Chapter 1 - The Encounter

In Your Arms

5 years ago - Nayeon's POV

It was the first day of new academic year at Tdoong High School. I, Im Nayeon, as the President of the Student Council was excited to welcome all new 1st year student. Me and the other student council members were ready at school and we were preparing for the welcoming event.

All students gathered at the main hall and Mr. Park, the principal was giving a speech. Everyone clapped their hands when he finished delivering the speech. Then followed by the speech by me, the famous Im Nayeon. I was giving a full spirited speech and bringing nice atmosphere for all students, including for Myoui Mina, a shy girl who sat at the very back of the hall. She silently admired the joy that radiates around the President of the Student Council.

The opening event was done, and all students were escorted to their classes by the student council members. Jeongyeon and Jihyo, the vice presidents accompanied the 2nd and 3rd years students as they were already familiar with the school building. I accompanied the 1st year students as I also introduced myself to all of them and welcomed them if they wanted to talk about things related to students’ matters. I gave the school tour and showed all the rooms, and Mina was so delighted listening to all of my explanation as well as my appearance.

“Is there any question?” I asked.

Mina shyly asked, “What are the extra school activities that this school have?”

I was looking for where did that angelic voice come from and found that it was from a shy girl at the back rows of the group. I paid attention to the new girl’s face and found that she had a pretty face, but just so shy.

“Hi, there! Can you come closer so that I can tell you clearly?” Nayeon said.

Mina timidly moved forward and stood at the front row now.

“What is your name, dear?” Mina was a little bit surprised and answered her, “My name is Mina, Myoui Mina.”

“Hmm.. I think that is a Japanese name. You must be one of the transferred student. Welcome to Tdoong High School, Mina, and we have lots of extra school activities. Sports of course and other Arts department such as painting club, drama, dancing, and ballet. You can start joining some of them starting from next week. Just visit my office, okay.” I explained and Mina just nodded shyly.

“Okay then, you may go to your respected classroom and meet your teacher there. Don’t forget to ask me or other student council members if you have any question.” I left the spot and continued with my job at school.

 

At the Student Council Office

“Woooohhh….yeaayy…the first day is done!!” Jeongyeon slumped her body at the student council office.

“It was so nice, right, Jeong…and we are at our last year here!” Jihyo added.

Those 2 girls just had a relax time after the school tour. They bought some tea drink and enjoyed it. Then Nayeon came to the office and joined her best friends.

“So…..any good caught, Nabong?” Jeong teased.

“Hey! It is just the first day. I haven’t thought about it, Jeong. I want to be free for a while.” I replied.

“Yes, it is true, Nay… you should enjoy your singleness after your sad love story with Sana…” Jihyo tapped my shoulder.

“Hmm.. yaaaa… don’t mention her name again..! But I saw a shy girl before and she was the transfer student from Japan, too… Why is it always to be a Japanese like her..” Nayeon remembered her story with Sana. “She was so shy but her face is so pretty and calm.. wish that she will feel happy to study at Tdoong.”

“Wow,,,,my best friend is thinking about someone else’s happiness,” Jeong elbowed me.

“Yaa… I am not that low to directly like a fresh year student, Jeong”

“Yeah, I know, I know, it is just funny to tease you,” Jeong said and Jihyo just laughed at our banter.

Then the three of them continued their work that day until it is lunch time and I wanted to check the cafeteria area, while Jeong and Jihyo checked the field and classroom areas.

 

At the cafeteria

I walked through the hall and the students just bowed and greeted me warmly. I also gave them my bunny smile and greeted them back. I arrived at the cafeteria and observed all the food stalls and how the student enjoyed their mealtimes.

I stopped at one table of 5 new students and asked about their opinions. They were pretty happy and enjoyed the school ambience. They also said that the food was tasty too. I was glad listening to their answers and let them eat peacefully.

Then, my attention moved to one of vending machines at the end of the cafeteria hall. There was a group of boys, naughty boys there and I quickly ran there to see if there is any problem. Cause this brat boys were sometimes like to play and joke around new students. And it was true. I saw a little figure squatted down, covering her face and pleading.

“Please, leave me alone. I don’t know you guys!” the girl shaking while speaking.

“Yaaa! What are you doing here? Making trouble at the first day of school. Show your manner! Meet me at the office after school!” I said with my eyes glared at them.

“The president is here. Let’s run!” one of the boys screamed. They burst out running and I remember all of their faces.

“Those boys really give me headaches…. Hey… are you okay?” I approached the girl and tapped her shoulder lightly.

She jolted a little bit because of my touch.

The Im Nayeon saved me from those boys. What a lucky day I have.

“I am sorry to make you surprised and I am sorry about those boys before,” I tried to calm the girl.

“Are you okay?” I asked once again. She just nodded her head and after like 2 minutes, she finally looked up and I was surprised that she was the shy girl from the morning school tour.

“Mina?” I tried to remember her name and calm her more. She just nodded.

“Can I touch you now?” I asked politely not wanting to shock her anymore.

She remembered my name and asked my permission to touch me.

“Yes, thank you, Eonnie,,,, eh, sorry, Nayeon-ssi,” she said.

“It-it is okay if you want to call me Eonnie,, let’s sit there, okay..” I held her arms gently and helped her stand. Then we sat together at the corner of the cafeteria.

“So…what happened before? What did those boys do to you? So I can punish them later…” I asked her.

Should I tell her my past? Maybe not today. She will be terrified.

“Hmm... actually they just asked about my name.. but they were just too close and one of them touched my shoulder… that was why I dropped down.. and then you came..” she told the story.

“Okay, thank you, Mina, for telling the story… I would like to say sorry on behalf of them,, since this is your 1st day of school and you experienced this kind of thing..” I tapped her arms lightly and she seemed a little bit shocked but accepted it anyway.

“By the way, may I know what is your problem? Why do you look surprised when people touch you?” I carefully asked her. “Maybe I can help with that, if only you want to share.”

“Oh, Eonnie, it is okay..you don’t have to worry.. I was not used to a new place, that’s it..” Mina said but she did not tell the whole truth.

“Okay, since it is still lunch time, may I buy you a lunch? I haven’t seen your food,” I offered.

“No, no, eonnie, I am fine… this juice is enough for me,” she answered.

“What? Only juice? No, no, let’s go with me and I will buy a lunch. You need energy, Mina,” I insisted.

Then she followed me from behind and we stopped at the sushi stall since she is a Japanese.

“You like salmon, right?” I asked her and she nodded.

“One salmon sushi, please, Ahjuma, and one glass of cold ocha” I said to the owner politely.

She treated me lunch at my first day of school. I was so flattered but I also cannot hide my shyness.

Then, we sat again and I accompanied her eating. She ate silently and most of the time she bowed down cause she was shy.

“Do-do you want some, eonnie?” she offered me the sushi.

“Oh, thank you, Mina… just for you, dear.. I will eat my lunch at my office later.” I answered and she was a little bit red when I mentioned the word ‘dear’.

Why did she have to call me with dear? I feel so warm around her. The feeling I have never felt for a long time.

She finished her lunch and I escorted her back to her class.

“See you, Mina, take care, okay… find me if you need anything,” I said goodbye to her.

“Thank you, Nayeon eonnie for everything,” she bowed a little and got in to her class.

“Anytime, Mina,” I waved her goodbye and showed my bunny smile.

Oh, my, that cute smile of her.

 

After school time

The school ended at 2 p.m. All students went home directly while Me, Jihyo and Jeongyeon needed to stay behind and finished our job as the student council.

I told my best friend about what happened during lunch time. How Mina was disturbed by the naughty boys.

“Wow, you are such a hero, Nabong!” Jeong teased me again.

“A good start, Nay,” Jihyo added.

“Hey, I purely wanted to help her, not planning anything improper like you think,” I slapped Jeong and Ji arms.

“Whatever, Nabong, I am sure you will fall for her sooner or later,” Jeong said.

“Agree!” Ji high five Jeong and both of them giggling together.

“I am still wondering why I can have two best friends like you guys!” I ruffled my hair.

While on the other place, Mina started her part time job at a nearby coffee shop before she went back to her place. Her schedule was from 3 p.m. until 8 p.m. She needed to work to support her daily needs as she was actually an orphan.

 

Around 8 p.m. that day

The coffee shop door was opened, and Mina politely said, “Sorry, Sir, but we are already closed. You can come back tomorrow.”

But the man said, “Oh, I don’t want to buy a coffee, I want to ask for the payment that you Dad left with you, Ms. Myoui.”

She was trembling, “I-I haven’t got the money, Sir.. I am starting this job today, so can you come back at the end of the month?”

“What? You asked me to wait?? At least pay me some!” the man insisted and it made Mina got out through the back door, trying to run away. But the man got out faster and stopped her at the dark alley.

“Ple..please, Sir…I am so sorry.. I need more time to collect the money.. I promise to pay everything, but please be patient..” she cried and begged to the man.

The man approached her more and made Mina hit the wall behind her. It made her nervous and scared as she was alone at that dark alley.

What should I do? What should I say? Please someone help me!!

The man grabbed Mina’s collar and threatened her, “You have one week to pay all your father’s debt. I am running out of my patience!”

“Ok-okay, Sir,,, please don’t do anything to me,” Mina sobbed louder.

While at the same time, I was just around the corner after buying some snacks from the convenient store, heard someone sobbed. I got curious and looked for the source of the voice. I walked past an alley and saw a shadow of a man and approached a little bit. Then, I could see clearer and I saw a familiar figure and voice. MINA!

With a brave heart, I looked for something like a stick in case I have to hit the man and moved forward, “Hey, let go of that girl!” I shouted.

Finally, there is someone here. Please help me. But I think I know that voice, too.

“Who do you think you are, young lady?” the man smirked at me.

He was a tall man and actually I felt scared.

“I am her friend,,, let her go,, or I will call the police!” I shouted back.

“Hahaha…what a lucky night for me, I got two pretty ladies here in the dark alley!”

Help us, God. I don’t want anything happen to Nayeon eonnie.

“Shut your mouth! Don’t you dare speak to me like that! If you know my father, you will feel terrified!” I threat him back.

The man released Mina’s collar and walked toward me. I pointed out my stick to keep the distance away.

“Who is your father, little kitten? I believe he is no other than her father who left lots of debt for his daughter!” the man said.

“Right, my father is the owner of Im’s Incorporate! Ring a bell?” I smirked back.

“Im’s Incorporate?” the man was shocked and chicken out himself. “Okay, okay, I will stay out of you, but make sure this friend of yours will pay her debt the latest next week! Or I will make her as my slave!”

“Don’t worry about it! I will take care of it! Now, get your off here!” I ensured him and he left the place.

What did she say? Is is true that she is the daughter of Mr. Im? And she said she will pay everything? This is so embarrassing! I always bring trouble for her.

“Mina,,,Mina,,, are you okay?” I worriedly checked on Mina’s face and body and hugged her.

She hugged me. Im Nayeon hugged me. I was surprised but I also love her warmth, so I reciprocated her embrace.

“Yes, eonnie.. thank you for saving me again!” she said. “But, eonnie, you are too close right now.”

I just realized it how she told me before that she was not comfortable with people’s touch. “Oh, I am so sorry, Mina.. I forgot that you are not comfortable with people. I just want to make sure you are okay.” I stepped back from her.

I missed her warmth already, but it is true though. I am still not used to people’s closeness since that accident.

Awkwardly, I asked her, “Who is that man, Mina? Is that true that you have to pay for your father’s debt?”

She just nodded and said, “Yes, my father died a month ago and he left a huge amount of debt,” she some kind like angry to her father.

“Okay, we are going to talk about it later.. Now, can you take your stuff and I will accompany you going home,,, it is late already,” I told her.

“Hmm…eonnie, I can go home by myself, I don’t want to bother you any further,” Mina said.

But I insist, “You are under my supervisor, Mina.. I am your eonnie, right? So don’t worry, I am happy to help you.”

Mina packed her things up and closed the coffee shop. We walked together side by side as Mina said that her house is just nearby. We did not talk much as I appreciated Mina’s reference as I think she is a quiet person. I can see Mina’s blushes every time our shoulders brush each other. There is something that make me attracted to her, but I don’t know what.

Nayeon eonnie saved me twice today and now we are walking together side by side. I cannot keep my happiness, I think I blush several time. Hopefully, eonnie did not notice.

Then, we arrived at Mina’s place. It turned out to be a small orphanage. I kept my questions in my mind since it was night already.

“Thank you, eonnie, I could not say thank you enough,” she said.

“My pleasure, Mina,,, have a good rest tonight, okay,, see you tomorrow at school,” I winked at her and she was blushing again.

“Ye-Yes, eonnie,, I will rest well tonight. See ya and good night,” she replied.

“You are cute, Minari… ooopss, sorry, Mina, I meant,” I slipped out cause of her cuteness.

She gave me nick name already… I screaameedd in my heart!!!

“It- it is okay, eonnie.. I like that name, though..” she said.

“Okay, good night, Minari…byee..” I waved her goodbye.

I went back to my penthouse not far from Mina’s orphanage. Though I am the daughter of one of the richest family in Seoul, I don’t like those glamorous stuff. I like to be the ordinary so people will not take advantage of me. But this penthouse that I live in, it is just my father’s gift and I had to accept it.