21. Home

Lords of the Underworld
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Home

 

The world, in one way or another, seemed no different. Humans still roam the busy streets, to get to wherever they need to be. 

 

As gullible as they are, humans never realized that there were other creatures lurking within their world.

 

These creatures are what we call paranormal beings. Most humans like to refer to them as supernatural beings in novels and fairy tales, but the Institute thought otherwise.

 

Paranormal beings. That’s what the Institute likes to call them.

 

The Institute was known to very little people and those who knew of it never spoke much about it or the work that they do.

 

The Institute studies and researches paranormal beings in order to understand their very existence and how they could benefit the world.

 

Angels, demons, fairies, goddesses, gods, vampires, witches, wizards, and wolves.

 

They exist.

 

They exist in the world we live in.

 

Haneul finally realized the importance of this information a little too late. She lost her twin brother in the process and was now in a house with some of these paranormal beings she never believed existed.

 

“Please trust us as you will allow us to trust you.” Joshua’s words echoed in Haneul’s mind once again. She realized it was his message of alliance towards her.

 

Her brother was right. He had always been right.

 

But at what cost?

 

It was at the cost of his own life.

 

Haneul couldn’t understand why he dedicated his entire life to such beings Haneul thought was never real. She would always for his senseless mind. 

 

Unbeknownst to her, all this time it had been the truth. 

 

It was a truth Haneul was too blind to see.

 

It took Hanbit’s death for Haneul to realize that there are other realities humans never realized existed.

 

Otherworldly creatures. Supernatural beings.

 

The paranormal.

 

“Haneul?” a deep voice snapped Haneul out of her thoughts. She stared at Wonwoo who looked a little worried. 

 

Haneul smiled, “I trust you,” she said once more. “I really do...” There was a brief moment of silence when Haneul said again, “I really trust you…but please...just give me some time to take all of this in...”

 

“Haneul’s right. Let’s give her some time to process the information that we’ve just engraved onto her very existence shall we?” a sarcastic tone came from Seongcheol himself. He was the first person to leave Jun’s room, but before he did so he spun around and stared at Haneul.

 

“Would you like something to eat?” he mumbled. 

 

If the Immortals didn’t have very good hearing or Haneul wasn’t really paying attention, Seongcheol’s question might’ve been ignored.

 

Haneul was shocked for a few seconds and then she grinned, “Hell yes.” She followed Seongcheol out of Jun’s room and skipped her way childishly after the Immortal she thought had hated her.

 

Maybe it was just her imagination, but she could see a small smile from Seongcheol when he had turned around to check if anyone else was following him.

 

Well, this was a start for Haneul.

 

A good start into their fantastical and mysterious world.

 

☾★☾★☾★☾★☾★☾★☾★☾★☾★☾★☾★☾★☾★

 

At the dinner table, Haneul was trying not to stuff herself too much.

 

Seongcheol’s soondaeguk was so delicious Haneul couldn’t stop eating even though the soup was burning hot.

 

“Slow down, Miss Haneul,” Joshua chuckled. “You’re going to choke.”

 

“It’sohmergodsogawd,” Haneul tried to say in between spoonfuls. Seongcheol, who sat at the end of the table, crossed his arms and observed Haneul as she ate his soondaeguk like she hadn’t eaten a good meal in weeks. (This was true, by the way. Ever since Hanbit’s death, Haneul barely ate.)

 

“Hyungmorpweasle,” Chan muttered between spoonfuls as well. Seongcheol turned his head and glared at the youngest Immortal. Chan ignored him and continued to gulp down the last bit of Seongcheol’s soondaeguk.

 

“You two are so alike...” thought Hoshi and he giggled at the way Haneul was eating. She definitely looked silly.

 

“Ahhhhhhh~!” cooed Haneul and Chan at the same time. The two turned to find each other and grinned from ear to ear, satisfied with the meal they’ve just had. Then, they turned their heads towards Seongcheol gesturing for a third serving for the night.

 

Seongcheol shook his head and said, “That’s enough, you pigs.” Haneul and Chan scoffed. “You two ate the last of it,” Seongcheol added. Haneul and Chan tried to hide their embarrassment and looked away from Seongcheol who just sort of smiled a little.

 

“Miss Haneul,” Minghao’s soft spoken voice caught the attention of everyone at the dinner table. “May we talk about what you have in mind from here on out?”

 

It was a thought Haneul hadn’t had yet. The Immortals and Haneul exchanged their trust and swore they would go by it, but Haneul hadn’t planned what she was to do next to protect the Immortals. She said it just so that they were assured she was on their side and not the Seekers who were out to hunt them.

 

Now, Haneul sat back in thought and for a brief moment she considered the many options at hand.

 

Finally after a few minutes of outweighing the pros and cons in her tiny head, Haneul spoke.

 

“So here’s the thing,” she began. “The Seekers know who I am and they’re going to make sure they find me and the next time they do, I will be dead.”

 

Haneul had all of the Immortals’ attention as she spoke her mind.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter