10. The Institute

Lords of the Underworld
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The Institute.

 

She ran in the rain, completely oblivious of the demons following her and the demonic aura that she casted. 

 

After she heard the news of her twin brother, Kang Haneul lost her mind. 

 

Haneul ran.

 

She ran towards the Institute.

 

Upon reaching the door, Haneul stopped. She took a deep breath, letting her tears cascade with the rain. She pushed forward and the door to the Institute opened. 

 

Numerous eyes wandered where she stood, a drenched figure. She ignored them and stormed forward. 

 

Mr. Jung stood with his arms crossed, eyeing Haneul. He sighed and walked towards her. 

 

“Haneul,” he called. 

 

Haneul stared at the man and waited for what he had to tell her. 

 

He placed a hand on her shoulder and patted apologetically, “I’m sorry,” he apologized for one reason Haneul already knew. 

 

Haneul shook her head in denial. She was too speechless to even speak. 

 

Mr. Jung stepped away and gestured for her to walk into the secluded room behind him. 

 

It was a room everyone at the Institute feared. 

 

Haneul glanced at the double doors, and slowly, she stepped forward and inched her way into the room.

 

It was a room full of white walls, dim lights, and had a very, very cold breeze. 

 

That very, very cold breeze from the fan above brushed against Haneul’s skin. She shivered and looked around. 

 

There, at the end of the room, laid a still figure. 

 

He was cleaned, dressed in white, but very pale. Haneul choked and almost stumbled backwards. She held her stance and carried her own weight towards the lifeless body on the table. 

 

She stared down at the familiar figure and suddenly lost her will to stand.

 

“Kang Hanbit!” she roared on her knees at her twin brother. She held his head and cried. She cried into his bare chest, her nails clawed into his pale skin. “What happened to you? Why are you laying here?” she asked through her tears. 

 

But her twin never answered her.

 

Before she received the news of her twin’s death, she had heard his voice faintly in the back of her mind. 

 

It was as if he was trying to tell her something. She couldn’t understand a single word he had said, but she felt it.

 

She had felt his presence for a brief moment until it was just cold air. 

 

Haneul felt at that instant a part of her had been taken away and shattered into pieces.

 

“Hanbit...” she muffled between sobs, holding onto her twin’s hand. She closed her eyes and cried even louder. 

 

As Haneul held her brother’s hand, she suddenly saw a vision mirrored in her eyes. 

 

She saw an illuminating light in the darkest place and then 13 figures reflected against time and space. 

 

From below them, she saw her twin brother. 

 

He looked so pale that for a minute, Haneul couldn’t recognize her older brother. His eyes were still the same, a hazel shade and always shined brightly in any kind of light. 

 

He smiled. 

 

He smiled at her.

 

It was the smile that always distinguished her from her brother. 

 

They were identical twins and Hanbit always had an aura of an angel. He was always genuinely thoughtful and kind. 

 

He was a selfless human being.

 

And then there was Haneul who was the complete opposite of him.

 

Haneul had an aura of a feisty demon. She was always carefree and didn’t give a damn about her brother’s work.

 

The twins were always compared to one another, but either of them cared. 

 

Hanbi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter