final.

i thought our story will end up happily

 

It’s cold.

 

So cold.

 

Much colder being left out in the middle of a raging snowstorm all alone by yourself at midnight.

 

It feels colder than that. Much more terrifying than that. Very dark than that.

 

Minjoo’s cold gaze is more intense than all of that. Yujin concluded.

 

She never stares at Yujin like this, she will never dare. Minjoo’s eyes were all sparkly whenever she stared at her, the light in her eyes never faltered, it always remained glimmering in contentment and happiness—be it when they were on bad terms, worse situations, happy moments. As long as they were together, Minjoo would always eye her like Yujin’s her everything.

 

But that was before.

 

Before everything happened, before they got into a car accident a few months ago on their way home after having a fantastic date, before Minjoo woke up with having no recollection of her past, having no memories remained about Yujin—even the tiniest detail of her… none, all gone—stuck in this certain hidden part of her brain, or worse, all erased forever.

 

All the sparkles, the light, the passion, the happiness, the contentment, the warmth in her soft honey orbs—same as her memories for the last five years, it all vanished like it all got taken off from Minjoo’s existence.

 

None is left.

 

Now, Minjoo continuously threw her glares across the table in utter silence. The warm honey orbs that Yujin loves was then replaced by cold and blank ones, and it kept eyeing her like she’s some sort of criminal, someone who’s not trustworthy, a harmful stranger that she should avoid at all costs.

 

That made Yujin shift on her seat uncomfortably, clasping her trembling hands together as she nervously on her lower lip. She can’t even stare directly at those soulless eyes anymore, it makes her shiver, it makes her uncomfortable.

 

This Minjoo in front of her is way different. She’s not the old Minjoo nor the Minjoo she loves but rather… a new one. It scares Yujin.

 

She caressed the silver ring on her ring finger, it’s her wedding ring. The most prized possession Yujin owns. The thing she treasures the most alongside the anklet Minjoo gave her on their first monthsary.

 

Her nervous eyes darted on Minjoo’s dainty fingers, slender and elegantly clasped together while resting on the table. No ring at sight wrapped around her ring finger at all.

 

Yujin’s heart dropped. A sting passed through her both eyes, tears started to form but she held it—the last thing she wanted is for Minjoo to learn that she’s going to wail over her, not wearing their wedding ring.

 

Minjoo never takes it off. She shows it off proudly to other people even, boasting how her wife gave her the perfect ring for her.

 

Then, Minjoo’s hands moved and that made Yujin snap back into reality, blinking away the tears as she tipped her chin up a bit to see what the other woman was doing.

 

Yujin silently watched her wife rummaging through her bag, heart racing abnormally. Her breath hitched when Minjoo suddenly took out a piece of paper from the said bag, immediately placing it gently in front of Yujin with a poker face.

 

The taller woman almost laughed, bloodshot eyes lowering down to inspect the paper which she already had a hunch that it’s something very, very bad. And she’s right. As expected, it is what it is.

 

Divorce paper.

 

And Minjoo wants for her to sign it, right now.

 

Yujin’s world shattered as she shakily picked the paper up with her trembling fingers and started to read the contents of it closer, trying to control her tears, the harsh beating of her heart, the want of throwing up. It’s all too much for her.

 

“Y-You…” Yujin muttered with a shaking voice, slowly lowering the paper down as all of her strength washed out of her whole-being after reading it. “You want me to sign this? Just like that?” She weakly added, her free hand balling into a fist, clenching tight until it turned white, until her short nails dug into her flesh.

 

Minjoo gave her a blank look, pity is faint but Yujin could see through her. “Yes. This… marriage… is nothing but bull anymore.” She responded coldly and Yujin could feel the veins on her neck popping from holding back too much.

 

She shouldn’t shout at Minjoo, she vowed to never shout at her lovely wife but extreme emotions got the best of her.

 

“You, asking me to sign this divorce paper, is bull!” Yujin snapped, eyes wide in anger and betrayal, her chest contracting painfully. “You’re going to throw off our marriage of two years and not just that, even our relationship of five years!?” Her voice cracked, as well as her heart.

 

Minjoo just looked away. “I have a valid reason, Yujin. That’s why I’m calling it off.” She replied, eyeing the small flower pot placed on the center of the table.

 

Yujin almost slammed her hand on the table, but she held herself, not wanting to scare Minjoo. “Because you can’t remember me!? That’s absolute crap, Ahn Minjoo.” She yelled, eyeing the other woman across the table in disbelief.

 

Minjoo noticeably flinched when Yujin called her, Ahn Minjoo, and not Kim Minjoo.

 

When Minjoo didn’t respond and never met her eyes again. Yujin deflated, shoulders slumping in defeat. “Y-You didn’t even try that hard to remember me… Why?” She weakly croaked out.

 

Finally, tears started to spill out from her eyes, falling endlessly on her cheeks, drops of it landing on her clothed thigh. “You… I did my all, I did my best to help you remember me…” She whispered, lowering her head so Minjoo wouldn’t see her pathetically sobbing. “But why…?” Confusion lingered around her tone, desperate.

 

“Give up, Yujin.” Minjoo softly muttered, too soft that Yujin almost fell from her seat.

 

That marked the limit of Yujin’s patience and temper. She stood up, marching over to Minjoo’s side and looked down at her with her puffy red eyes—betrayal, love, anger, and disappointment are written all over it. “I won’t ing give you up, Minjoo. Not our marriage, I will never give us up.” Yujin said with a tone of finality, burning in determination.

 

Minjoo shook her head, gritting her teeth and she almost looked hurt… She kept shaking her head like she was trying to convince Yujin that her decision was firm and final, yet it felt like she was trying to convince herself from something else.

 

Yujin took a lungful of air before stepping closer to Minjoo, feeling a little bit dizzy because of the emotions she’s feeling all at once and it felt nice that she got to reach this close to Minjoo again that she could smell her vanilla mixed jasmine scent.

 

“I know that the Minjoo I love is there, stuck and unable to free herself because of the brainwashing your parents did, the brainwashing Chaeyeon did to you! They corrupted you, I know that! They don’t want me for you, I know that!” Yujin exploded, clenching her fists at her side, gulping down the lump on .

 

Minjoo’s breath hitched but she never said anything, even showing a pen and letting it rest on top of the paper. Yujin could only stare at her helplessly, wiping her tears with the sleeves of her shirt but it was useless since the tears just kept falling down.

 

“The Minjoo you love is long gone.” Minjoo whispered quietly, almost an audible murmur. Yujin’s shattered heart even got crushed into pieces after hearing that.

 

The older yet shorter woman let out a tired sigh, shaking her head softly as she tilted her chin up and met Yujin’s broken gaze, almost looking away. “She’s long gone… I’m not her anymore, I’m not your wife… I don’t remember you, I don’t have feelings for you, I don’t love you at all. That’s for sure.”

 

Yujin almost fell into her knees, dumbfounded.

 

Minjoo continued, and another round of stabs in her broken heart and tugs of her soul, wanting to leave her body because of too much pain. “I tried too, you know? But… it never came back at all, Yujin. So, rather than give you further false hope, let’s end it here.” She added, taking a deep breath before muttering something.

 

“Do us both a favor and set me free, so you’ll stop hurting.”

 

Yujin’s sight almost went dark, her ears rang for a moment. For sure, she already lost her soul. She already lost it alongside her heart.

 

There was a few seconds of awkward silence filled with heavy tension. Minjoo didn’t dare to look back though, finding the flower more interesting than her… wife, standing frozen beside her.

 

“Will this make you happy?”

 

It’s broken and weak.

 

Minjoo bit her inner cheek. “Yes. This will make me happy, Yujin. Set me free, please.” She pleaded, turning her head a bit to look at the other woman.

 

Yujin nodded mutely, silently walking over the previous side and sat back to her seat, letting out a defeated sigh. “Okay,” She murmured, it’s full of hesitance but nevertheless, Minjoo will take it.

 

The younger woman took the pen and the paper close to her and finally started to sign, trembling as she felt a lump on but she tried her best to make it neat. She doesn’t want to embarrass Minjoo.

 

She stopped signing, tilting her chin up a bit to meet Minjoo’s gaze. Cold and blank. Yujin’s gaze is also blank, full of pain. “But promise me one thing…” She muttered weakly.

 

Minjoo wordlessly nodded, clearing a bit as she signalled her to continue by nodding. Yujin bit her lower lip.

 

“Keep your own wedding ring, please and our anklets. Take good care of it…” She whispered before handing the signed paper back to Minjoo, looking absolutely defeated.

 

She surrendered, for the sake of Minjoo’s happiness. She’ll give everything up, even if it’s their marriage. She’ll give it away just to make the woman she loves to be happy.

 

Even if it hurts so bad.

 

Minjoo quietly took the paper and put it in her bag before nodding timidly, “Then, I will,” She promised, heaving a sigh before standing up from her seat. Since the business is done, she can now leave.

 

Without a word, Minjoo walked towards the door with her every step making a clicking noise because of her heels, fading away as she reached the exit. Yujin just let her do it, not giving her one last look.

 

And when the door was opened, she hissed. And when the door was then closed with a soft thud, Yujin lost it.

 

Minjoo didn’t even take a good look around their shared apartment, this is where she used to live with Yujin for years but she didn’t even bat an eye on it, she did not make an effort to roam her gaze around and try to reminisce. She couldn’t recognize her home.

 

Yujin was left there at the dining table, sobbing pitifully as she continuously wailed for Minjoo’s name, pathetically asking her to come back to her. But what has been done… is already done…

 

Because of one stupid accident, this all happened.

 

The universe must’ve loved toying them.

 

Yujin tried her best to process the fact that she lost Minjoo, her greatest love, her wife…

 

She couldn’t. It’ll haunt her forever.

 

It’s cold in their once so-called shared apartment, the both of them used to call home.

 

Very dark.

 

And lonely.

 

Yujin could still smell the faint scent of jasmine and vanilla around her home.

 

Traces of Minjoo are still there, imprinted everywhere.

 

But… it’s not enough… it will never be enough. It made her even more desperate to make Minjoo come back.

 

Yujin fell asleep with swollen eyes, broken heart, and soulless while thinking of her lovely Minjoo and her charming smile that never fails to make Yujin’s heart skip a beat. And the happy ending she thought they will have.

 

It’s so lonely and cold that night, she didn’t even dream about the happy ending she desperately seeked for. And for sure, starting since—she’s going to be lonely and cold every single night. Without Minjoo, who can warm her up?

 

No one.

 

//

 

A/N: just wrote this impulsively last night after oomf made me watch ‘The Vow’. somehow, i was relieved with the ending but my wicked brain went, ‘aint it better if it’s something very, very painful?’ and i went, ‘oh yea!’ and here we are~

 

sorry for the mistakes, just rushed proofreading it lmao