Chapter 4 - Meet the Parents

In Your Arms

Mina got up early in the morning to prepare for the lunch boxes again. She determined to do that every day to make sure that I had enough and healthy food. We got in the car and my phone rang.

“Good morning, Mom, how are you? Are you still in Korea?” I greeted her.

“Morning, princess… Yes, I will still be in Korea until this weekend. Your Dad and I want to meet with our new daughter before we fly back to Japan,,, is it possible that you arrange it on this Saturday?” she said.

“That will be great, Mom… Mina will love it too..” I replied and Mina looked at my direction because I mentioned her name. “I will tell you the place and time, okay, Mom.. Have a nice day… Saranghae..” I finished the conversation.

“What happen, eonnie?” Mina asked.

“Oh, nothing Mina… our Mom want to meet you before they fly back to Japan this weekend. So, I have to arrange the meeting place. Is it okay with you?” I explained.

“Is it true, eonnie? I think I will never have the chance to meet our Mom and say thank you to her. This weekend seems lovely… But what should I wear?” suddenly she got panicked.

“Relax dear, you can just wear my dress.. it is not that formal.. it is a family dinner.. So, don’t think about it too much, okay… Mom and Dad will like you surely,” I rubbed her hand gently.

“Okay, eonnie, hopefully everything runs smoothly later,” she calmed herself.

 

Fast forward to Saturday

Since it is weekend already, we had time to eat breakfast together at the penthouse. When I woke up, Mina was already in her apron, making some pancakes. I approached her like usual and just watched her cooked the delicious meal.

I smiled at her, “Waee, eonnie?”

“There is flour at your face, here let me clean it,” I took one piece of tissue and wipe her face. “Thank you for always cooking for me, Minayaah,” she blushed because of my action.

“No worries, eonnie,” she smiled shyly.

Then we ate breakfast together and continued with enjoying our time at the living room. I watched an action-comedy series while Mina played game on her phone. It was funny to see her pout when she lost or see her laugh happily when she won the game. I silently paid attention to her reaction to understand her better. Maybe it will be nice if I bought a console so she can play on the big screen and we can play together. She could teach me how to play and we can get closer to each other.

It was lunch time already and I just ordered pizza.

“You are a fan of tomato, I guess,” I said looking at how much Mina poured out tomato sauce.

“Yes, eonnie, I love ketchup so much,” her gummy smiled showed.

“Hahaha…you are so funny, Minayaah,” I laughed.

Then she suddenly asked, “How about the dinner later, eonnie? Have you picked the place?”

“Yaaa… I forgot… Thank you for reminding me, Mina,, I will book the place right now,” I said and called the restaurant.

What a clumsy sister I have. Sometimes, she just acts so funny though she is older and she is the President of the Student Council. I wonder what will happen at dinner later. I am so nervous but trying to calm down. I don’t want to make Eonnie worry about me. I am excited to meet my step parents.

“Done!” I said. “I will text Mom the place and time,,”

“Eonnie, how about the dress you told me? We haven’t chosen it.” she asked.

“Oh, yaaa.. after we finish eating, we will pick the dress together, okay,” I answered.

 

After eating, we went into my room. It was Mina’s first time to enter my room, actually. She looked around my room and I asked her to sit down at my bed while I took some dresses that suit her.

“Wait here, okay, I will take some dresses,” I said and she just nodded.

Her room is cute with pastel colour theme. I walked around the room and saw some old pictures of eonnie. She was cute and I saw my parents’ face too. They seem nice and love eonnie so much. Then, I saw some pictures of Jeongyeon and Jihyo eonnie as well. But one picture made me wonder, there is Nayeonnie with a girl I never see before. Nayeonnie was hugging the girl and she looked so happy. Maybe I can ask her later or just wait until eonnie tells the story.

“Here, some dresses that I think suit for you, Minayaaah…” I put them on my bed, so Mina can choose. “Hmm..this simple white dress looks good on you..try it now,” I gave the dress to Mina and sat on my bed, waiting for Mina to change her clothes.

“You mean, I change here?” she asked blushing so hard.

Plainly I answered her, “Yes, of course, so I can see how you look and help you to zip the dress.”

What is this? I need to change my clothes in front of her. I know that we both girls, but still, I am not use to this kind of thing. So, I just froze for a moment.

“Mina, what happen? You look so red,” I asked.

“Aaa eonnie yaa… can you tur – turn around?” she pleaded.

“Yaaa…we’re both girls and now we are sisters, no need to feel shy,” I said and chuckled seeing how nervous Mina was.

“Eonniieee…it is not the time to tease me,,, turn around now, or I don’t want to wear your dress,” she cutely pouted.

I raised both my hand in the air, I surrender, “Okay, okay, I am just teasing you, I will turn around. But I will not guarantee if I peep,” I laughed so hard.

Mina threw a pillow on me, “ert….”

I am so shy and just throw a pillow at Eonnie. She really loves to tease me. I take the dress and change it quickly before she peeps on me. Omo, it is a nice dress, but it has some kind like a V-neck mode. I am not confident in this dress, but after I am done, I ask her opinion.

“I am done, eonnie, you can see it now,” she told me while covering her chest part with her hands.

I looked at her from head to toe, she is so pretty in that dress. I froze for a while enjoying her beauty, but then I heard her again.

“Eonniiieee… so how do I look?” she was still shy and covering her top part.

“Oh, you look pretty, Minayah.. but can you please move aside your hands? So I can see clearly,” I asked her.

“But I am shy, eonnie,,,it is a little bit y,” she said and I laughed.

“Minaaa…how come you act so cute like that… let your Eonnie see, okay.. you have a nice body and you have to feel proud of it… because you are the first person who needs to respect and love your body,,, understand?” I gave her assurance that she is not ugly and lowered her hands down.

“There you go, you are so pretty, perfect, Mina,” I told her while turning her body left and right to see it from the other angle. “Hmm… I guess you need to wear an accessory to highlight your neck,,, sit here, Mina,” I pointed to the chair at my make up corner.

Nayeonnie said that I am pretty and have a nice body. She truly made me blushed and speechless. She has some points though that I have to start respecting my own body and be more confident.

I checked on my accessories box to find a necklace for Mina and found the perfect one, “Here, you will be prettier when you wear this, let me help you,” I put on the simple necklace with a ballerina pendant.

“Wow, it is so pretty, eonnie… I like the ballerina pendant,” she said touching the pendant.

“You can have it then,” I smiled at her.

“Really, eonnie?” she seems so happy about it.

“Yes, my sister,” I hold her shoulders and we both looked at the mirror. “You are pretty, Mina, don’t forget that, okay,”

“Yes, eonnie, thank you…” she said shyly.

The dress has been chosen and Mina has changed her clothes again. We still had around 4 hours before the dinner time. I felt a little bit sleepy since it was Saturday, and I usually woke up late.

I yawned, “Hoaamm, I feel sleepy, how if we take a nap first, Mina?”

“Oh, okay, eonnie, I will let you sleep, I will watch TV outside,” she said.

I pouted, “I mean we both sleep, Mina, we have just ended our first week at school, right?”

“Alright, I will go to my room and have a rest, then,” she replied.

“Mina….”

“Yes…” she waited for me to say something.

“Can you stay in my room? I don’t want to be alone,” I asked her, but she looked frozen. “If only you want it,” I sounded defeated.

Stay in her room? What does she mean? Sleep at the same bed?

She nodded and sat on the chair at the corner of the room.

“Minaaaa…come here…sleep next to me… not sitting at that boring chair,” I chuckled.

“Sle-sleep nex-next to you?” damn..she stuttered so bad.

“Yes, Mina… we just sleep like in sleeping.. I will not do anything to you…” I explained and gave space for Mina. She slowly walked toward me and laid her body.

Dang it! My heart beats so fast, it is like a drum in a festival.

“Relax, Mina, I promise that we will just sleep, okay,” I giggled and she just nodded with a very stiff position.

In 5 minutes, I already drifted away in my sleep.

She sleeps already. This eonnie really likes to give me a heart attack. I observe her face. She is so pretty and right now I am laying down beside her. Nerve-wrecking but exciting at the same time. I can be this close with her. After observing for a quite moment, I also drifted away in my sleep.

After sleeping for around 2 hours, I feel something on my chest. I slowly open my eyes and rub them. Shockingly I see Nayeonnie’s right hand on my chest, she is hugging me in her sleep. I turn my head to the right and see her face is so close to me, I can feel her breath. I don’t want to wake her up so I stay there watching her hand in the middle of my chest, between my s. I can’t believe this. I know that my face is so red right now. I can also feel her s pressing on side profile. It feels weird, but the butterflies in my tummy fly around. It is supposed to be normal if I see her purely as my sister. But this heart crushes on her, that is why I am feeling this weird sensation. Then suddenly eonnie mumbles something.

“I am sorry,, I am sorry,, please don’t leave me,, I need you,” I mumbled in my dream and hold on to Mina’s shirt.

“Eonnie..Eonnie..wake up! It is just a dream!” she sat down and tried to wake me up.

I eruptly woke up and straightened my position. I tried to catch up my breath, then suddenly I sobbed. I hugged my knees and cried. I made Mina worried and panic.

“Eonnie,, What happen? What can I help? Please tell me something. I am worried about you,” she said rambling.

“Sorry, Mina.. I did not mean to make you worry. I think you have seen my break down condition. So sorry about it. I supposed to be a cheerful eonnie for you. Sorry, Minayaa..” I stopped crying and looked at her sincerely.

“No, eonnie, it is okay to cry sometimes, we are human right. It is okay to feel sad. Can I help you? You can share the story with me if you want,” she tried to comfort me.

“I will tell you the story some day, Mina, when I am ready, okay… Now, can you hug me so that I will feel better?” I asked her.

Omo, eonnie… I mean I want to hear your story, not hearing you asking me to hug you. It is too sudden for me.

Hesitantly, she moved closer to me and opened her arms to hug me. I laid my head on her broad shoulders. Though she is still stiff, but I really appreciated her effort.

“Thank you, Minayaa.. sorry once again if I made you worried.. by the way, did I do something weird when I slept?” I asked her again.

“Oh, no, eonnie, you slept normally,” she said.

Normally as you hugged me in your sleep, eonnie.

 

It is 5 o’clock in the afternoon, so we decided to take a bath and be ready for the dinner. Mr. Kim will drive us to the restaurant at 6 sharp. Both of us are ready and we got out from our room.

“Waa, eonnie, you are so pretty,” she complimented me, checking me out.

I chuckled, “Thank you, Minaa.. you are pretty, too.. we are pretty sisters, right..”

“Ready?” I offered my left hand to her.

She looked surprised but hold my hand anyway, “Yes, eonnie.”

I am holding her hand. We walk hand in hand…Aaaaaa… Her hand is so soft yet it fits perfectly with my hand. I feel safe and secure in her hands.

 

In the car

“Wow, look at you two, real princesses,” Mr. Kim said.

“Thank you, Mr. Kim, I am so happy that today we are going to meet Mom and Dad. It has been a while, right. Plus we have Mina right now.” I replied.

“Yes, my lady, I am so happy for you.. and you, too, young Ms. Im..” he said.

“Thank you, Mr. Kim, you are so kind,” Mina replied.

“Mina, don’t be nervous okay, Mom and Dad will be happy to see you, and don’t forget I am with you there, so don’t worry,” I assured her before we got into the restaurant.

The restaurant was actually inside a hotel. On of the best in Korea and I chose the restaurant with the view of the city and had the rooftop area.

I hold Mina’s hand and pressed the elevator button to the 30th floor. We entered the restaurant and the Manager escorted us into one of the private rooms, since my Dad wanted a nice family time together without people disturbing. We entered the private dining room number 224. Mom and Dad were there already.

“Hi, Mom, Hi, Dad, I miss you so much,” I walked toward them and we hugged each other.

“Oh, Mom and Dad, this is Mina,” I introduced Mina to them.

Mom hugged Mina right away and Dad too. They welcomed Mina warmly.

“Welcome to the family, Mina, you are just like a real daughter for me,” Mom said.

Mina with her almost teary eyes said, “Thank you, Mrs. Im.”

“Mrs. Im? You can call me Mom as well, Mina,” Mom said, brushing Mina’s hair.

“Thank you, Mom…” she replied.

“And you can call me Dad, Mina,” Mina looked at Dad and he hugged her too.

My eyes got teary seeing Mom and Dad accepted Mina as a family. I am so happy that day, but also hurts at the same time, a flash of Sana’s memory interrupted me for a second.

“Let’s sit down,” Dad said.

“Eonnie, are you okay?” Mina whispered. “You seems happy but also sad.”

I wiped my tears and smiled, “Yeah, I am fine, Mina,, I was just too happy seeing you guys welcomed each other.”

We ate dinner happily and Mom shared many embarrassing stories to Mina. We laughed together and enjoyed the moment. After dinner time, Mom borrowed Mina for a while and brought her to the balcony area. Then, I talked with Dad, asking about business development and so on, because later after I graduate from university, Dad will hand in the company for me to run. So, I need to know a little bit about our family business.

 

At the balcony

Mina’s POV

Mom took me to the balcony area where we can see the streetlights from the top, how busy Seoul is. I wonder what Mom are going to say to me, without eonnie here.

“Mina..” Mom started.

“Yes, Mom,” I said.

She hold both of my hands and said, “Thank you for agreeing Nayeon’s decision to make you stay with her,” Mom said and she suddenly got teary eyes.

“Mom, what happen? I don’t understand,” I said.

“I believe Nayeon has not told you her past yet,” she said.

“Not yet, Mom, we have just been together for a week,” I said. “Anything that I can help, Mom?

“I cannot tell you the story. It will be Nayeon’s decision to tell you the story later when she is ready.” Mom explained.

“Yes, this afternoon she mentioned something like that too. When she is ready, she is going to tell me,” I answered.

“Okay, my point is, Nayeon experienced something that made her so broken last year. And half of the reason was because me and Dad did not agree with her decision. Nayeon cried everyday because of that and I could not bear the pain. She decided to move out from our house and wanted to clear her mind. That is why Dad bought her a penthouse that you live in right now. But since she met you at the coffee shop, I could see that there is this spark in her eyes and it is a hopeful one.” Mom shared the story.

“Alright, Mom, thank you for sharing me the story. So, what can I do?” I asked her again.

“I just want you to accompany her, since she is alone at that big penthouse. I don’t know whether she is still having this dream or not and ends up with her crying. Poor Nayeonnie, what really happened with her? I am really curious. She is such a nice daughter, she used to be so cheerful and alive. So, I hope that you can just be her new happiness,” Mom said still holding my hands.

“Okay, Mom, don’t worry about it. I will take care of Nayeonnie as much as I can,” I said.

“So sorry to ask you like this. I know that you are younger than her, and you also have your own past,” she said.

“It is totally fine, Mom… You accepted me as a family, it is more than enough. I will be glad if I can help Nayeon eonnie, too,” I replied.

“Thank you, Mina. Don’t hesitate to ask my help if you need anything, okay,” she said.

“Yes, Mom, thank you for everything,” I said.

Then we went back inside and gathered with eonnie and Dad.

 

 

Back to Nayeon’s POV.

“Hey, you come back already. What were you talking about?” I asked.

“It is a mother-daughter business, Nay,” Mom answered.

I pouted, “So, I am not your daughter, now? Why I don’t have this mother-daughter time like Mina?”

Everybody laughed seeing my babyish action. We stayed there a little bit, sharing more stories about Dad’s business in Japan and Korea. Then, we went home at around 9 p.m.

 

At the penthouse

I plopped myself down to the sofa, “Hmmmm… it was nice, right Mina… Mom and Dad are nice to you, right?”

She smiled, “Yes, eonnie, they are nice and I am so happy too.” She joined me sitting.

“Hey, what about an episode of Alice in Borderland?” I said.

“Are you sure you won’t freak out and hide your face?” she teased me.

“I will of course, but I have you, right…” I smirked and she just laughed.

“Okay, I will change my clothes and wash my face first, okay..” she replied.

“Me, too…” I cheerfully skipped to my room.

 

After I was done, I got out and made two glasses of warm milk for me and Mina. Then, I sat down at the long sofa waiting for Mina, ready with the Netflix series and my warm blanky. Finally Mina came out from the room with her cute pyjamas that we bought last time. She sat down at the fluffy sofa, next to the long sofa.

“Mina…don’t sit there… sit with me,” I said.

“Where? That sofa is only fit for one person, eonnie,” she replied.

Then I spread my leg a little bit and tapped the space in the middle of it, “Here.”

What? Sit in the middle of her legs? She will back hugging me then. It is crazy. My blood pumps fast to my face and my face is just like a cooked crab. So red. But suddenly Mom’s words flashed through my mind and I promised her to make Nayeon happy and accompanied. Rather than seeing her cries, it is better like this. I like her anyway. So it is just like a test for my heart.

She hesitantly sat in the middle of it with a stiff gesture. I chuckled at her and hold her shoulders.

“Relax, Mina, breathe in and breathe out,” I asked her to do so.

Then after her shoulders were relaxed, I pulled her slowly closer to me. I technically back hugged her and settled with a comfy position. I took the blanket and covered our half body.

I am at cloud nine. Nayeonnie is back hugging me. I can feel her s pressed on my back. This electrical feeling again. I am trying so hard to clear my mind and thinking that it is a normal thing that sisters do. I see other people doing things like this and it is normal. Then Nayeoonie hands are settled under my neck. It is so warm and safe.

It is a progress that Mina made. I know that she is not used to this kind of skin ship thing. I made her to feel safe first in my arms. Nothing ert comes into my mind. I truly wanted to make her happy, make her accepted and loved. Things that she did not experience before.

“There you go, I got your back,” I said and pressed the play button.

“Aaaaa,” I screamed while watching and just hid my face behind Mina.

She chuckled and tapped my hands that I put under her neck, “It is okay, eonnie..”

We watched one episode only since it is already late at night. One thing that I notice was that Mina felt comfortable while we were watching. I was glad to see her happy, and she was the one who helped me to ease the pain in my heart, too.

Then, we turned off the TV and went back to our room. Before I entered my room, suddenly Mina back hugged me, “I will always stay with you, eonnie,”

I don’t know where that energy comes from. I just feel I want to hug eonnie. She is the one who always comforts me. I also want to do the same thing to her. I want her to depend on me, to share her burden with me.

I melted in her arms and without looking at her face, I just said, “Thank you, Minayaaah,”

“Have a good sleep, eonnie,,, if you need something, just come to my room, okay,” she continued.

I broke the hug and turned my body facing her, holding her shoulders, “Okay, Minayaah, thank you for worrying about me, but don’t worry, I will be okay,, I am your eonnie, right.. Go, sleep now, have a nice dream.” I smiled at her.

“Okay, eonnie, good night,” she waved at me.

“Nite, Minayaaah,,, see you tomorrow,” I waved back.