One

Just to feel you close
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

One

 

"Irene-ssi please look over here!"

 

"Irene-ssi are those rumours true?"

 

Rowdy fans, relentless and invasive paparazzi surrounded the young model. Her silky dark brunette hair flapped in the wind as she sultry made her way out of the airport. To many, Bae Irene's good looks and pure confidence contributed to her screen image. But there was also a grace and an elegance she carried with her. She is the one who can walk into a room and immediately attract everyone’s attention. She is the types of models whose faces were completely unforgettable— that any client should rightfully lose their mind to have.

Though she seemed unaffected, Irene felt somewhat suffocated when being photographed by the paparazzi right now. Believe it or not, even being a celebrity, Irene doesn't like to assert her presence all the time, she likes to keep her life private, and the thought of being the center of attention actually scares her. And ever since that polemic, paparazzi seemed to have made it their priority to follow her around to catch as many of the Irene Bae oops moments as possible wherever she goes. The model has been proning herself to criticism over everything that happened. Her passion compels her to express herself in a deliberate manner so she can appear tough to other people. But it is not her intention, generally speaking, to be difficult and exacting when it comes to her work. Irene built a career entirely on her own and it's a world that belongs to nobody but her. 

 

Getting through the parking lot, a small crowd turned out to greet the star. And of course, Irene made time to sign autographs and smiled graciously to the fans and admirers even if she was exhausted. She's been grateful to them and the only thing that kept her sane during these rough days were definitely her fans. They always supported her through everything. Working with the world's leading fashion designers, having multi-million dollar modeling contracts with several modeling agencies around the world,  Irene was overbooked. She was being constantly in the move and these trips overseas made these past weeks a non-stop motion of turbulence for the model. She would find the industry a difficult place— switching from numerous booking jobs. Her longest job was 23 hours and she experienced restless days and nights with the pressure of her mental health withering after that polemic.So, Irene was glad that she can finally catch a small break. She needed it so her fans won't catch her in her days of vulnerability. 

 

After a reminder from her manager that it's time to leave, the model bid them goodbye and got in the car. Irene peered at the night city streets from the plush interiors of the hired limo as she succumbed in deep thoughts. She was tired and couldn't wait to go home after socializing for a few weeks. All she wanted to do was take off those jeans and wear those comfy sweats again, wipe off all that makeup that has to sit on her face for 10 hours.

 

“Aren't you glad to be back?” A voice cut her off her reverie, it was her manager, “He must have missed you a lot.”
 

“Who?” Irene questioned and amusement passed over her the other woman's face.
 

“Chanyeol.” she reminded her. Then she added more abashed when Irene just blinked in confusion.

 

 “Your boyfriend...?” 

 

Oh right. Her boyfriend. Irene checked her phone to see if he responded to her last text but nothing. That was expected. Being extremely busy and overbooked, Irene found herself forgetting about being in a relationship and she'll understand if he was upset. Honestly, she didn't really know why she gave it a try. She has always been a woman who's completely content with being on her own. Her approach to relationships has been a bit unorthodox in the past, and this erratic mindset of always putting herself first no matter what was the sole reason of many of her past failed relationships. Afterall, Bae Irene would never sacrifice her dreams, her happiness, or her sanity in order to stay in a relationship. She wouldn't call her conceited or selfish, there is just an enormous difference in being selfish, and valuing yourself. If her independence silently intimidates men, then that's their problem.

Chanyeol was different though. He's been supportive and didn't neglect the encompassing shell of a place she made as the source of her identity. He is patient and understanding. He always respected her boundaries unlike other men who desesperately tried to court and rush her. While there’s a part of her that is painfully closed off, there’s another part of her that still wants love and affection. Romance. Find someone and share a life with. So, she gave it a shot to this whole dating thing because why not? Chanyeol is sweet and caring, not mentioning a really good looking man. He is cute in a nerdy kind of way and he didn't give Irene any red flags or any reason not to trust him. Being more open with her feelings is a trait she's willing to work on. Though, emotionally speaking she still has a long way to go, they eventually decided to move in together. Irene might not cooperate well with words, but this was her way of telling him that she was comfortable enough to let him in her world. Yet, the idea of admitting missing his presence to her manager right now was not feasible. Even so, openly gushing over her partner was just something she can't picture herself doing. Irene's gaze returned to the outside world, the emotions weren’t that easily identified. Not that it mattered.

“I'm just exhausted.” she whispered at last and the rest of the drive was silent.

 

The driver hung a right into the alley that leads to the private area where mostly celebrities live before pulling over. The apartments was arranged in courtyards with the highest building rising to five storeys, including the penthouse level. She thanked the driver and manager for their hard work and headed to her luxurious penthouse which was accessible via a private elevator.

If she was expecting her boyfriend to be here, the sight of another person greeted her as well. A woman to be more precise. Chanyeol was laughing about whatever the brunette short haired girl was talking about animatedely. They were too engrossed in their conversation that they didn't perceive her presence. Irene doesn't consider herself as a jealous or insecure person but she can't help but doubt the situation she was in. The fact that another woman, a beautiful one she might add, was the reason he didn't respond to her text. If Irene hated one thing the most is being caught off guard. She's not assuming anything but it maddened her tremendously because she was exhausted and now she has to gather energy to ask for explanations.

 

As if he noticed her hard glare, the tall man finally aknowledge her.

 

“Babe, you're back!” he rushed towards her with a dazzling smile and hugged the petite woman as if having a complete stranger at her house without telling her was completely normal.

 

When Irene tensed at the touch against her will, Chanyeol pulled away and saw her girlfriend's eyes trailing over his shoulder. Smiling slightly, Irene didn’t ask. Her eyes returning to Chanyeol's, they silently demanded explanation.

 

”Oh right.”

 

Turning around, he dragged Irene towards the newcomer for a proper introduction that appeared nothing but grueling for the model at this moment. Irene hated socializing. She has been doing that for weeks and it the hell out of her energy.

 

”This is Wendy. She was one of my great friend back in high school”

 

“Hi, nice to meet you!” The outsider beamed in a way as innocent as a kid would and she bowed like Irene came from a royal family, “Chanyeol told me a lot about you and I wanted to say that you're absolutely beautiful.”

 

Irene was taken back by the girl's overflowing liveliness. It was sure a whole different vibe that she gives. The model tried to smile warmly at her, but it turned more into a grimace.

 

“Thank you,” she eventually responded out of politeness.

 

“Can you believe that when I mentioned about you, Wendy didn't even know who you were.” Chanyeol laughed a bit, his laughter ending in a slight wince when Wendy hit his arm.

 

“What?” he continued to chuckle, “My girlfriend is part of Korea's five top model and not only her name but even her face has been on every side of the world. You are just a cavewoman!”

 

It's not that Irene wasn't appreciative of the compliments but she never was comfortable in front of people she doesn't know and Chanyeol is not making things easier at this point by showing her off like that. Shifting at her discomfort, Irene tried to cast a weak, faint smile.

 

“I'm going to my bedroom.” she said, not sure how exactly she had ended up in such a decidedly unpleasant position. But when she was about to head towards her room, a hand firmly clamped on her wrist. The gesture made her flinch and she could see that realization dawned at the culprit. 

 

“Sorry!” Wendy hurried on and let go of her arm like she just touched fire, “Um... I made dinner and Chanyeol told me you love tteokbokki so please have a bite” The bright girl suggested with a movie star smile.

 

Now that Irene takes a closer the look of the woman in front of her, she can affirm that Wendy radiates something immensely friendly. She was a little woman, with brown, irresistible soft hair and she had prominent dark eyes but they gave no impression of any dimness but extreme warmness instead. The most remarkable thing about her was definitely her smile. Wendy had a lovely smile and she seems like a person who's vital, interested in everybody and everything, in contrast to Irene's apparent indifference to anything. They are just way too different. And it was kind of disorienting. Irene couldn't help but doubt this kind of behavior. It wasn't her fault to be judgmental and wary of anyone. After working in the industry, it'd become very hard to separate a genuine person who wants to be friends from many of the million wannabe friends who may want to befriend her their personal gain. All she can do now is dismissing any further conversation. She doesn't want any problem so not talking was the best option, to avoid an eventual misunderstanding for whatever she says or how she acts. She would just stay polite and courteous but that's all.

 

“I'm fine but thank you, I'm a little bit worned out." Irene cut their conversation short and offered an apologetic smile before heading to her room without waiting for another reply.

 

“Wow,” Wendy cheerfully exclaimed once Irene was gone, “She is gorgeous!”


 

“I know, right?” Chanyeol returned with a chirpy tone, eyebrows wriggling, “She can be kind of a cold, though, so sorry about that ” he added, almost as an afterthought. “But she's not a bad person.”


 

“Never thought she was.” Wendy said sincerely, “She must be tired, I understand.”

 

Irene is a busy person and she might feel constant pressure by being subjected to hyper-criticism all the time so Wendy understands if Irene wants to make herself little around strangers. 
 

 

“I'm going to talk to her, you don't have to worry.” The taller man voiced out, “You can stay as long as you can.”
 

 

“I'm sorry to cause you trouble, I just-”
 

 

“You don't have to apologize.” he interjected softly, stepping closer to squeeze Wendy's shoulder as a form of reassurance, “Helping you is not a burden. You know i'm always here for you.”

 

Wendy nodded and muttered a small thank you. She was glad that Chanyeol was such a nice friend to her. She doesn't know what she'll do if he wasn't there.

 

“I'll be right back.” he declared and retraced his steps out of the living room and went to join his girlfriend. Chanyeol closed the door and leaned against it as he watched Irene unpack her bags  and place the contents into the dresser drawers.

 

“Wendy is a great cook... you don't know what you're missing.”

 

Irene glanced at him for a second before responding with a shrug as she shifted her attention back on her task.

 

“Are you by any chance...” he tried to keep the question light, but the smirk flashing over Chanyeol's lips betrayed the playful tone he attempted to conceal, "jealous?”

 

“Are you trying to make me?” she returned, “Because it didn't work.” 

 

It was said in such an unbothered haste that Chanyeol felt a pinch in his heart. They've been together for one year and the way Irene shows her affection is pretty... special. He can tell that she cares about him but at the same time, he can not... Irene never gets jealous or she just doesn't want to show it. The beautiful woman was always unreadable and transparent in these moments. Maybe Irene just trusts Chanyeol a lot which, the taller man should be glad. But sometimes it's nice to know that your lover can be a little bit jealous.

 

Chanyeol continued as if he wanted to get a reaction from her.

 <

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter