It’s Awkward

Don't Wake Me Up

Hi guys….. I hope you all liked the prompt. I have been preparing the story, not for long, so most of my drafts are not ready. I can give you weekly updates and if I’m lucky there will be biweekly updates too sometimes. It’s mostly gonna be Hyuk’s side of the story. I might come up with Hae’s POV too, but later.

For today … As the title suggests it’s going to be an awkward start for the main characters.

 

It’s Awkward

“Eunhyuk-ssi, be ready for the stage rehearsal in 10 mins”, The show staff informed Hyukjae’s team when he was getting ready. He was performing for a year-end concert. He has been an idol since he was 18. Now Lee Hyukjae, anonymously known by “Eunhyuk” is 24 years old, at the peak of his career. This year was really a success for him. A successful mini-album, an Asia tour, No. 1 in music shows, chart-topper songs, various variety show appearances….. in short, his brand value was in the top 10. Hyuk was really satisfied with the outcome of his hard work too. His team, his manager, the agency, everybody worked hard with him. He was really proud of everyone.

“Is he ready?”, he heard his manager asking the stylists. He saw the man in his late twenties entering the room. Park Jungsoo, was only 3 years older than Hyuk, but way mature than the boy. He has always admired the person since he knew him. Their relation was like real brothers, and also sometimes when Hyuk caused any trouble he found Jungsoo scolding him like his father. Some people also said they looked somewhat alike. Jungsoo has been his manager since his debut, has seen him struggling and growing up with success. His trail of thoughts was broken when he heard his hyung speak.

“Hyuk eat the Granola and drink the Gatorade before you go up there. I don’t want you fainting again from overworking your body. I have to then answer the agency and your parents who entrusted you with me.”Hyuk grumbled upon hearing those words. His hyung was kinda right. Recently due to the tight schedule he kind of neglected the functional necessity called food. Which led him to get sick after a show 3 days ago. Since then Jungsoo is on his back, checking the meal schedule from time to time. “Okay Hyung. Don’t worry, I’ll eat them. You can ask the staff to reconfirm also. Please don’t be upset.” He could see the man in front of him changing his expression from worry to somewhat a relief. A smile gracing his lips upon seeing his dongsaeng pouting. Jungsoo patted Hyuk in the back, “It’s okay Hyuk. Just know that I’m always worrying about your well-being since you were a middle-schooler. So take care of yourself.” In return, he got a reassuring smile from him.

The rehearsal and show ended without any incident and soon Hyuk was ready to leave. Before that, he wanted to meet his best friend, who was also performing there. Cho Kyuhyun, an idol from the famous ballad group K.R.Y., was from the same agency as him. He and Kyu had been friends since their trainee days. He is also close with the other two members of the group, Yesung and Ryeowook. They debuted 2 years later than him. But all of them were always good friends. They go out for dinner together, attend concerts, shows, movies together, cheer for each other’s success. Also, Hyuk being Kyu’s best friend, they always hang out at each other’s places, which led to the deep friendship between them.

Hyuk asked his stylist and got to know that KRY was already done with their performance and were in their waiting room. He quickly informed Jungsoo and went to meet his friends. The ballad singers were given a bigger waiting room than his and it was on the other side of the hallway. On his way, he met with the other artists and greeted them. The juniors praised him for the performance and the album, where his seniors congratulated him patting on his back, and wished for him to go long. At last, he reached the waiting room and opened the door. As soon as he entered, he was greeted with the sight of his best friend lying on the couch with his eyes glued to the phone and the other two were having their snacks while gossiping. Hyuk shook his head with disbelief and approached them. “Hyukjae Hyung, your performance was so good. I loved it. You looked so cool.”, Ryeowook chirped when he noticed Hyuk standing near the couch. Ryeowook’s greeting caught Kyu’s attention and he also looked at his best friend. “Ryeowook-ah, Thank You. You guys were great too. You melted my heart. I watched it from the waiting room.”, Hyuk replied with a hearty smile.

“Yeah yeah, Eunhyuk and his fanboy.”, Kyu spoke while getting up and letting Hyuk sit beside him, “If Wookie could, he would’ve been in the front row with your light-stick in his hand. Believe me.” Yesung chuckled at his words and Ryeowook just pouted, “So what! I have been his fan since his debut. I used to worship him in my trainee days. When I met hyung later on and got to know him more I was more amazed. And you should be glad. Just because you are hyung’s best friend I’m not telling you anything. Or else the way you insult me on daily basis, I would’ve killed you. Huh !!” “Yah, guys please don’t start fighting now.”, Yesung intervened when he saw Kyu was ready to open his mouth for a comeback and it’ll not end well, “We really had a long schedule for the whole week and at last it’s weekend. Let us enjoy ourselves with Happy faces. Please, Don’t kill anyone.” “Okay hyung, just because I’m tired.”, Kyu, at last, closed the topic. “Yah, Kim Ryeowook, Sorry. You know I love you right.”, he said while making faces at the other. “Hmm… I know… Me too…”, the other replied while rolling his eyes at him. Hyukjae and Yesung started laughing while looking at the scene. Hyuk loved this kind of atmosphere in the waiting room.

While the drama was going on Hyuk’s eyes went to the TV screen in the waiting room. The tune playing there was so catchy and heartwarming that he couldn’t ignore it. The artist performing now was Lee Donghae. The soloist debuted a year later than him and was very popular from the start. He composes most of his own songs and they are absolute hits. Hyuk kind of respected him for that. He already knew that they were of the same age and people in the industry always compare their work and success. Some tabloids also announced them as rivals in the industry. Although neither Hyuk nor Donghae ever showed anything like that in public or personal. The fact was just that they were not close. They had mutual friends, who introduced them but they didn’t talk much, as both of them were new back then and were always dragged by their managers to meet other people. This kinda continued for a long time and in the end, the lack of conversation made their relationship awkward. Even now after 5 years they still don’t have any long conversation other than greeting or congratulating each other. They were just not a match and basically Awkward.

While he was watching the performance, his best friend must have noticed it. ‘Cause as soon as the stage ended he heard Kyu clearing his voice. “Hyung you look tired. Have you been eating? Or are you still giving Jungsoo hyung a headache over that ?” That question reminded Hyuk how the other guy was taking care of him since the trainee days. He always tended to mess up his meal schedule whenever he was under pressure, and the younger always came to his rescue at that time. May it be by force-feeding him scolding or luring him with his favorite strawberry milk. “Yes Kyu, I’m taking care of myself properly eating from time to time, and even if I forget, Jungsoo hyung is always there on my back reminding me. So stop worrying.” Hyuk tried to assure the younger. “Yeah says the one who’s been fainting since I know him. You and your weird habits.”, the younger said snickering.

“Oh talking about weird! I saw how you were watching the TV earlier.” Hyuk could hear the smirk already on the other’s voice. “Yeah, it was a good performance. I really liked it. Especially the one with Henry. Their joint composition was so good. Donghae’s lyrics and Henry’s music all together blend so well. Also for your information, there is nothing weird in checking any other artists’ performances Kyu.” Hyuk rolled his eyes at his best friend. “Not any other artist hyung. Just Lee Donghae. It’s just that you guys don’t match at all and also you guys are basically tabloid claimed rivals. So, it’s really weird seeing you ogling him on the TV”, Kyu said laughing. “No one was ogling no one. I was just watching the performance as it was so good. Stop making weird scenarios in your head kid.”, Hyuk was irritated at that moment. That tone seemed to get to Kyuhyun and he stopped laughing. “Okay hyung. If you say so. I really don’t know how you can avoid the tension between you two. It’s not only me, Heechul hyung noticed too. He even asked Jungsoo hyung if you guys ever dated, as Donghae hyung too avoided your topic like anything. So, I joked about it.” Kyu explained to a frowning Hyuk. “Oh and I forgot to tell you! Donghae hyung and Henry are sharing the waiting room with us. And they’ll be coming back any time now. So you better wipe that drool off your face.”, with that smirking Kyu went back to his game.

Hyuk didn’t even get much time to register the other’s words, as on cue the door to the waiting room opened and entered Lee Donghae with Henry behind him. Ryeowook was already out of his seat as he approached the two and hugged them tightly. “You guys were so great. The song just more awesome live.” He said that while pinching Henry’s cheek when the other was protesting. The cute scene just made Hyuk laugh, which apparently was enough to catch Henry’s attention. “Eunhyuk Hyung! Hi! Oh My God… I haven’t seen you for a long time. How are you? Oh, and your performance was so so good. You looked so cool on the stage.” Henry said all of that in a single breath. “Wow… And there goes Eunhyuk fanboy no. 2.” Hyuk heard Kyu sighing beside him before he could reply. Henry just blushed at that and Ryeowook again pinched his cheeks. “Aww thank you Henry-ah. You guys were great too. The composition was brilliant. The orchestra goes so well with that song. I must say this collab is really a great success.” Hyuk replied with his gummy smile to the artists and his eyes went to Donghae.

Then only he noticed that the other was looking at him through the mirror, with an unreadable expression all over his face. When Donghae noticed Hyukjae looking at him he turned around and greeted him, "Hello Eunhyuk-ssi.” “Hello Donghae-ssi.”, Hyuk replied and the awkwardness followed. Everyone in the room was able to read the situation. Ryeowook and Henry looked at each other and shrugged. Kyuhyun found the situation too interesting to interrupt. Yesung was the first one to break the silence by clearing his throat and that ended the staring which Hyuk had no idea he was doing. “I actually didn’t see you while coming in. By the way, your performance was great,” Donghae said to the older. “Umm... Thank you. You too. Were great. I mean your performance was great. And It’s okay. You guys must be tired and want to rest. I’ll just leave. Don’t worry.” Hyuk replied with the ongoing awkwardness.

“No hyung. Absolutely not. We have no problem with you being here. I’m really glad I got to see you here and I’ll love it if you stay here with us. I mean I don’t think Donghae hyung has any problem too. Yeah, Hyung?” Henry spoke in haste before Hyuk could even move from the couch. All eyes automatically went to Donghae anticipating his answer. Henry was literally begging his hyung with his eyes to speak soon. “Of course I have no issues with him being here. It’s absolutely alright. You don’t need to go anywhere. Please stay here. We will like it.”, Donghae replied with a smile, relieving everyone from the awkward situation. Then he excused himself and went back to change.

Hyuk saw the others already getting busy with themselves after the awkwardness ended. Ryeowook & Henry chatting animatedly in the corner, Yesung searching the best angle and lighting to click his selfies, Kyuhyun as usual glued to his phone maybe playing some game, and Donghae removing his make-up. He again caught a glance of Donghae watching him through the mirror with that unreadable expression on his face and when their eyes met for a split second, both looked away.

If Hyuk was being honest to himself, this was not the very first time he caught the younger, looking at him discreetly. It has happened before too, basically Every-time. It’s such a gaze that he cannot explain in a single word and this fact literally bugs Hyukjae whenever he thinks about it. Moreover the fact that they are not that close to look at each other like that. It’s kind of an elusive longing gaze but also not in an improper way. It’s not that it has ever made Hyuk feel any uncomfortable, just that it stirs some thoughts in his mind and sensations in his stomach which he very surely will like to avoid. The giddy feeling gets Hyukjae all heated up every time. Suddenly he started feeling too hot in the room filled with all these people.

“Hyung, you’re blushing…” Hyuk heard from his side and saw Kyu smirking at him. “And, I think you’ll again say that the room is hot with all these people and so your face is getting red. Right? Especially, with Donghae hyung.” Hyuk found himself looking at his best friend with no comebacks ready. If he started rambling Kyu will find out and or if he just denied then he’ll get more pestered. Both of the options were not safe. He was just preparing for the comeback in his mind to speak when they heard a commotion outside the door. Soon the door opened and a person entered the room while shouting everyone’s names.

Kim Heechul, another solo artist of the industry, was in front of the door gathering everyone’s attention. Heechul was known for his energy among the friends. “Wherever he goes, the party follows him”, and that’s exactly how he described himself. Known for his extroverted and open nature, Heechul was basically friends with everyone, be it juniors, seniors, staff, or even managers. So, everyone in this room was somehow acquainted with him. Heechul declared Yesung as his AB brother and Ryeowook came as a package, Kyuhyun and him were drinking buddies which led Hyuk to join the group too. Now Heechul claimed Hyuk as one of his best friends. Donghae was basically Heechul’s dongsaeng since debut and he found Henry too cute to ignore. That’s the reason, when he entered the room he needed all the attention.

Suddenly Hyuk found himself getting sandwiched between Kyu and Heechul. Somehow Jungsoo hyung was also there in the room, whom Hyuk was very sure got dragged here by Heechul hyung. Hyuk always noticed how Heechul had this weird obsession for his manager hyung, where the latter always obeyed him for professionalism. Whenever Heechul saw Jungsoo, he’ll either attach himself to the other or he’ll drag him around with himself. Jungsoo due to his professional manner politely declined twice maybe, but Heechul never listened to him and now it’s just a normal thing. Hyuk thought maybe because they were of the same age and found comfort with each other’s friendship. So, he never thought of it in any other way as Heechul was always like that.

“So. Kids… What are you all doing after this? It’s a Saturday night. I’m kinda sure you guys have no schedules for tomorrow as I already asked your managers. I am too riled up with all the workload the past few weeks and want to go somewhere to release the frustration. I can’t find any other good places for my therapy than the club, And you guys are joining me.” Heechul declared from the couch. When he sensed some rejections coming his way, he quickly added,” And no! You can’t say no. I already asked your managers, booked the place and everything. You should also remember the consequences of saying no, yeah ??” As soon as that left his mouth, several grunts followed. Hyuk grimaced at the thought of the consequences. Obviously, Heechul was all sweet and lovey-dovey to you when he wanted, but he could also turn into a the next moment. Everyone was kinda scared of that side of him so he always got his ways.

When Heechul got everyone’s agreement in the room, he clapped his hands in excitement, “Yes! So let’s get going. My other friends are also coming and I just couldn’t think of the party without you guys there. It’s gonna be an interesting and awesome night. We will have so much fun. Also, we have to solve some unresolved issues tonight. Just the tension has been so much recently.” The last lines he said with a creepy smile looking at Kyuhyun, and the other just winked at him. That exchange between his two friends just made Hyukjae anxious, as nothing good ever came from that alliance. Soon he started regretting his decision of joining his friends. His eyes went to Donghae and also found the other frowning at Heechul. When Heechul noticed that, he just gave his best smile to Donghae, who just raised his eyebrows at his hyung mouthing, “Unbelievable”. Heechul scoffed at that and went to pat Hyukjae on his back gaining his attention. Hyukjae again looked at Donghae and this time making eye contact. But as usual, Donghae awkwardly tore his eyes again and sighed to himself. He was kinda looking frustrated at this point. Which made Hyuk suspicious and he just started thinking to himself.

 

“Does this guy seriously hate me or something? Why so Awkward! Ugh !”

 

And this thought continued roaming his mind and he kept glancing at Donghae till the time he was dragged to the party. Without knowing that two pairs of eyes were continuously watching his every movement.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 

 

Here goes the first boring chapter of the story. I tried to make it as awkward as possible LOL… Sorry, I don’t know how it ended up this way basically. I really wanted to make it interesting but it kinda turned out like this. I request you all bear with it for now and I’ll try to write better chapters from now on. This story is not gonna be very long. Maximum 15-20 chaps. The reason is my laziness. If I even try to drag it after that I might end up abandoning the story. So, I won’t. See you guys next week with another update. I’m kinda busy this week, but I’ll surely try to update at the start of the week. So, enjoy for now. Tell me via commenting your ideas. And sorry again for the boring update.

Also, I'm searching for someone who can help me out with the cover of the story. It'll be great help then. You can text me anytime on Twitter @gummy_hyukkie . 

BYE.