When all else fails...

I'm Not Her Type
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Thank you for the comments! It's nice to hear what you guys think.

Hope you enjoy the update. And sorry in advance for the mistakes. So here goes....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeongyeon diligently removes small pieces of kernels off of her hair without any hint of either frustration or anger about the current situation she has been unexpectedly placed in. She still doesn’t get it, doesn’t get how she ended up doused in buttered popcorn, but she did, and Mina seemed as surprised as she was. 

She glances at the worried culprit standing at the side, a smile painting Jeongyeon's face as she spots Mina being all antsy(not quite with what she is used to). It's cute, really cute, Jeongyeon thinks, laughing a little, finding Mina’s current state quite adorable for someone who is always calm and proper.

Mina stiffens at the corner every single time she catches that curious glance looking into her direction. She stands by, quietly, watching Jeongyeon shake the remaining pieces off, all the while regretting her earlier action. 

She never meant for it to happen. Well, truthfully Mina did, but not in a way that it covered almost all of Jeongyeon’s turquoise hair with the buttery salty treat.

It wasn’t supposed to be exaggerated, but as Mina now learned that when in character, it surprisingly ends up being that. And a kernel covered Jeongyeon just happens to be a by-product of her remarkable acting. 

At least what Mina has deduced it to as(remaining a little too optimistic for something so obviously reckless and stupid)

“Well,” Jeongyeon starts, and Mina hardly moves from her spot, her optimism slowly vanishing at the tone. “How?”

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to.”

“Hey, you don't have to apologize really.” She reassures with a smile but adds curiously, “I’m just wondering you know.”

Mina wants the topic to die down, but Jeongyeon seems to be clinging onto that little incident and she really isn’t keen on having Jeongyeon doubting each of her actions, especially when a lot of her plans for today are questionable.

The regret she has no longer there, neither does the nervousness as she looks at Jeongyeon in the eyes and forces out a smile as she speaks in a manner that intends for the interrogation to stop, “I got scared.”

Jihyo would have probably understood that tone, but Jeongyeon isn’t Jihyo. Because unlike Jihyo, Jeongyeon is a skeptical being, one thing Mina realizes right now as she gets to see that eyes squint back.

Mina doesn’t really get it, doesn’t get how Jeongyeon manages to be unaffected by her actions; actions that mostly would have anyone stopping, fluttering from the smile she let out, and nervously turning away as they change the topic. 

But Jeongyeon did none of that, because the next thing Mina hears is that same dubious tone asking again, “At that scene?”

Jeongyeon isn’t really letting it go, and it simply frustrates Mina further. Not because Jeongyeon is starting to be irritating but more on how the constant questions reminds Mina of her stupid little mistake that she is eager to forget right about now.

Mina challenges the inquisitive gaze with her own piercing ones, replying, “Yes, Jeongyeon. Am I not allowed to?”

"You are but…"

 

---x----

Mina’s getting impatient. It’s been more than an hour already and nothing has happened between them, and by that Mina means Jeongyeon has never looked in her direction. Her roommate has been too preoccupied by the movie(Mina has no clue what it is about) to even take notice of her; of Mina who has been eyeing Jeongyeon for so long she wonders how she hasn’t been caught by her.

She lets out a long groan, low enough for Jeongyeon not to hear. This isn’t exactly what she had in mind when she asked Jeongyeon for a movie. Her plans aside, she expected some skin touching, how Jeongyeon’s arms would accidentally graze hers as they both lay on the arm rest, or the exchanging of opinions as the movie plays or simply having Jeongyeon fixated on her.

But nothing close to those happened, no arms grazing, no muffled conversation, no eye contact, just a constant ‘you want some?’ thrown minutes in between.   

And although the expectation fell short, Mina still couldn’t help the smile decorating her face. Jeongyeon, as frustrating as she unknowingly can be, is so damningly adorable looking all too engrossed by the movie(that Mina has lost interest in minutes into the screen). 

Mina sighs. Maybe she can’t have everything she expected,  but seeing another side of Jeongyeon is probably way better than all of them. And maybe, just maybe, if she can be clumsy right now, she can have Jeongyeon all together.

Hands grip onto the bucket a little tighter. It isn’t the best idea out there but it seems, well… -appropriate for what Mina wants to achieve, because clumsiness aside, she does want Jeongyeon looking her way. 

And in a count of three, Mina screams, deliberately spilling the popcorn all over the place(more into Jeongyeon’s side)

---x----

 

"but… it's a dramatic movie."

Mina rolls her eyes, fights back from uttering something she’s sure she’d regret. Of course, Mina knows it’s a dramatic movie, she’s the one who picked it. And she’s well aware how lame her excuse was. If Jihyo is here, she’d be joining her friend in laughing at how pathetic her attempt was. 

Mina was trying to be clumsy, but Jeongyeon didn't seem to notice. Because for one, that roommate of hers isn’t falling for that little reckless charm, she is questioning it. God, how she managed to mess this up is really beyond her.

“I feel things.” is the best reply Mina manages to formulate, at least what she thought was best, because hearing it actually feels a little less great. But that didn’t stop Mina from putting up a straight face and a convincing expression, hopefully enough for Jeongyeon not to say anything.

Then again Jeongyeon doesn’t need to say anything, that crooked grin on her face says a lot already. 

“Don’t” Mina is quick on the draw.

“What?” Jeongyeon raises both hands in defense, suppressing the laughter that dares to escape. “I haven't said anything.”

“You’re about to.”

The accusation proves to be correct as Jeongyeon only burst out laughing, the sound pissing Mina a little off. 

But Mina holds back any urges to get that point across, it's too early to show her true colors. After all, she isn't here to argue, isn't here to tell Jeongyeon how insanely frustrating it already is to capture just a tiny bit of her affection, because it is. It is also excruciatingly painful to see herself all over the place just to see that spark of interest in those dazzling auburn eyes.

'Damn it.' Mina scolds internally, here she is pissed off yet still admiring Jeongyeon's eyes in between her irritation and brooding.

Mina groans, turns around and leaves. This isn't time to get so wobbly how translucent those eyes are, or how she doesn't mind drowning in them. She is angry for crying out loud, anger that dissipates the second Jeongyeon looks at her and turns to a helpless meek another second Jeongyeon flashes a smile. 

Jeongyeon's laughter dies down, turning that boisterous sound into a tender smile; the kind of smile Jeongyeon instinctively does whenever she looks at Mina, not the Mina parading around campus, but this Mina, unpolished and unrefined, raw yet beautiful.

And God, how damn beautiful Mina is? Jeongyeon has always found her attractive and she is certain that beauty also runs deeper than the skin(something Jeongyeon would like to dig into). Sure she said Mina isn't her type, but it wouldn't hurt anyone to know a little bit more about her, and probably see another side of Mina that is waiting to be discovered.

Jeongyeon jogs her way next to Mina, casually putting her hands into her pockets and walks in pace as soon as she reaches her.

The pout on Mina's face is there, still cute and completely out of character for this supposedly mature being.

The look though has Jeongyeon smiling, offering out of nowhere "Let's eat? On me, for putting that pout on your face." 

Mina stops and turns to look at Jeongyeon, that 'pout' still plastered on her face, "I am not pouting."

"You're cute." Jeongyeon unconsciously voices out, and squishing both Mina's cheeks in her palms out of nowhere.

Mina flinches in an instant, smacking Jeongyeon's hands away from her. The sudden skin contact and the unexpected compliment take Mina by surprise, her heart not handling the wave of emotions crashing all at once. 

She feels the heat rise to her face, hopes that the deep shade of red spread all over her face won't be mistaken as something other than anger. Because she is angry right? Jeongyeon just oversteps a boundary and she's mad about it, right? It's not because she's flustered by an action that made her heart leap out of her chest, right?

The is she contemplating about anyway. If Mina is angry, she's angry, it's not an emotion to doubt about. Then again Mina is no longer sure if it's anger, or a different emotion she hasn't felt before; a feeling she hasn't put a name on but keeps appearing whenever Jeongyeon is concerned.

It is silent, and Jeongyeon has never been the best person at handling it, especially after Mina swats away her hands with such dislike.

“I’m sorry.” Jeongyeon starts, softly, her expression giving away the anxiousness clouding around her. “I didn’t mean to touch you like that.”

Mina sees it, that insecurity in Jeongyeon’s eyes or that queasy tone in her voice. The disheartened look mirroring her eyes suddenly feels a little heavy around her chest. 

And Mina isn’t one to find this expression appealing but that innocence and display of fragility is quite disarming, Mina couldn’t help but want to wrap Jeongyeon around her arms and tell her not to worry about it.

But Mina won’t embrace Jeongyeon, doing so would let her guard down, and would actually mean defeat. And Mina is a born winner. So Mina doesn’t wrap her arms around her, instead voices with a warm smile,

“Jeongyeon, it’s okay. Your hands were just cold.”

That was a lie. It was warm, so warm Mina doesn’t mind melting at the touch.

“Is it?” Jeongyeon’s face no longer masked with worry but with a child-like curiosity. She presses her hands against her own cheeks, pouting as she feels it for herself. “Hmmm.”

“You don’t have to investigate.” Mina giggles for the first time today, an honest expression caused by Jeongyeon’s adorable pout. “So where do you plan to treat me to?”

It took all of her willpower not to grab that face and pinch them. Because when Jeongyeon apparently pouts, her cheeks puffs out and it’s too cute. She’s super cute. Too adorable really. The inner Mina could only scream within, capture the image of pouting Jeongyeon in her mind and build a shrine for it. 

Jeongyeon smile widens “I know a place”

..

.

Ten minutes since they took their seat in a quaint shop by the alley, and another five more since they have waited for their food. 

Mina looks around, the atmosphere reminiscent of youth, feels a whole like home. She settles her gaze back at the girl in front of her and smiles, “Why here?”

“I didn’t know you’d be picky.”

“No, it’s not that. Why of all places here?”

“Well,” Jeongyeon shyly starts, finger lightly scratching her cheek, “I thought you’d be missing something back home.”

Mina couldn’t help soften from that reply, or the wave of emotion Mina has now accepted to drown in. She’s touched, a little overwhelmed by the thoughtfulness Jeongyeon has shown. It rarely happens to her, sure people make it to a point to impress her, but none quite considered what she really likes. It’s always what they think she wanted but never what she really needed. 

And for these past months, she has been longing for something to remind her of home. A taste wouldn’t sound bad either, “How did you know?”

“I heard you’ve been away from home for years now, and I know this doesn’t really equate to going home, but I thought it’d be nice if you could have a piece of it.” Jeongyeon says with the kind of honesty that Mina finds quite refreshing. “Plus the food tastes great.”

It may also be a fact that she is always the one who caters to people’s wants and needs with the purpose of gaining their respect and admiration, and with intent to hear people sing praises that Mina never had this kind of consideration come her way. 

And it feels terribly nice.

Jeongyeon is… surprisingly nice.

Mina smiles, gentle, kind, void of any arrogance or deception she is used to putting up, “Thank you.”

The gesture is small, but enough to keep Mina quiet and troubled by the fact that she suddenly  doesn’t know how to handle this. And that goddamn smile on Jeongyeon’s face, thin but exudes a subtle sweetness and warmth, all of which keeps Mina looking away.

‘Hold on.’ Mina eyes widening at the sudden thought. ‘Hold my ing imaginary beer.’

She takes a quick glance at Jeongyeon, sees that smile, her theory now piecing together ‘Did my plan work? Did she actually find my clumsiness back at the movie house cute? Is that why she’s being this way?’

Assumption after assumption comes in and out of Mina’s mind all pointing to Jeongyeon’s action and that sweet adoring smile, a result of her attempt at being clumsy. An assumption that has Mina feeling surprisingly a little less enthusiastic and oddly down.

She should be feeling the opposite but for some reason she couldn’t find it in her heart to be happy. Because this would only prove that Jeongyeon do like clumsy girls, and if this side of Jeongyeon, this smile of hers is only reserved for the ‘clumsy’ Mina, then……

‘Then what?’ Mina stops from her thoughts. 

Getting Jeongyeon’s affection is her goal to begin with, and if she managed to attain it through the ‘clumsy’ Mina, then that should be fine. But why does it suddenly bother her? Why does it make her heart fall a little bit knowing it isn’t the real Mina who put that kind of smile on Jeongyeon’s face?

‘Do I?... Do I want Jeongyeon to like the real me?’ Mina’s eyes shoot wide open at the ridiculous thought that crossed her mind. She laughs to herself, ‘No. That’s just not possible.’

(Then why the hell are you stuttering?!)

‘Damn it Jihyo! Get out of my mind!’ Mina quickly scolds internally as the image of Jihyo with eyebrow raised, arms crossed over on her chest and mocking her comes to mind.

There’s no truth behind it. Wanting Jeongyeon to like the real her is just absurd. She only has one goal, and that doesn’t include wanting her roommate to see and want the real her. She only has to be Jeongyeon’s type and the goal ends there.

Because despite Mina having all of her life about winning, about capturing people’s attention and gaining their love, none in those times did Mina ever feel the desire to take responsibility for those budding affection, and nothing would change that. Even when the thought of being with her roommate more like this doesn’t bother her.

“Mina?” Jeongyeon’s soft voice penetrates her ears, cutting off the inner monologues that have been going on for quite some time Mina hadn’t actually noticed. She looks up and sees the concern all over her roommate’s face.

“Are you alright? You’ve been silent all of a sudden.”

“Huh?”

“Did I do something wrong? 

“What do you mean?”

“You’ve been quiet and well..” Jeongyeon’s voice is shaky, her smile despite there, is awkward, “Was it presumptuous of me to think this would make you happy? But now that I think about it, it might also make you miss home more and this is making you sadder.”

Mina knows it’s been overused by now considering how many times she has used this to describe her, but a stammering Jeongyeon(another side of her she gets to see) is really cute. A word she never thought she’d use as often as now.

“Jeongyeon, you’re too mindful of others huh?” Mina muses with a small smile, chin resting on her palm as she eyes her roommate whose face is hidden in both hands. An eye peeks through the gaps in silence, and Mina continues further, “You’re very thoughtful, really. And this actually makes me happy. So thank you.”

The concern from Jeongyeon only made Mina happier. Regardless if it was brought by the clumsiness or not, it only meant that she’s one step closer to her goal. After all, you don’t get to be that overly anxious over something so trivial if you don’t like them at least for a bit. 

Jeongyeon looks ahead, straightens her body, and lets out a sigh of relief “Great. I was really worried if I made you unhappy.”

“And why is that?" Mina’

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter