Job 5:5-7

Our Innermost Demons
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The hungry consume his harvest, taking it even from among thorns, and the thirsty pant after his wealth. For hardship does not spring from the soil, nor does trouble sprout from the ground. Yet man is born to trouble as surely as sparks fly upward.

Job 5:5-7

 

 

In Taesun's gaze, Minho recognised his resentment towards him. However, he could not make out where this aversion came from.

 

"Good morning, Mr Lee." He greeted him politely.

 

The fine suits and expensive ties in his wardrobe meant nothing to Minho. But this morning he was glad to have so many elegant clothes. However, now he didn't know whether this might not seem snobbish to Taemin's father. He was ashamed that he had chosen to wear a pair of suit trousers over simple jeans. Also, his shirt was perhaps too much with the label of an expensive brand, and a simple T-shirt would have been enough. From the way Taesun was looking him up and down, Minho felt he was insulting him.

 

"Good morning." But there was nothing good in Taesun's voice. Even on the phone he had sounded reluctant for Minho to come over.

"Is Taemin there?" Taesun sighed.

"Wait here." Minho nodded and the Lee family's front door closed in front of his face.

 

Minho didn't know what he had done wrong. Taemin and he hadn't told Taesun about them yet. So where did his hostility towards him come from? He found no answers to his questions and would not find them in the next few days. He postponed the thoughts until later. Below the porch he waited, with his heart pounding, for his lover.

 

"Who was that?" Jinki wanted to know. His father had opened the front door only briefly and closed it again soon after.

"Taemin!" called Taesun his younger son, ignoring his elder.

 

Walking down the stairs, Taemin threw on a light jacket. He tried not to smile, but to act normal, as usual. But flames of joy rose up inside him and settled around his cheeks as well.

 

"This is what happens when you invite these people to a party." Taesun held the door shut as Taemin touched the handle.

 

Jinki watched curiously at the two of them. He had a feeling Taemin looked a little more rested than usual, maybe even dressed up?

 

Taemin didn't dare to look at his father. He could only look at the floor and nod.

 

"I don't want him in my house." His father declared sternly and let go of the door. Again Taemin nodded wordlessly.

 

Minho had paid very good money, all at once and in advance. Taesun could not forbid him to have counselling talks with his daughter's teacher. Taesun did not want this city man to be at his farm outside of riding lessons. After all, they could talk about the coming lesson in class itself. So why did Minho have to come by outside of lessons? Having this outsider with him for a whole year would sooner or later form an ulcer, that much he knew. He hoped that his family was strong enough to survive this, otherwise he would tear it out.

 

Jinki stepped up to the window next to their front door. Looking satisfied, he gazed at his younger brother. He had already noticed that Taemin liked to spend his time with little Naeun and her father. Taemin always seemed so at ease then, just like when they were children. He didn't know where this courage came from that Taemin was willing to meet more and more new people, was open to new perspectives. Maybe even the Outsiders had something to do with it. Whatever it was, Jinki was happy to welcome it.   

 

 

 

 

Taemin wanted to fall into Minho's arms and Minho's breathing also increased a little when he saw the blond boy. But they were not allowed to touch yet. It was like a test of patience for Taemin to not immediately take Minho's hand and feel it around his own. In the dry prairie of the separation between their bodies, the satiating touch was so close. But the restraints of reality drew them away from immediately feeding on it.

 

"You look beautiful." Minho said softly under his breath.

 

Taemin played with his trembling fingers, burning to feel Minho's skin on his. The sea of flame within him raged and could only be tamed by the man who was looking at him.

 

"Shall we...perhaps walk a little?" he asked in a whisper, barely daring to look at Minho.

 

It was odd for both of them to walk side by side as if they were strangers. The narrow gap between demanded to be closed.

 

"You look very handsome yourself." Taemin dared to say, eyes fixed on the ground, when they had walked f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter