Hebrews 12:18-19

Our Innermost Demons
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You have not come to a mountain that can be touched and that is burning with fire; to darkness, gloom and storm; to a trumpet blast or to such a voice speaking words that those who heard it begged that no further word be spoken to them.

Hebrews 12:18-19

 

 

Only slowly had Taemin done his work today. Days after the conversation with Baekhyun, Taemin was still thinking about his words. He thought about what he should tell Minho. He thought that maybe Minho would also like to be his friend. But he was also afraid that a friendship between them might hurt more than their break-up.

 

The evening sun was slowly setting and the last orange rays of the day were about to go to bed. Taemin saw his father packing some things into their car.

"Dad, what's going on?" he wanted to know. It was not usual for his father to leave in the evening, and then unannounced.

"The Kims called me." He explained as he closed the boot.

"Maya is having her foal. I'll stay the night to check on her." Taemin nodded understandably.

 

Maya was one of the horses born on their farm, that they had sold though. Taemin joined Jinki on the porch as they watched the car leave.

 

"Just you and me today, huh?" said Jinki to his little brother in high spirits.

"Shall we watch a movie?" he suggested.

 

It was certainly a good way to talk to Taemin about everything and get clarity on everything. At least that's what Jinki wished. If he guessed correctly, Taemin certainly wouldn't want to talk about it.

 

Jínki came into the living room with a bowl of popcorn but looked around in surprise when Taemin wasn't there.

 

"What are you doing?" he asked Taemin as he stepped into the hallway. Taemin put on his shoes and jacket.

"Dad called. He wants me to come help him." Jinki didn't remeber hearing the phone even ring.

"You want me to drive you?" he asked his little brother. Taemin shook his head.

"Dad's not far yet, he's waiting for me."

 

Jinki wasn't surprised that his father wanted Taemin's help. Maybe it would help Taemin distract himself from all that was on his mind right now.

 

"More popcorn for myself." He said therefore and let Taemin go out into the dusk.

 

Taemin took a deep breath. He despised himself for being able to lie so well these days.  

 

 

 

 

Minho's tie suffocated him. It tightened around his neck like the body of a snake. With slightly trembling fingers, he tried to put it on again and again, but to no avail. He loosened it again and let it fall to the floor.

 

If he wanted to get there in time for Sooyoung's concert, he had to hurry. His parents and wife had already driven up with Naeun this morning. Not without telling him first, of course, how stupid it was of him not to have taken the day off.

 

He sat down tiredly on his bed and put his face in his hands. A glass of scotch and soda with a cigarette sounded more tempting at the moment than an evening in company full of bumblers. But he already had his shirt on, he couldn't have another cigarette now, no matter how much his body longed for it.

 

How much would he have to drink to forget? His wife would announce today that she was pregnant. His cheeks were already hurting from all the fake smiles. To strangers and people who meant nothing to him, he would have to pretend an ideal life.

 

The roar of the doorbell echoed in his ears. At first Minho thought he had misheard, because it was already late and he was not expecting visitors. Had his father come back to get him? Minho sighed wearily but went downstairs. A car ride with his father was all he was missing.

 

His worn look changed abruptly when he opened the door. Minho gripped the door handle tightly, he had to hold on to keep his balance. His breath quickened all at once. It took everything he had not to take the blond man in front of him into his arms.

 

Taemin looked as gorgeous as ever. His dark eyes shone with sadness and hope. Taemin was relieved to find Minho, even if it pained him. It gave him tingling nerves to think that Sooyoung could have opened the door. All the way here he had wondered what he could have said to her. He couldn't think of a suitable or believable answer, and yet he hadn't turned back. He couldn't.

 

A storm raged inside him in all directions. And he did not know which turmoil to follow. But all the thunder stopped when he finally saw him again in front of him. The raging sea was calm.

 

Minho looked tired. Taemin would have liked to take the elder in his arms and comfort him.

 

For a moment, the two just stood there looking at each other. In the silence of the darkness they could hear each other's hearts pounding.

 

Minho looked closely at Taemin's glistening eyes and full lips. He had to memorise every detail before that image vanished before his eyes again like smoke. The cold night air had reddened Taemin's cheeks a little. Minho could not move. If this was all just a dream, he never wanted to wake up again. He would have preferred to stay like this forever.

 

"I got your address from the contract..." Taemin bro

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter