Yellow Flame

Yellow Flame

Flipping the sign with a flick of a coral wand, the restaurant finally opened its doors to the snaking line leading down two blocks.

 

OPEN FOR BUSINESS

 

Ordinary people filled into the kitchen, lifting up their arms slightly to allow the soft cotton of their pristine white jackets to hug their figures perfectly as they made small talk among themselves prior to heading off to their respective stations, their straight toque blanches settling themselves comfortably atop their heads.

 

Soon enough, with a flick of everyone’s wands at their own comfortable pace, silver equipment popping out of the blue on the stoves.

 

Flames soared high on silver pots and pans as the kitchen burst into life with the evening crowd streaming in. trickling in the cramped restaurant. Bottles of wine, chili powder and any other condiments that came to our minds flew above the chefs as orders were passed to the respective chefs handling the dishes for the day. With the warm comforting smell of Chinese Napa Cabbage Soup wafting through the air, it lulled the customers into a jovial mood.

 

However, despite the evening flowing smoothly, it didn’t take much time for the executive chef to lash out at the newbie, Kim Chaewon.

 

After avoiding a harrowing throw of a boiling pot of miso soup thanks to a spell that she quickly muttered, Chaewon was forced to back up against the exit of the kitchen with a short sky blue wand pointing itself menacingly at her.

 

“What is the meaning of this dish, Chef Kim! Galbitang, my ! Hell, you don’t even deserve the title of a chef to be pinned on you,” The executive chef, Yabuki Nako yelled out as she firmly grasped on Chaewon’s collar, bringing the helpless lady down to Nako’s petite stature, a stark contrast to her explosive demeanour as Chaewon’s white hat toppled onto the rough floor.

 

“Uhhh…” Chaewon blinked in surprise as she hastily hid her wand behind her back.

 

“Leave her alone, Nako. She’s new to the game so what do you expect? A five-star Michelin straight out of air? Give her another week and I’m sure she’ll be producing art that everyone raves about.” Lee Chaeyeon muttered softly as she proceeded to line the edges of the scallops with lemon sauce spurting out of her emerald coloured wand.

 

“Fine. Just this once, Kim Chaewon. Just this once. You’re lucky Chaeyeon didn’t go off for a break today.” Nako muttered as she backed away to her station.

 

Chaewon watched as the petite executive chef backed off, her fiery gaze never once leaving her.

 

“Don’t mind her. She gets angry easily since she doesn’t have that much space to store her anger in.” Chaeyeon said as she handed the plate over to the waiter on hand, a sweet smile plastered on her face.

 

“Are you the second in command?” Chaewon meekly asked as she heaved herself up, snatching the dusty hat.

 

“The Sous chef, you mean?” Chaeyeon nodded in response as she criticised a passing dish, a hint of undercooked scallops floating past them.

 

“Yuri, you might want to sear your scallops a bit more.” Chaeyeon yelled out into the vast kitchen.

 

A ‘yes chef’ rang out before it was soon overwhelmed by the bustling noise of the kitchen.

 

“Anyways, why don’t you follow me for the rest of the week? I can slowly hand you over to the other Sous Chef. See that dark-blue haired lady with the purple wand, that’s Kwon Eunbi for you.”

 

Twisting her head, Chaewon caught sight of the other sous chef tailing another chef, a rolling pin tailing dangerously close to the escapee ready to smack her.

 

Averting her gaze from the scene, Chaewon swiftly followed behind Chaeyeon who moved quickly, narrowly avoiding passing boiling pots of soups and platters of dishes.

 

With a silent murmur and a swish of Chaeyeon’s wand, a small station was assembled neatly in front of the pair.

 

“You know, you have a wand for a reason?” Chaeyeon smirked before whipping out her wand to brandish a few sharpened knives, bronze pots and a silver ladle out of the thin air.

 

“Ah yes.” Chaewon blushed in embarrassment before she quickly d around for her mint green wand.

 

“That’s one interesting wand colour. Hadn’t seen that one in a few centuries. Rumour has it that those who possess wands with the shades of green are naturally gifted in the art of culinary. Well, I don’t want to put too much pressure on you but perhaps you would turn out to become one of them?” Chaeyeon said as she flicked her wand, an orange fire lighting up below the pot.

 

Scratching her neck, Chaewon let out a slight cough to switch topics before asking meekly, “Well, can I try making the soup myself?”

 

“Well, we have plenty of resources so give it your best shot. I wanted to ask you to take notes but maybe it’ll be better if I just improve on your current techniques from my own eyes” And with that, the sous chef stepped aside giving way to the junior chef.

 

Taking a deep breath to steady herself, Chaewon stepped forward and arranged her sleeves methodically. Taking a long squint around her surroundings to familiarise herself with the rough shapes of sharp objects, she exhaled. With a flick of her wand and a few well muttered phrases, the knives began to raise themselves in a poised motion above the walnut wood cutting board. A few onions and a handful of cloves of garlic rolled itself atop the cutting board, each one waiting in line to be chopped up uniformly by the sharp knife. 

 

Meanwhile, crystal clear water flowed out of the tip of Chaewon’s wand, hitting the bottom of the bronze pot. Slowly, the pile of chopped onions and garlic were lifted up before Chaewon’s magic began wavering.

 

From the steady stream of water which slowly trickling into droplets and the onions and garlic dropping haphazardly on the kitchen counter, Chaewon could only mutter a soft ‘’ before dropping her wand in shock.

 

“I think I forgot to mention something, green wand holders tend to splurge all their energy in one go.” Chaeyeon shook her head sadly as she muttered a cleaning up spell which siphoned everything out of the kitchen counter back into her emerald wand, splatting out to the trash bin.

 

“Take the time off for this night and return tomorrow. Drink black tea with lime honey. Works wonders for your nerves which I suppose had been fried by Nako. If you can excuse me, I need to attend to Yuri before she sets the scallops on fire again or Eunbi will come for her neck.” Chaeyeon hastily washed her hands before rushing to Yuri’s aid, dousing the little flame with a jet of water.

 

Chaewon could only muster a couple of heavy farewells to the other chefs on duty before removing her slightly crumpled toque blanche and jacket to stow away into her locker.

 

Checking that her belongings were securely tight in her knapsack, the deflated lady adjusted the minuscule compass on her neatly pruned broomstick, the tiny needle pointing north before it flipped, showing the weather conditions for the dark night.

 

With a hard kick on the muddy grounds, Chaewon soon lazily drifted her way back home, using the clouds as a thick cover from wandering eyes as she enjoyed the warm evening breeze which passed by in a blurry motion.

 

After half an hour,  Chaewon made a swift turn towards a short brick building which laid quietly beside a shallow turquoise ocean to which she made a slow descent towards the seemingly deserted porch.

 

‘, why isn’t this broom stopping? I’m going to hit the bushes. Oh no. Oh-“ 

 

Without any warning, Chaewon crashed into the dense bushes, twigs scratching every possible surface of skin they could encounter. With a final touch, the stubborn broom bucked Chaewon off before heading straight into the house to settle into a comfortable upright position beside the front door.

 

Releasing a slew of swear words, a blurry head popped out from a window above her from the sudden commotion.

 

“Chaewon?” Choi Yena’s voice sounded above as she struggled to rip off the tightening twigs on her arms.

 

“Help me out, you idiot! I got trapped in your venenum bush!” Chaewon yelled before rolling herself out of the thick bush that released its grip on her upon a powerful blast from a yellow wand.

 

“Well, I helped you so cook dinner tonight. I’m starving to the point that I could eat all the creatures in the ocean.” Yena trotted around Chaewon before lifting her into the house effortlessly with just a wand.

 

Within seconds, Chaewon found herself on their worn out couch from the 1800s as Yena bombarded her with questions whilst applying aloe vera gel on her thin cuts.

 

“Spare me the talk tonight. I had it rough with your ex-boss, Nako.” Chaewon slightly winced as the gel seeped out the black poison which dropped on the mahogany flooring, hissing sharply as it blended into it.

 

“Strange, I thought she’d taken a liking to you immediately, considering your cooking skills” Yena murmured as she gathered the little excess globs of aloe vera.

 

“It got stunned, I suppose. Working with so many chefs at one sitting got on my nerves.” Chaewon grumbled as she made her way to the kitchen as she lifted her wand, summoning a chopping board out of a drawn drawer, potatoes and carrots rolled out of their enclosed nets with clear chicken broth flowing out of Chaewon’s wand straight into the pot.

 

“Smells nice.” Yena voiced out as she sauntered into the kitchen.

 

"Don't think of double dipping with your nasty spoon." Chaewon warned as she turned her back to summon bowls and spoons, squinting her eyes to locate the glasses.

 

With her dirty spoon in her hand, Yena sneakily reached out to taste the boiling pot of soup before being intercepted by a sharpened knife which went straight for her denim sleeve which effectively pinned her down on the chopping board as her face slammed alongside the neatly chopped up pile of vegetables.

 

"Switch the spoon to your other hand and I'll make your dearest pet duck, the highlight of our meal tonight." Chaewon growled as she continued to pull out a tumbler of honey lemon tea.

 

"Fine. Fine" With that sentence, Yena resigned herself to her seat as the steaming pot of simple chicken soup poured the contents into their bowls.

 

Saying their thanks for their meals, the pair dug into the simple yet scrumptious meal.

 

With not a single drop of broth left in their bowls, Yena leaned back comfortably as she pat her satisfied tummy. With a lazy flick of her wand, the remaining soup poured itself into containers to be used for tomorrow's meal. The dirty wares followed behind making a beeline to the sink to be washed up.

 

"You know." With a small pause, Chaewon took a slow breath in before continuing.

 

"I wished I had as much energy as you have." 

 

"What do you mean?" Yena questioned as the dishes were lifted to be drained off at the drying racks.

 

"Everytime I land myself in these jobs. Thanks to you of course."

 

"My pleasure." Yena nodded as she poured them each a piping hot cup of hot chocolate.

 

Another pause ensued before Chaewon proceeded.

 

"My body feels like it's been sapped of its life every time I work in those kitchens. Like those tilapias that our knives mercilessly plunge themselves straight into." Chaewon murmured as she stirred her hot chocolate.

 

"I don't have any remedy for that but I've heard of rumours that the grand high wizard is able to provide recharging potions, the Viribus to deserving witches or wizards. The question is how to find the grand high witch?” Yena chuckled as she ladled herself another cup of hot chocolate.

 

“I think the real question is whether such a potion exists? It’s against the International Council for Magic Matters to have possession or to even brew such illegal potions which modify our natural abilities.” With her eyebrows furrowing deeply, Chaewon slumped in her chair, deep in thought.

 

Suddenly, Yena shot up straight from her chair as she lunged towards the stairs. Soon enough, she returned with a thick book, caked with a layer of dust to which she set on their table.

 

Flipping through the fragile pages frantically, the exasperated witch finally landed on a page which had a little leather pouch squished flat.   

Untying the knots, Chaewon watched curiously as Yena checked the contents of the pouch carefully.

 

“Alright, there’s enough Peregrinate powder for you to travel to the fireplace of the grand high witch.”

 

“Isn’t this rare. Like extremely rare?” Chaewon questioned as she squinted at the pouch, trying to make out the blurry words on the pouch.

 

“Working those odd jobs at times give me plenty of surprises and this is one of them.” Yena shrugged her shoulders nonchalantly as if the powder held no value.

 

“But why are you even giving it to me?” 

 

“Just consider it as a birthday treat for a whole century.” Yena smirked as she lit the fireplace on fire, engulfing the floor in a blanket of warmth.

 

“With your way of words, I’ll be expecting you back here before the low ocean tide approaches. Best if you go now before the night settles over us.”

 

Without a word, Chaewon grabbed her worn out knapsack as she wore a sophisticated caramel coat, heading straight for the flames of the fireplace.

 

“How can I ever repay you? I don’t think considering this as a birthday treat for a century is enough.” Chaewon mumbled as she secured her knapsack before proceeding to tie her dark-brown hair up in a high ponytail.

 

“Hm. Just get that Chef Yuri’s address so I can mail her my love letters.” 

 

“Easy enough. Looks like I’ll head off now.” Emptying the contents of the letter pouch into the humongous fireplace, the bright orange flames burnt into dark beige flames.

 

Chaewon took a deep breath before stepping into the beige flames allowing her to catch a brief moment of Yena’s cheery wave before the beige flames swallowed her blurry vision.

 

Coming face to face to orange flames, Yena sighed to herself as she collected the items on the dining table. As her hands brushed against the leather pouch, a little note fell off behind it.

 

Property of the Inutilian 

 

“Well, s about to go down real hard on her tonight” Yena swallowed nervously as she stared intensely at the fire, knowing very well it would be past her magical abilities to retrieve Chaewon in the advanced world of the Inutilians

 

Meanwhile, Chaewon landed herself face down on the bottom of someone’s chimney. Coughing badly, Chaewon spat out small charcoal bits as she crawled out of the cramped place. Chaewon squinted her eyes as she tried to make out a rough description of her surroundings, past a black haze. She could barely make out a grandiose mahogany staircase leading to two separate directions along with other sets of furniture lining the dimly lit room.

 

“Mommy, did Santa come and visit us?” A sweet voice called out before a young cherubic girl popped up at the bottom of the stairs.

 

‘I thought members of the International Council are forbidden to have offspring to minimise the risk of distractions to their jobs?’ Chaewon wondered as she caught sight of the little lady toddling towards her, face full of curiosity.

 

“Akari, wait for me. Mommy wants to meet Santa with you” A mellow voice followed over to which Chaewon caught sight of a woman clutching the young girl closely upon catching sight of a charcoal coated Chaewon lying in an awkward position in their fireplace.

 

“That’s no Santa, Akari. That’s Santa’s ugly elves. Why don’t you go back up to bed?” Quietly ushering the young girl up the stairs, Chaewon came face to face with an infuriated lady.

 

Trying to ignore the snide remark, Chaewon mustered as much of a sweet tone she could despite not being able to catch a clear face.

 

'Dang, I should have brought my glasses. I can barely see in this house.' Chaewon grumbled mentally.

 

“Are you the grand high witch?” Chaewon proceeded, not wanting to hold the conversation longer than she wanted.

 

“A what?” With a quizzical look, the woman stared at Chaewon as if she had spoken gibberish.

 

“Well you know, the highest position of the International Council of Magic Matters, Miss?” Chaewon asked as she lifted herself off the floor, dusting off the excess charcoal bits stubbornly stuck on her blue and white striped sleeved shirt along with her cuffed denim pants.

 

“I don’t know what council you are talking about or the grand high something. But I can just assure you, I am a perfectly content Inutilian woman spending Christmas with my daughter. So if you please, go back the way you came from.” The lady said as she headed straight for the front door to kick the unwelcome guest out of the house.

 

“Did you say Inutilian, Miss?” Chaewon choked out, realising that a sworn enemy stood in front of her.

 

“Yes. Inutilian. Do you have a problem with that?” 

 

“Apologies, Miss. Before I would like to excuse myself out of your home, would you be able to tell me your name? For pleasantries of course.” Chaewon softly smiled as her nimble fingers wrapped around her mint green wand whilst reciting the same exact spell over in her head.

 

“I’m Honda Hitomi. The third generation of the Honda Clan, known for their cooking reputation. Do you have any clue?” Hitomi questioned as her grip on the door knob tightened.

 

“Well, you see..”

 

With a flick of her wand, Chaewon muttered a quick spell to which Hitomi deflected with her already drawn beige wand.

 

“What the hell!” Chaewon muttered as she realised her spell backfired.

 

“Look, Miss Stranger.” Hitomi’s eyebrows furrowed as her hands gripped tightly round her beige wand.

 

“It’s Chaewon for you.” Chaewon tutted as she withdrew her wand.

 

“Okay. Look Miss Chaewon, from whichever region you have magically popped up from.”

 

“I came from your dusty fireplace.” Chaewon cut across sharply.

 

“Look, mind if you stop cutting my sentences. You’re getting on my nerves. Anyways, I’m just going to straight up reveal that I am indeed the Grand High Witch and I would highly advise if you could return to your own region. Look I’ll even give you enough gold to last you for a century.” A pile of gold suddenly appeared in Hitomi’s hand as she offered the tempting pile to Chaewon who shrugged it away.

 

“I have no interest in gold for it just brings more greediness in my life. However, I've come to ask for an important potion.”

 

“There’s plenty here. Just simply name it and I’ll get it for you.” Hitomi smirked as her grip on the beige wand loosened.

 

“It’s not something exactly legal.” Chaewon rubbed her neck in embarrassment as the pair entered the simply furnished kitchen which contained a lone mahogany island, surrounded by maroon cupboards and a matching pair of fridge together with four stoves with a well-sized oven, each of the kitchen apparatus lined with a golden stamp of seal.

 

“Nonsense. Every potion in the world of the Witches is legal.” Hitomi shrugged as she swept across the room to scour for something.

 

“Even the Viribus Potion?”

 

With a sudden halt in her steps, Hitomi crouched down carefully to open a cupboard, filled to the brim with different bottles of potions, some of which were fizzing incredibly or even having flames dancing within it.

 

“Well, I may have to retract my earlier statement. Some potions are certainly not legal within the boundaries of this world. But I can certainly do a little under the table deal once in a while.”

 

“Really?” Chaewon asked as she watched Hitomi remove cork stoppers on some bottles to inhale its contents before closing them again.

 

Finally the leader came to a minuscule bottle labelled ‘Viribus’ with hardly a single drop evident in it.

 

“Looks like I forgot to conduct a monthly stock check on my potions.” Hitomi sadly muttered as she closed the doors.

 

“Can’t you restock it?” Chaewon treaded carefully as she pocketed her wand.

 

“Well, would you be willing to wait for a whole month for one potion?” Hitomi challenged as she drew her wand.

 

“Anything. I’ll go off then. Can’t have the grand high witch distracted from her work.” Chaewon said as she summoned her knapsack from the chimney.

 

“Clearly a century in Schola had not made a dent in your non-existent brain. Do you not recall page 394 of your potions book?”

 

“I don’t see the point in remembering a useless page number that serves no purpose in the world of cooking.” Chaewon remarked.

 

“Well, to put it simply for your simple-minded self. The Viribus potion requires a single strand of hair plucked from the person to consume the potion, every day for an entire week and unless you’re telling me that your lazy is willing to travel back and forth to a single strand of hair for a potion.”

 

“There’s no shortcuts?”

 

“Unless you want to turn into a weak vegetable within days then surely I can whip up the potion in seconds.” Hitomi remarked as she lit a fire on the stove.

 

“Can’t I just mail it to you or something?”

 

“And have Inutilians intercept it easily due to common mailing patterns. Certainly not when I have a little witch to bring up.” Hitomi muttered as she placed a pot atop the fire.

 

“Are there any bargains you have to offer?” Chaewon who was exasperated at this point, was willing to do anything to get the potion.

 

“Well, my personal assistant lost her life to a dragon. That dumb slipped on a rock and the hungry dragon ate her up. She’s a ghost now but either dimension, she’s still a clumsy fool.” Meanwhile, Hitomi manually poured water in the pot.

 

“Are you suggesting I take up the job of a personal assistant to you?”

 

“Well, it’s only a week. I’ll pay you handsomely for it if you want.”

 

“I have no other choice so..” Chaewon muttered as she removed her, the heat of the sweltering hot kitchen catching up to her

 

“Awesome, here’s the contract and you can sign it.” Hitomi beamed as a parchment of paper rolled open to reveal a detailed contract.

 

“Got any ink?” Chaewon questioned as she brandished her personal ostrich quill, taken aback by the sudden eagerness of the leader.

 

“Prick your finger and place your fingerprint.” 

 

“That makes it a binding contract then.”

 

“So you want to back out now?” Hitomi growled softly as she withdrew her wand.

 

“Fine, I’ll do it. Besides, I can practise my skills here at that.”

 

“Skills? Chef by any chance?” Hitomi questioned as she manually cut up garlic and shallots.

 

“Yes, Miss Honda.” Chaewon smartly answered.

 

“What’s with the sudden formality? Relax and grab yourself a cup of pandan tea. I brewed it this morning but just heat it up on the stove to make it hot. Also, don’t worry about your own job. I’ll cover it as soon as I can after dinner. ” As she scrapped the last bits of the garlic into a neat pile, Hitomi tore open a bag of chicken meat.

 

“Why aren’t you using your magic?” Chaewon asked as she heated up the pandan tea with a few well-spoken words and her wand.

 

“And risk my daughter going near the brink of death just because of my ty cooking skills with magic?” Hitomi muttered as she scraped the garlic and onion pile a little too rough for Chaewon's liking.

 

“Yikes. What’s up with cooking and magic for you? You're the highest level of witch out here." 

 

"So what about it? Not every leader is made to be perfect, everyone has a flaw whether we like it or not."

 

"And it's up to us to work on it." Chaewon commented as she sipped on her tea, slowly enjoying the light warmth seeping through her veins.

 

"If you keep on running that big mouth of yours, you can't learn anything out there. Come here next to me and watch someone with a little bit of common sense and motherly love prepare dinner for the three of us."

 

"And what if I don't want to" Chaewon grumbled as she finished her cup.

 

Without any warning, Chaewon felt invisible ropes snaking themselves around her, constricting her movements as they heaved her across the marble floor, plopping her next to Hitomi like a useless puppet.

 

"Remember who you are dealing with, Kim Chaewon. The Grand High Witch of the International Council of Magic Matters. I hate saying this long title so please don't cross such boundaries I put aside respectfully." Hitomi's eyebrows raised sincerely to ensure that the relationship was meant to be played around the rules only.

 

Knowing very well that the use of Fantoche required much of one's energy, even more so when not casted with a wand in sight, Chaewon retreated to her shell.

 

The assistant watched silently as Hitomi drained the stock of chicken into a silver pot. Following that, a handful of dark red Chinese jujubes and two roughly measured spoons of bright orange goji berries joined the stock which continued simmering atop a newly lit flame. 

 

"I'm separating the chicken from the broth so I can pull apart the chicken meat to be grinded up for a later dish. Are the ropes too tight for you?" Hitomi paused as she caught sight of Chaewon wincing in pain as a strange feeling of emptiness crept into her heart.

 

Silently the grip of the ropes loosened to which Chaewon muttered a 'thanks' to Hitomi.

 

"The jujubes are great for those unable to get much of their deserving sleep and the goji berries are meant to boost their immunity. Akari has been unable to sleep well for the past few nights. She kept on mentioning something along the line of the 'last supper' but never mind that now. So long this soup has been simmered down and I have finished adding the cilantro, you are welcome to have dinner with us." Hitomi smiled warmly as Chaewon mentally noted it down.

 

"What are you planning to make with the chicken strips?" Chaewon nodded her head towards the pile of pale white chicken .

 

A slightly crumpled paper appeared out of nowhere pushing Chaewon to catch it instinctively.

 

Unwrapping it, a recipe titled ‘Chicken Embutido’ as the various ingredients were listed neatly at the top in Hitomi’s quaint handwriting. Following it, were the steps, listed in short sentences to allow one to read easily.

 

“Filipino dish?”

 

“Yes.” Hitomi’s eyebrows raised themselves in surprise.

 

“Do you think you would be able to do it? Well, I shouldn’t ask you cause it’s literally part of your job-“

 

“I’m able to do it. Besides it’s something that runs through my veins.” Chaewon cut through the conversation abruptly as she summoned the ingredients needed which came flying out of the fridge and cupboards. Ensuring that her hands are fully dried, Chaewon moved on to mutter a few words, her eyes zooming onto the chopping board to focus on her new dish.

 

Bright orange carrots were neatly skinned along with white onions being diced into small little cubes. Wincing slightly from the onions, Chaewon squinted her eyes as she continued to chop through the little piles of onions. On the other hand, Hitomi manually cut sliced bread to which she tossed into a large mixing bowl as she munched on a little slice of bread, enjoying the simple fluffiness.

 

The previously cooked chicken strips plopped deftly into the bowl along with the diced carrots and onions, joining the pile of soft bread. With an invisible hand sprinkling a handful of raisins and mixing the thick concoction, Chaewon glanced around the room to ask for Hitomi’s approval.

 

“You can add the eggs now.” Hitomi said as she peered over Chaewon’s shoulder.

 

Nodding her head, Chaewon cracked three eggs into perfect halves, proceeding to further mix. Finally with defrosted hotdogs, Chaewon wrapped the thick mixture around the hotdog till it completely disappeared to which she left the roll wrapped tightly in an aluminium foil, gently placed in a steamer.

 

Meanwhile as the embutido rolls steamed peacefully, Akari skipped merrily into the room, her nose high up in the air till her little feet planted her in front of the stove.

 

“Is it herbal soup again?” Akari asked, her eyes folding into little crescents.

 

“Yes, dear. But don’t worry, our new assistant…” Hitomi paused, trying to recall Chaewon’s name.

 

“Kim Chaewon”

 

“Yes, Chaewon. Remember your manners, Akari and don’t call Chaewon-“

 

“Aunty Chaewonie!” Akari giggled before toddling off to stand beside a chair, evidently a little too high for her to reach as Hitomi sighed defeatedly in the background.

 

Getting the cue, Chaewon lifted up the mini human and settled her down on the chestnut chair.

 

“Thank you, Aunty Chaewonie!” Chuckling softly, Chaewon patted Akari’s head as she set down the little beige plate and utensils.

 

“She doesn’t cry out for any form of entertainment?” Chaewon whispered as she watched Akari wait patiently for her food, hardly a drop of wanting to throw a tantrum in sight. A stark contrast to the toddlers in their high chairs, their bulging eyes constantly pressed on a moving screen.

 

“Trained well by me. Anyways, help me take out the remaining rolls from the steamers and scoop rice into the bowls.”

 

Chaewon quickly fetched the embutido rolls, unwrapping it swiftly with her personal magic while she scooped two full steaming bowls of rice and a little one for Akari.

 

Setting the simple meal down on the table, the three of them recited their ‘thanks for the meal’.

 

Eyes feasted on the meal before them as their owner’s chopsticks lay their personal intake atop their steaming bowl of white rice. 

 

Chaewon sighed in delight as she felt the embutido roll break apart gently in , enjoying how the mild sweetness of the raisins complemented the thick chicken mixture. Following the roll, came along the herbal soup which was heavy yet comforting. The chef could taste a hint of fresh cilantro which was slowly overwhelmed by the sweetness from the goji berries and red dates, finally ending off with the flavour of slow-cooked chicken.

 

“Delicious?” Hitomi asked as she scooped a little bite of food into Akari’s eagerly open mouth.

 

Nodding her head, Chaewon helped herself to more till her bowl had been cleared of every grain of rice.

 

“Dou yoush wanch anogroder shervin?” Akari asked, her cheeks filled to the brim with food like a chipmunk.

 

“Chew your food before speaking” Hitomi chided before wiping Akari’s mouth.

 

“I’ll take it from here, you look as if you hadn’t eaten in days.” Chaewon offered as she gently took the little spoon from Hitomi’s outstretched arm.

 

“Aunty Chaewonie doesn’t want another serving, Akari. I’m full.” Chaewon said as she exaggerated a circling motion round her stomach.

 

“Now say ah. The train of food is coming already, Choo-choo.”

With a big bite of food, Akari took it in before giving a little giggle. Hitomi watched on as she enjoyed the sight of the newcomer making her daughter smile widely, knowing well enough that her daughter enjoyed Chaewon’s presence. Once again, without any warning, the exact void flew in, shattering Hitomi’s mood for the evening.

 

Hitomi excused herself before standing up to clear the dishes taking the last few bites of her food.

 

Seeing this, Chaewon offered, “Hey, I’ll do the dishes. I’m your personal assistant anyways.” 

 

“It’s alright. Akari dear, go up and play with your cars.” Hitomi addressed the pair before returning her focus on the dishes which came strutting into the sink.

 

“So when do we start brewing on the potion?” Chaewon asked as she waved goodbye to the cheery Akari.

 

“Later” Hitomi curtly replied before hanging the dishes manually.

 

“Oh, I forgot to mention this earlier but would you like to send a letter to any loved ones or anyone in particular?” Hitomi asked, curious over Chaewon’s personal status.

 

“I do have one in mind. Where’s your owl?” 

 

“Just in the back. There’s a tiny cubicle beside the door out to the back. Maya is the name.” Hitomi replied, a strange feeling of despair creeping into her heart.

 

“Other significant half?” Hitomi pressed on as she poured herself a cup of pandan tea to calm herself down.

 

“Oh, never in a thousand centuries. Just a good friend that’s all. How about you? Do you have a significant half?” Strangely enough, the sadness lurking in Hitomi’s heart seeped away abruptly.

 

“I never saw the joy in entertaining another person’s bull but adopting Akari in Japan may be a little exception.” Hitomi replied wistfully as she summoned a medium-sized cauldron atop a makeshift fire.

 

“Interesting. Well, I can help out in potion making.” Chaewon offered as she sent off the hastily scrawled message on the barn owl.

 

“Seeing that you couldn’t remember what page the potion was on, I rather not. But since you were once a chef, how about making a late night supper snack? You’ll be able to find anything you need, fresh or packaged.” 

 

“Easy enough” Chaewon agreed before turning sharply on her heels to whip up a new recipe.

 

Scuffling through the cupboards, Chaewon managed to produce a packet of fresh pale yellow ramen noodles, Ajitsuke Tamago or better known as egg soaked in a flavourful soy-sauce marinade, a thick cut of Chashu, a handful of scallions and lastly a earthenware pot filled with miso paste.

 

Satisfied with her finds, Chaewon rolled up her sleeves as she squinted her eyes to familiarise herself with the rough outline of the various ingredients. Finalising her steps mentally, Chaewon lifted her mint green wand gingerly casting spells on the separate chopping boards.

 

Unwrapping the garlic skin, the garlic cloves were minced finely. The same went for the shallots to which they were heated in fragrant sesame oil. Adjusting the fire with a flick of her wand, Chaewon returned her attention to the sesame seeds to which she proceeded to grind with a mortar and pestle.

 

A steaming broth of a mixture of pork and beef stirred itself continuously with a wooden spoon as the miso paste was scooped into the pan. Taking a whiff of the paste, Chaewon dumped it into the light brown broth, simultaneously adding the sesame seeds. With her little tasting spoon in hand, Chaewon savoured the little spoonful of broth, not forgetting to add a pinch of salt till she let it rest to simmer down.

 

“Chaewon, I’ll go up and tuck Akari into bed.” Hitomi yelled she shuffled past the kitchen.

 

Not letting the slight distraction affect her, Chaewon seared the Chashu in the pan coated in sesame oil, a crisp sizzle emitting from the slice of meat as she grabbed a handful of noodles before settling it down into a strainer to be cooked in the pot of boiling water.

 

Counting down the crucial seconds till the noodles were perfectly cooked, the chef quickly analysed her movements as she grabbed a bowl filled with the flavourful broth.

 

3… Hastily chopping up the green scallions while preparing the chopsticks to scoop up the noodles.

 

2… Summoning the Nori and gently cutting the eggs, revealing the orange, yellow glow of the egg yolk, a stark contrast to the whiteness of the egg white encasing it.

 

1… Chopsticks in hand, Chaewon reached out for the noodles.

 

Taking it out of the boiling pot of water, Chaewon drained it off the excess water, flipping the springy noodles a couple of times swiftly before she poured it into the broth. Her chopsticks swiftly came in to arrange it nicely to allow her to balance the remaining toppings on top. Along came the Chashu and two halves of eggs which nestled gently on top of the ramen noodles. 

 

With a final touch, the dark green Nori stood vertically behind as the scallions artfully scattered themselves atop the noodles.

 

"Smells like home." A voice whispered, momentarily stunning Chaewon.

 

"Oh Hitomi? Scared me there but anyways have a seat."Chaewon ushered Hitomi to her chair as she summoned the bowls to the table.

 

"Do you want any drinks?" Hitomi asked as she withdrew her beige wand.

 

"Root beer will do just fine." And with a 'pop's, two vintage bottles of root beer appeared in front of them.

 

Nodding their heads silently, they collectively said their thanks before digging into the food.

 

Chaewon took a sip out of the bowl first, enjoying the thick broth before slurping down the noodles in one go.

 

"What's in here?" Hitomi asked as she slurped down the noodles.

 

"Just the usual ingredients. No special sauce or anything." Chaewon smugly replied as popped the bottle cap off.

 

"Impressive. I think you could cook for the dinner party I have organised on the last day of your work here"

 

Hacking suddenly, Chaewon choked out, "Dinner party?"

 

"Yes. I called the executive chef and the pair of sous chefs at your workplace. You are free to bring your friends too for I am bringing mine."

 

"But why?" Chaewon asked as she reached out for tissue to wipe the mess.

 

"Well remember I said that I would inform your management and in return they replied that you were already sacked from your job. You didn’t mention it but either way, I managed to persuade-"

 

"Sacked?" Chaewon asked in confusion before finally processing it.

 

“Well, yes… “ 

 

"SACKED!" Chaewon yelled as she abruptly got up from her seat, knocking the bowl to the floor causing it to shatter into shards.

 

"Chaewon, please manners." Hitomi gently calmed the enraged lady as she whipped out her beige wand to clear the mess.

 

"That can't possibly be." Chaewon muttered to herself, still deep in shock.

 

"Please, Akari is sleeping and don't worry about your job, I've managed to persuade them to allow you to keep it on the condition that you present them with a full course meal." Hitomi assured her.

 

"But still, Chaeyeon said that I could return to the restaurant tomorrow." Chaewon mumbled to herself as she held her heavy head in her weak arms.

 

"I suggest taking a nap for now. Don't worry about the dishes." Hitomi quietly ushered Chaewon onto the sofa.

 

As the chef pondered over her impending future, she failed to notice a sleek figure slink past the clear window stealthily.

 

With a sigh, Hitomi gathered up her thoughts as she made her way to the distraught chef, two chilled soju bottles in hand with two sit glasses trailing behind.

 

"Look. Your future is for you to decide but you can definitely change the present to impact your future. So just continue to work under for the rest of this week while I teach you to conserve your energy. The Veribus potion is already brewing so just remember to add your hair into it."

 

"And what do I give back? I have nothing to give except my soul." Cahewon sighed exasperatedly.

 

"I'll decide it at the end but for now. Just pull through. I don't usually do this for anyone so consider yourself lucky." With that, Hitomi nudged the shot glass into Chaewon's hand.

 

"Can't hurt to have a bit of a drinking session every now and then. Do you know how to clink glasses in Japanese?"

 

Sadly shaking her head, Chaewon let out a little pout bringing back the same sadness creeping back into Hitomi's heart.

 

"Well, just bring the tip of your glasses and just shout 'KANPAI'. It's like cheers but in Japanese of course." Brushing aside the recurrence, Hitomi popped open the soju bottle, pouring the clear liqueur into the musty shot glasses.

 

"When was the last time you've drank?" Chaewon hesitated before picking the glass up, dust tainting her fingers as she twirled the liqueur around.

 

“It’s been long. I don’t really like drinking much since I’ll end up exposing more than I can hide. Besides, you’ll be gone in a few more days so what’s better than pouring out your feelings to a mere stranger.” Hitomi brought up her glass, prompting Chaewon to do the same.

 

“To the success of the Veribus Potion and-“

 

“To being more than mere strangers!” Chaewon clinked her glass against the grand high witch, chugging it down in one go.

 

Without questioning it, Hitomi followed suit.

 

As more shots were cleared, the more brazen the pair became.

 

Hiccuping slightly, Hitomi mumbled out, “You know, ever since you stepped here. Minus your ugly entrance. It just felt like ‘home’. A yellow flame at that too.” Letting out another hiccup, Hitomi dropped her glass on the carpet, staining it with alcohol.

 

“What’s a yellow flame?” Chaewon grumbled as she fanned herself with her sleeved shirt, the heat from the alcohol kicking in. 

Fortunately for Chaewon, she had yet to become nearly wasted as the Grand High Witch. 

 

“Do you not pay attention to my words? -Hiccup- Isn't it obvious that I am sick of changes? All I wanted was to settle down and enjoy the simplicity of life but no, I’ve got a title to be the Grand High Witch. Even more responsibilities atop existing ones, I even need to set myself impossible standards just to satisfy others. But never once, had I set myself a goal to satisfy myself. Hell, I never have time to breathe because of these ridiculous expectations. Tell me is it possible to configure food out of nowhere?” Hitomi lightly slammed the bottle down on the table.

 

“According to the laws of magic, those who practice it understand that food is impossible to con-“ 

 

“Exactly! So why do the people want me to conjure an immediate solution to solve the ongoing tension between the Inutilians and us? It’s like asking you to make out with me right now.”

 

“What?” Chaewon deadpanned before pouring herself another glass of soju and downing it in one go.

 

“I said kiss me.” Hitomi said, her gaze slowly turning itself on the chef.

 

Chaewon’s eyes bulged out of her socket as she frantically poured herself another shot, avoiding any form of eye contact with the witch.

 

"Miss Honda, as tempting as this sounds, I am in no position to give you a kiss even so when we are mere acquaintances. Furthermore, you are intoxicated and you would not be able to remember a single bit of this." Chaewon reasoned as she emptied the glass.

 

"Well, if I kiss you, what makes us then?  A married couple? And also, stop using formalities. It makes me fall for you even more from how your soft raspy voice faintly mutters it."

 

"Miss Honda, you're terribly drunk so I suggest getting some sleep. I'll go and set your bed so just lead me to your bedroom.” Chaewon suggested, fumbling about to find her mint green wand.

 

A couple of minutes passed yet Chaewon had yet to hear a single word from her fellow acquaintance. Tilting her head to check on Hitomi, Chaewon caught sight of the young lady, snoring to her heart’s content.

 

‘Hitomi must be sincerely tired for her to enjoy her sleep after the drinking session. Well Yena said that it is easier for stressed out people to get drunk more easily so that proves the point. I should make haejang-guk considering that I still have plenty of the leftover chicken broth. Anyways, looking at her makes my heart seem strangely at ease, as if I had known her for over a century but it’s my first time meeting her. And, seeing her up close, she seems so serene from the little blush on her cherubic cheeks and slender frame that can easily crumble if I just tap her.”

 

Breaking out of her stupor, Hitomi suddenly frowned before muttering, “Please. I beg you. Take me, not her. Please, spare some mercy on them and take my soul. I am sincerely begging you, once again. Take my life hostage and not Kim Chaewon.”

 

‘Kim Chaewon? Maybe, she’s talking about another Kim Chaewon. There’s plenty out there, I suppose.” Chaewon reasoned as she summoned a blanket to cover Hitomi up.

 

Before Chaewon could put the thick blanket on Hitomi, the grand high witch’s face scrunched even more, contorting into one of visible pain.

 

Again the exact words were strewn out with a hint of desperation as a lone tear escaped Hitomi’s right eye, rolling down her pale cheek slowly before disappearing into her turquoise turtleneck.

 

Upon seeing this Chaewon rushed over to her side, holding icy hands in her own warm hands as she lulled Hitomi into a peaceful sleep with her own words of comfort till the pair fell into a deep slumber. 

 

________________________________________________________________________________

 

As the sun rose to greet them each day, the black night gave way to the warm shadow of the sun, allowing for another day between them.

 

Hitomi shifted slightly in her sleep, inhaling a slight whiff of something heavenly stirring up in the kitchen.

 

“Smells like congee. Perfect for a hangover meal. Wait, who’s cooking it?”

 

Realising that an intruder had somehow made their way in to cook her a deadly bowl of porridge, Hitomi scrambled for her wand before making her way steadily to the kitchen.

 

Taking a quick glance, she heaved a sigh of relief as she caught sight of the young chef gracefully moving her wand, as a handful of freshly chopped coriander to the self stirring pot of congee.

 

Hitomi watched silently, a light smile etched on her face as she caught Chaewon humming a little tune to herself while preparing breakfast.

 

“You know, instead of wearing yourself out by standing at the doorway, you can just come and sit down.” Chaewon mumbled as she tasted the congee.

 

“What- How did you even see me?” Hitomi mumbled sheepishly as she made her way meekly to a chair.

 

“Reflection on the pot.” Chaewon remarked as she gave a slight nod to the taste before ladling a bowl for each of them.

 

“Does Akari like coriander in her porridge? I had little customers who despised it.”

 

“Well yes, make sure to put plenty. She enjoys them for some strange reason.”

 

Upon the sentence, a huge clump of coriander plopped themselves softly into the porridge.

 

The pair settled themselves into their chairs, enjoying their own steaming bowls of congee silently.

 

“Say why did you even lie about being part of a clan known for their cooking reputation?” Chaewon threaded cautiously, afraid that it may be too early in the morning to have such a talk.

 

“Just to throw you off and I already knew it from your mint green wand. Those who hold onto wands with the shades of green are… “

 

Chaewon struggled to hold in her memories playing themselves on repeat. Echoes of insults and remarks such as “you are literally presented with a mint green wand so why can’t you whip up a simple bowl of cabbage soup,” “YOU BRING DISHONOUR UPON OUR CLAN.” And the freshest bruise ever since she started on her journey, “You are simply not worthy of handling a wand let alone dabbling in magic.”

 

“ … remarkably talented in the field of culinary.” Chaewon sputtered.

 

Silence engulfed them causing the young chef to stand up abruptly.

 

“You seem to be distraught over handling such a responsibility. Is there anything-”

 

“There’s nothing troubling about it. Well, never mind that, just please go back to your work. I’ll fetch you a cup of freshly brewed earl grey tea. If you need to inform me about anything, please, feel free to do so.” Chaewon muttered heavily as she cleared their dishes.

 

“Actually, once you’re done with everything and that includes sending Akari off to school, send the cup of tea up to the study. Third room from the right. Beige door. You can’t possibly miss it since it’s the only door in such a shade.”

 

Before Chaewon could reply back, Hitomi had disappeared to her study leaving a sleepy Akari to enter the room.

 

“Aunty Chaewonie, Akari has finished the brushie session. And is hungry.” Akari mumbled as she rubbed a tiny fist into her eyes.

 

“Good job, come on let’s get you fed up and ready for school, little one.”

 

Akari begrudgingly lifted her arms as Chaewon gently scooped her into her arms and placed her atop of her chair.

 

The young witch watched on as Akari held onto the spoon tightly, plopping a big mouthful of congee into each time she opened it.

 

“You remind me of Mommy.” Akari squeaked as she cleared the bowl.

 

“Do I? In what ways?” Chaewon smiled gently as she pressed a napkin on Akari’s lips which jutted out, resembling Yena’s duck lips.

 

“Like how you both enjoy drinking till you pass out. And staring at Akari till she finishes her food.”

 

“Well, Akari is a beauty to the point that my eyes cannot take them away from her.” Patiently answering Akari, Chaewon quickly zipped up Akari’s lunchbox which consisted of a simple box of shrimp fried rice topped with pieces of carrots and broccoli shaped in various types of owls, each one intricately carved by Chaewon’s knife and a little dash of magic. A carton of strawberry milk and a container filled to the brim with sweet 

 

“Is that the same reason that Aunty Chaewonie keeps staring at Mommy yesterday.” The young child questioned as she lifted her arms, prompting Chaewon to carry her to the front door.

 

Breathing softly, Chaewon bent down till she matched Akari’s line of sight.

 

“Can you keep a secret, Akari?”

 

“Akari is a good keeper of secrets.” Beaming proudly at her words, Akari placed her arms through her little backpack which held a smiling peach toy at the side.

 

“Good. So, I think I … might have a crush on your Mommy.” 

 

“You think? When Akari sees someone staring at another, full of sparkle in their eyes. I know they like the other person a lot, Aunty Chaewonie.” Akari smiled cheekily which went unnoticed by Chaewon.

 

“Okay maybe, I might have lied but pinky promise?” Holding up her pinky, Akari’s tiny pink latched on quickly.

 

“Pinky promise to keep your secret well.” Akari closed their pinkies before giving Chaewon a tiny peck on the cheek.

 

“People that love Mommy deserve a kiss from me and Mommy.” Akari mumbled aloud.

 

Before Chaewon could process Akari’s snarky comment, the little girl had already skipped off for the bus, waving the lunchbox 

 

“Jeez for one, she really is a handful.” Chaewon muttered to herself before she headed off to Hitomi’s room, a tray hovering slightly in front of her as her wand guided it through the house.

 

Before latching her hand on the door knob, Chaewon looked down at her appearance and gave a little pat to herself before she swung the door open.

 

The young chef watched on as quills hastily scribbled on scrolls of faded parchment, with Hitomi peering at her typewriter, adjusting her thin golden framed glasses every now and then.

 

“Hitomi?” The clacking of the typewriter stopped as the quills floated back to their respective ink pots.

 

“Ah Chaewon, have a seat.” Hitomi offered a chair which appeared out of the thin air.

 

Bowing slightly, Chaewon took her place as her eyes glazed around the simple room, her wand following suit to set the tray on the table.

 

Rows of shelves stacked to the brim with thick volumes of titles, some of which held languages she had yet to explore. Her chestnut eyes shifted over to the window which towered behind Hitomi, which held a view of the cerulean blue ocean, schools of fishes floating effortlessly passed the window as an occasional shark came peering into the window. Finally, her eyes landed on the perfect view before the window.

 

Snapping out of her stupor, Chaewon cleared .

 

“How did you do that? The window and that ocean behind it.” 

 

“Magic. Nothing else. I mean I expect you would know the answer to it.” Hitomi replied as she glanced at Chaewon’s chestnut eyes which squinted heavily.

 

“Yeah, what else could have been the answer.” Chaewon scoffed to herself as the grip on her mint green wand tightened itself, showing the pale blue veins beneath the translucent skin.

 

“Say can I look at your wand? No pressure at all of course.”

 

“No, it’s okay. Here.” 

 

Offering her wand, Hitomi’s hands hovered over it cautiously before gingerly picking it up. Twirling it precariously between her fingers, her fingers traced over it lightly, afraid that a single tap would cause it to snap into little fragments.

 

“You don’t seem too proud in handling the ownership of such a wand. I’ve seen others with shades of wands that would not be favourable in this world, yet they wear it like a badge on their sleeve.”

 

Letting out a sigh, Chaewon looked towards the books as she spat out bitterly, “Those people wear it like a trophy but I won’t. Not when I hadn’t earned enough to live up to its title. They deserve my kind of wand more than I do, especially when what they have done is even more impactful.”

 

“I understand, where you are coming from, Chaewon. But these people always held a simple understanding that each spell they cast, had magically made another person’s day better regardless of the impact.”

 

Keeping mum, Chaewon refused to speak instead setting her eyes on the window.

 

“Maybe, to give you a simpler explanation. Blue was a colour of warmth and happiness to someone, I personally knew. But that someone I knew, decided to submerge themselves in the cerulean tint of the ocean. And that’s why I have this ocean hovering over my back. It is a stark reminder that I should fight for the belief that we shouldn't be held down simply because of what wand colour we possess. ”

 

Silence engulfed the room, leaving Hitomi to stare at Chaewon’s unreadable expression.

 

Letting out a disappointed sigh, Hitomi reached for the wand as she muttered softly.

 

"I'm afraid there isn't much for me to discuss with you when our views on the world on the opposite ends of the table." And with that, Hitomi raised her wand allowing the quills to resume their scribbling.

 

The young chef slowly got up from her chair, pushing away the thoughts of overcoming her fears.

 

“There’s a pair of glasses arriving later in the afternoon for you.” Hitomi drawled as she peered over her parchment.

 

“What for?” Chaewon replied as her back faced the window.

 

“I’ve noticed that you squint especially when you cook. My records showed that you hadn’t attended to your prescription administered by our healers. And so to save your time from their remarks, I’ve simply assessed your degree and had it prepared this morning.” Swirling the ink, Hitomi reached over to write a little note on a scrap parchment.

 

“Why are you doing this for me? Well, I mean you just barely knew me and you gave me the Veribus Potion on a simple agreement then you said that my ex-supervisors would come round so that I could have another shot at my passion. Now, you give me something to boost my vision.” 

 

The scratching of the quills stopped, bringing Chaewon to a halt.

 

Clenching tightly on the door knob, Chaewon tried to ignore the fact that impending doom was walking towards her.

 

“I take it that you aren’t one who accepts opportunity since they aren’t even offered to you in the first place. But here I am, giving you an opportunity. Perhaps another chance to redeem yourself. Maybe you can answer the question that you presented to me. You know it better than anyone else.”

 

The room’s atmosphere went down by several notches as Hitomi stood parallel to Chaewon’s back, her eyes boring deep into Chaewon’s soul.

 

“I don’t know the answer. To be frank, I’m not even sure that I am the right person to answer it.” Chaewon uttered as she swung the door open.

 

“Very well, you will understand it when you leave this house for a better future ahead and thank you for the cup of tea.”

 

Bowing wordlessly, Chaewon excused herself to the hallway, closing the beige door behind her. Separating the two of them each to their own thoughts.

 

Letting out a sigh, one filled with anguish and regret, Hitomi edged closer to the door, noticing how the young chef’s shadow blocked the small ray of light filtering through the gap between the door and the floorboard.

 

________________________________________________________________________________

 

It brought back memories that she wouldn’t find herself engaging in unless she needed to view it from a different standpoint, just so that mistakes wouldn’t be made and she wouldn’t let herself down.

 

“Now Miss Honda, you must understand that the myth of the ‘yellow flame’ ceases to exist and so does your love for other beings from this day forth. You must stop pursuing the idea of it so that our kind can progress.” A blurred face in the background sternly warned a younger Honda Hitomi.

 

“So you are implying that for us to simply march forward, and ignore the pools of blood that appear in the papers we publish, I need to sacrifice my own pursuits.”

 

“Yes. Well it has remarkably benefitted your predecessors-“

 

Cutting across sharply, Hitomi remarked.

 

“And yet they couldn’t bring themselves to try different methods. They are simply cowards in my eyes then. Why should I simply follow what they had advice for me when their advice had brought about the loss of lives and grief to people I don’t even know of?”

 

“Blood is blood. Inutilians will be Inutilians.” The blurred image countered.

 

“Then what? Witches are witches. Clearly, centuries of experience hadn’t forced it through your Rose-tinted glasses that Inutilians were once a part of us.”

 

“They had bad blood flowing through them.”

 

“That’s what they say. Everyone says. But we still come from the same predecessors. They simply turned against us because we looked down on them for practising magic in a peculiar way. But at the end of the day, they still used magic to benefit others. And that’s the sole purpose of magic."

 

"You've made excellent points that one cannot deny but you are still to understand that the concept of the 'yellow flame' just for you to restore peace would simply not happen."

 

"That’s what you think because everyone else thinks so. But this is something that I can easily pull off.” Hitomi rose up from her chair, anger pounding heavily in her veins.

 

“You just don’t get it, don’t you? The reason why I’m against this is because of the mistakes that your predecessors made. They found their ‘yellow flame’ along their journey as a member of this council but Inutilians extinguished their ‘yellow flame’ as a reminder of what we had done to them. This is simply for your own sake till things have slowed down and go in our favour.”

 

“It doesn’t matter to me, whether I lose my ‘yellow flame’ or not. At the end of the day, I just want answers to this war.”

 

“Then, I’m sorry since I’m not the right person to give you the answers you want. Perhaps, along this journey, you’ll find them. And when you do, treat them well. Treasure your burning flame for them. Only then could you garner the full meaning of what a ‘yellow flame’ is.” A sad voice whispered in the distance.

 

“You had one?” Hitomi pressed softly.

 

“Yes. But I’m afraid that is something that I would have to leave that story for another day. Farewell, Miss Honda Hitomi. Grand High Witch of the International Council of Magic Matters.”

 

________________________________________________________________________________

 

Dear Yena,

 

Rest be assured that I am in good hands with Miss Honda Hitomi, our grand high witch of the International Council for Magic Matters. She had kindly provided to produce the potion only at the cost of my assistance for 7 days as she seeks for a new assistant.

 

Do not miss me much for I will not do so for you. And do remember to tend to the household chores for I wouldn’t want to return home to a complete disaster. 

 

Without further ado, I must return to work and there has been a quote that I had meaning to relay. When one door closes, it leads us to another door of new beginnings. Hopefully, Miss Honda would be able to lead me to a door of new beginnings.

 

Love,

Chaewon

 

P.S. Do remember to remind me that I owe you a little date with Yuri.

________________________________________________________________________________

 

Six days befallen upon the family and the young chef but it was enough to showcase the hidden potential within her through the numerous recipes tasked upon her, each one bursting with colours as it left another mouth wanting another spoon.

 

“Would you like to explore the land before we retire to bed?” Hitomi offered as she stacked up the plates neatly with her wand.

 

“I don’t see any reason to refuse. I’ll be glad to take on the invitation.” Chaewon mused softly before waving her wand to tuck Akari’s toys into their boxes.

 

“There’s a pair of broomsticks in the cupboard next to Maya. I’ll meet you back here once I’ve tucked Akari into bed.

 

Nodding her head, Chaewon went over to rub Maya’s feathered head before uttering a spell to unlock the door which led to different items flowing out of the stuffed closet.

 

From little orbs which hissed menacingly as it touched Chaewon, to jars filled to the brim with murky substances, some that she wasn’t familiar with. There was the occasional robe that flopped out of a clothes rack as Chaewon barely avoided a snarling book which was bound heavily by pieces of ropes.

 

Shielding herself from an incoming wooden bucket which clattered on the ground, Chaewon d around the closet before latching her hand on a pair of familiar thin polished handles and yanked them out, knocking out her golden framed glasses in the process

 

Looking at the mess that surrounded her, she simply uttered a few well chosen spells which allowed the items to levitate back neatly with the door closing and latching itself with the lock as a final touch.

 

Without a single bead of sweat going down her nape, the young chef quickly bounded to the main entrance where Hitomi handed over a  Prussian Blue robe which held traces of mint green lines which glowed softly.

 

“It looks beautiful on you but I think the beholder is even more so.” Hitomi commented before hopping on her broom.

 

It took a couple of seconds before Chaewon realised that the young leader was subtly flirting with her.

 

Chuckling lightly, Chaewon latched herself on the broom before kicking off to allow the broom to hover above the ground slightly, “Oh really. When I look up at the dashing moon tonight, I can’t seem to find any difference between it and the person currently on their broom.”

 

“You seem to be complimenting yourself. You’re also on a broom, you know.” Smirking slightly, Hitomi dived upwards, leaving Chaewon to scoff before pressing forward to chase after her.

 

It wasn’t long till clouds began to impale their vision with Chaewon nearly running into a lamppost, not without the help of Hitomi’s wand which maneuvered her broom sharply past a welcome knock into the world of concussions.

 

“Hey, do you see that building. The one with the vines and all.”

 

“Yeah, I see them.” Chaewon shouted above the harsh whispers of the wind.

 

“Great. Land there safely.” Hitomi replied before tipping her broomstick forward, allowing her to sail into the clouds smoothly before touching down softly like a ballerina.

 

However, all wasn’t the same for Chaewon who knocked herself flat against the tiles of the roof as the broomstick bucked her off a storey above the building before neatly parking itself next to its counterpart.

 

“You don’t have much broomstick training up your arse, eh?” Hitomi slightly chuckled before withdrawing a little black pouch.

 

“I don’t exactly have a great relationship with them.” Chaewon muttered as she heaved herself off the ground, joints aching in every part she could imagine.

 

Shaking it slightly, the contents of the pouch clinked softly as Hitomi reached a hand in, seemingly fumbling for it.

 

Finally, she withdrew two bottles of apple cider before popping them off with her wand, allowing the sweet foams drizzle over the top.

 

Bowing slightly, Chaewon accepted the bottle warmly.

 

“Don’t worry, the alcohol content isn’t that terribly high to the point that we need congee in the morning. Anyways, a toast to a better future to everyone.” Holding the bottle up, Hitomi nodded towards Chaewon.

 

“And a toast to a better future to me and broomsticks.” Chaewon replied as she clinked her bottle.

 

After a long sip from the bottle, Chaewon enjoyed how the cider flowed down smoothly, the slight fizz tickling her senses as it made its way down steadily.

 

“Figured it would be best for you to wind down before the big day.” Hitomi uttered as she took a small sip.

 

“Thank you for this job. And the potion, of course.”

 

“Don’t bother with the thanks. You’ll get your potion and by Monday, you’ll find yourself in the kitchen.” Hitomi boasted before taking another swig from the bottle.

 

“Yeah. In the kitchen.” Chaewon muttered softly as she twirled the bottle between her fingers.

 

“You don’t seem to be in the mood. Care to explain?” Raising the bottle in Chaewon’s direction, Chaewon let out a heavy sigh before speaking.

 

“I don’t know. Like there is so much going on in my head and you keep on uttering about this ‘yellow flame’ when you go to sleep. Like you keep uttering that phrase but I’m afraid to ask you because you kept uttering it with such a pained expression that strikes me down deeply in my chest. I know for a fact that I’m not a healer but I’ve been cooking these meals with a little more compassion than I’m used to. But each night, your face becomes darker and as if you're filled with guilt each time you say.”

 

“It’s okay. You can stop right there. I’ve heard enough from your side. Perhaps it would be better for me to provide the answers you seek. This ‘yellow flame’, it has been haunting me strangely when you first entered. I could have sworn I gated it securely within the depths of my cabinet in a tiny vial, sealed with elk wood’s sap. Maybe I ingested it without my permission but for that reason I couldn’t find the answer. It was only when I found myself locked up, void of thoughts of people. You only came to mind, mentally invading every corner of the walls. Only then did it strike me that a ‘yellow flame’ is only ignited when one has found a person that could save them from anything ranging from despair and even the deepest pits of sins.

 

“Then what about your daughter, Akari?”

 

“That’s why. For years, I thought Akari was my ‘yellow flame’ but she was merely something to stem my own thoughts from consuming me internally and you came out from that fireplace and it felt different. It felt wonderful. It felt like kissing someone for the first time. That strangely unsettling feeling. Wondering if this would be good or it could go to the south. But then you find yourself drawn to it unknowingly and that’s when your feeling triumphs over anything and you yield yourself to that sweet temptation. You don’t care if your future would want more of it but you just know that you simply enjoy it as it is.”

 

“Did you ever have your first kiss?” Chaewon pressed softly before emptying her bottle.

 

“No. I know it sounds ridiculous especially when I’ve been around for a couple of centuries.” Letting a sad chuckle, Hitomi subsequently emptied her bottle.

 

“No. I don’t find it ridiculous. I think it's perfectly fine. Every decision we make is perfectly fine and unperfectly fine. First thoughts, your first kiss should be shared with someone who asks for your permission because manners obviously.” Setting down her bottle on the tile, Chaewon leaned closer to Hitomi.

 

“Second, you should share the same sentiment or it won’t really hold up to the title of the first kiss.” Inching closer, Chaewon peered through her lenses, enjoying the view before her.

 

“Lastly, your first kiss should be done by a person called Kim Chaewon.” The young chef smirked before letting down Hitomi’s bottle gently.

 

“May I have the honour to be your first kiss, Honda Hitomi?” Letting out a hand to which gently held on.

 

“Yes, you may, for I share the same feeling of love as you do.”

 

Leaning forward, the pair held a strange, unsettling feeling in their stomachs, knowing very well that it could go south if they wanted but even so, the sweet temptation of love yields over any thoughts coming from any frame of time.

 

________________________________________________________________________________

 

Alas, it was the day Chaewon said farewell to these memories for the Veribus Potion had started to emit clouds of mint green smoke, a final sign that the potion is willing to do its effect on the user.

 

Visitors came streaming into Hitomi's humble abode, starting with Yena who morphed herself into a fluffy little duck for Akari to chase around every crook and cranny of the house.

 

Chaewon’s former workmates were ushered in with Nako putting up a fake front to Hitomi who shrugged it off easily, followed by Chaeyeon who muttered a small apology to Chaewon before heading off to chase Akari around the house too. Eunbi followed the pair, a tad too late, having some trouble of her own and by ‘trouble’, Chaewon mumbled having to decide which outfit to choose for a simple gathering.

 

A wary old friend by the name of Sakura greeted them, a cherry pink wand nearly shoved up the pair’s noses before Hitomi apologised saying that Sakura had an unpleasant experience with the Inutilians causing her actions.

 

Another witch carrying a coral wand gave Hitomi a huge shock when she teleported right below the chair that Hitomi was about to settle in. Chaewon profusely apologised for Hyewon’s behaviour for her friend or the waitress for the restaurant enjoyed teleportation owing to it being a simpler way to travel.

 

With the doorbell ringing, Chaewon answered it immediately, only to find a huge present to which she delicately unwrapped to reveal a miniature version of the iconic Petronas Twin Towers with the exception of the tips being coloured in blue and candy pink respectively. Hitomi gave a hearty laugh before tapping it lightly with the tip of her wand, and a cloud of purple smoke was emitted before Yujin and Wonyoung made their appearance out of it, politely shaking Chaewon’s hand before heading in.

 

Chaewon could barely take a glance before she heard a sudden slam and out came the distinct satoori accent of Yuri who seemed to be cussing at the breathtaking pale ghostess who just glided past the front door. Chaewon could only assume the ghostess as Minjoo, the unfortunate witch that passed away due to a clumsy accident.

 

Finally, the twelve of them together with Akari having settled comfortably in her little high chair earlier on, were gathered round the table with Chaewon finally taking her place owing to her being the chef for the dinner. 

 

But before Chaewon could sit down comfortably, Sakura muttered darkly.

 

"When the duck's head swivels around till it becomes dizzy, then only will the lone born betray the table."

 

"What nonsense are you talking about, Sakura? Besides, the duck is long gone and we were never born into this world. Merely introduced is the better term." Hitomi chuckled before motioning for Chaewon to settle down.

 

A steaming hot plate of japchae laid beside numerous dishes such as an innocent bowl of devil's curry, a thick bowl of kaldereta, a crunchy plate of karaage chicken and Chaewon’s successful attempt at galbitang. Finally, the star night, sitting atop of the lazy susan, the roasted Peking duck lying serenely amidst little plates of thinly sliced spring onions, cucumber and pickled radish.

 

Upon saying their collective prayers, 13 pairs of chopsticks dove straight in as the lazy Susan turned itself around.

 

As the duck's head swiveled, rain began pouring down adding on to the dinner experience.

 

It was a peaceful evening with Yena trying to see where the food in Minju lands up, and of course, since ghosts are unable to consume anything, the food landed unceremoniously in the middle of her chair.

 

Eunbi was trying her best to feed Akari but no avail for the little toddler swiftly avoided each bite. Sighing to herself, Chaeyeon took the lead, finally getting a tiny mouthful of japchae in Akari's mouth.

 

Nako was silently criticising Chaewon’s dishes as Hyewon took huge bites of each dish with gusto. Meanwhile, Yuri was heard bickering over a plate of Karaage Chicken with the twin towers. Sakura sat silently, chewing her food precariously as her eyes darted every now and then around the room.

 

With the dishes clean of its contents and a pile of duck bones remaining on the centre, Chaewon waited patiently for Nako's verdict.

 

The whole room quietened down as Nako stood up straight from her chair.

 

"Needless to say, it is with great pleasure for you to return to us-"

 

Akari started hacking loudly, making Hitomi rush to her side to gently pat her back.

 

This only made it worse for Akari began spewing out a thick black gooey liquid which dripped on the mahogany table, splattering the others with it.

 

Hitomi drew her wand to siphon it off others, her gaze never once leaving Akari who had slumped over her own table, in a pool of the black substance.

 

Chaewon could watch on as Hitomi who slowly backed away from the table, her beige wand held steadily as if something was about to attack as the twelve of them watched as little beads of black liquid began rolling towards each other.

 

Everyone was temporarily stunned as the liquid slowly began to take a form of its own, morphing first from a pair of feet followed by the rest of a normal body. Finally ending off with the head which turned itself around mechanically till it rested itself upon the grand high witch.

 

With a sinister smile, the smooth porcelain face without any trace of eyes, nose or even ears, stretched its face widely to show endless rows of gleaming sharp canines hidden by a slit on the face.

 

With a scratchy voice like nails scraping on a blackboard, it demanded as a slick black tongue glided out, trying to desperately grasp anyone within its reach.

 

“Give me the Veribus Potion and us, Inutilians will never disturb the Witches again.”

 

"It won't have any effect on you. It only works for one person." Hitomi spat out as she gripped tightly on her wand, the white of her knuckles making its appearance.

 

"Even better then. It's Kim Chaewon right?" The monster its lips tantalizingly as it gazed around the room.

 

"Not on my watch!" Yena jumped out from behind before shooting a sharp beam of yellow light to which the monster swiftly dodged.

 

"You're messing with someone of a different agenda. So please, you may be as well on the way past the door. Your presence is no longer of use here, Choi Yena." The monster's face contorted into a wicked grin.

 

"Well, how about if I make my presence kno-" 

 

Without any warning, the slick black tongue wrapped itself around Yena rightly before pulling itself straight into the depths of its wide mouth, devouring her as shards of bones came flying out before a yellow wand covered in black goo was spat out.

 

Watching the horror unfold in front of them, everyone scrambled to fetch their wands with the exception of Minjoo who tried to form a distraction before blasting spells to the best of their abilities, however to no avail for the Inutillian simply melted into numerous tiny puddles of thick black liquid which seeped straight into the carpet before latching itselves on their victims, narrowly avoiding a rainbow of beams.

 

Chaewon, Hitomu and Akari who was peacefully sleeping were left as the final act of the night with the Inutillian finally its lips in delight, savouring everyone's soul down to the last drop.

 

"Tastes exactly like a home-cooked meal, full of soul." With a little chuckle, the Inutillian began making its way towards them.

 

"Well, do be a little sweetheart that you are and hand over Chaewon and the Veribus Potion. I hate repeating myself, you know. Makes my mouth run dry with all this cheap talk."

 

'Take Akari and head straight for the fireplace. I will form a slight opening so there's enough time for you to head back. And remember don't look back." Hitomi's voice entered Chaewon's mind.

 

Without any time to process her words, Hitomi screamed, “NOW!”

 

Doing as she was told, Chaewon jumped over the Inutilian’s sweeping tongue before scooping up Akari from her chair as bright flashes of grey went past her vision.

 

Scrambling to reach the fireplace, Chaewon grabbed a handful of Peregrinate powder as she muttered a quick spell, setting a huge fire before splaying the powder with it causing the bright orange flames to turn into a light mint green shade.

 

The frightened chef stepped in, narrowly avoiding the sharp canines which unfortunately grazed Akari’s cheeks in Chaewon’s haste.

 

Chaewon clutched on Akari tightly, who was fortunately still fast asleep amidst this chaos as they travelled through the whirling tube.

 

Piercing through the crackling flames of the fire, Chaewon heard an agonising scream before she slumped on the cold hard floor of her own house, Akari tumbling right after.

 

PLEASE. I BEG YOU. TAKE ME, NOT HER. PLEASE, SPARE SOME MERCY ON THEM AND TAKE ME. I AM SINCERELY BEGGING YOU, ONCE AGAIN. TAKE MY LIFE HOSTAGE AND NOT KIM CHAEWON!”

 

The shrill raw voice of Honda Hitomi, repeating itself over and over again as Chaewon cupped her ears tightly, praying for this madness to stop

 

However, it kept on raising at a higher pitch, the desperation becoming even more scratching before coming to a complete silent stop. 

 

To think that the absolute horror show would simply end, Chaewon had the exact words deeply engraved in her mind, from the raw desperation in Hitomi’s plea down to her name being emphasised strongly upon till she was greeted by the cold silence.

 

A slight gurgle shattered the silence forcing Chaewon to remember that Akari was right here all along.

 

Chaewon scrambled to her feet before scooping her mint green wand, the tip shakily pointing straight at the innocent while the beholder had only one desire in mind.

 

“She was the exact reason why my yellow flame has been extinguished. How else would Hitomi have easily accessed my closed mind? A soul for a soul is the only way for this madness to end.”

 

“Aunty Chaewon? What are you doing? Are we going to learn how to cast spells?” An innocent voice greeted Chaewon’s clouded thoughts.

 

The young chef stared silently at the confused child standing before her before dropping her wand which rolled effortlessly along the floor as she clapped her hands to . 

 

Dropping to her knees, Chaewon shook uncontrollably as the child glanced around the unfamiliar house before politely asking another question.

 

“Where’s Mommy?”

 

Taking a long hard look at Akari, Chaewon swallowed her saliva and lied effortlessly, trying her best to put up a brave front.

 

“Mommy has gone for a very long business trip and I’ll take care of you for the meantime.” Following that, she opened her arms widely, gesturing for Akari to jump in.

 

“Can you ask Mommy to come back with lots of sweets?” Akari mumbled into Chaewon’s shirt.

 

“Aunty Chaewon can make you sweets. Aunty Chaewon can make you anything you want.” Chaewon consoled the little child as well as herself.

 

“Well, can Aunty Chaewon ask Mommy to come back now?” There was the same hint of desperation from Hitomi that Chaewon heard from little Akari.

 

“Well, Aunty Chaewon-“

 

“-has fulfilled your wish.” A dreary voice sounded out from the musty fireplace.

 

Chaewon glanced up to see a person, riddled with scars and black goo but beyond that, emitted a warm glow in her cold heart.

 

“Mommy!” Akari broke away from Chaewon’s grip to run towards the grand high witch who dusted herself clean of dirt.

 

“I’d say, the dinner was certainly nice today. Maybe not as iconic as the first one that you made on the first night together but even so make me the same bowl of ramen, please?”

 

Chaewon could only silently stare as Hitomi abashedly mumbled, clutching on Akari who was clinging tightly.

 

“Maybe you didn’t hear that clearly, so Kim Chaewon, my stomach may be full but my heart will never be filled to the brim with your love. So Kim Chaewon, would you take the honour of making dinner tonight?”

 

Ending this off, a lone yellow flame had finally set alight, casting it’s warm glow upon this family.

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Hello, this is jdchrt here and some would be familiar with this one shot given that it is an entry to the ssambbang bakery but I have made adjustments to the plot. I may look into expanding further into this universe of magic and food with different couples but do drop in the comments if you are keen on this take. Without further ado, jdchrt out~.