mouth, eyes wide at Luhan, questioning.

Luhan scratches at his neck, chuckling nervously.

 

“It’s long overdue, isn’t it?” He looks at Joonmyeon, taking his hand into his. “ I was quite unsure but... you crying reassured me that those lingering gazes of yours and the way you hold me after falling asleep isn’t my imagination. It’s long overdue and I know for sure how I feel about you. I love you, Myeon. I do.”

 

Joonmyeon shakes his head. “I...,” he squeezes Luhan’s hands. “I’ve never seen any lingering gazes from you to me.”

 

Luhan smiles sheepishly, “You always avoid my gazes.” 

 

Joonmyeon smiles. Luhan’s hand in his, under these circumstances is the same as when they’re and on each other under his lights. Warm. 

“Only if I can also be your boyfriend.”

 

“What ?” Luhan’s shake his head.

 

“You can be my boyfriend. But I also want to be your boyfriend.” 

 

“Your wish is my command.” Luhan chuckles, cradling Joonmyeon’s face in his pretty small hands and kissing him. Softly and lovingly, Joonmyeon’s fingers now in his soft pretty pink hair. 

A smile blooms on his lips.

 

 

 

 

- SUHAN ^.^  Pink is now their color. 
 

* Thank you for reading ^.^