Death

6 Genies = 6 Wishes

 

After a week has passed, both Zelo and Youngjae were discharged from the hospital. Unluckily for them, they had to go to school the next day since it was a monday.

"Ah, I'm still full from yesterday." Himchan whined, walking like a zombie.

"Who asked you to eat so much?" Yongguk scolded.

"But it was really good. I should totally learn that recipe."

"I think I gained some fats though." Youngjae patted his stomach.

"You've always had them." Daehyun mumbled.

"Hey! I heard that!"

Only the two maknaes were busy talking about some stuffs.

"What are you talking about?"

They both looked at me, startled. Then Zelo stuck out his tongue.

"I'm not going to tell you!"

"Why?"

"Because it's a secret between me and Jonguppie hyung. Right hyung?"

Jongup looked between us nervously and nodded."Neh."

I pouted."Fine. Don't tell me."

I walked ahead of them, me being the only one left out. After several seconds, Zelo appeared beside me.

"Are you angry?"

"No."

"Really? You seem angry."

I kept quiet, staring straight ahead.

"I didn't mean to make you angry noona!" He said.

I pretended to be even madder until I heard sobs. I turned and saw Zelo crying.

I looked at him, shocked and then gave him a big hug."Noona's just kidding. Of course I'm not angry!"

"Really?" The sobbing stopped and I saw Zelo's bright smile.

"Yah!" I shouted, realizing I was just trolled by the little brat.

Zelo stuck out his tongue and made a run for it while I chased after him.

"You better not appear in front of me anytime today or I'll make sure I wipe that smile off your pretty little face!" I shouted.

When we reached school, we parted our several ways. I was a little afraid to see Hyunah too, but I think they would feel even scared. We didn't tattle on them, so at least they won't think of doing anything to us as of the moment.

Halfway during school hours, one of the school's assistant came knocking on our door.

"Can Ms. Yong come out please?"

The teacher motioned me to go out. When I was outside, I followed the lady all the way to the office where she said a call was waiting for me.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Haejin?"

"Mum?"

"Hae-" She stopped and burst into sobs.

I panicked a little."Mum? What's wrong?"

I kept quiet, waiting for her to be calm enough to answer me.

"Your dad?"

A dreaded feeling overcame me."What about dad?"

"He...he..."

I looked around me and thank god no one was around.

"Mum. What about dad?" I asked again.

"He's got into an accident. I think you should come over."

I felt my heart stopped beating for half a second.

"He got into a car accident. The doctor said he...he won't make it. I don't know, Haejin. He was always so careful. He's a good guy. He doesn't de-"

My mum stopped to start crying again. I slammed the phone down and stared at blank space.

Accident? My dad?

The news came too fast to me, so fast I almost thought I heard wrong. It almost didn't felt real.

"Haejin haksaeng? Are you okay? Is everything alright?" The assistant asked.

I looked up at her, still not in my right mind."Can I leave early?"

She looked at the phone."Is there a problem?"

"I need to go see my dad." I said.

She looked at me uncertainly but agreed. I didn't even collect my books, just my bag and started walking home. It wasn't until I opened the door to my house when reality hit me.

My dad got into an accident. He doesn't have long to live. I don't have much time.

"Junhyung?" I called.

No answer.

He should be home.

I checked the rooms but he wasn't there. I whipped out my phone and was about to call him when I noticed a note on the table.

Haejin.

I'm supposed to go now. I'll be in Japan in the meantime and will be back in a year or so. Take good care of yourself. I'll miss you.

Junhyung.

That was all. Like that and he was gone. Especially when a time like this comes. I was alone.

I started packing. Just taking a bag, dumping a small heap of clothes inside before grabbing my passport and money. As I was just leaving the house, the genies came barging in.

"We heard." Youngjae said, looking at me worriedly.

"Where are you going?" Yongguk asked, eyeing my bag.

"I need to go to America." I pushed past them, making my way down.

"Now?" Daehyun asked.

"Yes."

"Haejin, you won't make it." Himchan said.

Tears started building up."Yes, I will."

"It's too long a flight...”

I turned around, remembering something."You guys can teleport me there or something right? I mean, this is an emergency."

They looked at me with sympathy in their eyes.

"I have two more wishes. I can use them! I'll just wish to go there and I can see my dad. It'll be as easy as-"

"Haejin." Yongguk cut me.

I looked up into his eyes which held pain."Two wishes a month. You've just finished your second one."

I felt my whole world crashing down."What?"

"You used up your last wish with Youngjae. The next month is in another two days."

"Then teleport me!" I almost shouted.

"We can't. We can only use it on genies, not humans." Jongup said.

My mouth hanged open as I fought back my own despair.

"Noona." Zelo said, clearly sharing my misery.

"Then, I have to try." I muttered, walking down to flag a taxi.

"Are you guys coming?" I asked.

"We'll meet you there. We can't go in without passports."

I nodded and told the driver where to go. I tried to get the earliest flight and took it there myself. The truth was evident, but I didn't want to believe it. Miracles can happen.

When I arrived at the airport, the genies were already there. We got into a taxi and rode in silence all the way there. Halfway through, I felt someone place his hands over mine and squeezed it.

I didn't know who but it gave me a tinge of hope. Just a little. The hospital came into view and I got even more nervous.

This was just like the time my hamster died. When I saw it didn't move, I actually kept quiet and went to my room, afraid to admit the truth. It wasn't until the next day when my dad found it out that I really gave in to it myself.

"Uh, Yong Keejoon." I said, not knowing what else to say in english.

She found the information and proceeded in leading the way. Instead of the regular ward, we were brought a different one.

But I didn't need to go in to know. All I needed was to hear my mum's loud wails to know.

My dad didn't make it.

"Are you his family?" The nurse asked in english.

Understanding a little, I nodded.

"I'm really sorry."

I nodded again without saying anything.

"Do you want to go in?" She asked.

I shook my head.

"She needs some time." I heard one of the genies say.

The nurse understood and left.

"Haejin."

"I want to be alone for awhile." I told them, leaning against the wall and squatted down.

They looked at me and decided to grant my wish. They left the place, leaving me the only person in the empty hallways.

My dad died.

It didn't feel as if he did. Everything felt like a real joke to me then.

I suddenly thought of my wishes, but then it wasn't of good use. I can't revive the dead.

I felt like crying but maybe due to the fact that the truth hasn't sinked in, I still can't process the reality in my mind.

My mother came out, eyes red and puffy. When she saw me, she burst out into tears again, bending down and giving me a hug.

It was then I felt my own tears start forming. I hugged my mother back and cried. And cried. And cried for the next hour or so.

The fact that I didn't get to see my dad for the very last time got me crying harder.

By the time I stopped, I was so sure I didn't have enough for the next couple of days to come. I felt drained off my energy.

"Mum."

She looked at me tearfully."The funeral will be held in korea. I'll settle things here so you go back first."

"I can stay with you." I suggested.

She shook her head and tucked a strand of hair behind my ear."No, I need you home."

I stared into her eyes and nodded. After staying a little longer, I decided to leave.

"I'll see you back home." I told my mum and made my way out.

The genies were sitting down at the basement, all huddled over the few seats. When they saw me, they stood up and rushed over.

"Are you okay?" Yongguk asked worriedly.

I nodded."Let's go back."

They all looked surprised."What?"

"Mum told me to. So let's go." I said.

"Then what about us?"

"I'll tell her about you when she's back." I replied, feeling tired and worn out.

They must have sensed how down I was because they kept quiet and followed me to the airport, left me alone while I met them back at home. I didn't bother changing, having been in the same clothes for about a day and a half. I closed the door, trying to ignore the genies worried glances and fell onto bed.

The tears came back again but it failed to come down as tiredness won over me and I fell asleep.

 

Genies POV;

"Is noona really sad now?" Zelo asked.

"Yes, Zelo. She's very, very sad." Jongup said as they all settled down on the floor in their room.

"I feel guilty for not being able to help." Youngjae said.

"Me too. As her genies, we should be helping her." Himchan agreed.

"It hurts to see noona in pain." Jongup said.

The others nodded.

"We should help her." Daehyun said.

"What do you mean, Daehyun?" Yongguk questioned.

"We should help her get over it." He explained.

"Like make her happy?" Youngjae said.

"But it's death we're talking about. Not heartbreak or something." Himchan pointed out.

"Then we'll just have to help her get over her father's death. It's worth a shot."

The others looked at each other uncertainly.

"What do you think Yongguk?" Himchan asked.

Yongguk kept silent and sighed."I'll go along with anything that might make her happy again."

Zelo nodded."Anything to make noona happy again."

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

crappy chapter, i know. expect more to come lol. but really, i hope i make some sense in my next chapters, i just hope it doesn't make things confusing or absurd.