Acts 22:11

Our Innermost Demons
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

My companions led me by the hand into Damascus, because the brilliance of the light had blinded me.

Acts 22:11

 

 

Quietly, Taemin closed the door behind him and leaned with his back against it. His thoughts were still full of Minho and his tender touch.

 

"Were you able to sort everything out?" his father's voice sounded gruff.

 

As soon as he heard the door handle being pushed down, he jumped up and hurried into the hallway. Lately Taesun's voice had taken on that tone more often when he spoke to his younger son. Taemin wondered if he didn't deserve this. Was this the first price of many he had to pay to be with Minho? For every lie there would be a punishment, and this was only the first whip lash. Soon his back would be covered with red streaks.

 

He tried to look at his father as he nodded. But the fear that his father could read behind his eyes what had happened immediately stopped him.

 

"I don't want him to come around again." Taemin tensed at his father's stern words.

 

If he wanted to see Minho outside of Sunday riding lessons, they had to find a way to remain unseen. Perhaps in the coming lesson they would find some time to themselves to talk about it.

 

"Okay." He whispered wearily under his breath.

 

His father nodded slowly. He didn't know what to say. He was sure Taemin certainly understood. These people from the city were different from them. The ideas and philosophies they brought with them were not in conformity with the words of God. Surely Taemin had noticed this already. But he wanted to trust in his son. Taemin had always been the more thoughtful of the two. He didn't want to admit it, but the fact that Taemin was now taking over the lessons and not Jinki, as agreed, reassured him. Jinki would probably only have got more nonsensical ideas into his head as a result.

 

'God bless this house and all those going in and out.'  Taemin read the text on the wooden board before walking up the stairs.

 

"Tae." Jinki came towards his brother excitedly but had to pause for a moment. It was to him that there was a sudden smell of smoke, but he could not make out the source of it. He shook the thought off immediately, though.

"Would you like to come again tonight?" he asked Taemin with a smile on his lips.

 

He didn't know if he would have come on his own, but he was sure that Taemin had felt comfortable with his friends. He had got on well with Key in particular and he wanted the two of them to get to know each other further. It was certainly an enrichment to see that homoual people were not the monsters they were made out to be in this place. He certainly just needed a push to ease his way. Taemin looked uncertainly down the stairs and then back at Jinki.

 

"What are we going to tell Dad?" Inwardly, Jinki was dancing. He was glad he had judged his brother correctly.

"I'll think of something." He said confidently.

 

For Taemin, the uncomfortable feeling of lying to their father again was written all over his face right now. Jinki patted his brother on the shoulder and went down the stairs happily.  

 

 

 

 

Jinki opened the door and the two discovered Key and Jessica. This time the windowless room didn't seem as scary to Taemin as it had last time. A lamp provided sparse yellowish light, but this time it seemed welcoming and cosy, not alien and vicious.

 

Jinki hugged his girlfriend and Taemin's heart warmed at the sight. Jinki's smile was so genuine and full of joy, it couldn't be wrong.

 

"So we didn't scare you away after all." Taemin had to smile at Key's words. He took Taemin to the sofa while Jessica and Jinki chatted at the other end of the room.

"Is it okay if we're here without Jonghyun?" asked Taemin as he couldn't see the brown haired man anywhere.

"Of course, that is why we all have a key." Key slowly let his palms roam over his thighs.

"So? How are you doing? With all this?" The uncertainty could be read in his face.

 

He could well imagine how confusing all this must be for Taemin. It was the first time Taemin had really thought about it. But it didn't take him long to notice what he was feeling. Not only was it not terrible, he was comfortable here.

 

"Good." He said and had to laugh a little at himself.

 

It didn't make sense and he didn't understand w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter