Chapter 3

By the Beach

It was a Sunday, she invited herself through the kitchen door that led from the porch that was almost perfectly mirroring hers too ---maybe Suho built it when they had finally fallen, or Yeri and Sehun’s grandparents built it for convenience for the family, or Seulgi and Yixing might have mean well for the tourist to interact, or maybe Chanyeol and Baekhyun really had such a great bond for them to build it like this. Nevertheless, Wendy and I had never talked about it, we have never had conversations about the house after we’ve heard of the latter---

She did this every Sunday and I didn’t mind. Every time, she didn’t fail stand in front of the reasonably massive glass wall that showed another perfect view of the beach. It would be another image of her like the one I had mentioned except this was quick and more subtle. Nevertheless, I never failed to notice it and take note of it every time.

I walked to her with 2 glasses of water in my hands. “Here, I’m sure you forgot to have your morning water again.” Handing out her glass she turned her head to face me. Her eyes of familiarity but still with hint of surprise. She smiled, “I did. Thank you.” She took her glass from my hand.

She chugged hers down as I bit my lips feeling the roughness from the dehydration of 8 hours being deprived from water. She set her glass down to the coffee table beside the couch. Her smile with her lips too glossy and hydrated from someone who had just woken up and even forgot her morning hydration.

You’d take me for a creep but it was about almost always like that. I don’t consume myself with a time and time glances to her lips but I could hardly picture her with lips paled or dehydrated from any endeavors. 

I glance away as the doorbell rang an alarm that someone was by the door, I didn’t know why but it had me hesitating when I saw her look at me by then. With a little inner conflict, I walked towards the door. Opening it with Sohyun and what seemed like a cooked good packed in a container held on her hands.

“Sohyun, hi…” I stole a quick glance at Wendy who seemed like was busying herself with my vinyl collection, I looked back at Sohyun “what a nice surprise”

“Hi I just remembered when you told me you live alone. And I just thought I could spare your time of cooking and offer this to you.” She reached out the packed good and I hesitated accepting it. But I realized how much trouble it must have cost her so I accepted it all too well with a grateful smile like I wasn’t hesitating just a second ago. She eventually returned the smile having me relieved of how I could have offended her.

I made an effort of inviting her but she turned it down saying she needed to make her way to church too. I won’t lie that I was relieved, I had never spent my Sundays with anyone. Well, anyone but Wendy but she’s, my neighbor. I couldn’t keep Sohyun more from her plans so I gave her my nod and thanked her for the food.

Closing the door, I stood there for a while before I walked straight to the kitchen settling the pack on the counter that separated the kitchen from the spacious living room. From the corner of my I eyes I could see her walk towards me from the glass wall, settling her elbows on the counter and her body leaning across the counter and towards me.

“You didn’t tell me you were flirting with someone,” teasing me, she tossed an almond to the air which perfectly landed in as she made barely any efforts for it to. I couldn’t help myself smile, “I’m not flirting with anyone. And before you can even ask me, Yes, I can flirt.” I never thought we would have this conversation. Even with the comfortable relationship we had we never talked anything about us outside the houses. We talk about random subjects; hobbies, food, sports, the beach and we do have casual talks with what the world has to offer but never about us outside this world of ours. I didn’t, so did she. It was weird how she opened that door naturally as if we always opened it from time to time.

I didn’t want it to be another thought of her that would linger in me, yet it didn’t fail to, again.