22. Beginning

Lords of the Underworld
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Beginning

 

“Farewell, Miss Haneul,” Joshua said and hugged Haneul. He held her closely and hesitated to let her go. “We will meet again when the time comes,” he added and caressed the top of her head. 

 

Joshua smelled like cinnamon and strawberries. 

 

Too sweet, but it represented him as just that. 

 

Sweet.

 

Joshua is a sweet and kind soul.

 

Haneul smiled and patted Joshua’s back. He slowly pulled away and let Haneul walk out of his sight.

 

She walked to the front door where Mingyu was ready to take her away.

 

“Treat her well, Mingyu,” Joshua told Mingyu. 

 

Mingyu nodded, “Don’t worry. I won’t let anything happen to our beautiful human.” Haneul snickered and just shook her head at Mingyu’s words. She would have to get used to the way he spoke sooner or later.

 

Haneul stood in front of the door beside Mingyu and looked at the rest of the Immortals one last time before she left. She gave them a genuine smile and bowed.

 

“Thank you for everything you’ve done for me,” Haneul said gratefully. “I will not disappoint you.” Haneul looked up and the Immortals were already in front of her by the door. She flinched a little at their sudden appearance, but giggled as a few of them were fake-crying. 

 

It was mostly just Chan and Hansol.

 

“Be good, boys,” she told the younger Immortals in particular. The two Immortals nodded and ran towards her. Before they could reach for her, Mingyu had stood in between them.

 

“Not on my account,” he said and winked at Haneul. She shook her head and ignored the Immortals bickering.

 

“Hey, Haneul,” a deep voice she had recognized called out to her. She peeked from behind Mingyu’s tall figure and noticed Wonwoo staring at her. “Don’t leave Mingyu’s sight no matter what, okay?” Haneul smiled, thankful that he cared for her.

 

“Oh please, hyung! I will stick to her like a rice cake,” Mingyu teased. Wonwoo rolled his eyes and stepped back, but before he did, he threw a grin at Haneul and winked.

 

Haneul could definitely get used to all of their flirting. It was fun, she had to admit.

 

“Alright, alright!” Jeonghan exclaimed. “It’s time for our gorgeous girl to go!”

 

Yup. 

 

She would definitely get used to their flirting.

 

Mingyu grabbed Haneul’s hand and pulled her beside him. Haneul was shocked at the sudden skinship, but soon relaxed as his hold actually comforted her and lightened her mood a little.

 

“I’m going to miss you guys,” she told the rest of the Immortals.

 

“As will we, Miss Haneul,” Minghao said and waved.

 

“See you again soon!!!” Chan roared. Haneul chuckled and slowly followed Mingyu out of the house. The front door closed on them and the house suddenly became a silent safe haven.

 

“You think Mingyu can take care of her well?” Seungkwan asked.

 

“Of course. If it is any of us, Mingyu would be the best candidate to take care of her, especially since she’s a woman,” Seokmin replied in his best friend’s stead. “Besides, if anything were to happen, you know we will be there,” Seokmin added.

 

“You’re right. Mingyu is just a diversion for someone to physically be there with her,” added Hoshi. Everyone nodded at his words, convinced that he was right. 

 

The Immortals knew their peaceful days would come to an end very soon. Once Haneul leaves their home, the very demons that have taunted them would return. It was only a matter of time and it was something that the Immortals knew could not be easily solved.

 

Slowly, the Immortals went separate ways as if nothing had happened for the past few days. 

 

Outside of the house, Mingyu was struggling to get Haneul to trust him.

 

“No way!” she yelled and stepped back. 

 

Mingyu sighed, “Come on, Haneul! We’ll get there faster this way!” he argued.

 

Hesitating, Haneul slowly approached Mingyu. She positioned herself behind him and slowly raised her hands to wrap them around his long neck.

 

Mingyu smirked.

 

“Hold on tight, beautiful,” he said and before she knew it, Haneul was dashing down the hill that held the Immortals’ hidden safe haven, clinging tightly onto Mingyu’s back like a baby koala. 

 

Mingyu rushed through the forest like he was running a marathon. 

 

No, he was even faster. Even faster than a cheetah.

 

“Oh my goddd!” 

 

Haneul’s screams echoed throughout the forest as Mingyu dashed further away from the Immortals’ safe haven. 

 

“I think I’m going to be sick...”

 

☾★☾★☾★☾★☾★☾★☾★☾★☾★☾★☾★☾★☾★

 

“Turn right, Mingyu,” Haneul directed the Immortal she clung to. It had only been about seven minutes since they'd left the house, but they were already near the city.

 

Mingyu lowered his back so Haneul could hop off of him and slowly looked around. He tried to take in his surroundings and recognized the highway above.

 

“This is near Mapo, Haneul,” Mingyu stated and spun around. 

 

Haneul nodded, “I live in one of those apartment complexes,” she said and pointed straight ahead. A dozen apartment buildings stood tall in the direction they were looking at.

 

Mingyu smirked, “Let’s get you home then,” he said and pulled Haneul back. “We’re gonna take the non-scenic route. Hope you don’t mind, gorgeous,” Mingyu added and before she knew it, Haneul was on Mingyu’s back again, beating the cars from the highway above them.

 

Before they entered the city, Mingyu made sure they didn’t draw any unwanted attention. He let Haneul go and the both of them were walking on foot to Haneul’s apartment.

 

On the way there, Mingyu was being stared at and some people were whispering amongst themselves. He chose to ignore them while Haneul tried to quickly walk ahead to get out of everyone’s sight.

 

After taking a quick right turn, Haneul reached her apartment complex. She turned around and hoped that Mingyu had been following her.

 

“You’re gorgeous yourself.” 

 

That very familiar flirtatious voice was easily recognizable.

 

Haneul knew it was too good to be true because Mingyu was already flirting with a few of her neighbors at the front gate. She rolled her eyes and rushed over to pull him away.

 

Winking, Mingyu made sure to shout loudly to the neighbors, “I’ll be sticking around for a bit so say hi if you see meee!”

 

Haneul was dragging Mingyu away from everyone’s view and towards the front entrance. She inputted the passcode and pulled Mingyu inside along with her. This time she stuck closely beside him in case they ran into any more of her neighbors.

 

Haneul pressed the elevator to go up and waited until it arrived.

 

“Are you jealous, love?” Mingyu's voice echoed as they entered the elevator. Haneul could literally feel his smirk. She just rolled her eyes and edged the Immortal to press the button to the seventh floor.

 

“Apartment 707,” Haneul said as soon as they reached the seventh floor. 

 

Mingyu took a head start and tried to find Haneul’s apartment which was at the end of the hallway. He turned around and gestured that he found her place and moved aside for Haneul to input her passcode into the front door.

 

The moment the door unlocked, Haneul stepped into the darkness of her apartment. It was the apartment she had once shared with Hanbit, but now it was quiet and Hanbit wasn’t there to say “Welcome home twin!”.

 

Haneul put her sad memories in the back of her mind and hoped she didn’t have to reach for them anytime soon. 

 

Haneul flipped on the light switches while Mingyu quietly shut the door behind him. When he turned around, his eyes widened at the enormous apartment.

 

“Holy ,” he mumbled. “I thought you lived in a pig’s den from the way the apartment complexes looked outside.”

 

“Don’t judge a book by it’s cover,” Haneul said, shaking her head. She walked into the kitchen and grabbed the both of them some water before making her way back to sit down on the sofa.

 

She placed M

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter