Chapter 8 - Her Birthday

In Your Arms

Day by day, we ran our routine activities. Me taking care of students’ council stuff and studying for my last year at senior high school were quite tiring, and that made us some kind like having ‘boring’ schedule. Beside those boring activities, me and Mina got closer to each other and she was getting better at handling her anxiety every time she was with me or anybody else.

We had our regular work out every weekend and my scars were fading slightly and less painful. Thanks to the cute nurse Mina.

Dahyun and Tzuyu came over to out penthouse around two times a week to have a study time together with Mina. I was happy to see them interacted and enjoyed their youth time. Sometimes, Mina went out together with them too, of course after asking my permission.

One morning, I was still at my office at school, suddenly I was thinking about Mina’s birth date. I realized that I did not know about that yet, and I thought it would be nice to celebrate together.

Then, I checked the students’ transferred data to find Mina’s birthday. 24 March 1997… Ow, it would be in three more days and she was going to turn 17 years old. Usually, people celebrate their 17th birthday with spectacular event and big celebration. Alright, I made some plans that day and asked help from my BFFs, Tzuyu, and Dahyun.

 

At penthouse

“What are you doing, Minayaaah?” I plopped down myself at the sofa while munching some chips.

“Games, eonnie…” she was engaged in the game seriously.

“Aaa,” I fed her with chips.

“Thanks, eonnie,” she shortly replied without looking at my direction, but I just let her play. It was fun to see Mina’s face when she had to kill the bad guys in the game.

After she finished playing, she put down the phone and grabbed some of chips. Then I asked, “Is that your favourite game?”

“Yes, kind of… I like playing Minecraft,” she said smiling.

“I see… what is the hyped game nowadays? I never know about it actually.” I asked.

“Hmm… a lot of them, eonnie… Animal Crossing is one of the most famous game right now,,, but it is not compatible on phone… you need to have console, first..” she explained and I just nodded.

“Can you show me how does it look like? It sounds cute, is it about animal?” I pretend to be curious.

“Yeah, let me find the video at youtube,,, Here, eonnie, watch this,,” I scooted closer to her so that I can see properly.

“Aaawww so cute, Minaaaa,,, so the player will have animals as the neighbours and they can design their own island, right?” I reacted.

“Yes, eonnie,,, many players around the world play this game because it is cute,” her eyes smiled.

“What console is needed, then?” I asked again.

“Nintendo Switch, eonnie,,,” she answered.

Then, I searched some information about Nintendo Switch and Animal Crossing. I wanted to give it to Mina as her birthday present. I bought the console online and I chose the Animal Crossing special edition series for her. It was soooo cute with minty colours.

After that, I told my friends about throwing a simple party for Mina. I believe she would prefer a private party with people she knew and comfortable with. I also called Mom, asking Dad’s schedule that maybe they could pay a short visit to celebrate together.

Beside the simple party for Mina, I also planned for the midnight candle blowing for her, only me and her.

 

Minutes before 12.00 AM, 24 March.

I set my alarm 10 minutes before the D-day midnight. I took the wrapped gift and got out from my room quietly, heading to the kitchen where I hid the small birthday cake.

I slowly opened Mina’s room and saw that Mina was asleep peacefully. I brought in the present and put it next to her bed since it was heavy. Then, I came back again with the birthday cake and three candles lit up.

11:59 - I sat down on her bed and tapped her arm. I whispered, “Mina,,, Mina,,, wake up.”

Still closing her eyes, she replied, “What happen, eonnie? What time is it?”

12:00 – I sang softly, “Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday, Happy Birthday, Happy Birthday to you,,,”

She was surprised and checked her phone to see the date, and she was just staring at me with teary eyes while I was singing for her.

“Make a wish, now, Mina,” I asked her.

Sobbing a little, she closed her eyes and folded her hands,,,

I wish for our happiness, eonnie. That’s it.

She opened her eyes and blew the candle, “Happy 17th Birthday, Minayaaah,,,” I hugged her with my left arm. “I pray that you will always be healthy and happy, dear,” I rubbed her back.

I put the cake on the table and took the gift, “This is for you,,, hope you like it, Minaa,,, open up,,”

“Eonnie, you don’t ha –“ I cut her sentence.

“No excuse, Mina… it is your birthday, you have the right to receive a gift,,, now open it,” I instructed her.

She tore the wrap paper and shouted, “Jinjjaaa, eonnie?? You gave me Nintendo Switch?” she opened , could not believe it.

“Yess, jinjaa, Minaaa….” I smiled at her.

“Omo,,, complete with the games, too? Ani” her reaction was so cute; she mentioned each game’s title excitedly, “Animal Crossing, Super Mario Party, Minecraft, and Zelda!! Aaawww,, I am so happy, eonnie…thank you so much,” she hugged me this time.

“My pleasure, Mina…. I tapped her back,” I was also happy to see her satisfied face.

But then, she cried,,, “Hey, don’t cry, dear..”

“My father never celebrated my birthday anymore since I was 5 years old… that is why I kind of forget about it… and now you celebrate it and give me a gift…” she sobbed.

“Huuush…huussh, Mina… From now on, you will not feel sad anymore. I will always remember your birthday and celebrate it together every year,” I tried to calm her.

“Thank you, eonnie,” I wiped her tears ran down to her cheeks.

I lifted up her chin, “Hey, smile, princess,, it is your special day,, enjoy it, okay,” I smiled at her. “Those games are waiting for you.”

She chuckled, “Yes, yes,,, I will be occupying the TV outside, eonnie.”

“As long as you are happy, Mina,” I assured her. “Alright, I think I am going back to my room to sleep now.” I got up from her bed but then I felt her hand was on mine.

“Eonnie,,” she called me, “Can I have an additional gift?”

“Yes of course, if I can grant it, Mina.. what is it?” I asked.

“Ca – can you stay here tonight?” she asked shyly.

“That’s it?” I questioned her and she just nodded.

I moved the gift on her bed to the table, “Of course, Minayaaah,,, anything for you.”

Eonnie granted my wish?? Yeeaaayyyy… I am spending my 17th birthday with a special person right next to me.

She moved aside to give me some space, and we were covered under the blanket and our side profile brushed to each other. We stayed silent for a while, adjusting with this kind of position, our second time sleeping at the same bed.

Then I asked Mina, “Minaa, so what happened when you were 5 years old? Something that you said before?” she looked at me. “Only if you are ready to share with me, Mina..” I smiled at her.

“My mother died when I was 5 years old, she got this bad fever and could not survive. After that, I lived with my Dad and moved here to Korea,” she told the story.

“Soooo, that what made you feel uncomfortable with physical connection?” I wanted to know more.

“Yes, one of the causes was that I lost my Mom and I never got any hugs anymore or warmth from my Dad…. And actually…. He treated me bad,” she almost cried.

I hold her hand under the sheet, “Oh, my poor princess, I am so sorry to hear that, Minayaaa..”

“It is okay, eonnie….for almost 12 years I lived in that kind of life, I get used to it… get used to his drinking habit, gambling, and also hitting me when he was not sober,” she sobbed.

“Come here, princess,” I opened my arms and tapped my right shoulder.

She just stunned and looked at me.

“I want to hug you, Mina,” from sobbing, her face turned to red.

Hugging me? Sober… on my bed… on my birthday… our bodies going to be closer and attached… and by the way, laying my head on her chest, close to her mounds and she is just wearing her revealing sleepwear. Geez,,, what a perfect condition to make my heart drums uncontrollably.

She placed her head on my right chest hesitantly and I just engulfed her tightly.

Oh my… she squeezed me… I can slightly feel her s on my face and see a bit of her cleavage, too. I just closed my eyes after that. I just looked at her face, so I will not think such a naughty one. I placed my right hand on her tummy.

I giggled when Mina’s hair brushed my neck, but I just pretend to be cool and started to her hair, “I don’t know how your Mom looked like and treated you, Mina… but since she is not with you right now, maybe I can be a little help to replace your Mom’s place… my arms are always open to hug you when you need comfort and warmth; my lips are willing to kiss you goodnight before you sleep,, on your forehead,, hmm.. what else? Basically just tell me anything, Mina… if I can give it, I will, okay…”

She giggled, “Okay, Eomma,,,”

I said, “Haish,, I am an Eomma right now…” we laughed in the middle of the night.

If the heavens hear me, you will also be my lover, Nayeon eonnie eomma…

I kissed her forehead, “Happy Birthday once again, Mina, and good night, dear.”

“Thank you, eonnie,, Good night, too,” she kissed my cheek in a sudden, giggled and closed her eyes pretend to sleep.

“Yaaa…” I want to protest but I just smiled and tightened my hug around her slender body. Her action just woke my other butterflies from their sleep stage. I was kind of missing this kind of cheesy moment like what I had before with Sana.

 

In the morning

Mina’s birthday was on Saturday, so basically we could just stay lazy at her bed that morning. But then I felt colder since she was not in my embrace anymore.

“That kid, she must be preparing breakfast right now…” I stayed for a while and got out from her room and found her busy at the kitchen.

“Morning, birthday girl..” I greeted her and sat down on the dining chair. “Why are you so early?”

“Morning, Eonnie… I am early cause I cannot wait to test my Nintendo Switch you gave me,” she bluntly said.

“Yaaaa… I think I will be your number 2 now,” I folded my arms.

“Aniyooooo…. I am just too excited, eonnie… Don’t be jealous… we can play together, remember…? I will teach you, eonnie..” she laughed.

“Promise, okay…” I said.

“Cross my heart,” she acted it out and made a cross sign. We both laughed and enjoyed our morning together.

Then after eating our breakfast, she set up the Nintendo Switch and plugged it to the TV, so she could play with the big screen and I could also watch her play. She chose the Animal Crossing game that morning, and without her knowing, actually I bought another Switch but the light one.

So, I took it from my room and showed it to her.

“Eonnniieee…jinjjaaa.. yeaayy we can visit each other island then…” she was so happy.

I could tell that she was really a gamer. We spend our morning and afternoon playing Animal Crossing together so we could achieve the same level. Luckily it was not a racing or fighting game, so I could keep up. Then after we reached certain level, we could visit each other island.

We stopped playing for while since our tummies started to grumble. The maids prepared some bibimbap and we ate them at the living room.

After I finished eating, I texted the surprise team party that I would take Mina out for a while and they could start decorating my penthouse and prepared everything.

It was around 3 p.m. and I asked Mina, “Minaaaa… I think we have to buy some casing for our Switch, is it?”

“Hmm… yes that is true, eonnie, so it is protected,” she agreed.

“How about we go out for a while and buy the cases, and maybe have a snack after?” I suggested.

“Sounds good, eonnie,, let’s do it,” she tidied up the console and living room, then changed her clothes.

Mr. Kim drove us to the nearest gadget centre to find the case. I texted Jeongyeon, telling that we were already out from the penthouse.

We were outside for around 3 hours before the surprise party preparation was done. Mina chose the clear hard case for her Switch and I chose the purplish colour. We also stopped by a coffee shop to drink coffee and eat cakes. It was a nice time spending our afternoon together and just chilled out. I read my book and Mina just browsed the internet, comfortably leaning her head on my arms.

At some point, I was thinking about moving on from Sana. I thought I found my happiness again in Mina, and she was worth fighting for. I looked up to the sky and like asked Sana, are you happy up there if you see me moving on? I really need your sign, Sana.

Jeongyeon’s text woke me from my thought. She said that everything was ready, even my Mom and Dad were already at the penthouse.

“Let’s go home, Mina, and continue our game,” I asked.

“Okie dokie, eonnie,” she said.

We arrived back at our penthouse around 6 p.m. Mina opened the main door and it was dark, “Eonnie, why is it dark?”

“SURPRISEEEE!!!!” everyone shouted. The lights turned back on and Mina was so touched by it.

The room was decorated mainly with turquoise, pink and purple colour. Jihyo and everyone really did such a good job.

Mina just stunned there, admiring the decoration, and looking at the people gathered. I hold her shoulders from the back and guided her to the living room where everyone was waiting.

Dahyun and Tzuyu threw the confetti and the music started. Then, they sang the Happy Birthday Song and clapped their hands.

Mina reached the centre of the living room where there was a 3-tier of birthday cake with ballerina figurine on top of it. I never left her side.

The song ended and she made a wish again before blowing her second candle.

It is still the same though. I wish for everyone’s happiness.

“Wooohoooo…” Jeongyeon made some noises after she blew the candle.

Mom and Dad hugged her, “Happy 17th Birthday, dear,” Mom and Dad also kissed her forehead.

“Thank you so much, Mom and Dad, you spend your time to visit me,, I know you must have been very busy, Dad,” she said.

“No worries, Mina, you are my daughter, too, right?” Dad smiled.

“Enjoy your day, dear,,,” Mom said and handed a rectangle gift box. “Hope you like our present,” she smiled.

“May I open it right now?” she happily asked.

“Yes, dear,” Mom replied.

“Wh-what??? Plane tickets to Japan?” she covered .

“Yes, you can spend your first semester holiday in Japan, Mina,” Dad said.

Mina hugged both of them, “Thank you, Mom and Dad,,”

Jeaong, Ji, Dahyun, and Tzuyu hugged Mina and gave her birthday presents.

We enjoyed scrumptious meal, snacks, beverages, and some sweet desserts prepared by Mom’s chosen catering. Everything went well and I was smiling to see that she was happy that day.

Mina waved goodbyes to our friends and she bowed her head to show her gratitude for all of them, “Thank you so much, eonnies, Dahyun, Tzuyu for coming here and prepared all of this surprise.”

“We are just your eonnie’s slaves, Mina… she was the one who behind all these,” Jeongyeon teased while I gave him a death glare.

Mina just smiled shyly hearing Jeong’s words. “Happy Birthday once again, Mina.. hope you like our gifts.. see ya at school..” DahTzu ended the conversation.

Mina closed the door and faced me sighing, “Is it true what Jeongyeonnie said before?”

I just shrugged my shoulders and asked back, “Are you happy?”

She just nodded and pursed her lips, “Then that is what matter most for me,, your happiness,” I tucked her hair behind her ears.

She hugged me, her hands behind my neck, “I also want to make you happy, eonnie.”

I reciprocated her embrace, “You do it every day, Mina… being with you is my happiness.” She smiled even though I could not see her pretty face.

 

We ended that day by Mina opening all her gifts and she kept Mom’s plane tickets in her drawer.