Isaiah 27:10

Our Innermost Demons
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The fortified city stands desolate, an abandoned settlement, forsaken like the wilderness; there the calves graze, there they lie down; they strip its branches bare.

Isaiah 27:10

 

 

Minho tried to fasten the button around his sleeve. Since they were going to a small suburb outside their big city today, he didn't want to get too dressed up. The logo of a renowned clothing brand adorned the white, loose-fitting shirt above his chest. His beige coloured golf pants hugged his defined waist and went down to his ankles. He was glad to be able to put his feet into simple white trainers today instead of shiny oxfords that only served to impress others.

 

"Are you ready?" he asked his wife, his eyes still on the undone button.

 

In her high heels, Sooyoung was almost as tall as her athletic husband. After the birth of their daughter, Sooyoung had quickly lost what little weight she had gained during her pregnancy. It was not long before she was just as slim as before.

 

She wore a tight pencil skirt, matching the colour of Minho's trousers. She had not yet put on her blouse. Her white bralette was lined with lace and flattered her figure and bosom. She was thirty, but her smooth skin and large doe eyes made most people think she was much younger. She had started to take care of her skin at an early age. Her mother reminded her that the sooner she started, the longer she would look young. Her make-up also contributed to this. It was subtle, but it emphasised her natural features. She put her shoulder-length brown hair behind her back and put on her earring.

 

Visually, they were the perfect couple. Two children from rich families who lived up to their respective names. And nothing else had their parents hoped for or expected when they had arranged for the two of them to be engaged to each other.

 

"I can't believe we're actually going there." She didn't really sound annoyed, but it was definitely an inconvenience for her. Minho didn't answer her, he was too busy with the button still open. When her earring was pinned, she sighed slightly and walked over to her husband. "I'm telling you, she'll lose interest, like she did in dancing, like she did in tennis..." she enumerated as she closed the button for him.

 

"I'll wait for you downstairs." Minho interrupted her dryly as soon as the button was closed and walked out of their spacious dressing room. Sooyoung stood there for a moment to collect herself. She couldn't remember the last time they had slept with each other. She shook off the thought and put on her blouse.

 

Minho heard his seven year old daughter already calling for him as he walked down the white marble stairs. "Dad!"

 

He would never forget the most beautiful day in his life. The first time he was allowed to hold Naeun in his arms, he promised himself to protect her from everything. And to this day, he had not broken that promise.

 

"Are you excited?" with ease he lifted the little girl up and took her in his arms.

 

She was wearing a cute blue dress with lots of ruffles on it. With a blue clip to match the dress, her long black hair was decorated. The big dark eyes were her mother's. And even though she reminded him more of his wife with each passing day, the memories of little Sooyoung were precious to him. Back when they were best friends. He remembered their childhood together fondly. The love, however, in his gaze when he looked at Naeun was all for his daughter. She was worth all that. This thought accompanied Minho every night when he lay down to sleep next to his wife.

 

Naeun nodded her head energetically. "We will select for you the most beautiful horse of all." He promised her with eyes wide open and she had to giggle at his slightly silly manner.

 

Minho had dark brown, big eyes. But when he widened them, he reminded his daughter of a frog. Naeun always found that thought funny. Her father couldn't be an animal, or she might have had green skin or would sometimes croak, but none of that applied to her.

 

Sooyoung's footsteps were clearly audible as now she too came down the stairs. "Are you ready?" A glance at her outfit answered Minho's question. She had put on a white, tight-fitting blouse. Minho didn't understand why she had dressed up like that, after all they were going to a horse farm. Trainers and comfortable clothes were more appropriate. But he did not voice his thoughts. He had stopped reminding Sooyoung of the promise they made together twelve years ago.

 

"I just don't understand why it has to be a farm outside the city. We have many great riding instructors here." Said Sooyoung as she came down the last few steps. "Sooyoung." He didn't say it sternly, but a slight rebuke floated along as he spoke her name. And it felt to her as if he was holding Naeun a little tighter as he said it. That and his gaze were enough for her to stop talking. She understood what he wanted to say. She thought it was sweet towards Naeun that he never wanted to argue in front of her, or just say a bad word. But she was also aware that they could not protect Naeun from everything forever. The world was not always a happy place, as Minho wanted to portray it for Naeun.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter