Ocean waves

Behind Blue and Pink Petals

Idk, pining? Watching from afar and a ton of descriptions

how to not rip hair out at not knowing how to oneshot or Drabble?

Gah, my writing is kinda rusty 

anyway, enjoy

--[…]--
 

It was supposed to be a normal day for Irene. To make her jogging rounds on the sidewalk near the sandy beach that was nearby.

Irene looked around as she moved, watching the pink sky turn baby blue. The beach smelled of seaweed, unpleasant but manageable. Waves swept over the light sand while she ran past them.


She stopped for a moment to catch her breath and rubbed her brows. It was probably better to keep going but her feet were sore. Irene placed her hands to her hips and turned to lean on the rails.


There's a figure in the distance, it catches her eyes. Said figure seems to be walking on the seashore, occasionally hunching over to pick something up.


Seashells?


Irene squinted to look closer.

No she wasn't being weird, it was just inspecting. The beach was the closest thing she could call a hideaway so naturally she'd be defensive about it.

With what her vision could allow, the figure was a young woman, probably a few years younger than Irene. She had pale hair tied back to a ponytail and a small basket under her arms.

There's a serene look on her face, alas Irene's eyesight was poor so she could be mistaken. The girl could have a deadpan face for all she knew.


Seashell collecting huh?

But Irene has never seen her before.

Was she new to the neighborhood?


Best not to intrude. She moved away slowly, watching the woman look around and calmly walk on sand with her feet touching the water. Irene sighed internally and walked away, returning to her jogging.




A few days later the seashell collecting lady never failed to come every early morning when the tide was low and the sun was gentle. Irene would know, she'd see her occasionally as she jogged along the sidewalk.

Irene would be lying if she said that she only saw the lady while she ran. Sometimes, she'd stop for a few minutes to watch, both intruiged and temporarily dazed by the peacefulness the woman seemed to be in.


Uncomfortability pulled on her strings one day as she paused to tie her shoe. Irene had already sworn to herself that she wouldn't dare disturb the lady of her peace but she doubted herself.


No, no she's not going to do that.


She's not going to stroll up to the woman and just say Hi! I'm Irene and I've been watching you pick up seashells for three weeks, how's the collection going? That would be really weird. Completely out of character too, Irene was no extrovert so she wasn't going to act like one for some seashell collector.


But the seashells...


Irene shook her head.

 

 

Maybe next time.

 

Irene began to stand and go back to following the path, but her feet had moved slowly towards the steps going down to the sand. Trying to pull away, Irene backed up but it made things much more annoying. Her feet didn't push back at all, rather they broke into a fast pace as Irene unintentionally dashed down the steps and stumbled into the sand.


Her friends would definitely laugh at her.

 

But it didn't care anymore.

 

She searched her pockets, patting it lightly as she pulled herself to her feet. 
 

 

How long has she held onto this anyway?

This cold tellin shell.

It had been a while, Irene picked it up a few months ago way before the lady started coming to walk on the sand.

 


Irene brushed her fingers over its smooth surface and sighed.

Now or never, she thought.

 

The water glittered a pale white and danced in streaks of yellow, reflecting the early sun. Everything felt awkward but Irene still made her way slowly towards the woman who glided over the sandy shore. The shores called out to her and the sunlight slowly began to burn.

Irene felt the cold surface of the shell twist in her hand, her fingers fidgeting with the object that belonged to the ocean.

 

The woman had stopped, freezing in her spot. Has time slowed down or had she noticed Irene's presence?

 

She opens to speak, it's a strangled sound of fear.


"Excuse.. excuse me, miss, did you uh, did you.. drop something?"

 

The woman turns to look at her, the wind billowing on her long blue skirt, dancing through her pale orange hair. Irene's stomach churns, twisting rapidly as her cheeks burn a bright red. The basket in the woman's hands seems almost full, Irene wishes that the shell she holds would be able to fit.

Irene could barely hear the woman's voice past the sea waves, "Oh?"

"Here."

Small hands move to take the rosy shell, Irene swallows internally.

"Ah, this, hm.."

The lady her head with a knowing smile, "Is this a gift?"


Shoot.

"I..."

She watches the woman laugh, the symphony gentle but beautiful. "It's alright, don't worry. I've seen you a couple of times."

 

Irene's cheeks flush and she looks away in embarrassment. "S-same to you..."
 


"I guess one of us had to make the first move, right?"
 
"R.. right..."
 
 
"I'm Wendy, you?"

"Irene."
 
 
Wendy, a fitting name.
 
Wendy, a name even the ocean would praise.
 
--[…]--
Aaaa finally done,
had to finish this before finals so uh, here you go!
my writing is so unusal right now DDD: