Birthday Bash

6 Genies = 6 Wishes

 

I was heading to my last period of the day and as I passed by the janitor's closet, the door flung open. A hand grabbed me and before I can let out a scream, the door closed behind me, leaving me in pitch darkness.

"Who's there?!" I shouted, moving backward and sticking my hand out in case someone comes near. My back hit the shelves and something fell onto my head.

"Oww..."I reached up to rubbed my head when a hand rested upon it. I snatched my hands back and was about to yell out something else when the lights flickered room and I saw Himchan's face just inches from mine.

"Woah." I jerked my head back, only to hit onto the shelf again.

"What the hell?" I scowled at Himchan."What did you pull me in here?"

Himchan's face remained unreadable and I noticed he has inched closer.

"What are you doing?"

Himchan inched even closer until our noses were practically touching. My heart accelerated. Just when I swore he was about to reach my lips, my hand about to reach out to stop him, he leaned down.

"I need your help," He whispered.

I pushed him away, out of surprise, relief and also partly because of the tickling sensation. I swiped at my ear. Himchan smirked and crossed his arms.

"I need your help," He said again.

"What help? And can we talk somewhere else; it's really humid in here."

"No."

"Why not?"

"Because the others might find us."

"Others?" I narrowed my eyes.

"Okay, so maybe only Yongguk," Himchan said.

"Himchan?" My eyes widened a little."What about him? What are you keeping from him?"

"Yeah, about that-"

"Why aren't you telling me?"

"You're not letting me!" Himchan burst out.

I got caught off guard and then scrunched my face."Okay, don't need to shout at me."

"Anyway, I need you help? Yongguk hyung's birthday is today and I'm planning on making a surprise birthday cake for him," Himchan explained.

"Oh really? It's his birthday? Then let's go to Lotte World and celebrate!" I said happily, rushing to go wish Yongguk when Himchan pulled me back.

"No, we're holding a surprise party at your house."

I blinked."Okay?"

"And I need your help."

"To do what?"

"Bake the cake?"

"Then what are the others going to do?"

"Jongup and Daehyun are going to buy other party materials. Zelo and Youngjae will bring Yongguk to the DVD shop to buy some war videos. And you and I will be making the food."

I gave him a look."I'm really bad at cooking."

"Baking," He corrected himself.

"That too."

"Well, you can't be all that bad," He said.

I gave a half smile and shrugged."We'll see."

He gave me a weird and suspicious look."Okay, so meet me after school at the bakery store."

I nodded and we both walked out of the room, going our different ways. Last period was Chemistry and I swore I can just drop my head and die right there.

"Haejin!"

My head shot up the table."I'm sorry! I wasn't sleeping; I was just resting my e-"

I faltered when I saw that the classroom was empty except for Tijun, kind enough to wake me up. He was our school's photographer and really cute, if not for him hiding his face behind those thick glasses. He gave a small chuckle.

"Class's over. I just wanted to wake you up."

"Ah, okay. Thank you." I turned away, wanting to pack up my stuff when he started talking again.

"And..." I looked at him as he pointed to the corner of his lips."You have something there."

I reached up to touch my lips and felt something wet. My eyes shot open and I quickly wiped it away. Tijun laughed heartily and waved goodbye. I groaned inwardly as I shoveled my back on my shoulder. As I grudgingly made my way to the front gates, I almost didn't notice Himchan until he called me.

"I was waiting for you!"

"Sorry."

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing."

"Hey, you have a pen ink here." Himchan reached out and swiped his thumb on my cheek a few times.

Great. I bet Tijun was doing all he can not to take out his camera and start taking pictures of me and my messed up face.

Still in a bad mood, Himchan noticed it and used his forefinger to lift my mouth up into a smile. Glaring at him, I wanted to hit his shoulder when my hand went a little out of control and ended punching him in the face.

"Ah! What the ?!" Himchan hissed, rubbing his cheeks.

My hands flew up to my mouth."Oh gosh! I'm so sorry! I wasn't planning to hit your face!"

"Yeah, you weren't." He gave me a look.

"No seriously! I wasn't! My arm just acted out on its own."

Himchan pushed me harshly on the shoulders and I only toppled over."Sorry, my arm acted out on its own."

I gritted my teeth."You sure bear grudges don't you?"

"At least now you know." He harrumphed.

I rolled my eyes."Drama queen."

"Shut up before I use my magic on you."

Himchan walked ahead of me and I made faces behind of him, giving a useless kick in the air. We walked into the bakery store and got what we wanted.

"So, I guess you have to be good in baking."

"Why so?"

"Because I'm not good in it?"

"I'm sure you can't be worse than the rest of them."

"Uh-huh."

We arrived at my apartment and we got ready the ingredients.

"Okay! First, you break the eggs while I put the cream into the piping bag," Himchan instructed.

I looked at the 5 eggs, wanting to ask him for help but decided not to.

"How hard can it be, right?"

Wrong. For my first egg, I was having a really hard time breaking the shell.

"Hit harder!" Himchan said, noticing my difficulty.

I heeded his advice and brought the egg down onto the side of the bowl. My strength must have been too much because the eggs all cracked and the liquid inside oozed out onto the table in a mess. Himchan sighed and told me to try again.

The second one was better; except I have eggs shells inside and I spent 15 minutes trying to dig out every one of them. The third and fourth was fine but I accidently let the fifth one flow out of my hand and onto the floor.

"Haha," I said nervously as I saw Himchan's agitated face.

"Okay, now pour the flour slowly into the egg and butter mixture."

I nodded and poured it, tilting it a bit too the left as the content spilt onto the floor.

"Yah!" Himchan shouted.

"I'm sorry?" I squeaked.

"Why can't you even do this properly?" He said desperately.

"Oh, come on. You don't have to be that serious," I pushed his shoulders lightly.

Something must have clicked inside of him because a smile appeared on his face."Not serious huh?"

I was about to agree when he grab a fistful of flour and rubbed it onto my face. I moved away, only to slip on the flour spilt on the floor. Himchan was laughing his heads off.

I got up, grabbed the flour and dumped it's content all over his head. His laughter ceased as mine started.

"You look horrendous!" I laughed.

And like that, our baking mission turned into a flour battle. The kitchen was a mess and everywhere I see, it was covered in a blanket of whiteness. I moved forward, about to throw another fist of flour at Himchan when I slipped and tumbled forward. Himchan, who was in front of me caught me and fell down himself. The impact was there but of course much lighter and I found myself staring back at Himchan's black orbs.

It seemed as though time stopped right there and I was frozen for a moment before regaining my mind. I pushed myself off of him, dusting my clothes off the flour. Himchan stood up after me, ruffling his hair, sending flour down on me.

"Oh man, what are we supposed to do with this?" I sighed.

"We've run out of flour too."

In the silence, the same idea came into both our heads.

"Let's just buy a cake." We both said at the same time.

We laughed and agreed on the idea, hoping Yongguk won't prod much into it as we started cleaning up the kitchen. It was around evening we were done and with a cake settled. Jongup and Daehyun were also back decorating the house and we got a call from Youngjae saying there were coming up.

Jongup off the lights and we parked ourselves behind the door, candle lit and party poppers in our hands. When the door opened and we saw Yongguk, all of us jumped out immediately.

"Happy birthday!"

Yongguk, who was clearly taken aback, gave a laugh. We saw as he blew the candle out and cut the cake.

"What did you wish for hyung?" Zelo asked.

"You can't say it out. Or else it won't work," I told him.

"But can't you even give a hint?"

Yongguk shook his head.

"It better be about money." Youngjae whispered under his breath.

After the cake, we forced ourselves to watch the war movies with Yongguk since it was his birthday. Everyone fell asleep halfway and I tried keeping myself awake although it was clear I was about to nod off anytime. I heard a deep chuckle.

"Go to sleep if you're tired. There's still school tomorrow," Yongguk said.

I shook my head, patting my cheeks."No, I'll watch with you. I'm not tired."

"It's fine. I can watch this by myself."

I frowned."Do you not want me to watch it with you?"

"No, it's just-"

"Then keep quiet and watch the show."

Yongguk get his mouth shut but it wasn't until a few minutes later that he spoke up.

"Thank you."

I turned to look at him."For what?"

"For these."

I waved my hands dismissively."It was purely the genies idea. I just went along with it. And I didn't get you any birthday presents, so you should be thanking the genies instead."

Yongguk smiled and shook his head."No. If it weren't for you, we wouldn't be sent down here. We wouldn't have met you; I wouldn't have celebrated my birthday like we did today. If it weren't for you, none of this would have happened."

I kept quiet. I didn't have anything to say to this.

"That time when you said you wanted to be our sister. Was it out of pity or real?"

"It was real. Does it not seem real to you?"

Yongguk shook his head."It's just that I've never had a sister before. None of us had actually."

"Because you guys don't have parents," I repeated what they said last time.

Yongguk nodded."And we've never experienced love. Maybe the 6 of us have the brotherly type. But, in our world, there's no such thing as romance, where a girl like this boy and such."

My eyes widened. Yongguk laughed at my expression.

"Seriously?" I asked.

"Seriously. That's why we were fascinated by so much love going around on Earth. We saw it everywhere."

"Do all genies want to try being in love?"

"Some of us want to try it, but we don't take it seriously. Our world is in the other dimension, not here. We don't know how love is, how we're supposed to feel or act so we don't do anything to change that fact."

"But there are girls in your world, right?"

"Yes."

"So aren't there times when you maybe feel attracted to her?"

"Maybe. But we won't know, would we?"

"Like dismiss whatever feelings you get?"

"Yes."

"Oh."

"Yeah."

"That's a pretty sad life you guys have there."

Yongguk laughed."You've got that right."

"Hey, but in this world there are many complications linking up to love so at least you guys won't have to worry about growing white hairs so early."

Yongguk didn't laugh like I expected, but instead looked at me closely."Like you and Byunghun?"

My heart clenched."Yes, like me and Byunghun. Love can really stink sometimes."

Yongguk looked at me one more time before turning his gaze from back to the television.