Job 30:20-22

Our Innermost Demons
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I cry out to you, God, but you do not answer; I stand up, but you merely look at me. You turn on me ruthlessly; with the might of your hand you attack me. You snatch me up and drive me before the wind; you toss me about in the storm.

Job 30:20-22

 

 

Taemin took a deep breath before opening the door of the café. He had looked in the window and seen that Key had to work today.

 

"Taemin!" The slender man waved at him when he saw him come in.

"Have a seat, I'll join you in a minute."

 

Taemin did as he was told. He played with his fingers and went over everything he wanted to say in his head again. But when Key sat down opposite him, his mind went blank.

 

"How are you?" he wanted to know and placed two milkshakes on the table. Immediately Taemin's hot fingers gripped the chilled glass.

"So I...um..." he stammered to himself, searching for the words that had escaped him.

"Is everything alright?" Key laughed at him because he didn't understand Taemin's hesitancy.

"Yeah...yeah, it is. I just wanted to ask you something..."

 

Taemin swallowed. He didn't mean to be intrusive, but he didn't know what to do. If he wanted to start a new life today, he had to start getting his things in order. But a conversation with his father, he didn't know how to go about it. Where and how should he even start.

 

"Fire away." Like an open book, Key sat there waiting for Taemin to speak.

"Well...your family, they know you're...you know..." Taemin's face tightened slightly.

 

The word was still difficult for him. He didn't know if it was wrong or right, he just knew that he was the word and he couldn't fight it anymore. And if he was honest with himself, he also realised that he didn't want to fight it any longer. What he was could not be changed. Deep inside he had always felt it. But only with time, with the help of Minho, with the help of his brother, could he begin to accept it all.

 

Jinkis's words helped him. If God had created everything, could it be wrong? God was without fault after all. There remained only a way forward for him.

 

"Gay?" Key said.

 

Taemin nodded hastily and looked apologetically at Key. He envied the man in front of him for being able to say it so easily and, more importantly, so confidently. He wished that one day he too would be able to talk about it so openly.

 

"Yes, what about it?" the black-haired one asked nonchalantly.

"I was going to ask how you...well...how you...told them." Blushing, Taemin looked down at his milkshake as he uttered the words.

 

Key's mouth stood open. He couldn't quite believe what had happened. That Taemin had come to him for advice warmed his heart. If he could help just one person find himself, then all the bullying at school had been worth it.

 

"Taemin..." Lovingly and proudly he had said his name, so Taemin dared to look up slightly.

 

Key gave him a gentle smile. Taemin had never seen Key's sharp eyes so full of love. His shoulders relaxed a little. He was relieved that he had Key to talk to. Key looked to the side with a satisfied smile and reflected.

 

"Well. It wasn't a real coming out." He recalled fondly.

"My parents and I were watching a movie. My mom thought the actor was really cute and I agreed with her." He had to laugh as he thought back to the situation.

"It was more of a reflex, I wasn't planning on telling them at the time, but that's how it was." It had been a long time since he had thought about it. It had been a lovely evening.

"And they just accepted it?" Taemin wanted to know, looking at Key with hopeful eyes.

"It's not like they had any other choice. But I think they've always known." Taemin was surprised at this statement.

"How would they have known?" Key shrugged at Taemin's question.

"They raised me. And after that we didn't really have a conversation, it was just like that. Actually, everything was the same after that."

 

Taemin thought. Had his father also known it already, deep inside him? If so, he had repressed it as Taemin himself did. But the thought that everything could stay the same afterwards delighted him. That was what he wanted. Because nothing would change. He would still be the same. He would still be Taemin. Lost deep in his thoughts, Taemin didn't notice Jonghyun coming towards them.

 

"Hi Babe." He heard Key say and woke up from his trance.

"Hey. How are you?" Jonghyun sat down next to Key and smiled at Taemin.

 

Taemin had to shake his head. The two of them had clearly kissed in greeting. With a hasty glance, Taemin looked around the café. There were other people around besides them.

 

"You two..." he said slightly in disbelief, looking back and forth between the two. Key and his boyfriend looked lovingly at each other.

"Yes, we've made it public." Confirmed Key, cheeks slightly flushed.

 

Taemin hadn't prayed last night but he had hoped for a sign. And now it was sitting right in front of him. Holding hands and being happy. Had God really heard him? After all this time? It must have been so. He had only misinterpreted God's assignment all this time.

A heavy burden fell from his shoulder when he realised that.

"Life is too short to hide." Said Jonghyun. Taemin still remembered Key's words that Jonghyun still needed time.

"There are so many things I still want to do. And if I can't share all that with him, then what is a life worth?" It was as if Jonghyun was looking straight into Taemin's heart and saying the words he felt himself.

"That's wonderful." Said Taemin with a huge smile.

"Congratulations you two." He was truly happy for them.

 

 

 

 

After his work, Taemin rushed off. Minho was probably already waiting for him in the cave. He could hardly wait to see him. He was ready. He was ready to give up everything to finally be with him. They could start their life together sooner than they thought. Minho would take him in his arms, kiss him and then they would plan everything. He could hardly wait.

 

A little out of breath, he looked at Minho, beaming with joy. Minho stood in the dark light looking at the young blond man.

 

"Sorry I'm late. Putting out the food took longer than usual somehow." He apologised and hugged his lover tightly.

 

He nuzzled deep into Minho's chest. Finally. He would be able to do this every day from now on. Only weakly did Minho's arms wrap around Taemin's body.

 

"Have you found a flat yet?" he asked curiously, looking up at him with bright eyes. Taemin shook his

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter