Chapter 6 - The Check Up

In Your Arms

It was our second week of school. Like usual, Mina prepared lunch boxes for both of us. I smiled seeing her so focus and put her effort every morning. We went to school, dropped my bag at the Student Council Room and I escorted her to class.

“Don’t forget to choose your extra school activity, okay, Mina.. It will start tomorrow,” I said before going back to the office.

“Okay, eonnie… Have a great day,” she said and I smiled back.

 

Mina’s POV

I sat at the middle row and prepared my stationeries and books. Then, there was someone tapped my shoulder and I jolted a little bit. This was the first time someone tried to talk to me.

“Sorry, may I sit here?” a tall and pretty student asked me to sit next to me. But still Nayeonnie is the prettiest.

“Oh.. Yes, you may sit here,” I said.

“I’m Tzuyu, a transferred student from Taiwan,” she introduced herself.

“I’m Mina, also a transferred student from Japan… nice to meet you, Tzuyu,” I replied.

“Nice to meet you to,” she said.

Then the teacher came and we started the lesson. Tzuyu was a nice person, I felt that she can be my friend, since it is impossible for me to only have Nayeonnie in my life, right. I have to socialize as well to reduce my anxiety when I am with other people.

During the English and Chemistry lesson, we talked and shared about the topic, since the teacher asked us to discuss with our seatmates.

The bell rang and it was lunch time. I was about to take out my lunch box, but then, Tzuyu asked, “Do you want to have lunch together at the cafeteria?”

“Is it okay with you? I mean maybe you have other friends to eat lunch with,,” I asked.

“Yes, it is fine with me…my friend will join us later, she is from 1B class.” She replied.

“Okay, then, thanks for asking,” I smiled at her.

We walked to the cafeteria and Tzuyu linked her arms with mine. I tried to show that I was not bothered by it. That is what a friend does, just like anybody else. But, I realized that this feeling was different with when Nayeonnie linked her ams with mine. There was no butterfly awaken in my tummy when Tzuyu did it. Maybe because I have a crush with Nayeonnie. Yes, it must be because of that. While my mind wandered around, we arrived at the cafeteria.

“How about we sit here, Mina?” Tzuyu asked me.

“Yes, that would be fine,” we sat down and took out our lunch boxes.

When I was about to eat, Tzuyu waved her hand to a girl, a pale girl to be exact, “Dayhun…here…”

“Oh, Hi, Tzuyu…and…” she asked.

“Oh, I am Mina,” I introduced myself.

“I am Dahyun and I am Tzuyu’s friend… may I sit here?” she asked.

“Yeah,,, of course,” I smiled.

Then, three of us having lunch together at the cafeteria. While eating, I felt that my phone buzzed. I checked it and it was a text from my cute eonnie.

From: Cute Eonnie ❤️

Where are you, Minayaaa?

To: Cute Eonnie ❤️

I am at the cafeteria, eonnie… having lunch with new friends

From: Cute Eonnie ❤️

😔😔😔 you got friends already? Eonnie is lonely.

To: Cute Eonnie ❤️

Aniyo, eonnie… you are still my number one.. ❤️

From: Cute Eonnie ❤️

I am kidding, Mina.. I am happy if you have new friends. I will see you there.

 

I continued eating and then my eonnie came.

“Minayaaa,,,,” eonnie called my name.

“Yes, eonnie,” I replied.

“Eonnie? She is your eonnie?” Tzuyu widened her eyes, knowing that Nayeon is the Student Council President.

“Yes, technically,” she smiled and offered her hand to Tzuyu.

“I am Tzuyu,” she said

“The transferred student from Taiwan, then.. hope you enjoy your study here, Tzuyu,” my eonnie smiled.

Then, Dahyun, suddenly got up from her chair and hugged Nayeonnie. I was startled and felt a little bit hurt in my chest. Not that I hate Dahyun or her action, but I hate it when I could not do the same thing freely like her. Not yet. It is still a long way to go that I have with Nayeonnie.

“Eonnieee,” Nayeon reciprocated her hug.

“Hey, kiddo,,,” she ruffled Dahyun’s hair and broke the hug. “Happy to see you here… sorry I haven’t got the time to check on you before.”

“It is okay, eonnie.. I know that you are busy,,, Jihyo eonnie took care of me, though.. and by the way, how come this cute Mina can be your sister?” Dahyun replied.

“Cute Mina?? So you think my sister is cute, huh?” Nayeon smirked. “But she is mine, Dahyun,” she made me blushed by telling my new friends that kind of thing.

“Eonnie yaaaahh…” I pouted.

Then Eonnie sat together with us, chit chatting while we waited for the bell to ring.

“So, Tzuyu, how do you feel so far studying here?” Eonnie asked.

“Hmm..it is so nice, Nayeon-ssi,” she said,

“You can call me eonnie, because you are my sister’s friend, okay,” she replied.

“Okay, eonnie,” Tzuyu replied.

“So girls, which extra school activity that you choose?” Eonnie asked all of us.

Dahyun said, “I will be taking dance class… how about you, guys?”

Me and Tzuyu said at the same time, “Me too!”

“Woooaa,,, so three of you will join the dance class together,,take care of my lil’ sis here, okay..”

“No worries, eonnie,” Tzuyu said.

“Eonnie, how are you? Do you still do the check up regularly?” Dahyun suddenly asked and it made me widened my eyes.

What is this check up means? Does Eonnie have a sickness that I do not know?

Nayeon seemed surprised too, but tried to act normally, “Oh, Yeah,, I am fine, kiddo,, Maybe I will do this check up again next week.” She looked at me with worry.

“Good then, eonnie… I really hope that you heal faster,” Dahyun said, rubbing eonnie’s back.

“Thank you, Dahyun aah..okay, I guess I will go back to the office… you guys enjoy the break time okay,” Eonnie got up and left us. She seemed uncomfortable with the topic just now.

I packep up my lunch box and told my friends that I wanted to go to the restroom. “See you at class, Tzuyu,,, nice to meet you, Dahyun.”

“See ya, Mina,” both of them waved goodbyes.

I went to the restroom first then I headed to the Student Council Room to see Eonnie. I knocked on the door and came in. I saw Eonnie stood up leaning on her table and covered her face. I thought that she sobbed.

“Eonnie….are you okay?” I softly asked and approached her closer.

She did not answer me. But suddenly she hugged me and sobbed on my shoulder. I was shocked by the embrace (by her soft front, but it is not the right time to think about it) and just gave time for her to calm down. I rubbed her back, “It is okay, eonnie, calm down.. I am here.”

After like 5 minutes, she stopped sobbing and broke the hug. She wiped her tears and said, “I am afraid, Mina.”

“Afraid of what, eonnie? Maybe you want to share a little bit more,” I was so sad and concerned.

“Sorry if I haven’t told you about this. But Dahyun was right. I have this monthly check up at the hospital and next week is going to be my next schedule.” She explained.

“But now you have me, right? I will accompany you, eonnie,” I kindly smiled at her and held her hands.

“Yes..yes.. I know Mina… I have you now.. It is just too scary for me every time I have to go to the hospital. Hopefully, you can bear with me later,” She said.

“I will eonnie, do not worry, okay,” I assured her.

“Okay, thank you, Minayaaahh… sorry for crying earlier,” she shyly admitted.

“No worries, eonnie, I like it when you share your burden with me,” I smiled and she smiled too. “I will go back to class, okay,” I said.

“Yup, see you after school,” She said and I nodded.

 

Back to Nayeon’s POV

Geez, why on earth Dahyun needed to say that in front of Mina. Made me feel terrified with all the hospital things and another point was that I haven’t talked about this to Mina. I didn’t want her to know about me from anybody else. But it happened already and Mina took it nicely. I just hope that my condition  wouldn’t change her mind about me.

After school hours, like usual, Mina waited for me at the office. I found her playing a game on her phone.

“What game do you play, Mina?” I asked.

“Oh, I just started this Minecraft game, eonnie,” she answered.

“Alright, as long as you enjoy it, okay,,,” I replied.

 

Our second week ran like usual. We studied at school, join the extra school activity, which was dance for Mina and I continued my debate club. Mina got closer with Dahyun and Tzuyu, and I was glad to see that she got good companies. Then, my check up day came. It was on Saturday. I got the morning schedule so after we ate breakfast, we went to the hospital right away.

I wore a button up shirt with jeans, while Mina wore a simple T-shirt with khaki pants. When we arrived at the hospital, I registered at the front counter and waited for my name to be called.

While we waited, Mina asked, “Eonnie, sorry to ask you, is this checking up thing related with your past experience that you told before?”

“Uh huh…” I just nodded at her. “I think you will hear about it later from the Doctor.”

“Okay, eonnie,” she patiently waited with me.

“Ms. Im Nayeon,” the nurse called my name. Me and Mina got up and entered the doctor’s room.

“Good morning, Dr. Hirai,” I greeted the doctor that was actually my friend too.

“Morning, Nayeon-ssi.. Who accompany you today? I haven’t seen her before. Usually you come with Jeongyeon or Jihyo-ssi,” she asked.

“Oh, let me introduce her, this is Mina, my step sister,” the doctor offered her hands to Mina.

“Nice to meet you, Doctor Hirai,” Mina shaked her hand and bowed.

“Nice to see you, Mina,,, you must be the one who takes care of your baby eonnie, here,” the Doctor chuckled and Mina just smiled.

“Alright, let’s see about your progress, Nayeon-ssi,” the Doctor pointed at the bed where I should lay down. “Mina, you can come here also, help your sister a little bit,” the Doctor added.

I sat down on the bed and the doctor said, “Take off your shirt, Nayeon-ssi.”

“What?” Mina accidentally blurted out.

“Yes, Mina, I need to check on her ribs and arms. Can you help her with that, and you can hang the shirt over there,” the Doctor instructed.

Take off her shirt. Shirtless Nayeon with only her bra. My face turned to tomato colour, just to imagine that. Eonnie starts to open her buttons one by one, and I could just turn my face away. I don’t want to stare at her.

“Mina, hang my shirt over there,” I asked Mina to take it, and she just grabbed it without looking at my direction, my body exactly.

Mina came back standing next to me, but not looking at my body. Then the doctor said, “Can you help your sister to lay down, Mina? I will take my tools first.”

I widened my eyes again hearing the doctor’s direction. Is it always like this when eonnie come with Jeongyeon or Jihyo eonnie? I hesitantly helping Nayeonnie to lay down, but I could not control my eyes. I tried to look at other objects other than her.

I grabbed Mina’s hand, “Mina,,,Mina,,, look at me, please,” I pleaded then chuckled, “Am I that ugly so that you don’t want to see me?”

“Ani..Aniyo, eonnie…” she slowly turned her head and saw my eyes.

“You will be there for me, right?” I asked her again and she nodded, “Then you have to know my condition.. I am used to this.. and I want you to know, too.” I assured her.

 

I looked at her eyes and down to her chest. Milky skin, her mounds covered by white lacy bra. My heart beats so fast, trying to concentrate on her condition. Then I saw some scars under them, from the surgeries I guessed. It was around 10 cm on the right side and 8 cm on the left side. I widened my eyes and covered my mouth.

“Eonnie,,,,” she whispered, not believing what she saw.

“Hmm… I guess this is your first time seeing the scars, Mina?” the doctor broke the intense situation and she just nodded.

“Your eonnie here got this major surgeries about a year ago, but she still needs to regularly check them up, cause some of her ribs were broken and she is in the treatment process,” Doctor Hirai told the story while checking on my scars.

She pressed on my ribs to check whether they are healed completely or not, “Is it hurt, Nayeon-ssi?”

“A little bit, doctor,” I replied.

“Mina, can you help to move her hand on top of her head?” doctor asked and Mina did it. She slowly moved my hand on top of my head.

“Aaarrghh,,,” I hissed in pain.

“Okay, enough, Mina, you can put it back,” doctor said.

“Hmm…Nayeon-ssi, you never practice, huh?” doctor reprimanded.

I nodded shyly, “I don’t have time, doctor.”

“Yaaa…how can you get better if you never practice…” doctor continued.

“What kind of practice do you mean, doctor?” Mina asked. “Maybe I can help to remind eonnie to do that.”

“Hmmm…that is a good idea, Mina. Your eonnie at least need to jog 2 times a week and practice to mover her hands up and down… and you have to always remind her to take her medicine and apply this oil on her scars,” the doctor explained and Mina took notes on it.

“Haiya, I will be a burden for you, Minayaah..” I grumbled.

“Anything for you, eonnie,” Mina replied and I felt the warmth in her voice.

“Alright, I guess that is all for the check up today,,, Mina you can help her dress up again.” The doctor went back to her chair.

I took Eonnie’s shirt and help her to put it on and button it up. My heart races when it comes to her s part. Hope that she don’t listen to my heart drums crazily. Then I helped eonnie got down from the bed.

“So, here are the prescriptions for you, Nayeon-ssi, you can get it at the medicine area. Get well soon okay, and don’t forget to have the check up next month. I want to see some progress, okay..” she winked.

“Thank you, doctor,” I said and we went out from the room.

We waited for a while for the medicine and no body talked. I thought there was too much for Mina to handle. She didn’t get the full story yet. Hmm.. I didn’t know when I could tell her about this.

What an experience today! Many things revealed by Doctor Hirai about Nayeonnie’s story and revealed some other parts, too. I slapped my own head for thinking like that. It is about Nayeonnie’s health and I would like to help. I still have to wait for another story revealed by her. The reasons she got those surgeries.

“Ms. Im Nayeon.. your medicine is ready!” the nurse’ call broke Mina’s wondering thought.

She was the one who take the medicine and came back to me, helped me to walk to the car.

On the way back home, I asked Mr. Kim to stop at a fast food store because it was nearly lunch time. But suddenly Mina said, “No, Mr. Kim, just go home directly. I will cook for my baby eonnie,” she laughed and Mr. Kim also laughed.

“Yaaaa…now you too already make a team,,,” I pouted and folded my arms.

“It is for your own good, Ms. Im…. Now you have someone who will take a good care of you,” Mr. Kim teased more.

Mina offered her hand and high five with him. Then I pleaded again, “Only an ice cream, then, MInayaaahh…” I poked her arms, showing my cute eyes and pouting lips.

“Ah..ah..” Mina said no… “Don’t you hear what Doctor Hirai said before? You have to eat healthy food so that you will heal faster… so ice cream will be next time, eonnie,” she said firmly with care, and I like to see her caring side like this.

“Promise?” I gave my pinky to her…

“Promise!” she intertwined our pinkies and attached our thumbs together.

“Yeaaayyy!!!” I sound like a baby again.

 

We arrived at the penthouse. Mina brought me to my bathroom, asked me to wash my hands and feet, then gave clothes to change.

“Help me,” I pouted with my puppy eyes.

“Yaaaa… you can change your clothes by yourself, there was no problem before,” she panicked.

“Yes, that was because I never tell you about the pain right..?” I tried to argue.

Then she thought about it and started to blush again.

I have to do this twice in a day. Is it a trick? Can’t help my butterflies in my stomach who are ready to fly.

“Okay, if you don’t want, I will tell Doctor Hirai later,” I threat her.

“Yaaa… eonnie yaa… okay, okay, I will help,,” She lost the debate.

I started to my shirt. I could sense Mina’s nervousness but I kept on going so I can help her healed too.

Geez… suddenly why this room was so hot. I was sweating, waiting for Eonnie to her shirt. I don’t know where I have to direct my eyes.  Then, she also took off her jeans. This damn hot sister really made me want to have nose bleed. And now she was completely just in her bra and underwear.

“Earth to Mina…Earth to Mina..” I called her cause her mind was in somewhere else.

“Oh, Oh, Yes, Eonnie,,,you are done.. This is your shirt,” she woke up from her train of thoughts.

“Eyes here, Mina,,,” I chuckled when I saw her eyes landed on my s.

Her face was so red, “Yaaaa, eonniee…stop teasing me, I am not staring at your s,” she blurted and covered .

“It is okay, Mina… Jeongyeon also did the same like that, I get used to by it,” I said.

“Jinjjjaaaa?” she angrily shouted and I was jolted a bit.

“Jealous??” I again.

“Yaaaa, eonniieee,,, I am not jealous,,, I was just startled,” she tried to hide her jealousy.

“Hahaha,,, Mina… you are so cuteee…” I laughed out loud “But don’t worry Minayaaah.. now you will be the only one who will see me like this.. No more Jeongyeon or Jihyo,” she  blushed ever more.

“Yupppp…. I will take care of you… come on I will help you,” she suddenly becomes cheerful again.

I was done changing my clothes and I sat down on my bed. It was still one more hour before lunch time.

“Just sleep, eonnie, I will prepare the food for you, okay,” she asked me to lay down and cover me with the blanket.

I just nodded and slept for a while. Outside, Mina and my maid were cooking Samgyetang, some side dishes and also rice. Then after the food is ready, Mina came into my room.

She tapped me slightly, “Eonnie… wake up.. the food is ready.”

I slowly opened my eyes and sat down, “Thank you, Minayaaah,, you must be really tired, right..”

“No worries, eonnie, working at the orphanage was much more than this,, let’s go eat now when the soup is still hot,” she said.

We sat the dining table, and I was surprised seeing what Mina cooked. “You cooked all of this? Wooaahh, Minaaa…. You are such a really good cook,” I clapped my hands.

“Yes, eonnie, I learned how to cook at the orphanage, hope you like it, eonnie,” she said.

I sat down and slurped my soup slowly, “Aaaahhhh…. Hmmmm…. It is so good Minaaa… I never like healthy soup that Mom made,,, but this one is different, I like it, Mina…”

“Then, eat some more, eonnie, it is very good to help you heal faster… I will cook for you every weekend then,” she said happily.

After eating, I asked Mina to watch one episode of Alice in Borderland. Then, we settled at the long sofa bed. Even though it was already our second time doing this position, Mina still a bit hesitant and need more time to adjust.

She looked at me and asked, “Eonnie, is it okay if I lean on you like this? I mean your surgeries..”

“We did this before, Mina?” I said.

“Yes, but last week I did not know about your condition. I just don’t want you to bear the pain,” she looks sad.

“It is painful, Mina, a little bit, I have to get used to it, right,,, aanndd you are tired after cooking, so let me cuddle you,” I assured her.

“Okay, but tell me when it is too painful, okay,” she said again and I nodded.

She slowly leaned on me, made sure that I was not in pain. I put my hands under her neck and we began to watch the series. In the middle of the show, Mina hold my right arm and hugged it with both of her hands. I could feel her s and I did not know why there were some butterflies awoken in my tummy. I haven’t felt like this again since Sana. Maybe I just missed her and Mina was just happen to be with me today. I brushed away my thought and hugged Mina even more.

After watching the series, we were asleep at the sofa. I was still hugging Mina and I did not have bad dream that afternoon.

That was we spent our second Saturday. She knew about my scars and pain, and we could get to know each other better.