Exodus 20:12

Our Innermost Demons
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Honor your father and mother. Then you will live a long, full life in the land the Lord your God is giving you.

Exodus 20:12

 

 

He had often thought about what would happen if he left his wife. But the thought of seeing Naeun suffer had prevented him from ever saying the words out loud.

 

Minho's eyes lingered on Taemin. Quickly, Naeun had taken him into her heart. So much so that she had confided in him. He wondered where he and Sooyoung had drifted off to. Naeun smiled lovingly at Taemin. Every time he gave her advice, she listened to him attentively. Taemin also kept showing her what a wonderful girl she was. He praised her and was very patient with her. When she couldn't do something right away, his features remained understanding and his voice calm. Why couldn't his wife be so gentle with her daughter? It was so easy for Taemin.

 

Seeing his daughter so carefree drove Minho to experience mixed feelings. Not everyone would or could, not even her own mother, be so gentle with Naeun. Seeing her untroubled was all he wanted. He considered extending the hours. That way Naeun would have more time to dwell in her carefree state. And he could watch her and Taemin for longer. But he knew this atmosphere would not last.

 

She had confided in Taemin. In him she saw a friend, someone she could talk to. Minho realised what it was that made Naeun open up to Taemin. It was his caring and loving nature. He did not judge, but showed patience and compassion. But it also meant that Naeun had heard him and Sooyoung arguing. Minho had stayed with his wife because he thought it was best for his daughter. But if she knew her parents were fighting, did it make sense to stay? Would Sooyoung agree to a divorce just like that? He highly doubted it. In their circles, people didn't split up.

 

He had to smile bitterly. What might he hear from his father once Sooyoung told him about it? It made him genuinely curious. In what way would he then insult him? Minho was sure that he had already heard every kind of rebuke. His fingers begin to tremble.

 

"Dad!" cheerfully Naeun waved to her father who was leaning against the fence.

 

Taemin helped the little girl get down from the horse. Minho watched lovingly as the two laughed together. He thought back to his conversation with Taemin. How gentle he sounded when he talked about Naeun. He had only known her for a short time, but he was genuinely worried about her. Minho's heart skipped a beat, but he could not place what it meant. He had never felt anything like it before.

 

Naeun came running up to him and he put off his thoughts until later.

"Dad! Taemin said next time we can go for a real ride." She told him proudly. She was bouncing on the grass with excitement.

"Is that so?" he asked her with wide eyes. Taemin came up to the two.

"There is a nice trail around here." He pointed to a small patch of forest behind their property.

"Naeun will manage to stroll across there with Eve just fine."

 

Naeun and Taemin looked at each other smiling as if they had a secret. There it was again Minho noticed and he had to swallow. Taemin's profile was soft. Soft and loving, it was lying on Naeun. Only now had he noticed that Taemin had a birthmark on his right wing of his nose. It looked cute he thought.

 

"What have you two been cooking up again?" he wanted to know and waited until the two finally came out with their sneakiness. "You have to come with us, of course." Said Taemin.

"On a horse!" Naeun laughed at the thought of her father having to ride too, after all he had never done it before.

"But I don't even know how to ride." Minho's played helplessness made his daughter laugh further.

"That's where it's handy that we know a good teacher, isn't it Naeun?" She nodded eagerly.

 

Taemin looked down at the ground a little sheepishly, but couldn't hold back a smile. He couldn't put his finger on what it was. Whether it was Minho's compliment, the way he spoke to his daughter, or his smile. But he felt comfortable around him. And he thought the older one enjoyed his company as well. He hadn't even minded smoking in front of him anymore. Minho's wife didn't even know that her husband smoked. So why did Minho share this secret with him? Even if Taemin did not know the exact reason, he was grateful for the closeness he shared with Minho.

 

He wanted to enjoy the little time he was allowed to spend with him. He could worry later. Even if this night would become unbearable for him again, the time with Naeun and Minho was healing for him. They made the sleepless nights endurable. It was a quiet time that co

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter