A Decades-Old Promise

The Promise
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chaeri's POV

'Honey, 6PM. Remember?' Oh crap.

"Kai, can you continue and preside over the meeting?" I nudged him while he was taking some minutes.
"Hm? Why?"
"I have dinner with mom. It's 'time'. I forgot." I told him and he gave me a nod.
"Yeah, of course." He smiled. Yes!
"Uhm guys." I interrupted Jinyoung's presentation.
"I'm really sorry. I have to go. But great job so far with our sponsors, Jinyoung. Just make sure that you submit all the documents, signed." I told him and he gave me a smile.
"Kai will take over for today. Text me if anything comes up! I'll see you guys next week! I'm really sorry!" I bowed and left the room.

 

I looked at the time and it was five thirty. Great. Dinner rush. I totally forgot about today! I have to go get changed and run to the restaurant where my mom wanted me to go to. She told me that 'it's that time' already. Yeah. I wished this day would never come but it's really something I cannot avoid. I've been raised for this very day. I called my driver to pick me up at this very moment. He was just parked inside the campus. I guess I'll go change in the car. I'll just put up one of the seats and change at the very back. I've done it quite a number of times and the driver covers the rear view mirror with a cloth each time I put myself in this situation. I went to the drop off point, waiting for my driver.

 

"Where is he?" I whispered to myself, tapping my foot, waiting for him to come. I can see my car.
"Yes!" Just as I was walking towards my car, another student zoomed right past me. I looked at him and he seemed to be in a hurry to run to the parking gates. Sheesh. Nevermind him. I hopped in and jumped to the back of the car, putting up the seat in front.
"Mr. Choi! Operation 'no more time'!" I told him and he laughed. He took a loose cloth and covered the rear view mirror.
"Ten minutes, tops!" I told him as he started driving. I had the bag of clothes and shoes sit at the back specifically for this kind of situation. I took out the contents and started changing into that damned dress. This is so hard. Once I got the dress on, I stood up (sort of) and fixed it properly before taking a seat at the front and placing the rest of my stuff beside me.

"Done!" I told Mr. Choi and he immediately removed the cloth covering the rear view mirror because we might get into an accident. I took out the shoes and immediately regretted my choice. I sighed and just put them on. It's just for tonight. Once we were locked in traffic, I used the time to brush my hair, put on make-up, and fix whatever needed to be fixed. Once we got to the restaurant, I was all clean and ready.
"Mission accomplished, miss?" Mr. Choi asked with a chuckle.
"Mission accomplished, Mr. Choi!" I beamed. I thanked him and told him to go home first since I know this might take a while. I entered the restaurant, doing a few fixes before entering the area where my mom would be.

 

"Honey! You're just in time!" She stood up as she saw me enter. She escorted me to our guests, a couple. The parents of the boy I am going to marry. Yes. That is right, I am going to get married soon. Yay.
"This is my daughter, Kwon Chaeri." My mother introduced me to the couple.
"Nice to finally meet you, darling! You are really beautiful." The lady told me.
"My name is Oh Seokhun, and this is my wife, Oh Eunji." A man stood up and introduced themselves.
"Nice to meet you." I bowed and they smiled at me.

 

Yes. This would also be the first time I would be meeting them. And probably the first time I'll be meeting my soon-to-be fiancé. So cliche! Right? When I was born, I was already betrothed to someone. As cliche and old-traditioned as it sounds, it's what I have to do. I guess. Sometimes I think my life was just a book or a movie or a fan fiction waiting to happen. If my life was supposed to be a Korean Drama, this would be the beginning. When my father was alive, he and his long time business partner and high school best friend made this agreement on marrying their first son and daughter. I am not so sure where they got this wacky idea from but apparently, to them, it sounded like a good idea. To them, it sounded like the best and only idea they could ever come up with. Unlucky for me, I am the first daughter and the only child. My father died when I was eight. It was a tragic accident that’s forever etched into my memories. He was returning from his monthly business trips when the plane he was on crashed somewhere in the Pacific during a storm. The plane was found and so was he but it was too late. The company was handed over to my mother as part of the hierarchy of the company's ownership and my father's will was given to us. I was too young to understand but I tried to, you know? In his will, his promise was written. “The first daughter of Kwon Enterprises was to be married to the first son of Oh Consolidated.” That’s what it exactly said. My mom knew about it and it shouldn't have come out until I finish my studies or turn 24, whichever comes first, which is a year before I was to be officially engaged. She made me understand that it was my father's promise and I always knew it like that. When I turned twenty one, I was presented the option to plea out of it since I was of legal age. By then, I would have a say in this since my father died and the rights of the promise was partially passed down to me. I decided to go with it and give it a chance. I wanted to keep his promise for my dad and his memory. My mother raised me well and I know she made me ready for this. She sent me to a good school and supported me all the way until I entered the best university in Korea. I made her understand that this time, even if it wasn't my promise, I wanted to keep my father's promise.

 

"Our son is just running a bit late. He came from school and the traffic is really heavy outside." Mrs. Oh told us.

"We can wait. It's understandable." My mother told her with a smile. The Oh's son's identity is a well kept secret. Nobody really knows who he is because Oh Consolidated is one of the top firms in Korea and they protect their line of succession as if he’s some kind of royal. I'm curious though. As far as I know, he's the only son of the Oh Family; the only heir. He lived his whole life in America but some say he attended college here in Korea. No year stated when he did. Some say he went to one of the top two schools here in Korea. It's either he studies in the same school I study in, Seoul National University, or he goes to KAIST or probably he already graduated? Bottom line, I have no idea who he is.

"I am very sorry I am late. This will never happen again." I looked behind me and saw a familiar face bow when he entered.
"Sehun, dear. Meet Mrs. Kwon Yunjung and her daughter, Kwon Chaeri." Mrs. Oh motioned him to greet us. He smiled and bowed before shaking our hands. He to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter