All the Little Stars in the Sky

Meet the Byuns
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

In a way, Baekhyun could hardly believe that he was married to the man he slept with in the same bed every night, as odd as that sounds. As much as he knew he was one himself, Chanyeol was a real whirlwind.

Over the years he’d come to know the taller to be a bit of a two- multi-faceted man, always having a certain persona he switched to in whatever situation he found it fitting. It wasn’t a mental illness of some kind (at least Baekhyun hopes not), but instead just Chanyeol being… chaotic. There we go.

Like the time they went to a pet shelter together in hopes of finding another pet, Baekhyun saw the way the giant cooed at every single animal in the damn shelter; the cats too, even though Chanyeol’s allergic. He was a real puppy at that moment, and Baekhyun had to remind himself that that was the same man who brought him to dinner with his parents with a bullet up Baekhyun’s . And maybe even the time he found himself soaking wet for his boyfriend-turned-husband at a concert. The same night, after three rounds of ing, Chanyeol almost cried over the fact that National Geographic doesn’t lay down their lives to save dying animals when they’re out filming in the wild.

Sometimes, to Baekhyun, Chanyeol felt like a hike in the woods, or a drive through a place you’ve never been to; ‘Are we going in circles? Is it North or South? Wait, no! It’s East! Which way is East again? Did anyone bring a compass?!’

Enough said.

But even though he spoke so fast that Baekhyun could hardly understand him sometimes, even though he snores so loud that Baekhyun has to manhandle him into a position that keeps him from snoring most nights, he’s Baekhyun’s Chanyeol.

But right now, the smaller one could hardly believe that.

Or, rather, Baekhyun could hardly believe this was his Chanyeol at all.

Right now, Chanyeol looked like he was married right out of high school, worked the same job for the past several years (which was true, just not the kind of job you would think), and had at least three children. But that was the issue: very few of those things were true.

Baekhyun met Chanyeol when he was twenty-three years old. Freshly graduated from college with a degree in marketing, new to the city, and so stressed that he was in desperate need of getting dicked down, Baekhyun could barely believe his eyes at the sight of such a… big man, in more ways than one. Not only was the drummer in his roommate’s band possibly the tallest man he’d ever seen (in the city so far), his arms were bulging every time he skillfully tapped his drumsticks against the set, his eyes were boring into his eyes with devastating ferocity, his smirk just as broad as his shoulders. And later that night, Baekhyun found out that something else was big too.

Since the day he'd come to know Chanyeol as a man who would spend his life making the very best out of it, he'd been surprised to know that Chanyeol's plan of spending his life exploring the world, trying out random that could get him killed, staying perpetually filled with valor in the face of issues that he could walk past without caring even the slightest, had eventually changed. It started when the giant had shown up one night to Baekhyun and Jongdae's apartment out of breath, as though he'd ran miles to get there, and revealed to Baekhyun that he had a big break with an entertainment company and that they were signing a contract with the band. Baekhyun had initially been unaware of what it meant until he realized that Chanyeol would stay in the city, unlike how he'd first planned. Then it was their engagement a year later, and the fact that they loved their apartment and the modesty it reflected. Tying the knot was supposed to be the final stage because Baekhyun still wasn't sure entirely what Chanyeol had planned for the future, he just had the promise that he would always be included in it.

Kids... kids were the real problem. Baekhyun wanted them. He wanted to hold an innocent, faultless being close to his chest and cherish it. He wanted to love his child and raise it in the loveliest way possible. But Chanyeol? Who knows anymore.

That's what makes right now slightly hopeful for Baekhyun.

Chanyeol smiles when the little girl boops his nose, making little sound effects when he smiles because she has very blatantly expressed her admiration for his dimples, giggling every so often. His niece and nephew, most seriously, absolutely adore him. Whether it's literally climbing the man, squeezing his cheeks, or flat-out screaming for him at every family reunion, they only want him. Baekhyun used to wonder, I'm their actual uncle, don't they want me? But as of lately, Baekhyun's been feeling a little feverish. No, he's not sick, it's not even what you're probably imagining it to be.

Baekhyun has the most contagious of all sicknesses. Baby Fever.

Don't judge him. Since he was little he's loved babies and their innocence, their cluelessness to their surroundings. They are faultless, tiny beings; miracles in every circumstance. Ever since childhood, from the days in daycare where he used to play cutely play family with his playmates to now, where he's an adult with a job, a mortgage, and a husband, he's always dreamt of starting his own family. But he can only wonder, where does Chanyeol stand?

"Looking marvelous, Princess Haeyoon!" the man he calls his husband cheers, bowing down on one knee to Baekhyun's six-year-old niece smiling happily in her blue dress. His brother's youngest daughter has been obsessed with princesses since birth, and just her luck, Chanyeol naturally plays a good knight in shining armor.

Baekhyun almost forgets what he entered the room for, finding himself staring at the sight before him. It's nothing much; just his cutest niece and his incredibly handsome spouse wrecking his insides from the outside. He doesn't snap out of it until Chanyeol glances up from sipping his "tea" to find Baekhyun watching them dazedly, with a contented smile on his face.

"Baek? Babe? You all right?"

The smaller shakes his head, nodding quickly before Chanyeol gets some sort of insane idea that something is wrong. "Yeah... I just came to tell you guys dinner is ready and that grandma will go all Witch Mode on me again if you two don't get in here," Baekhyun replies, watching the giant's face light up. If there's anything Chanyeol likes when they're at Baekhyun's childhood home, it's the food Baekhyun's mother makes especially for him.

"You hear that, Princess? Dinner's ready!" the giant coos, exaggerating it just perfectly to appeal to a little girl as finicky as Byun Haeyoon. "Now, if you're going to be super brave and go slay that dragon, like the mighty warrior you are, you have to build up some muscle first! We gotta eat!" Baekhyun wants to object to say that's no proper excuse because Chanyeol is already well-built (to his credit, thank you very much), but for the sake of getting the poor child to eat something, Baekhyun plays along.

When Haeyoon nods her little royal head, Chanyeol does what he does best and throws the girl over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes and carries her to the dining room, all the while she squeals delightedly with every long stride he takes. His mother very nearly scolds him for doing so, but when the girl asks him to do it again, she calms down and tells Haeyoon that Chanyeol will do it later, after dinner.

They enjoy dinner like regular, with Baekbeom talking passionately about his work as a surgeon and their parents pitching in every so often with some encouraging words. Chanyeol is asked about the success of his band and what they've been doing as of recently, but Baekhyun can only stare off into space with the thought of seeing Chanyeol with their own children on his mind.

"What's up, buttercup?"

Baekhyun tears his gaze away from the sky at the sound of the door shutting and the familiar voice that follows it. He relaxes at the sight of one of his closest, most unproblematic family members, and happy that it's not the one person he's very diligently attempting to avoid.

"Hey, Dad," Baekhyun answers, looking out at the sunset as it begins to fade away, resembling the way warm water fades into cold.

The man sits down with a feigned grunt. Baekhyun has known since the man started doing it that that sound is nothing more than a mere habit his father gained while he tried to find the cleverest way to get people to pity him. He used to use it when they were at the doctor's office and sitting in the chair would be one of those young people with no children, no chronic health problems, and just the vulnerability of any nice person who would give up their seat for someone who looks and sounds like he needs it. So Baekhyun feels no concern, but that also scares him because what if he didn't know the difference between what was real and what wasn't?

"Is everything all right, son?" his father asks, looking at him with concern.

Baekhyun shrugs. "Eh, it's okay. Just tired. Mom stresses me out with her constant story-telling about me running around as a kid. Really, why, out of all the times she could talk about it, does she randomly think about it at a family reunion where my own husband listens to everything she says?" Like always, his mother is one main factor of his frustration, but oddly, she's not the very center of it today. His own thoughts are.

Byun Junseo laughs. "Come on, Baekhyun. She's your mother. I know she's not always your favorite person, but at least she didn't tell about the time we caught you kissing the neighbor's son--"

"Dad!'" Baekhyun whines. "Seriously? You too? Why is the whole world going against me right now?"

"I'm just joking," the man says when he calms down. "But can you blame her? You were one cute baby, Baek. You are your mother's pride and joy, I'm pretty sure that at one point your brother was jealous of you, and you weren't even a year old yet," he adds, ruffling Baekhyun's hair from where he sits beside him on the front porch.

Baaekhyun sighs, the words, as sweet and encouraging as they are, make his worries even worse.

"But that's not what you're thinking about, is it?"

The young man lets out a sigh. "No," he mutters softly.

Junseo raises an eyebrow. "Now, would you like to tell me what is bothering you?" Mr. Byun questions, watching closely the way Baekhyun's gaze falls into his lap.

Baekhyun fiddles with his fingers in the pocket of his (Chanyeol's) oversized hoodie, deliberating a way to put it carefully for his father to understand. But instead of a professional question like one of his bosses would ask him if they were curious about something he was presenting to them, it comes out as, "Dad, when did you and Mom know you wanted to have a baby?" It was sort of dumb, considering the fact that Baekhyun knew his brother was actually part of the deal that allowed his parents to marry and continue their lives together, but still, he was curious.

Mr. Byun looks taken aback at the inquisition in his tone like he'd been waiting to ask that question all day. Baekhyun has always been very good at voicing his thoughts very bluntly and this time is no different, only it strikes a chord in Junseo that has him asking a question in return. "Are you considering starting a family, son?"

Baekhyun closes his eyes and takes a deep breath. "I-... I don't know. I think that I'm ready to move onto the next step with Chanyeol, but how do you know? Does it just happen? How did you guys know you wanted to have me?"

Baekhyun father's grins at him, chuckling a bit. "You really want to know?" Baekhyun shrugs lazily in response. "Honestly? Baekhyun, you were a surprise."

Baekhyun's gaze shoots to his father with his eyebrows furrowed. All this time, he'd never expected to be called a surprise. Baekhyun was pretty sure that surprise was a nice word for a mistake, but whatever, he was just shocked that his mother actually had something happen that was completely out of her circle of control. "Surprise?" Baekhyun repeats.

"Yep. I just got home from work one day when the second I opened the front door, your mother was clinging to me like she hadn't seen me in years. I was alarmed at first, thought something was wrong--but she told me that we were having a baby. And, Baekhyun, I don't think you understand how joyful your mother was at that moment. We had tried for another baby years prior to your birth, but eventually gave up hope and just stopped trying for a while because it was stressing us out. Your brother had always asked for a sibling and every time, your mother would just break out in tears because nothing made sense. Why couldn't we just have another one? We were two, perfectly healthy people but it just wouldn't work. At one point we even considered adopting. And that day, that day I came home and she was just bawling her eyes out, I- don't tell your brother, Baekhyun, but I don't ever think I've ever seen your mother happier than at that moment," the father tells his son truthfully, eyeing the other's expression as they morph through the many phases of realization. Disbelief, sadness, and near the end, happiness.

Baekhyun takes in his father's words. His parents have always been oddly restrained when discussing their lives prior to children and even before Baekhyun's childhood. But it's not like he's ever been particularly curious regarding their love lives--not disinterested, just... well, yeah, not interested.

He's always known he's special to his mother, but he never knew that he was a present for their family. He just thought he was a regular baby born years apart from his older brother, not a surprise baby who came when they least expected. Hey, he at least now knows the outlying significance he has for his parents besides just their love for him as their son, but it's still kind of... shocking. And endearing.

"Starting a family is never easy, Baekhyun. I'm just being honest with you," Baekhyun's father says. "You're so used to it being just you and your spouse. The house is quiet and you don't rush to leave the house literally every morning. But all that changes when it comes to kids. You have to take their comfort into account, their health. Not to mention all the preparation and money it takes to get ready to raise a baby by itself. It stresses you out so much that it much it makes you want to pull your hair out and scream and cry until the day's end. But trust me when I say that there's nothing on the earth more endearing, more beautiful than waking up one day and realizing that you are this child's whole world and that you are theirs. It's never going to come at a good time, son. But when is there ever a good time? When you're financially stable? But then there are other problems other than finances. There will never be a good time to start your family, okay? You sort of just have to... go with the flow, I guess? And if things don't go as planned, you always have people who are there for you; me, your mother, and of course Chanyeol. He'll be right there with you."

It makes sense, it does. While he may think there's some sort of prime-age to have children and start raising them, things happen that can always turn upside down. The financial situation is looking pretty good? Watch one of you get laid off. You're ready? You could wake up tomorrow and realize that screaming, crying, everywhere, and constant puking is not for you, but then it's too late. Dad's right. There will never be a perfect time for anything, no perfect happy ending where all the protagonists live and fall in love. Though the reality is far cruder, it's sensible. Baekhyun should stop waiting for a perfect time to come along to try, for the perfect opportunity. Nothing good was ever gained by waiting exasperatingly.

That might be cleared up, but what if Chanyeol still doesn't have the same plans?

"Did you want kids when Mom had Hyung?" Baekhyun asks, looking his father in the eye. "I know that you'd do anything for Mom, but was there a moment where you didn't want to do it?"

"Of course," his father answers honestly. "But what could I do about it? When you make a commitment like that, Baekhyun, you can't just back out. And certainly not for petty reasons like, "I didn't want this" or "we're not ready for this", because what you're guarding is more than just your own happiness and life, it's a baby. It's going to grow up and have a life, too. I was scared--frightened, even--when everything happened, but as long as I got your mother at the end of it and we lived happily together, baby or not, we would be happy. And I'll tell you what, I regret nothing. I don't think that I could ever be happier."

Baekhyun raises an eyebrow. "Even if Mom yells at you all the time?"

Junseo nods resolutely. "Even if your mother yells at me all the time."

They fall into silence, Baekhyun wondering what to ask next because it's a long process filled with many questions, it's not something made to be super easy. If you are making that commitment meant a lot of sacrifices and a lot of perseverance. It would never be easy, there's nothing to expedite the process in any way, it's a challenge of endurance, love, and trust. And maybe, Baekhyun thinks, he and Chanyeol have it all.

"Are you going to ask him?"

"What?" Baekhyun asks.

"Chanyeol," Mr. Byun says. "Are you going to ask Chanyeol if he's ready to make this commitment?"

Baekhyun looks down at his lap again. "I don't think he wants kids."

"Have you two never talked about it?" Junseo inquires.

"We have," Baekhyun admits, "just not in great detail. I haven't directly asked him about starting a family, but I don't think he really wants that. I think Chanyeol likes how quiet the apartment is, I think he likes that it's just the two of us."

Junseo nods with heavy brows, looking understanding. "So did you just make that assumption or did he state directly that he doesn't want kids? Because what I saw today, what I see every time he's with kids, is nothing but adoration for the purity of their spirits. I don't think Chanyeol's going to come out and say it in fear of pressuring you into something he thinks you don't want. But why don't you just ask? I know I'm not the container of all information but I have eyes, and I think he's just as afraid as you are. Just kill two birds with one stone, Baek."

"But what if he--"

"Thinks otherwise? Even if he does, you guys are married and a little question can't you hurt too bad. Love for each other is something so powerful that not even opposing life plans can defeat its force. Don't let fear consume you, all right? I've never known you to be someone who lets such a trivial matter control his conscience."

Baekhyun deflates, having nothing in his own defense. Damn his father (but not really, Baekhyun loves him) for being so good at giving advice.

"Anyway," Junseo begins as he stands like he didn't totally just blow Baekhyun's mind like he always does, "your mother prepared her famous coconut tiramisu and I can't miss out on that. Good luck!"

Damn it.

Having thought about what his father said yesterday, Baekhyun decided that yes, he couldn't just make such an important assumption about his husband without taking into his account his actual feedback to the proposal of starting their family. He spent half the night worrying about it ending in a bad way but ultimately decided that he knows his husband. Chanyeol loves him and he would never give him up for something as teeny, tiny as expectations for their lives together. And if Chanyeol concludes he's not ready to start a family yet, so be it. They've only been married for three years now and they're still young, they have plenty of time to procreate when they unanimously determine that it's time to start, or if that time never comes... Baekhyun can deal with that. He would do anything to be with his husband for the rest of his life.

So Baekhyun woke the sleeping grizzly bear up at 9 A.M. and told the giant he had to get dressed or else he would have to spend the rest of the day with Baekhyun's third cousin, Lia, who may or may not have a huge, random, and highly unwelcomed crush on Chanyeol even if he's married. Of course, Baekhyun would never throw his own husband to be shark bait, so whether Chanyeol decided to take the offer or not, he would make the taller go with him.

"A cafe... Baek, what the ? We have coffee at your parents' house," is the first thing the giant coherently says when he realizes Baekhyun has dragged him to the front of some cafe where the paint is chipping off on the outside and the windows look like they've been cleaned by a five-year-old. It's no different than some of the things he sees in the city; sometimes there are stores disguised as cafes that contain much... worse things.

Baekhyun doesn't listen to a word (more like a curse) the giant spits in all his I-can't-function-before-11-A.M. haze. He simply orders an iced americano and a plain black coffee with a chocolate croissant and strawberry tart since he knows that honestly, Chanyeol doesn't care anymore. He's tired and worse, he's hungry. But they happen to be in the sort of place where both those problems can be fixed easily.

"Are you going to keeping whining or are you going to eat?" Baekhyun asks, watching in amusement the way Chanyeol squirms like a child in his seat because he's just that pissed he got dragged out of bed at that hour on his damn vacation.

Chanyeol pouts. "What did you get me?"

"A black coffee and a chocolate croissant," the smaller says, pushing the pastry across the small table to the taller man who accepts it silently like a little kid who didn't get exactly what he wants, but something that's still tempting. "Are you going to say thank you?"

Chanyeol looks at him with exasperation. "Please, Baek. I'm not five."

"Really?" the smaller asks, cocking an eyebrow. "Because about ten minutes ago I had to threaten to take your own damn belt and spank you with it if you didn't stop whining, so tell me one more time, are you five years old or not?"

Chanyeol's pout only grows. He reaches for the black coffee and accepts it too. "Thank you," he murmurs quietly. Baekhyun fights the urge the simultaneously roll his eyes and laugh because Chanyeol looks so much like a little kid it's not even funny.

Bakehyun hums in satisfaction. "That's what I thought."

"What's this?"

"It's a gazebo, dummy. Have you never seen one?"

"Ow," Chanyeol winces when Baekhyun gives him an expected punch on the shoulder. "My own husband is verbally and physically abusing me, anyone could see too. I could just walk over to the police station and tell them you're hurting me, I'm pretty sure they'd do something about it," the giant says, which compels the elder to glare at him warningly. Remind Chanyeol never to make Baekhyun grumpy after acting like a child on a good day. "And yes, I have seen one. But what are we doing here?"

Baekhyun breathes a sigh and settles down on the bench built into the sleek, white-primed wood of the contraption. In all honesty, what are they doing here? Baekhyun guesses that even though he was functioning on little sleep, he desperately wanted to get everything over with. If that meant talking to Chanyeol about it right then, so be it. But Baekhyun, if they disagreed, did not want him or his family members to face Chanyeol if he got upset about it. Chanyeol is not a violent person, he has never been. He follows Baekhyun's wants and needs in bed, but that's not really necessary to the topic going through Baekhyun's mind, It's just that Chanyeol likes to be alone when he's upset. If Baekhyun told him straight right then and there, he probably wouldn't even give Baekhyun a hint of an answer, he would ask Baekhyun to give him some time to think and during that time, he would make up his mind and confront Baekhyun as quickly as possible.

"Sit down," Baekhyun voices out, looking up at the tall man who watches him curiously. "I wanted to talk to you about something, but I didn't want to have to when my family was there and would probably ask you a -ton of invasive questions. I guess we're here because I wanted to ask you something really important." Baekhyun shrugs like he doesn't know where to go with this. Why is he so scared?

Chanyeol hums. "You know, I actually have something I want to talk to you about as well."

Oh, gosh. What could that be about? What if it's Chanyeol saying he is not ready for this because he saw the way Baekhyun was watching him and Haeyoon yesterday and got an idea of his thoughts?

"What is this place?" Chanyeol asks all of a sudden, startling Baekhyun. "You never bring me somewhere unless you're hungry and you forgot your wallet, or it has some kind of significance to you. I don't see you inhaling a bagel, so I'm thinking it's the latter."

Baekhyun can't stop himself from breaking out in laughter. " you," he says without hostility.

"Here? Oh, baby, I would gladly do so if only I didn't have a brain and could remember what happened last time in your own damn house. As much as I would love to, I think you would hate me afterward," the taller smugly replies and narrowly avoids Baekhyun's agile swats at him. I guess when you've lived with someone like Baekhyun for so long, you know their habits and their response to some things you say. Just like how Baekhyun always prepares when they're at the movies and it's a comedy because if he didn't, he'd have broken a few things by now since Chanyeol laughs and hits hard.

"Okay, back on-topic," Baekhyun states, watching the taller lower his defense and settle the best a man as tall as he can when the bench is super low to the ground. "You asked me about this place? I used to come here a lot in my younger years when I needed time to think about things. I came here when I got asked out for the first time--don't." The taller backs down into his seat with a pout because Baekhyun saw his response to anything about a past relationship coming, the way the taller perked up and prepared something derogatory about his past love interests in his mi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter